post #271 of 2370 Old 06-17-2007, 10:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Leisle View Post

Definitely not good news for HD DVD - any way you look at it.

With that being said, anyone have one of the 250 pilots in their area? I do. You know how many HD titles (HD DVD or Blu-ray the one in my area rented? The blue shirt guy I chatted with told me it was < 100 HD titles they've rented since day one of stocking them. When I asked when we can expect other stores to start stocking HD media, he said it was just the pilots for now, but because demand was so low, he said Blockbuster was telling them they weren't sure if they'd continue to stock HD at all. Granted, this is just what the guy was relaying to me, don't have any idea what the actual or total figures are like.

As I mentioned somewhere, one positive piece of news for those who care about HD on discs more than they care about a specific format is that Blockbuster is moving forward for one of the formats. I think there are different groups around here that can be broken down along lines like those who have a favorite format and if it doesn't succeed they want the other one to fail also, those who have a favorite format but care more about one winning than it being their chosen format, etc.

I've seen more than one person here post that if somebody wants the quickest end to the format war they should support HD DVD. I believe I have pointed out more than once that this was likely true if HD DVD was going to be the eventual winner, but if Blu-ray was going to be the eventual winner than that strategy could prolong the time before the end of the format war. And same thing for supporting just Blu-ray.

People around here who care greatly about the future of HD on discs have some choices to make. They can band together with some other people and push even harder for HD DVD to try to come back from this setback and other data that seems to be working against them (latest disc sales in NA, Europe, Australia, Japan, etc.), they can band together to try to push Blu-ray to a big enough lead to end the war, they can just go on getting movies they care about regardless of the format, etc. I understand people getting behind HD DVD or Blu-ray based on their philosophical beliefs about the companies or because they believe one is better. But we shouldn't fool ourselves into believing that supporting format x doesn't have a chance of just extending the war, if format x was going to lose anyway.

--Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 2370 Old 06-17-2007, 10:47 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiable-Akuma View Post

Yeah, and you know, - for this above truth - I don't even know if I can or will blame the HD DVD group's inability/unwillingness to put out a lot of content during the first half of this year. I mean, HD DVD blew its wad and seemingly rightfully so during the '06 Xmas period and before. And there's no reason that Batman Begins, King Kong, and etc shouldn't have sold to more people during the first half of this year months after their particular release anway. I mean they ARE good titles. HD DVD has had A LOT of great, even exclusive content.

i think that was their biggest blunder. releasing all of their content when installed base was microscopic, they should have targeted xmas '07 not '06. sony still has not announced Spiderman...
post #273 of 2370 Old 06-17-2007, 10:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiminozo View Post

Bad news, what's next for Toshiba? They need to do something really quick now rather than later. Toshiba is too slow while Sony going around making deal after deal with others. Toshiba can't win this alone.

Toshiba might have to go at it alone. The only arsenals at its disposal:

-pull a "BDA at CES 2007" stunt and have its exclusive studios (Universal, Weinstein, etc.) announce a ton of movies coming down late in 2007 and early 2008 to inspire confidence in potential HD-DVD buyers that they'll have good movies to watch (although they won't be able to rent them at BB);

-lower the MSRP of the HD-A2, HD-A20 and HD-XA2 immediately by $100, essentially making the $100 promotional discount a permanent one.

-lower the MSRP of the HD-A2 to $249 by September so that, by October, stores can start selling it by $199. Even if HD-DVD's can't be rented, for less than $200 HD-A2 units are going to sell and create a user-base even BB won't be able to ignore;

-Toshiba should suspend its royalty payments for HD-DVD from supporting studios momentarily (a few months) so that they can apply a small discount ($5 average) to new and catalog titles. If HD-DVD software is priced lower then it will become impulse purchase fodder.

No matter what I say there's no way to NOT admit that these are all temporary solutions to a bigger problem: PERCEIVED smaller user-base by inclusion of BD on the PS3. For HD-DVD to become mainstream it needs to be as rentable as DVD, and for that to happen HD-DVD needs Blockbuster (70% of the rental market isn't something to sneeze at) as much as BD. BD already has it, so only be achieving player penetration high-enough to match BD's (when the PS3's are included) will BB change its mind and also rent HD-DVD. Either that or Tosh will have to get into the bribe game Sony and the studios used to get BB on board as BD backers. And we know that at this game Sony is king!
post #274 of 2370 Old 06-17-2007, 10:50 PM
AVS Special Member

here's the official PR Release from Blockbuster.

Quote:

Blockbuster to Expand Blu-Ray to 1,700 Stores

Company will continue to offer HD DVD titles online and in select number of
stores

DALLAS, June 18 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- In response to the growing
demand for high-definition DVDs, Blockbuster Inc. (NYSE: BBI, BBI.B) today
announced that it is rolling out an expanded Blu-ray disc inventory for
rental to 1,700 corporate-owned BLOCKBUSTER(R) stores by mid-July. The
Company will continue to offer both Blu-ray and HD DVD titles through its
online rental service, http://www.blockbuster.com, and will continue to offer both
formats at its initial 250 stores that currently carry both high-definition
formats.

"We intend to meet the demands of our customers and based on the trends
we're seeing, we're expanding our Blu-ray inventory to ensure our stores
reflect the right level of products," said Matthew Smith, SVP Merchandising
for Blockbuster. "While it is still too early to say which high-definition
format will become the industry standard, we will continue to closely
monitor customer rental patterns both at our stores and online, so we can
adjust our inventory mix accordingly and ensure that Blockbuster is
offering customers the most convenient access to the movies they want, in
the format they want."

When Blu-ray and HD DVD were introduced to the marketplace in 2006,
Blockbuster began offering the high-definition formats on all titles in
which it was available through blockbuster.com. The Company also introduced
both formats on select titles in 250 stores in November of 2006. With
Blu-ray rentals significantly outpacing HD DVD rentals at its BLOCKBUSTER
stores, the Company made the decision to expand the number of stores
offering the Blu-ray format.

With the expansion in July, the 1,700 stores will be carrying more than
170 titles in Blu-ray and will continue to add titles in the format as they
are released from the studios.

"We are excited to be able to make more high-definition titles
available to our customers in those stores where our research indicates
there will be the most demand," said Smith. "Obviously, when customers are
ready we can expand the Blu-ray offering into more stores and add HD DVD to
more locations if that's what customers tell us they want. We'll continue
to work with the movie studios to ensure we have the right assortment of
products."

Blu-ray formatted titles are available from Sony Pictures Home
Entertainment, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Home Entertainment, FOX Home
Entertainment, Buena Vista Home Entertainment, Lionsgate Home
Entertainment, Warner Home Video, and Paramount Home Entertainment and can
be played on Blu-ray dedicated players, Sony PLAYSTATION(R)3 (PS3(TM)) or a
Blu-ray compatible computer drive.

About Blockbuster
Blockbuster Inc. is a leading global provider of in-home movie and game
entertainment, with more than 8,000 stores throughout the Americas, Europe,
Asia and Australia. The Company may be accessed worldwide at
http://www.blockbuster.com.

SOURCE Blockbuster Inc.

post #275 of 2370 Old 06-17-2007, 10:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbay View Post

I know it's not going to happen but it would be funny if Universal said to BB that they won't get any more Universal titles until they stock HD DVD.

It would help if Universal had some bigger day-and-date titles to push their position. As it is Knocked Up looks like it will be their first title since King Kong to bring in over $120 million at the US box office. They spent a lot of money on Evan Almighty and maybe it will be huge, but from the previews I'm somewhat skeptical. Bourne Supremacy should do pretty well, but isn't likely to come out on disc until late in the year and there is some good stuff likely to day-and-date from the other side.

For HD DVD fans looking for some good news, I think they'll probably win their first week this year by Nielsen numbers the week ending July 1st (we should get the data July 6th), given the overwhelming number of releases on HD DVD that week compared to 2 non-exclusives for Blu-ray that week and the recent HD DVD player sales.

--Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
post #276 of 2370 Old 06-17-2007, 10:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Just wanted to highlight one thing:
Quote:
Originally Posted by los seres View Post

here's the official PR Release from Blockbuster.
Quote:

"Obviously, when customers are ready we can expand the Blu-ray offering into more stores and add HD DVD to more locations if that's what customers tell us they want. We'll continue to work with the movie studios to ensure we have the right assortment of products."

They've left themselves a reasonable opening if things change.

--Darin

post #277 of 2370 Old 06-17-2007, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Leisle View Post

With that being said, anyone have one of the 250 pilots in their area? I do.

Yeah, I do - my BB was one of the first to be a pilot (check one of my old posts for a thread I made with a bunch of pictures of the store/sections/and info/etc).

...and NOW THAT YOU MENTION IT - this whole situation MAY HAVE ACTUALLY BEEN A SELF-FULFILLING PROPHECY.

Because from the very start, as far as I can judge, the selection for and promotion of BD discs in the Blockbuster store was somewhat very clearly slanted toward BD over HD DVD - whether Blockbuster intentionally meant to have a bias or not.

First of all, for weeks the HD DVD section was only half the size of the BD section. Then things slowly evened out. But beyond that, what I mean is - both sections in the store (even when they would have the same amount of movies) - the BD side would seem to have all the "most-wanted" titles for the format while the opposite was true for HD DVD. I don't know if Blockbuster headquarters was choosing at random or what but it always ticked me off.

I mean on the BD side you would have Terminator 1, 2, Saw, and X-men: The Last Stand but on HD DVD you would not see it's early "most-wanted" titles like Batman Begins, Goodfellas, the Fast and the Furious Trilogy, or what have you. Rather you'd see more stuff like Full Metal Jacket, The Perfect Storm, and EVEN wierd s*** like HD DVDS first music titles. LIKE THE U2 title! Seriously that was taking up an HD DVD slot at the BB store, while Total Recall had that slot for BD or whatever.

I always remember thinking that if you were a non-enthusiast just casually looking at the situation - that even right there - you would just naturally assume that BD is the better, more supported by Blockbuster/retailers/studios format - even if it were completely not true.

So in conclusion: I have a feeling that the fairness to which Blockbuster applied their test to the 250 stores was never really that equal and that they may have created the test results partially by their own doing of displaying a conscious or unconscious bias for BD all along in-store.
post #278 of 2370 Old 06-17-2007, 10:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by desmond212 View Post

i think that was their biggest blunder. releasing all of their content when installed base was microscopic, they should have targeted xmas '07 not '06.

They had to make it to xmas '07 first and if they hadn't released so much so far they would probably be in an even worse position now. Universal has released 9 out of 10 of their top 5 box office draws in the US for 2005 and 2006 (they have Inside Man left) and that is one way they kept the sales ratio since inception down to where it is instead of being even better for Blu-ray.

--Darin

post #279 of 2370 Old 06-17-2007, 10:58 PM

You guys also have to remember that blu-rays scratch proof coating probably had a LOT to do with this decision as well. I dont think you want me to pull up every single post in the hd-dvd forum about scratched rented discs not playing. There isnt enough time in the world to go through them all. Blu-Ray has much better success with renting, and that probably helped quite a bit.
post #280 of 2370 Old 06-17-2007, 11:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally Poster by DSET
Unless Heroes sells phenomonally well HDDVD has to pull something bigg out of their closet, Gladiator\\star wars\\LOTR\\Full soprano's seasons\\Indiana Jone\\godfather\\shrek..something please give us something to chew on
I mean their upcoming big titles are multiformat
what are they doing?

Maybe I mis-interpreted your post, but you do realize all of the titles you mention are either Blu-ray only or Dual Format?

fitprod
post #281 of 2370 Old 06-17-2007, 11:03 PM

Thanks

Sorry dad1153, I'm new at this. Looks like I missed quote your last post.
post #282 of 2370 Old 06-17-2007, 11:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitprod View Post

A few years ago I believe Universal tried to re-negotiate their rental revenue term with Blockbuster to favor Universal. Blockbuster sat on the side lines and didn't order titles for a few weeks...

Universal blinked, and lost...

Universal needs Blockbuster more than Blockbuster needs Universal.

fitprod

S***!

LOL...
post #283 of 2370 Old 06-17-2007, 11:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolver View Post

ack_bk , who knows, maybe I am being paranoid about this.

It's just that Viacomm I think owns BlockBuster (or did, anyway), and somone or some company that owns a controlling interest in them also owns a game company that Sony just did a deal with that involves a movie tie-in (Hardboiled). So my point being Sony's involvement in this BB announcement may be unofficial, but possibly not trivial. Someone with more than my pitiful knowledge of such matters want to chime in on specifics?

It's also a smart move to solidify their B&M position.

However, I don't think this is over just yet. Cost of entry still counts for a lot, especially if all you're going to do is rent.

Whether Blockbuster and the BDA (a.ka., Sony) made a deal or not, the fact is that very soon a large number of Blockbuster stores will have at least a section of BD movies which is going to get a lot of people asking questions about BD.

Whether that is a an ace in the hole for BD to sew this up by Xmas of this year is anyone's guess. About the only hope Toshiba has now is convincing Warner to counter with some big, BIG releases in the next month or two coupled with even lower hardware prices?

Toshiba needs to grow the user base by 500K units between now and Q4 just to hang on, it's hard to say if that's even possible now.

I'm interested in what Kosty's take is on this. Will Walmart and other big box stores still move forward with a mult-Billion dollar investment in HD DVD if in fact consumer perception is that HD DVD is a "loser" format?

All in all, huge win for BD. The visability and essentially "free" advertising for BD at the "local video store" is priceless.
post #284 of 2370 Old 06-17-2007, 11:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2 View Post

For HD DVD fans looking for some good news, I think they'll probably win their first week this year by Nielsen numbers the week ending July 1st (we should get the data July 6th), given the overwhelming number of releases on HD DVD that week compared to 2 non-exclusives for Blu-ray that week and the recent HD DVD player sales.

--Darin

That may of been the case, but this news is certainly going to curtail some HD-DVD spending... no?
post #285 of 2370 Old 06-17-2007, 11:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBee View Post

You guys also have to remember that blu-rays scratch proof coating probably had a LOT to do with this decision as well. I dont think you want me to pull up every single post in the hd-dvd forum about scratched rented discs not playing. There isnt enough time in the world to go through them all. Blu-Ray has much better success with renting, and that probably helped quite a bit.

both have their negaitives. hd dvd is no weaker then dvd in the scratch area. but blu ray is thus the reason it needs the extra layer

but look what blu ray gets and hd dvd doesnt.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=857067
post #286 of 2370 Old 06-17-2007, 11:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamus1099 View Post

That may of been the case, but this news is certainly going to curtail some HD-DVD spending... no?

Maybe but it got me to order five titles from Amazon.
post #287 of 2370 Old 06-17-2007, 11:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiminozo View Post

Sorry dad1153, I'm new at this. Looks like I missed quote your last post.

No problem. Considering the hell we HD-DVD supporters going through this is small potatoes.
post #288 of 2370 Old 06-17-2007, 11:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

if so a very small number VERY...
now it will hurt renting though

but heh better for netflix they get hd dvd owners money now. Cause if you only support hd dvd, IMO you would be hurting them if you keep your membership with blockbuster, just switch to netflix...
post #289 of 2370 Old 06-17-2007, 11:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

From some people. But maybe HD DVD fans here will band together and have more buy days. And maybe the news will get Toshiba to lower prices further or HD DVD studios to run deals that will increase sales. I don't expect Toshiba or Microsoft to go quietly into the night. Universal might (basically go neutral), but I think we can count on those 2 to put up a fight.

--Darin

post #290 of 2370 Old 06-17-2007, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone else still wondering when the delayed titles from fox and disney are finnaly gonna get new release dates? forget all this mambo jumbo about blockbuster, what good is it without many new releases? how many times can you rent little men
post #291 of 2370 Old 06-17-2007, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitprod View Post

Maybe I mis-interpreted your post, but you do realize all of the titles you mention are either Blu-ray only or Dual Format?

fitprod

really?
New line is LOTR right?
arent they Mutual
cant they sign an exclusive with Time Warner to get LOTR on HDDVD
or something along thoose lines?

and isnt dreamworks HDDVD only?
no? gladiator\\Shrek etc??

no?

"anyone for Tennis?"
post #292 of 2370 Old 06-17-2007, 11:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggster View Post

but heh better for netflix they get hd dvd owners money now. Cause if you only support hd dvd, IMO you would be hurting them if you keep your membership with blockbuster, just switch to netflix...

The Blockbuster release said that they could change things later. Also, online should continue having HD DVDs available. If all the HD DVD fans leave then maybe the online will stop carrying new HD DVDs and Blockbuster will probably feel even better about their decision for those other stores. But I could see HD DVD fans banding together to try to make sure that Netflix goes their way or stays neutral.

--Darin

post #293 of 2370 Old 06-17-2007, 11:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2 View Post

From some people. But maybe HD DVD fans here will band together and have more buy days. And maybe the news will get Toshiba to lower prices further or HD DVD studios to run deals that will increase sales. I don't expect Toshiba or Microsoft to go quietly into the night. Universal might (basically go neutral), but I think we can count on those 2 to put up a fight.

--Darin

Actually I don't think MS has a lot invested in HD DVD. I was rather miffed though to see some quote from the Blockbuster exec who made this decision indicating that MS might produce a BD drive for the 360, that rumor was shot down quite some time ago.
post #294 of 2370 Old 06-17-2007, 11:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

Actually I don't think MS has a lot invested in HD DVD. I was rather miffed though to see some quote from the Blockbuster exec who made this decision indicating that MS might produce a BD drive for the 360, that rumor was shot down quite some time ago.

It is unfortunate that there is so much misinformation. On the other hand, maybe that will make it a self fulfilling prophecy.

--Darin

post #295 of 2370 Old 06-17-2007, 11:19 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^Yeah, a lot of that seems to be going around (see my post just prior to this one).

BTW, so if Blockbuster did this same thing with SD DVD and went small test group to big test group to nationwide over time...

How long will it be before BD goes from 1700 stores to nationwide? Will it take complete BD mainstream acceptance or do you think Blockbuster will be willing to go nationwide some time before that?
post #296 of 2370 Old 06-17-2007, 11:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Great news for Netflix!

Not so great news once new subsrcibers start renting HD DVD, you will notice that your HD DVDs in your Queue will have much longer wait time.
post #297 of 2370 Old 06-17-2007, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

No problem. Considering the hell we HD-DVD supporters going through this is small potatoes.

I wonder when is the next CES event?
post #298 of 2370 Old 06-17-2007, 11:27 PM
Advanced Member

http://www.blockbuster.com/corporate/newReleases

Company will continue to offer HD DVD titles online and in select number of stores

DALLAS, June 18 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- In response to the growing demand for high-definition DVDs, Blockbuster Inc. (NYSE: BBI)(NYSE: BBI.B) today announced that it is rolling out an expanded Blu-ray disc inventory for rental to 1,700 corporate-owned BLOCKBUSTER® stores by mid-July. The Company will continue to offer both Blu-ray and HD DVD titles through its online rental service, http://www.blockbuster.com/, and will continue to offer both formats at its initial 250 stores that currently carry both high-definition formats.

"We intend to meet the demands of our customers and based on the trends we're seeing, we're expanding our Blu-ray inventory to ensure our stores reflect the right level of products," said Matthew Smith, SVP Merchandising for Blockbuster. "While it is still too early to say which high-definition format will become the industry standard, we will continue to closely monitor customer rental patterns both at our stores and online, so we can adjust our inventory mix accordingly and ensure that Blockbuster is offering customers the most convenient access to the movies they want, in the format they want."

When Blu-ray and HD DVD were introduced to the marketplace in 2006, Blockbuster began offering the high-definition formats on all titles in which it was available through blockbuster.com. The Company also introduced both formats on select titles in 250 stores in November of 2006. With Blu-ray rentals significantly outpacing HD DVD rentals at its BLOCKBUSTER stores, the Company made the decision to expand the number of stores offering the Blu-ray format.

With the expansion in July, the 1,700 stores will be carrying more than 170 titles in Blu-ray and will continue to add titles in the format as they are released from the studios.

"We are excited to be able to make more high-definition titles available to our customers in those stores where our research indicates there will be the most demand," said Smith. "Obviously, when customers are ready we can expand the Blu-ray offering into more stores and add HD DVD to more locations if that's what customers tell us they want. We'll continue to work with the movie studios to ensure we have the right assortment of products."

Blu-ray formatted titles are available from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Home Entertainment, FOX Home Entertainment, Buena Vista Home Entertainment, Lionsgate Home Entertainment, Warner Home Video, and Paramount Home Entertainment and can be played on Blu-ray dedicated players, Sony PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3) or a Blu-ray compatible computer drive
post #299 of 2370 Old 06-17-2007, 11:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xylon View Post

Great news for Netflix!

Not so great news once new subsrcibers start renting HD DVD, you will notice that your HD DVDs in your Queue will have much longer wait time.

Maybe, Maybe they will stock more with more demand Try to keep hd dvd owners happy and cut down on delay times. I dumped blockbuster after a month cause everything I had that was new releases on blu ray and hd dvd was on a waiting or shipping from far away. I have yet to not get at least one new releases every tuesday from netflix
post #300 of 2370 Old 06-17-2007, 11:35 PM

I have to say that at some point, I just want to own a format that has a LONG life ahead of it...

If HD DVD called it quits tomorrow, I'd be fine with having spent 45 x ~$22
and
If Blu-ray called it quits tomorrow, I'd be fine with having spent 60 x ~$22

either way....
Reply HDTV Software Media Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page