Blockbuster Blu-ray announcement: Master Thread - Page 20 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #571 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 08:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Rob Tomlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: SoCal
Posts: 13,752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

You must be kidding. These are two entirely different issues.

Optical media is on it's last legs, but which one wins the war, if anyone, remains to be seen.

HD downloads, on the other hand, are inevitable.

Wow Ken. Different issues? No, different subjects. The issue was what you said was improper: stating opinion as fact. Seems it is ok for you to state opinion as fact, but not others....unless it is to agree with you on HD downloads.
Rob Tomlin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #572 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
xbdestroya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,650
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by plazman View Post

No they don't. They gain zero competitive advantage over any of their rivals by doing this. They gain nothing whether BD wins or loses for them....A car rental company does not care whether Ford or GM sells more cars. They just rent cars.....same story here.

That's probably the worst analogy you could have used, because they usually rent only one maker of car (and have favorable purchase agreements in place to boot).
xbdestroya is offline  
post #573 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 08:20 AM
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 19,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by plazman View Post

I don't know about the rental market for these products. But Blockbuster still carries VHS. A market that is rapidly shrinking...

You do not get out of a growing market, or one where one format has 40% share and the other 60%.....unlike Disney and Fox who care about DRM, Blockbuster has no horse in the race.

It is not 60/40 it is 66/34 so rounding Up instead of rounding down:

70/30

Just keeping you honest Plaz

And as far as VHS - from Wiki:

Although VHS is slowly disappearing, this dilemma does bring along with it opportunities, such as media conversion services, dual-deck and DVD/VCR combination systems, and even a lucrative re-sell market on auction and second-hand equipment sites. Consumers still retain the technology as well. The Washington Post has noted that as of 2005, 94.5 million Americans still owned VHS format VCRs.
Lee Stewart is offline  
post #574 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
_Avarice_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 4,666
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo1965 View Post

Until Rolling Stone Magazine says its over, ....

Who the hell cares what Rolling Stone has to say?

Avarice
_Avarice_ is offline  
post #575 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Monty22001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,057
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by skogan View Post

If what you are interested in primarily is the next gen DVD, then yes. But if you're interested in the next gen gaming system, then it was smart to keep the HD DVD drive out.

Sony and MS had different priorities, and that's why both did the right thing for their companies.

If Halo 3 or GTA4 needs 2 DVD's, people will appreciate the BD in PS3.
Monty22001 is offline  
post #576 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 08:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Rob Tomlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: SoCal
Posts: 13,752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBee View Post

Blockbuster is just the start of the chain reaction...

Quote:


Originally Posted by paidgeek
I have heard from a reliable source that Target will go BD hardware exclusive...

Looks like you may be on to something here Jack!
Rob Tomlin is offline  
post #577 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Monty22001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,057
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbdestroya View Post

That's probably the worst analogy you could have used, because they usually rent only one maker of car (and have favorable purchase agreements in place to boot).

I'm amazed myself. If one took gasoline, and the other biodiesel only..
Monty22001 is offline  
post #578 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member
 
donricouga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post

An emotional investment for some I would imagine. If this COUP D'ETAT continues, it would appear that those still fighting on the HD-DVD side will look like they are fighting against massive High Def adoption.. Some people who have HDDVD branded in their names and have their sig's filled with HD-DVD fanboy links will without a doubt continue the fight. However at this point it is still early for this format war and it is not over even though this is as close as it has ever gotten so far... BY Christmas if this Domino effect continues, we shall have a clear winner since all that shopping at Blu-Ray only retailers will have a massive impact against HD-DVD adoption..

Correct, and some stores, especially best buy have shown some bias.
For instance, in my best buy in midtown atlanta, they not only have 1, but 2 blu-ray displays. Also the magnolia store has blu-ray players attached to HDTVs.
There is no hddvd display and the closest thing i found was the A2 and the A20 stacked on top of one another beside some other dvd players lol.

Frys also has some blu bias but they at least have an hddvd display even though the hddvd software is lacking at their store.
donricouga is offline  
post #579 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Urza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,117
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty22001 View Post

If true, that is impressive. People that want this format war to drag on are asking for HD to never replace SD in the home buying market.

Frankly, I'll be pissed if all you can buy is SD DVD movies when I can watch junk on HBO HD at such a better resolution.

At this point, the hddvd supporters are getting close to be traitors when it comes to the home HD market. I'm not sure why they do it.. $? emotional investment? Stubborness?

Wow traitors? Did you just actually say that? These are electronic toys folks, calm down.

You sir owe everyone that has HDDVD an appology. Name calling is never acceptable.

I'd love to get my hands on a Blu Monster's Ball.-LilStinky

Refering to a possible release of said movie on BD LOL
Urza is offline  
post #580 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Monty22001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,057
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urza View Post

Wow traitors? Did you just actually say that? These are electronic toys folks, calm down.

You sir owe everyone that has HDDVD an appology. Name calling is never acceptable.

Well, I have the xbox addon.

At this point though, hanging onto hddvd is really hurting the entire HD cause.
Monty22001 is offline  
post #581 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
beatboy77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 2,970
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by paidgeek View Post

I have heard from a reliable source that Target will go BD hardware exclusive...

WOW! The HD-DVD foundation just keep crumbling. I just see no way for HD-DVD to first stop this Blu-ray momentum and then re-gain any lead they once had. At best HD-DVD will remain a niche product whereas I see Blu-ray really starting to dig its heels in and start to make a run at DVD.

I can not wait for the "big" annoucement from the BDA on Wednesday. I am hoping for Spider-Man or Kill Bill.

~Josh

hidefpreview
beatboy77 is offline  
post #582 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Monty22001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,057
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatboy77 View Post

at DVD.

I can not wait for the "big" annoucement from the BDA on Wednesday. I am hoping for Spider-Man or Kill Bill.

Both would be very good.. And smart at this point.
Monty22001 is offline  
post #583 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 08:26 AM
Member
 
beaker764's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been reading about both formats for quite some time now in order to try to figure out which to buy. I had finally decided that I was going to pick up an add-on for my 360, until I read the BB announcement today. My thoughts were that the pricepoint of the players gave HD an edge, and I was willing to take a chance on the relatively inexpensive addon.

In my opinion this gives BR an edge in the format war. However I'm not willing to spend that much money for a BR player, so I'm back to waiting to see how things play out.

This whole format thing is frustating and annoying, so I'm not going to think about it anymore until I get my home theatre done, which will probably take me several years at the rate I'm going!

Shane
beaker764 is offline  
post #584 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member
 
skogan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Koror, Palau
Posts: 4,415
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty22001 View Post

If Halo 3 or GTA4 needs 2 DVD's, people will appreciate the BD in PS3.

Sure, and if BD was free and didn't delay the console by a year, it would have been a no brainer. But since neither of those things are true, it only made since to add a next-gen drive if you are willing to sacrifice some console sales - which MS wasn't willing to do.
skogan is offline  
post #585 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 08:27 AM
Member
 
Jenova's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 131
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I still rent from Blockbuster, like all the time. So this is good news. Hopefully, this will mean a larger selection for Blu Ray discs.

I still hate renting online because the turn around is still a bit of a pain. I have a monthly pass from Blockbuster, and I like driving there and returning and renting as much as I want easily, without waiting (but it does suck when all the good Blu Ray titles are out)
Jenova is offline  
post #586 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Penton-Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 4,758
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by paidgeek View Post

I have heard from a reliable source that Target will go BD hardware exclusive...

I like Target, they're right next to my local Blockbuster store.
Makes things convenient.
Penton-Man is offline  
post #587 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
skogan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Koror, Palau
Posts: 4,415
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSimplePanda View Post

Google can help you - it's pretty common knowledge.

360 sold 600,000 units in it's first six weeks.
PS3 sold 1M, surpassing the 360 and even the PS2.

But that's only because the 360 was supply constrained, while the PS3 delayed a year and builty up an inventory to sell. MS sold every 360 they could make until around May.
skogan is offline  
post #588 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
donricouga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penton-Man View Post

I like Target, they're right next to my local Blockbuster store.
Makes things convenient.

Maybe the store next to them will also go blu-ray exclusive
donricouga is offline  
post #589 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Monty22001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,057
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by skogan View Post

But that's only because the 360 was supply constrained, while the PS3 delayed a year and builty up an inventory to sell. MS sold every 360 they could make until around May.

Eh what, and you think the PS3 wasn't hard to get too?
Monty22001 is offline  
post #590 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bdizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,055
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty22001 View Post

If Halo 3 or GTA4 needs 2 DVD's, people will appreciate the BD in PS3.

you think so? final fantasy 7 had 3 cd's and metal gear solid had 2 cds.....i dont think it ruined anyones experience with those games.
bdizzle is offline  
post #591 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 08:32 AM
 
plazman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 6,313
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

It is not 60/40 it is 66/34 so rounding Up instead of rounding down:

70/30

Just keeping you honest Plaz

And as far as VHS - from Wiki:

Although VHS is slowly disappearing, this dilemma does bring along with it opportunities, such as media conversion services, dual-deck and DVD/VCR combination systems, and even a lucrative re-sell market on auction and second-hand equipment sites. Consumers still retain the technology as well. The Washington Post has noted that as of 2005, 94.5 million Americans still owned VHS format VCRs.

60:40 is SI. However, I did say that the current ratio is 1.5-2.0:1 in favor of BD.

As for VHS, the context of my point is that it is a format in decline and I am not sure what % of business it did v. DVD, but I's guess a lot less than 30% - yet Blockbuster did not say 'we are going DVD exclusive....' AFAIK.
plazman is offline  
post #592 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
skogan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Koror, Palau
Posts: 4,415
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty22001 View Post

Eh what, and you think the PS3 wasn't hard to get too?

Obviously 1M of them were available for sell, when they weren't available on the 360. IOW, both systems were supply constrained, not demand constrained for at least the first 2 months. The only reason the PS3 sold more was because it had more supply (by virtue of delay launch for a year.)
skogan is offline  
post #593 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Urza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,117
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 24
If BD wins so be it, I have both, as I hedged my bets.

But, I also want BD ONLY folk to answer thesse questions, and be honest!

1. Come clean about Universal, if and when they go neutral, admit your going to buy a ton of movies from them right?. Your just bashing them now, because they support the other guy. Stop the "Universal has nothing I want" BS, its a lie, and I can understand because of the war. Time to come clean

2. Does it not bother you one bit that Sony has its pulse on every aspect of the process? Making the movie? Distribution,etc. etc.? Sony does have that "evil empire" feel to them. Oh and before you say it, dont start with the "But MS is evil to" Does not make it any better.

3. Whats do you think the strategy will be now should HDDVD give up the ghost? No more price drops? In other words, whats next?

Also, beware the spectre of VOD and downloads, ignore it at your peril.

I'd love to get my hands on a Blu Monster's Ball.-LilStinky

Refering to a possible release of said movie on BD LOL
Urza is offline  
post #594 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Monty22001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,057
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdizzle View Post

you think so? final fantasy 7 had 3 cd's and metal gear solid had 2 cds.....i dont think it ruined anyones experience with those games.

Yes, I think people will appreciate the one with 1 disc.
Monty22001 is offline  
post #595 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Jiffylush's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: NC
Posts: 4,027
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by skogan View Post

But that's only because the 360 was supply constrained, while the PS3 delayed a year and builty up an inventory to sell. MS sold every 360 they could make until around May.

Well, he didn't say why the PS3 sold more, just that it did

360 had major supply issues, anyone remember that they couldn't fill a large number of the pre-orders?

There were people that pre-ordered and didn't get their console till March.



To keep it on topic, I thought it was funny that BB carried PS3 games and didn't carry BD movies, due to the fact that every person who rents PS3 games is a potential BD customer.

Now I just hope one of my local stores is part of the 1700 that get blu-ray.
Jiffylush is offline  
post #596 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 08:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 45,876
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshd2012 View Post

What is the difference? You are making a future prediction as fact on the Download vs. Optical war, which doesn't even exist yet, but others can't make future predictions as fact on the Blu-ray vs. HD DVD war which is happening as we speak? It seems to me that a prediction made about that HD war would be much more valid as the data is real versus something that hasn't even begun.

The difference?

The difference is this:
Optical media is mechanical. It require movement to function. This concept is on the way out.

Other methods of HD acquisition and storage, including downloads and non-mechanical storage are the future. End of story.

I'm surprised so many don't get this.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Ken H is offline  
post #597 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 08:34 AM
 
plazman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 6,313
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbdestroya View Post

That's probably the worst analogy you could have used, because they usually rent only one maker of car (and have favorable purchase agreements in place to boot).

I have rented Subarus, Ford (most often) and even Toyotas from Hertz. FWIW.
plazman is offline  
post #598 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Urza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,117
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty22001 View Post

Well, I have the xbox addon.

At this point though, hanging onto hddvd is really hurting the entire HD cause.

Thats not what I am talking about, dont dodge the issue. Calling people traitors is silly, and you know it. Acknowledge the mistake, appologize, lets move on.

I'd love to get my hands on a Blu Monster's Ball.-LilStinky

Refering to a possible release of said movie on BD LOL
Urza is offline  
post #599 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Monty22001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,057
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urza View Post

If BD wins so be it, I have both, as I hedged my bets.

But, I also want BD ONLY folk to answer thesse questions, and be honest!

1. Come clean about Universal, if and when they go neutral, admit your going to buy a ton of movies from them right?. Your just bashing them now, because they support the other guy. Stop the "Universal has nothing I want" BS, its a lie, and I can understand because of the war. Time to come clean

2. Does it not bother you one bit that Sony has its pulse on every aspect of the process? Making the movie? Distribution,etc. etc.? Sony does have that "evil empire" feel to them. Oh and before you say it, dont start with the "But MS is evil to" Does not make it any better.

3. Whats do you think the strategy will be now should HDDVD give up the ghost? No more price drops? In other words, whats next?

Also, beware the spectre of VOD and downloads, ignore it at your peril.

1: Gimme Jurassic Park!

2: BDA is not just Sony. Even if so, I'm not phobic of Sony.

3: More price drops to compete with SD DVD and establish HD as the future medium.
Monty22001 is offline  
post #600 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 08:34 AM
Newbie
 
Xebec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would not be surprised that Sony & the Blu-Ray camp paid Blockbuster some ridiculous amount of money to stock only blu-ray discs and not HD-DVD.
Xebec is offline  
Reply HDTV Software Media Discussion

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off