post #601 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urza View Post

Thats not what I am talking about, dont dodge the issue. Calling people traitors is silly, and you know it. Acknowledge the mistake, appologize, lets move on.

It was not a mistake. Anyone that's for jeopardizing this format war to be lost to HD is a 'traitor to HD'.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 09:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty22001 View Post

If true, that is impressive. People that want this format war to drag on are asking for HD to never replace SD in the home buying market.

Frankly, I'll be pissed if all you can buy is SD DVD movies when I can watch junk on HBO HD at such a better resolution.

At this point, the hddvd supporters are getting close to be traitors when it comes to the home HD market. I'm not sure why they do it.. $? emotional investment? Stubborness?

You owe HD supporters an apology. We just get an announcement about one retailer (admittedly a large one) and if HD fans don't "throw in the towel" we are traitors?

What nerve!!
post #603 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xebec View Post

I would not be surprised that Sony & the Blu-Ray camp paid Blockbuster some ridiculous amount of money to stock only blu-ray discs and not HD-DVD.

Apparently they aren't getting what they paid for. RTFA?

Blockbuster will continue to stock HD DVD in 250 stores, and they will continue to offer them through Blockbuster Total Access.
post #604 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

You owe HD supporters an apology. We just get an announcement about one retailer (admittedly a large one) and if HD fans don't "throw in the towel" we are traitors?

What nerve!!

What can I say? Just go with BD. It's not that hard, and you don't support a format war that will only end with both losing or hddvd losing.
post #605 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 26
What we need now are classy BD folk. Can we be adults?

Getting a little tired of the NEENER NEENER, let the cascade begin, the end is near, blah blah blah. If you want HDDVD only folk to convert, thats not the way to do it. Snide comments from the Krinkles, Beatboys, and others are not gonna help.

I'd love to get my hands on a Blu Monster's Ball.-LilStinky

Refering to a possible release of said movie on BD LOL
post #606 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 09:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSimplePanda View Post

I still debate this. The 360 has a year head start on the PS3 and is outselling it 10M to 3.5M world wide right now.

So, the 360 has 19 months sale time, the PS3 has 7.

All things being equal, the 360 should be outselling the PS3 2.71x right now. It's currently closer to 2.85 AND the 360 has a ton of AAA titles (Gears, Forza 2, Halo Beta, etc).

I know MS has sold more units but if I had to bet on one of them I'd bet on the PS3... it's in better relative shape.

Saying all of that you'd bet on the PS3?

Seems that you meant that it is the Xbox 360 that should be bet on.

Xbox 360 sales are very, very healthy and as you indicated there are some absolute top notch titles for it.... AND there's a rumored $100 price cut coming for the 360 very soon.

By comparison the PS3 is seeing a downward sales spiral...
post #607 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Yes, I think people will appreciate the one with 1 disc.

its more convenient ya, but i think people are making the multi disk issue bigger than it is for video games
post #608 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSimplePanda View Post

I still debate this. The 360 has a year head start on the PS3 and is outselling it 10M to 3.5M world wide right now.

So, the 360 has 19 months sale time, the PS3 has 7.

All things being equal, the 360 should be outselling the PS3 2.71x right now. It's currently closer to 2.85 AND the 360 has a ton of AAA titles (Gears, Forza 2, Halo Beta, etc).

I know MS has sold more units but if I had to bet on one of them I'd bet on the PS3... it's in better relative shape.

It's hard to say that the PS3 is in better relative shape when it sold worse last month than any other month of it's, or the 360's life.

But once again, you can't average them out like that because the PS3 had a million units available for launch because they launched late. That artificially effects their average sales per month relative to the 360.
post #609 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdizzle View Post

its more convenient ya, but i think people are making the multi disk issue bigger than it is for video games

All I said is that it would make people appreciate BD with the higher capacity. Duh......... Nothing else on that subject at all was said by me.
post #610 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 09:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

What can I say? Just go with BD. It's not that hard, and you don't support a format war that will only end with both losing or hddvd losing.

Kind of like BD fans should have just "gone with HD" when the original craptacular BD releases came out and the Samsung player turned out to be a P.O.S.?

Why don't you look in the mirror when you say those things and you'll gain some understanding about how insulting they are to people who have invested hundreds or thousands in a format.
post #611 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It was not a mistake. Anyone that's for jeopardizing this format war to be lost to HD is a 'traitor to HD'.

Wow, your actually trying to justify your comments.

I want everyone to witness this rubbish, and remember it good.

If you pick HDDVD, your now a TRAITOR to HD.

I bought a Toyota, I guess I hate America!

post #612 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Guys... the console discussion... why? Can any single thread please avoid this fate?
post #613 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 09:41 AM

Quote:

Getting a little tired of the NEENER NEENER, let the cascade begin, the end is near, blah blah blah. If you want HDDVD only folk to convert, thats not the way to do it. Snide comments from the Krinkles, Beatboys, and others are not gonna help.

Ain't that the truth!
post #614 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

I'm not a soldier in this "war", but I can't help but wonder why people would hold onto one format when it's clearly a sinking ship right now. There are significant financial losses involved for people who bought a bunch of HD-DVDs if the format dies. Why wouldn't they want to stop buying them if they see the format going away in the future?

I Just don't get this whole format war thing. Why do people choose sides and stick by them so hard? Isn't it your money that loses out in the end? Who cares which format wins, it's all about everyone having high def movies in the end, and both formats seem capable of providing that. It just seems like Bluray will be the chosen final format in the end.

post #615 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

Kind of like BD fans should have just "gone with HD" when the original craptacular BD releases came out and the Samsung player turned out to be a P.O.S.?

Why don't you look in the mirror when you say those things and you'll gain some understanding about how insulting they are to people who have invested hundreds or thousands in a format.

Yes, if we had all gone to hddvd, that would've ended it. And the studios, and the massive CE support BD had.

I can't possibly disagree with that. After things sided with hddvd in that world, I'd have called the BD supporters as supporting stagnating HD in general.
post #616 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by plazman View Post

60:40 is SI. However, I did say that the current ratio is 1.5-2.0:1 in favor of BD.

As for VHS, the context of my point is that it is a format in decline and I am not sure what % of business it did v. DVD, but I's guess a lot less than 30% - yet Blockbuster did not say 'we are going DVD exclusive....' AFAIK.

Blockbuster didn't have to say they were going SD=DVD exclusive since there really wasn't a battle against VHS. It was common knowledge to everyone that SD-DVD would replace VHS since it was a much cheaper solution compared to LaserDisc for similar quality...
post #617 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skogan View Post

It's hard to say that the PS3 is in better relative shape when it sold worse last month than any other month of it's, or the 360's life.

But once again, you can't average them out like that because the PS3 had a million units available for launch because they launched late. That artificially effects their average sales per month relative to the 360.

Having units available for customers to purchase doesn't artificially effect sales.

It DIRECTLY effects actual sales.
post #618 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So just what are you asking us to do? Go throw our HD DVD players in the trash? Stop buying movies for it? How we may we prove to the Mcarthy Committe that we aren't traitors?
post #619 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

All I said is that it would make people appreciate BD with the higher capacity. Duh......... Nothing else on that subject at all was said by me.

and i responded and said for most people who play video games its not a big deal....see the way that works?

besides, most ps3 owners would appreciate BD more there were some games actually on it.
post #620 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiffylush View Post

Having units available for customers to purchase doesn't artificially effect sales.

It DIRECTLY effects actual sales.

No, but it does artificially effect sales averages, which was the point being made if you follow the sub-thread.
post #621 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So just what are you asking us to do? Go throw our HD DVD players in the trash? Stop buying movies for it? How we may we prove to the Mcarthy Committe that we aren't traitors?

Do whatever you want. I'd start by buying a BD player and supporting the HD format that's got the future and reducing hddvd support.

I just rented Alpha Dog on hddvd.. So I guess I'm a 'traitor' too in a sense. However, I rent/buy 10 to 1 BD. Nothing that drastic, I think we just need to unite behind BD against SD.
post #622 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penton-Man View Post

Oh, one thing that you will not find in the piece is that when Rich Peterson visited SPE in CALIFORNIA........... is that his wife accompanied him, who in fact was a delight to meet.
I won't "drop" her name.

Who are you???? You are obviously well connected.
post #623 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 09:45 AM

Does Target really even carry HD or Blu hardware aside from the 360 add-on and the PS3? None of the Targets I frequent have ever sold standalone BD or HD players, including the largest one in the KC area. If they were to choose to end their software neutrality, then THAT would be something.
post #624 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbdestroya View Post

Guys... the console discussion... why? Can any single thread please avoid this fate?

You're right. I'll stop with the console talk.
post #625 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No, but it does artificially effect sales averages, which was the point being made if you follow the sub-thread.

That isn't artificial, you could say that it artificially effects perceived demand (like saying higher sales means higher demand). But selling units is selling units, nothing artificial about it.
post #626 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paidgeek View Post

I have heard from a reliable source that Target will go BD hardware exclusive...

Target currently sells the Tosh A2, A20 and the HD DVD drive. My source says that Target has no intention of going BD hardware exclusive. I guess we'll have to see whose 'reliable' source ends up being more reliable.
post #627 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

The difference?

The difference is this:
Optical media is mechanical. It require movement to function. This concept is on the way out.

Other methods of HD acquisition and storage, including downloads and non-mechanical storage are the future. End of story.

I'm surprised so many don't get this.

We optical disc supporters are a simple folk...
post #628 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penton-Man View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMgpckykmJU

As I figured, you are indeed classless.

Stop fanning the flames please.

post #629 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

If BD wins so be it, I have both, as I hedged my bets.

But, I also want BD ONLY folk to answer thesse questions, and be honest!

1. Come clean about Universal, if and when they go neutral, admit your going to buy a ton of movies from them right?. Your just bashing them now, because they support the other guy. Stop the "Universal has nothing I want" BS, its a lie, and I can understand because of the war. Time to come clean

I'll definitely rent comedy's like "Knocked Up" and I'll buy movies like The Mummy, Gladiator (if its EVER released) and Children of Men. But in all honesty, their are less than 10 movies from Universal that I would want to own.

Quote:

2. Does it not bother you one bit that Sony has its pulse on every aspect of the process? Making the movie? Distribution,etc. etc.? Sony does have that "evil empire" feel to them. Oh and before you say it, dont start with the "But MS is evil to" Does not make it any better.

It really doesn't bother me, because Blu-Ray is only one passing media distribution technology. I believe greatly in market forces, so whatever the market decides is best.

Quote:

3. Whats do you think the strategy will be now should HDDVD give up the ghost? No more price drops? In other words, whats next?

The elephant in the room, which few at AVS care to admit exists, is SD-DVD. It has been documented that most people have a difficult time seeing the difference between high-def DVD's vs SD-DVD's on any tv 37" or smaller. People without perfect vision have a tough time at 42" or smaller. The war isn't over, SD-DVD is a far more powerful opponent than HD-DVD.

Quote:

Also, beware the spectre of VOD and downloads, ignore it at your peril.

Downloads won't be a serious threat for at least eight more years, and even then I wouldn't bet on the computer being the centerpiece of more than 5% of US home entertainment centers.

Why is there NO perfect equipment, only compromises?
post #630 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 09:50 AM

hd-dvd is done...most of the people I know who had the hd-dvd add-on with hd-dvd movies had traded them in for blu. The mainstream consumer doesn't care how many "old" movies get released on hd-dvd. They want 'new" releases on blu-ray.
Reply HDTV Software Media Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page