Blockbuster Blu-ray announcement: Master Thread - Page 26 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #751 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Robert Holloway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: California
Posts: 1,340
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyMSU View Post

I have to question if Blockbuster was biased in the first place.

HD-DVD is better for the consumer, there are no license fees associated with it unlike Sony's proprietary Bluray. If HD-DVD goes away, and BD wins outright, expect prices to soar.

.


I doubt it, because Sony needs this to become mainstream. At $30 per disc it will never be mainstream. The reason that normal people buy discs is that they see a title they like for under $20

Sony has zero interest in a high end monopoly the size of laserdisc.

Rob
Robert Holloway is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #752 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
WriteSimple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: KL, Malaysia.
Posts: 3,206
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomes View Post

I guess I'll sit on the fence a while longer now....

If you can't afford it or just can't convince the other half, then wait. If you got kids, the PS3 however is a great value now until cheaper players come later.

As far as downloading is the future, it could be. Right now though, downloading is HD Lite with lossy sound, storage is too expensive (unless the video is streaming and THAT internet is even more expensive) and broadband is really not available everywhere.

HD optical media is just easier. All you need is a player/drive, the movies, your home theater and you're set. No need for broadband.


fuad

"DonÂt let them tell you who you are is not enough, that itÂs wrong and that you wonÂt find love. DonÂt let them use my life to put your future down, or tell you that happiness canÂt be found."
WriteSimple is offline  
post #753 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member
 
K.L.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 945
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefboy1 View Post

- better hardcoating = less scratches = less expenses paid to resurface or repurchase discs

This is often overlooked but very important for rentals. Other rental places will follow soon now that they don't have to compete with Blockbuster for HD DVD.
K.L. is offline  
post #754 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Robert Holloway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: California
Posts: 1,340
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone seriously believe that a long term format war is a good thing?
Does anyone here seriously think that any normal person can see or hear the difference?

Nope

So let's rejoice.

I backed HD DVD - I'm just glad this is the beginning of the end of the stupidity phase of HD

Rob
Robert Holloway is offline  
post #755 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member
 
fitprod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bay Point, CA
Posts: 636
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


Originally Posted by NavyMSU
HD-DVD is better for the consumer, there are no license fees associated with it unlike Sony's proprietary Bluray. If HD-DVD goes away, and BD wins outright, expect prices to soar.

So Toshiba makes HD DVD with no financial motivation... Unlike evil Sony, Toshiba's HD DVD is license free! Right... And, Warner doesn't get paid for every DVD sold with the DVD Logo on it.

Sometimes I wonder where you guys come up with these delusions.

fitprod
fitprod is offline  
post #756 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 10:41 AM
Senior Member
 
guima's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 263
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjam View Post

I very much agree with this. The competition between the two formats has not only driven the development of each, but also the features, price performance and value.

In addition, it has encouraged more releases from most studios (save Fox, but for different, non-competitive reasons).

I disagree. I can speak for myself and a couple of friends: while I rent blu-ray off netflix, I would not consider buying a single movie (regardless of price) until this format war is over.

If there was no format war, but the movies were in the $20 (still expensive), I would buy fewer movies (only my favorites), but I would still buy them.
guima is offline  
post #757 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 10:41 AM
Member
 
NavyMSU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty22001 View Post

They are $100 difference at the moment MSRP. Street prices will reflect that.

Are you saying that you have an HDTV that can play HD movies and can't afford a $100 premium (right now) for the player?

Heck, give it a few months, BD has been *very* close in hardware price consistently, within $100 all the way. Sure BD will be a little more, but in a few years the hardware will be equal anyway.

If you really can't afford BD now, I'm sorry. But, hddvd wasn't gonna be that much cheaper either. And really read what people are saying. Once BD takes over, it'll be a battle with SD DVD and things will get much cheaper than hddvd can offer now.


BD has never been that close in prices. Only the recent 499 player has even come close. BD has been on average $200 or more, not $100.

You might be comparing similar products, but Toshiba was smart to provide players that don't offer 1080p because a large number of consumers purchased HDTVs in years leading up to 2007, when 1080i and 720p were predominant.

I have a 720p television, I sit approx 8 feet from it, science has shown that for a 42" tv, at 8 feet, you can't tell the difference between 1080 and 720, and there is mathematical proof.

I'm happy with my 720p television. If BD were to release a 300 player that forgoes Dolby TrueHD and 1080p, i would buy it.

You argue about having a HD tv and not wanted to spend a premium.. why be stupid and throw away money. HD-DVD has the same resolution and audio support. I put my money behind a technology that gives me what i need, not what they think i must have. Give me the less expensive, non-proprietary format any day.

The Studio support will waver if Toshiba keeps up this pricing war. Large Name Brand firm have a higher marginal cost than HD firms, and they can't win in a price war. If HD picks up market share (by selling to people who can't waste $600 on a player), then it'll build a wider, more diverse user base than the average, white/male 16-30 year old, PS3 owners. Look at the stand alone market (adults 30+ buy stand alone players primarily) - ignore the PS3, and you'll see some scary statistics, not scary to me, I'm an HD-DVD supporter.
NavyMSU is offline  
post #758 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Monty22001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,057
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitprod View Post

So Toshiba makes HD DVD with no financial motivation... Unlike evil Sony, Toshiba's HD DVD is license free! Right... And, Warner doesn't get paid for every DVD sold with the DVD Logo on it.

Sometimes I wonder where you guys come up with these delusions.

fitprod

You can find this on digg as well. There's a real weird thing with online people saying things are pure good and then there are corporate. Underdog==top and pure

That's the effect we are seeing here as well.
Monty22001 is offline  
post #759 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Monty22001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,057
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyMSU View Post

BD has never been that close in prices. Only the recent 499 player has even come close.

Err, ok so now it's close.
Monty22001 is offline  
post #760 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 10:43 AM
Senior Member
 
MASrules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 395
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Holloway View Post

I purchased an HD DVD player

I want to say THANK YOU to Blockbuster

They have started what will quickly become a landslide and kill one of the HD formats - my format.

But I'm actually happy.

This format war has been good for nobody. Certainly not us, not the retailers, the studios or even the two competing companies.

The sooner it's over and one prevails the better chance we will have of seeing a thriving disc based HD system rather than tow that are irrelevent.

So thank you Blockbuster. I chose the wrong format but never purchased any discs. Hopefully, Netflix, Best Buy, Wal Mart and Universal will all join quickly to put us all out of our misery.

Rob

Very sensible post, I wished more felt the way you did, and were willing to act the same way.

We need one format now. I chose right, but only because I waited until after the PS3 was released to choose a format. If I had picked the wrong format, I would be disappointed, but mostly happy that the damn format war is over.

This signals the end of the war, and I hope the endgame is soon and we can all put our passion into furthering the winning HD format, Blu-ray, instead of fighting with each other.
MASrules is offline  
post #761 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member
 
stevenmh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty22001 View Post

It was not a mistake. Anyone that's for jeopardizing this format war to be lost to HD is a 'traitor to HD'.

The religious ferver around here is getting old. HD DVD supporters are traitors, what are folks who don't support either format? Heretics?

Some people around here need to get outside a little bit more. Watch the news. If you want to be passionate about something, there are kids on this planet right now that are starving to death. There's no way the term "traitor" should ever show up in a discussion regarding movies. Nobody here owes either camp, nor the studios, anything. Therefore, it is impossible for anybody in this discussion to be a traitor. If somebody wants to go back to watching movies on VHS, or stop watching movies altogether, that is their right. Anyone who thinks otherwise has crossed over into the realm of zealotry.

Everybody take a time out and write down the following on a piece of paper:

Family
Friends
Community
Blockbuster
Work
Health

Now number them in the order in which they are a priority to you. If Blockbuster isn't dead last, you should take a break from the forums for awhile.
stevenmh is offline  
post #762 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Supermans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,086
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Holloway View Post

Does anyone seriously beleiev that a long term format war is a good thing
Does anyone here seriously think that any normal person can see or hear the difference

Nope

So let's rejoice.

I backed HD DVD - I'm just glad this is the beginning of the end of the stupidity phase of HD

Rob

Agreed
Supermans is offline  
post #763 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 10:45 AM
Member
 
RyaninLA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Personally, I haven't heard a peep out of the average consumer, my family, friends about either HD format. In all honesty they won't buy them until they are $100 dollars any way and then will still have to wait for 1080p TV's to come down to around $1000. It's funny that we argue afordability of HD formats when in reality the TV's are an even bigger factor. If you can't watch a HD disc in full HD then you probably are not going to buy one in the first place. When all 1080p tv's are down to an affordable range you can bet that if their are still two formats or even one they will be affordable as well. The silliness over formats is all for not as you can't even enjoy them without droping around $2000 for a decent TV and with the average American income in the mid 30 to low 40 range, with a mortgage and car payment, $2000 for a fancy TV is a lot. I know, I grew up in this range and saw it happen with my family and friends over and over again. It is all about TV prices folks, the formats will be sold when the TV's are affordable.
RyaninLA is offline  
post #764 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member
 
K.L.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 945
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyMSU View Post

BD has never been that close in prices. Only the recent 499 player has even come close. BD has been on average $200 or more, not $100.

You might be comparing similar products, but Toshiba was smart to provide players that don't offer 1080p because a large number of consumers purchased HDTVs in years leading up to 2007, when 1080i and 720p were predominant.

I have a 720p television, I sit approx 8 feet from it, science has shown that for a 42" tv, at 8 feet, you can't tell the difference between 1080 and 720, and there is mathematical proof.

I'm happy with my 720p television. If BD were to release a 300 player that forgoes Dolby TrueHD and 1080p, i would buy it.

You argue about having a HD tv and not wanted to spend a premium.. why be stupid and throw away money. HD-DVD has the same resolution and audio support. I put my money behind a technology that gives me what i need, not what they think i must have. Give me the less expensive, non-proprietary format any day.

The Studio support will waver if Toshiba keeps up this pricing war. Large Name Brand firm have a higher marginal cost than HD firms, and they can't win in a price war. If HD picks up market share (by selling to people who can't waste $600 on a player), then it'll build a wider, more diverse user base than the average, white/male 16-30 year old, PS3 owners. Look at the stand alone market (adults 30+ buy stand alone players primarily) - ignore the PS3, and you'll see some scary statistics, not scary to me, I'm an HD-DVD supporter.

And all that doesn't matter for Blockbuster because BD rentals were the majority and the drawback of carrying HD DVD far surpasses the drawback of not carrying it.
K.L. is offline  
post #765 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Monty22001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,057
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
steve, I totally agree. I was saying 'traitor' to the HD cause. I am more concerned about offshoring, jihadism, and illegal aliens.

You should have realized that when I said a 'traitor to HD' that's all I meant. Weird how you expanded that to every subject.
Monty22001 is offline  
post #766 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 10:47 AM
Senior Member
 
Numanoid101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 487
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancescoP View Post

Ok, thanks! We have it:

Netflix Total Revenue for the year 2006: $996.7 million
(source: http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6409885.html)

Blockbuster Total Revenue for the year 2006: $5.52 billion
(source: http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6419949.html)

Total Rental Market Revenue for the year 2006: $7.5 billions
(according to http://www.dvdinformation.com/News/press/CES010807.htm)

So we get:

13.4% for Netflix
73.6% for Blockbuster

So Blockbuster got 73.6% of the US Rental Marketshare? Is it true?

This is bad news for HD DVD.

I'm surprised nobody even bothered to look at the outrageous claim that "BB owns 76% of the market share" comments that have been posted several times in this thread.

I can assure you this is far from the case.

Lets look at real facts and not "AVS forum Facts":

Fact # 1: The 7.5 Billion was for US consumer spending: DVD rental transactions.
Fact # 2: The 5.5B revenues is accounting for worldwide sales. BBI has thousands of stores outside the US. 34.5% of revenue was generated in non-US stores.
Fact # 3: The actual world wide rental revenue for BBI (not counting late fees, merchandise, and PRP sales) was 3.34B.
Fact # 4: Therefore the actual rental revenue for the US was roughly $2.2B.
Fact # 5: This number includes video game rentals. We don't know if this is included in the "DVD rental transactions" from the article.

The same scrutiny will need to be applied to Netflix and Movie Gallery if you want an apples to apples comparison.

Clearly the 76% number is a bunch of BS, but has already been adopted as fact by a few people with blue glasses on.

Kinda sad really.
Numanoid101 is offline  
post #767 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 10:48 AM
Member
 
wei2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: CJ, MO
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It is obvious that everybody is so excited about any news about either HD-DVD or BD.

What is the percentage of people who physically visit a Blockbuster actually own a PS3? What are the profiles of Blockbuster customers? Any geographic distribution correlations between current PS3 owners and the new Blockbuster stores? I suspect that anywhere there is high concentration of PS3 owners, there will be a high concentration of HD-DVD stand along owners. Being BD exclusive will cost Blockbuster money, but they must have decided the risk is somehow tolerable. Anyway, I believe this decision is suspicious and very much aimed at short term concession from BD camp because they do not drop HD-DVD completely.

I haven't rent a movie from Blockbuster for years, but would be interested doing so if they carry HD-DVD locally. Given their current choice of sides, I will just have to give my money to Netflix.
wei2008 is offline  
post #768 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 10:48 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
rdjam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 9,736
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyMSU View Post

I have to question if Blockbuster was biased in the first place.

I regularly visit my downtown Houston store, and the HD-DVD's are always empty. I question if it's the fact that there is only like 2 copies of each movie, or if it's more popular. I see more copies of BD movies sitting on the shelves than I do HD.

Have to agree with you there. They usually had the latest BD releases in right away, but not usually the case for HD. This, in and of itself, would have swung the BD rental sales numbers in BDs favour.

Quote:


Blockbuster also doesn't release as many HD-DVD titles as it does BD. New movies come out and they carry the new BD titles, but all new HD titles remain unseen.

Correct - same point.

Quote:


I feel they were biased before the test stores even started carrying either format.

Quite possibly, tho there's little doubt now.

Quote:


I also agree that they may be shooting themselves in the foot. Toshiba units were selling like crazy during this recent $100 off promotion. The demand for HD has just increased alot, but Blockbuster is closing that door intentionally. Also they're putting there only advantage over Netflix (in store return/re-rent) in jeopardy.

I suggest if you own a HD-DVD player, start demanding titles being carried in stores that don't offer BD yet, and for those stores that do carry high def formats, demand MORE HD-DVD titles.

Stand alone player owners are the silent majority (When i say stand alone, i mean HD-DVD, because the PS3 is a toy, and BD stand alone sales are dismal). We enjoy our format, but we're not fanboy about it. Sony has fanboys on their side, loud obnoxious individuals who get their opinions heard. Most rentals are going to PS3 owners anyways, and we all know the video game console war is inundated with fanboys. HD-DVD supporters need to speak up and demand content if we want to protect our investments.

If BD was less expensive, I would have no problem owning a BD player, but I disagree with Sony's attitude towards consumer electronics consumers. Sony considers themselves the 'Mercedes' of consumer electronics, and if people can't afford their overpriced products, so be it. The market price is set by Sony for BD players, so any other respectable firm (Samsung) is going to follow the same pricing guidelines. I look forward to the cheapo chinese players.

Yes, this thing is far from over, tho a lot of folks will attempt to say this single thing makes it so.

Quote:


HD-DVD owners need to support their investments, they need to speak up, they need to show their friends that BD isn't better, only more expensive, they need to demand more content from their media providers (stores that rent/sell). I'm sick of walking into Best Buy and not having a full selection of movies. I want to be able to go pick up a movie if i like it, i don't want to wait a week for Amazon.com to deliver it.

If HD-DVD goes away, and BD wins outright, expect prices to soar.

Agreed
rdjam is offline  
post #769 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 10:50 AM
Senior Member
 
drivendriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 351
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitprod View Post

So Toshiba makes HD DVD with no financial motivation... Unlike evil Sony, Toshiba's HD DVD is license free! Right... And, Warner doesn't get paid for every DVD sold with the DVD Logo on it.

Sometimes I wonder where you guys come up with these delusions.

fitprod

At this point, I think the only explanation is that the HD-DVD camp is inserting subliminal messages in its movies.

Honestly, visiting the HD-DVD board (yes, I know, I shouldn't) sometimes feels like stepping into the 4th dimension.
drivendriver is offline  
post #770 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 10:50 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
rdjam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 9,736
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty22001 View Post

Save universal above all.

Universal has probably laid down more HD releases than most other studios - so comparing it to Fox is rather funny.
rdjam is offline  
post #771 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Amiable-Akuma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Originally Posted by dapole
"Wouldn't this http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=25310 have a slight impact on Blu-rays supposed win if Target, the company suing won?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew67 View Post

That lawsuit will impact BD, HD-DVD, and DVD. I don't see why it would hurt BD any more or less than HD.

Target claims that company founder Han Nee developed the reflective silver alloy material which is used as a component of most DVDs produced today.

Yeah, and besides lawsuits like that get filed against Sony and other major companies all the time. Suggesting a lawsuit like this will amount to anything serious is tantamount to spreading blatant fear, uncertainty, and doubt for no reason. Most of these lawsuits get thrown out, dismissed, settled on quickly, reversed, have no bearing in evidence, etc ,etc.

People need to forget about things like lawsuits to provide some kind of Trojan Horse of negativity for a product. That kind of ill will, IMO, shouldn't be supported anyway. I mean, what? - we are hoping that a wonderful company that (at the end of the day) has given us years of great entertainment should be completely destroyed because some evil judge sees fit to find merit in a frivolous lawsuit?

Please, don't tell me that's the level that the war has reduced us to...
Amiable-Akuma is offline  
post #772 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Supermans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,086
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by MASrules View Post

Very sensible post, I wished more felt the way you did, and were willing to act the same way.

We need one format now. I chose right, but only because I waited until after the PS3 was released to choose a format. If I had picked the wrong format, I would be disappointed, but mostly happy that the damn format war is over.

This signals the end of the war, and I hope the endgame is soon and we can all put our passion into furthering the winning HD format, Blu-ray, instead of fighting with each other.

Let's hope more people start to think this way..
Supermans is offline  
post #773 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Monty22001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,057
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjam View Post

Universal has probably laid down more HD releases than most other studios - so comparing it to Fox is rather funny.

Get em on BD.
Monty22001 is offline  
post #774 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Jiffylush's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: NC
Posts: 4,027
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjam View Post

Universal has probably laid down more HD releases than most other studios - so comparing it to Fox is rather funny.

I thought he was referring to the large number of Universal releases due to the war, I may have misread.
Jiffylush is offline  
post #775 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Schlotkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,871
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
When will we know which stores are going to carry the blu-ray discs? I am hoping a CT store near me does!
Schlotkins is offline  
post #776 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Supermans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,086
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSimplePanda View Post

My copy of King Kong on HD-DVD doesn't have TrueHD for a very good reason... lack of space.

This "30 gigs" is enough argument just doesn't wash.


I've been saying this ever since BD50 became a reality and we got a quality sounding release like Black Hawk Down which was the most impressive surround sound I have ever heard, matching the way I felt when I first heard uncompressed audio from Top Gun on Laserdisc way back when...
Supermans is offline  
post #777 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Monty22001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,057
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post

I've been saying this ever since BD50 became a reality and we got a quality sounding release like Black Hawk Down which was the most impressive surround sound I have ever heard, matching the way I felt when I first heard uncompressed audio from Top Gun on Laserdisc way back when...

Something is behind Certain (hddvd) people dismissing the capacity and bandwidth advantage of BD.
Monty22001 is offline  
post #778 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member
 
BZiggyZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 794
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by iontyre View Post

What a load!!! Can't you BD folks get the picture? You are one side of an EXTREMELY SMALL current user base that amounts to a nearly insignificant portion of the video media landscape at this time. The rest of us stuck on the sidelines never got a chance to have our voices heard. We just got the expensive option force fed to us by Sony. And you expect us to rejoice? Yahoo, the war is over, everyone lost...

Extreme, but I share the basic sentiment. For consumers with modest means, a Blu-Ray win this early is a set-back. Sony is already sticking its financial neck out to price the S300 at $500. I guess we all get to sit on our hands and wait a while for the magical ~$200 figure. I'm not an HD-DVD zealot by any means, but from a value standpoint, HD-DVD is more compelling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

I feel sorry for those who in trying to save some money (and could only afford either a BD player OR a HD DVD player) chose HD DVD. That investment will soon go into the toilet as the few new releases they were getting will dry up. Then, they will have to buy Blu Ray in the near future to conitnue enjoying new HD content.

Oh, what heartfelt sentiment. May I remind you that some of us secured an A2 for $9 more than an Oppo 981 primarily because of it's excellent, non-Faroudja chip upscaling. Also, little known fact- HD-DVD discs and hardware don't actually self-destruct if the format eventually does fail. I've been waiting for my SACD/DVD-A collection to magically vanish, too. So far, nothing.
BZiggyZ is offline  
post #779 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
deez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Sacramento, Ca.
Posts: 2,271
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Wow...You fan boys are highlarious every day each format puts another nail into each formats coffin. What I don't understand is why anyone would want a single format to dominate the marketplace?? Then we will be forced to accept low quality transfers and high prices. Right now, while there is no winner in actuality the consumer is the winner because prices continue to drop on hardware and software for both formats. I hope this war goes on forever!!!

XBOX Gamertag:deezusmusic
deez is offline  
post #780 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
WriteSimple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: KL, Malaysia.
Posts: 3,206
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyMSU View Post

If BD was less expensive, I would have no problem owning a BD player, but I disagree with Sony's attitude towards consumer electronics consumers. Sony considers themselves the 'Mercedes' of consumer electronics, and if people can't afford their overpriced products, so be it. The market price is set by Sony for BD players, so any other respectable firm (Samsung) is going to follow the same pricing guidelines.

Question: Could you have afforded either a Samsung or a Panasonic BD player at launch or now? Because I seem to remember that those two companies released their players first before Sony.

Quote:


I look forward to the cheapo chinese players.

They're coming. There's even one OEM from Japan.

Quote:


BD is only better as a media storage format. As a computer disk drive. As far as video quality and audio quality, it has nothing over HD-DVD.

Looks like you haven't read the BD reviews lately. And really, BD is better as recordable medium and a HD optical disc format.

Quote:


HD-DVD is better for the consumer, there are no license fees associated with it unlike Sony's proprietary Bluray.

Care to elaborate on the license fees associated with BD? Give us three to start with.


fuad

"DonÂt let them tell you who you are is not enough, that itÂs wrong and that you wonÂt find love. DonÂt let them use my life to put your future down, or tell you that happiness canÂt be found."
WriteSimple is offline  
Reply HDTV Software Media Discussion

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off