post #901 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 12:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traelin View Post

Look, I love HD DVD as much as most HD fanboys, but I really think this is bunk. Even if it *is* true, is Sony really doing anything that other dedicated companies wouldn't do for their products? Do you think Coke doesn't have a lucrative deal with McDonald's?

I think it's only a problem for the FTC where the terms of a deal are made more lucrative to a dominant market player, to the disadvantage of their competitors, where the agreed result would compromise consumer choice.

That's the layman's terms outline. And in this instance, it may be relevant...

If BB coincidentally gets Sony Pictures exclusive releases, at the expense of their competitors, there are potentially going to be a few questions...

Ahh... F1 in full HD 3D with
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 12:41 PM

Liked: 10
For anyone interested www.msnbc.com has a poll up asking"Which format, HD DVD or Blu-ray, will win? ", connected to the Blockbuster news and the numbers are pretty even, though only 7000 votes have come in, probably from AVS members.
post #903 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWetmore View Post

IMO, Blu-ray is the better medium and has enough momentum to end the war. HD-DVD does not.

I realized earlier this year that HD-DVD probably wasn't a good investment because its very survival was dependent almost entirely on one variable: Universal studios. It like in business - the biggest risk a company faces is having one customer that is so large, that if they decide to leave, the company would go under. That is how I view HD-DVD. If Universal goes neutral, HD-DVD is dead, instantly. Bad business model, and not a wise one to invest in, IMO.

Hindsight is 20/20, but it's still fun to play.

I still don't understand why Microsoft didn't leverage its position better. Why didn't they strongarm Dell, a longtime MSFT ally, into backing HD DVD? Why didn't they ensure 100% support for HD DVD through Vista but not Blu-ray? It wouldn't have been considered monopolistic if they were supporting the official media of the HD Forum.

Why didn't Tosh and Uni/Warner more thoroughly test those horrid, horrid combos? Why wasn't more work put into getting another CE manufacturer to build HD players from the get-go?

So many questions...and if the appropriate actions were taken, IMHO you'd have a much different game being played.

HD DVD: 67
Blu-ray: 140
post #904 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjam View Post

I think it's only a problem for the FTC where the terms of a deal are made more lucrative to a dominant market player, to the disadvantage of their competitors, where the agreed result would compromise consumer choice.

If BB coincidentally gets Sony Pictures exclusive releases, at the expense of their competitors, there are potentially going to be a few questions...

The hell..

So this is your next attack point, how Sony is.. what? Is there ANY evidence whatsoever that this isn't because BB saw 70% of their market for BD, and the rest is dead shelf space for HD?

Now, we have... lemme sit back and think about this.. Someone saying that that the FTC and other assorted government people will look into why Blockbuster picked Blu-ray and.. Win this for hddvd with a government led anti-trust assault against Blu-ray?

I mean, is that what is suggested here?
post #905 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 12:44 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

Like it or not this is pretty bad for HD DVD. While I anticipated an eventual move by retailers to "end" the format war by deciding for the consumer what they would stock, I never expected it to happen this quickly.

Rather sad if this thing gets decided by a gaming console.

Is that sad compared to the philosophy of HD-DVD driving the price down on players so much, so fast that none of our favorite CE companys can or want to compete?
I for one did buy a PS3 for Blu-Ray playback but I also just recently went format neutral with a A2 in my view Blu-Ray is better. I mean what's up with these DD+ audio on so many currently releasing HD-DVDs? If alot of these same films would be released on Blu-Ray you know they would have been U-PCM or Dolby HD. Also it seems many of Uni's cat. titles coming out recently have looked and sounded like crap just because they want the number of titles to shot up quickly(Liar, Liar, Bruce Almighty, sneakers, and Daylight).
This sounds a bit harsh but of course I mean no malice!!
post #906 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Keep throwing it up, maybe eventually you will get something to stick.

I keep thinking I will no longer be amazed at the lengths some will go to, and yet I keep being amazed.
post #907 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiffylush View Post

Keep throwing it up, maybe eventually you will get something to stick.

I keep thinking I will no longer be amazed at the lengths some will go to, and yet I keep being amazed.

This anti-trust stuff just might be the most amazing suggestion, if that's what is being pushed here (I really can't believe he said this) that I've seen in a long, long while.
post #908 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 12:47 PM

I am sitting here with the radio on and the news is being reported as "70% of consumers are choosing Blu-ray." In just a few hours this news has spread like wild fire to cable news outlets and radio stations. People that were considering a high definition purchase just changed their plans. You can bank on that. I don't know how this can be interpreted as anything but devastating for Toshiba and the HD DVD format.
post #909 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronSCH View Post

I am sitting here with the radio on and the news is being reported as "70% of consumers are choosing Blu-ray." In just a few hours this news has spread like wild fire to cable news outlets and radio stations. People that were considering a high definition purchase just changed their plans. You can bank on that. I doon't know how this can be interpreted as anything but devastating for Toshiba and the HD DVD format.

hddvd's dead, we know that. Now we're hearing how it's a monopoly trust issue, lets see how this goes.
post #910 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 12:49 PM

Quote:

Even if this is true, by the time the questions are raised, the hearings are made and the slap on the wrist has occured (remember Microsoft), the death nails of one format will have been driven home.
post #911 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronSCH View Post

I am sitting here with the radio on and the news is being reported as "70% of consumers are choosing Blu-ray." In just a few hours this news has spread like wild fire to cable news outlets and radio stations. People that were considering a high definition purchase just changed their plans. You can bank on that. I doon't know how this can be interpreted as anything but devastating for Toshiba and the HD DVD format.

Well if you want to know how it can be interpreted as something other than that just ask rdjam and plazman.
post #912 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Highly, highly unlikely. It's a wise business move if they did indeed make it worth BB's while to jump on board. People always whine to the FTC about unfair trade practices, and most of the time it's bunk. This will be no different if it happens. They are leveraging their assets in the same way that Coke does with McDonald's (Coke has one major competitor), XM with MLB (XM has one major competitor), etc. through financial incentives such as slashed pricing models. Of course, this is all assuming SNE does indeed have a deal with BBI.

Keep in mind this is coming from a primarily HD DVD supporter and a bigtime MSFT lover. We can all yell in unison that SNE is evil (it's true), but at the end of the day, Toshiba, MSFT, and Uni have been dropping the ball until recently...and MSFT still hasn't leveraged its clout the way it could have.

post #913 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My guess is that pretty soon with any HD-DVD that gets released... it will be in the combo version (regular DVD & HD-DVD). And there will be NO other way to purchase this title. So, Blockbuster will have to carry HD-DVD's if they want to carry the regular dvd.
post #914 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 12:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowtalon View Post

Zip.ca rents movies in Canada. Here's what the CEO put up on the forums:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEO View Post

Zip Staff
Blockbuster has made the surprising announcement that it will not offer HD DVD rentals in its 1,450 US rental stores, and will instead limit hi-definition rentals in those locations only to the Blu-ray format.

This is a premature declaration of peace in the so-called format war between HD DVD and Blu-ray.

In our view, this is not yet resolved, no matter how much you, we and Blockbuster all wish it was. So we plan to continue offering any and all titles in both hi-def formats as long as our customers want either of them.

Give that man a Ceegar!

This is absolutely correct - and HERE is a company that cares about it's customers. A very smart take on the market.

IMV, BBs deal reeks of a deal, and shoves their hairy back into the faces of customers - many of whom also rent DVDs.

The

The
post #915 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyaninLA View Post

... the death nails of one format will have been driven home.

More like through the heart. But what cracks me up is that the conspiracy theorists are rearing their ugly heads. There is no chance that Blockbuster made a smart business decision and HD DVD consumers made a bad one? Absolute insanity.
post #916 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 12:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty22001 View Post

Would it really kill you to support BD?

You forgot to say please

The

The
post #917 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

I stopped buying Laserdiscs at a point too. Was late in the cycle, I bought the 'Special Editions' on LD.

When I know a format is done, I stop buying it. It hit there on hddvd awhile ago.

That is where we differ. I dont feel it is done. I am buying what is out now, not what MAY happen, or any other crystal ball, format war stuff is going on. I just love movies in general, and HD and BD give me my fix.

I'd love to get my hands on a Blu Monster's Ball.-LilStinky

Refering to a possible release of said movie on BD LOL
post #918 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urza View Post

That is where we differ. I dont feel it is done. I am buying what is out now, not what MAY happen, or any other crystal ball, format war stuff is going on. I just love movies in general, and HD and BD give me my fix.

Ok, I have both too. But cleary hddvd's a goner. Has been for a long long time except for the true believers.

If.. hddvd turns around and takes over, ok. I'll gladly buy a dedicated hddvd player.

However, that's just not gonna happen. I'll use my xbox addon while I need it.
post #919 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timick1 View Post

My guess is that pretty soon with any HD-DVD that gets released... it will be in the combo version (regular DVD & HD-DVD). And there will be NO other way to purchase this title. So, Blockbuster will have to carry HD-DVD's if they want to carry the regular dvd.

And if so, that will seal HD DVD's fate in my household for sure. At least right now I'll still buy single-sided Uni titles.

post #920 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paidgeek View Post

I have heard from a reliable source that Target will go BD hardware exclusive...

Yes, I have heard rumblings about this as well, albeit third-hand but still. Crazy/scary stuff if true.
post #921 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:

The hell..

So this is your next attack point, how Sony is.. what? Is there ANY evidence whatsoever that this isn't because BB saw 70% of their market for BD, and the rest is dead shelf space for HD?

Now, we have... lemme sit back and think about this.. Someone saying that that the FTC and other assorted government people will look into why Blockbuster picked Blu-ray and.. Win this for hddvd with a government led anti-trust assault against Blu-ray?

I mean, is that what is suggested here?

LOL if this is the case
post #922 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You forgot to say please

You're moving into real conspiracy stuff. This is going beyond fanboi and getting.. C'mon.
post #923 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post

LOL if this is the case

He hasn't denied it. I'm really concerned that he may actually think that the government will shut down BD because of BB choosing them, and hddvd will then be the winner.
post #924 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traelin View Post

Hindsight is 20/20, but it's still fun to play.

I still don't understand why Microsoft didn't leverage its position better. Why didn't they strongarm Dell, a longtime MSFT ally, into backing HD DVD? Why didn't they ensure 100% support for HD DVD through Vista but not Blu-ray? It wouldn't have been considered monopolistic if they were supporting the official media of the HD Forum.

Why didn't Tosh and Uni/Warner more thoroughly test those horrid, horrid combos? Why wasn't more work put into getting another CE manufacturer to build HD players from the get-go?

So many questions...and if the appropriate actions were taken, IMHO you'd have a much different game being played.

I don't see how you can say I'm engaging in hindsight here.

That was the situation at the beginning of this year. The landscape hasn't really changed other than Blu-ray has maintained and even increased its sales lead a little since then.

I didn't even say Blu-ray has won or even that Universal will go neutral. I'm simply saying that HD-DVD's survival is 100% staked on Universal's continued exclusivity, and that is not a good business model to invest in.
post #925 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 12:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
MAN! this thread is getting good! No matter what side you're on, CRAZY stuff! Pass the popcorn!

post #926 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Ok, I have both too. But cleary hddvd's a goner. Has been for a long long time except for the true believers.

If.. hddvd turns around and takes over, ok. I'll gladly buy a dedicated hddvd player.

However, that's just not gonna happen. I'll use my xbox addon while I need it.

I am fairly sure the Matrix set will turn out to have been my last HDDVD purchase.
post #927 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick99 View Post

I am fairly sure the Matrix set will turn out to have been my last HDDVD purchase.

I think Out of Sight will be mine.. I occasionally rent a few from netflix, but they are getting rare.
post #928 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You forgot to say please

Dont worry, very soon you may have too

Dustin
post #929 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

There is a survey available at MSNBC.com about this move by Blockbuster. This story also appears on their front page:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19289649/

~Josh

hidefpreview
post #930 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 01:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dialog_gvf View Post

Zip.ca is 100% online, and BB is still going to offer HD DVD online. How are the two any different in that regard?

I would expect if Zip.ca's CEO had several thousand B&M storefronts to deal with, and had to justify the per square foot returns for niche formats, he might have to make a similar decision.

Gary

Blockbuster wouldn't dare drop HD DVD online, as their competitors, like Netflix and Zip would have them for breakfast. Doesn't mean that Blockbuster would not WANT to drop HD DVD, and in fact probably would in a minute, if there was no competition.

Competition is good - and protects consumers. I am of the opinion that BB has been "incentivized" to do this.

BB should not be rewarded for this move. I truly hope that another major B&M rental company takes an opposing stand on this issue...

The

The
Reply HDTV Software Media Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page