Blockbuster Blu-ray announcement: Master Thread - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just called Value Electronics and cancelled my AX2, thanks BB for making my day miserable. I will stay on the sideline a little longer until there is a clear cut winner.

Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 01:53 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty22001 View Post

I dunno what display you have, but I show 50+ year olds the difference between SD and bluray and it's night and day for them.

I get the feeling that everyone that doesn't care is seeing 50" or less. Heck, my semi-nerd HD friend is getting tired of sub 60".

You didn't read my entire post, I said the difference isn't big on a 36" display. When you go 50"+ that is when the difference is more noticable. What I was trying to say is that there are a lot of people who don't have anything bigger than a 36" and with that you aren't going to have many people wanting to re-buy disc and players and all.
post #993 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 01:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_E View Post

My birthday was yesterday. Things are great here.

Happy B'day, bro!

We might be moving back in the fall.
Miss the old place...

post #994 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatboy77 View Post

There is a survey available at MSNBC.com about this move by Blockbuster. This story also appears on their front page:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19289649/

~Josh

Ha ha, I got a technical error when I went to the live poll. I guess MS doesn't like people using Linux + Firefox.
post #995 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLC1843 View Post

At this rate, I'm thinking even if Blu-Ray takes the cake and is the only HD format available it will stay in niche status. People are just too happy with the cheap prices of SD-DVD and it looks "good enough."

I think it was scarely close to that. If the stalemate had lasted sigificantly into 2008 (e.g. Q1-2) I would have agreed (and been quite upset). If this snowballs into a clear win before the holidays (and it's looking like it could actually happen) then I think Blu-ray stands a good chance of unseating DVD, although in unit sales numbers (software) it will likely take a decade...just like DVD took to unseat VHS. The important thing is that one format become the defacto "next" format so people feel comfortable enough to buy one on a whim (e.g. when they buy an HDTV). Lower hardware prices will also help, but only in the absence of a format war. As long as the public consciousness adopts one format as the "next format", and the studios continues to not just put good content, but innovate new forms of interactivity, then HD optical media should still replace DVD. Of course dowloads will fragment the market to some degree, but it will be minimal for quite a while if one format becomes the winner.

Be a Reality fanboy.
post #996 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Originally Posted by Penton-Man:
"I like Target, they're right next to my local Blockbuster store.
Makes things convenient."
Quote:
Originally Posted by donricouga View Post

Maybe the store next to them will also go blu-ray exclusive

LOL!
post #997 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You didn't read my entire post, I said the difference isn't big on a 36" display. When you go 50"+ that is when the difference is more noticable. What I was trying to say is that there are a lot of people who don't have anything bigger than a 36" and with that you aren't going to have many people wanting to re-buy disc and players and all.

Sorry, I missed that.

Indeed, at 36" they are about as good with VCD or VHS.
post #998 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob316 View Post

I just called Value Electronics and cancelled my AX2, thanks BB for making my day miserable. I will stay on the sideline a little longer until there is a clear cut winner.

Rob

Don't you think things are a little clearer since the announcement?

Kind of seems like you do since you cancelled your order based on it.
post #999 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 01:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIO View Post

Blockbuster sucks anyway. They edit their movies for content. I haven't rented from them in years because of that fact. Hollywood Video DOES NOT EDIT FOR CONTENT!

http://www.lumpen.com/fatherland/groupo1.html

post #1000 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_E View Post

I sent them a message letting them know how happy I am with this news! I let them know I will be droppiong Netflix to switch to Blockbuster.

Doesn't NetFlix have a larger catalog?
post #1001 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottscay View Post

I think it was scarely close to that. If the stalemate had lasted sigificantly into 2008 (e.g. Q1-2) I would have agreed (and been quite upset). If this snowballs into a clear win before the holidays (and it's looking like it could actually happen) then I think Blu-ray stands a good chance of unseating DVD, although in unit sales numbers (software) it will likely take a decade...just like DVD took to unseat VHS. The important thing is that one format become the defacto "next" format so people feel comfortable enough to buy one on a whim (e.g. when they buy an HDTV). Lower hardware prices will also help, but only in the absence of a format war. As long as the public consciousness adopts one format as the "next format", and the studios continues to not just put good content, but innovate new forms of interactivity, then HD optical media should still replace DVD. Of course dowloads will fragment the market to some degree, but it will be minimal for quite a while if one format becomes the winner.

I don't know, I think it will take whatever HD format wins a long time to unseat DVD and I think longer than DVD took to unseat VHS. The quality from VHS to DVD was huge. While the quality of HD Media against DVD is huge too, it isn't as huge as VHS to DVD. The quality is more apparent with larger displays, which frankly, not everyone has a large display to view movies on.
post #1002 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdg345 View Post

Doesn't NetFlix have a larger catalog?

I have had problems with availability of some of the newer BD releases so I am currently a customer of both and really like it.

I do hope this means that my local store will carry BD soon.
post #1003 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Originally Posted by Monty22001
"If Halo 3 or GTA4 needs 2 DVD's, people will appreciate the BD in PS3."
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdizzle View Post

you think so? final fantasy 7 had 3 cd's and metal gear solid had 2 cds.....i dont think it ruined anyones experience with those games.

Yeah...but if you had a choice?

I mean, I'm a big 360/HD DVD fan and even I will admit that it would be pretty dang cool if you could have all the greatness of GTAIV, etc on one disc instead of 2+. And I mean, IF this IS or will become the ACTUAL REALITY of the way devs will use BD-50 on the PS3 (think about how movie studios put out 2 disc editions for no other reason then marketing...).

Now if the frame rate or graphics are even slightly glitchy on the PS3 for GTAIV versus how the game functions on the 360 - then I will buy the 2 disc 360 version every time and twice on Sunday. However, such latter issues are purely speculation and unrelated. 1 disc instead of 2 is just cool. (if truly possible, if truly utilized as such)

We shall see...
post #1004 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

I hope Skogan is looking up why Blockbuster choosing BD as their rental choice is subject to an antitrust movement.
post #1005 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
maybe it is new math, but how is 1500/5000 stores = 85% of B&M stores?

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
post #1006 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivartk View Post

I think it was supposed to be something like of stores that carry HD media 85% will carry only BD, and it didn't work.
post #1007 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivartk View Post

1450 / 1700 = 85%?

I think they're just talking about the stores that carry HD.
post #1008 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iontyre View Post

We are all going to pay for your 'Who's got the bigger..." mentality. You, my dear sir, are the real minority, and you have somehow been alllowed to speak for the rest of us, the real majority.

Money talks.
post #1009 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjam View Post

I think it's only a problem for the FTC where the terms of a deal are made more lucrative to a dominant market player, to the disadvantage of their competitors, where the agreed result would compromise consumer choice.

That's the layman's terms outline. And in this instance, it may be relevant...

If BB coincidentally gets Sony Pictures exclusive releases, at the expense of their competitors, there are potentially going to be a few questions...

Give it a rest. I hope my tax dollars are used for better things than investigating Sony's relationship with Blockbuster Video. OOO the Weinstein brothers have an exclusivity agreement with Blockbuster somebody call 1-800-LAWYER.

If I own a candy store and I don't like Hershey prodcuts(and I don't) then I don't have to sell Hershey products. Go to any grocery store and check out what they do with shelf space. Who cares if there are questions.

post #1010 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 02:06 PM

Quote:

I don't know, I think it will take whatever HD format wins a long time to unseat DVD and I think longer than DVD took to unseat VHS. The quality from VHS to DVD was huge. While the quality of HD Media against DVD is huge too, it isn't as huge as VHS to DVD. The quality is more apparent with larger displays, which frankly, not everyone has a large display to view movies on.

I don't think Blu-ray has to unseat DVD to succeed. There was no backwards compatibility with VHS when DVD came on to the scene. DVD had to replace VHS entirely. As prices continue to drop on players many manufacturers will simply be producing Blu-ray units and it will not require an entire conversion. Both formats can live harmoniously. Blu-ray will be more of a natural progression from DVD as opposed to something that will supplant it. This is a very different scenario.

That wasn't possible for HD DVD and Blu-ray because of opposing camps and duplication of what is essentially the same end result. Eventually all discs produced will be high definition except for the most obscure material and even then, it will be compatible with your Blu-ray player. Digital downloads will proabably play an increasing role in the years to come but you will probably use your media center for that as well....that was and is Sony's vision.

I think they got this one right.
post #1011 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpalmieri1203 View Post

Give it a rest. I hope my tax dollars are used for better things than investigating Sony's relationship with Blockbuster Video. OOO the Weinstein brothers have an exclusivity agreement with Blockbuster somebody call 1-800-LAWYER.

If I own a candy store and I don't like Hershey prodcuts(and I don't) then I don't have to sell Hershey products. Go to any grocery store and check out what they do with shelf space. Who cares if there are questions.

Let them attack BD that way.

That's going to kill their 'underdog' movement, which is all they ever had.
post #1012 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urza View Post

If BD wins so be it, I have both, as I hedged my bets.

But, I also want BD ONLY folk to answer thesse questions, and be honest!

1. Come clean about Universal, if and when they go neutral, admit your going to buy a ton of movies from them right?. Your just bashing them now, because they support the other guy. Stop the "Universal has nothing I want" BS, its a lie, and I can understand because of the war. Time to come clean ...

Yes, good s*** here. Can't wait to see how fast the BD nay-sayers line up to buy the Bourne trilogy once all is said and done.
post #1013 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiable-Akuma View Post

Yes, good s*** here. Can't wait to see how fast the BD nay-sayers line up to buy the Bourne trilogy once all is said and done.

I love a lot of the Universal titles, just haven't been tempted to add an additional player, now it looks like I may not have to.
post #1014 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm not going to spin this as "good news" in any way for HD DVD. It isn't. It's bad press and it also is not good when any retailer (whatever the size) decides to back the other format exclusively.

However, I do agree with the HD folks that this is a shortsighted approach. While saying "70% of our rentals are blu-ray" sounds impressive, what are the total numbers we're dealing with? Because, as we've seen from the sales figures, the market is very small right now. To pick one side for rental only a year in with small adoption rates for HDM in general seems silly to me.

But, that being said -- and again, I'm not downplaying the negative press here -- we're dealing with a company lost over a billion dollars a year from 2002-2004. They've closed hundreds of stores. They posted a $46.4 million loss just for Q1 this year. They aren't the major player that they were back in the late 1990s... and the main place that are seeing any growth right now is on online rentals, where they are format-neutral.

Ultimately, I think that Blockbuster found that HD rentals were slower than anticipated and decided to stick with one format to (a) help end the war and (b) reduce stock requirements for a slow moving product. History will tell if this was the right move or not, but if they see any growth they're ignoring, this is a decision they can change quickly.
post #1015 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaewon View Post

1450 / 1700 = 85%?

I think they're just talking about the stores that carry HD.

Slightly different than all B&M stores which is what the title implies.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
post #1016 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You are right about PQ advantage on many installed sets, but of course that was also true of many installed sets with DVD in 1998. More importantly (to non-HT enthustiasts) IMO is advanced interactivity for kids content, etc., (of course both formats can deliver this, but only one can be mass-adopted); while the HD-ness of the image and sound should help sell to people buying new TVs (or upgrading their home theaters), I still think it will be the new ways to experience/enjoy media content that will help drive adoption in the long run with other consumers. Who cares if you notice how much better the PQ is if your kids can get even more hours of enjoyment from The Little Mermaid?

Be a Reality fanboy.
post #1017 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiffylush View Post

To keep it on topic, I thought it was funny that BB carried PS3 games and didn't carry BD movies, due to the fact that every person who rents PS3 games is a potential BD customer.

This is an excellent, excellent point - and it truly speaks to the fact that Blockbuster is not IN ACTUALITY an "evil" company here, "acting way too early", and under-handedly willing to accept backdoor bribes from the Sony empire - but rather a sane and honest business trying to help their company. Let's let the company bashing, negativity, and conspiracy theories die.

If you want to blame somebody, you can blame Sony for putting BD in the PS3 but then again shouldn't we now be at the point where we can freely admit that apparently Sony made a good general long-term business decision with that move?
post #1018 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjam View Post

Give that man a Ceegar!

This is absolutely correct - and HERE is a company that cares about it's customers. A very smart take on the market.

IMV, BBs deal reeks of a deal, and shoves their hairy back into the faces of customers - many of whom also rent DVDs.

But blockbuster is still renting titles online? How are these two different?? They will offer the same exact service. How many B&M stores does zip.ca have???

post #1019 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 02:13 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 314
my friends

this certainly is an interesting thread but there are two areas best we stay away from:

-attacking another member for any reason

-implying there is illegal activity: not the stuff for AVS: take it to a legal forum but not here

Thank you

Please take the high road in every post
Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
post #1020 of 2370 Old 06-18-2007, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatpopsicle View Post

Well as a long time blockbuster customer, I will now cancel my membership and probably go with netflix.

I will never ever buy blu-ray. If HD DVD suddenly dies, I will be happy with Xbox Live HD marketplace before I will buy BD.

As a side note, Blockbuster really should have a way to easily find which stores have HD DVD (franchise stores) on their website. The fact that they don't is pathetic.

why do you take this format war way too personal? saying that you will never buy a blu-ray movie even if it wins this format war. what rational explanation do you have to hate a format so much?
Reply HDTV Software Media Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page