Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 61 Old 07-16-2007, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
http://www.homemediaexpo.com/hmexpo/v42/index.cvn

See above link. What kind of announcements, if any, should we expect to see - do you expect to see - or do you wish we would see...at this expo going on this week?

Would it be stupid to get excited and expect to hear a bunch of new HD movie titles, hardware, and other cool stuff revealed - or is there a pretty dang good chance such will occur?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 Old 07-16-2007, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

I expect to hear that BD has won the war again.
J
post #3 of 61 Old 07-16-2007, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I see Fox, Warner, and Sony seem to have several booths at the show (i.e. a "big presence"?). I don't see Disney/Buena Vista though...
post #4 of 61 Old 07-16-2007, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

I expect lots of title announcements.

Be a Reality fanboy.
post #5 of 61 Old 07-16-2007, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
One of the things I want to see is already happening: pressure on Universal. See the Variety article in another thread.

These events have traditionally been a sounding board for dealers to tell the studios what they want. The last two were filled with criticism of the format war.

This is a crazy situation. We have DVD sales falling. One large rental chain has gone bankrupt, another is shutting stores. Many indie stores have shuttered.

People are buying HDTV like crazy, cable and satellite are adding literally 100's of HD channels, downloading services are springing up.

So what does the industry do about a new HDM format? They have a format war that has adoption stuck at under 2%.

I would hope that the studios (in particular Universal) would hear this message this week, loud and clear.
post #6 of 61 Old 07-16-2007, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Not all of these are new announcements per say, but this is what we should see:

Fox / MGM - They should map out some plan for Blu-ray... Let's hope the Sergio Leone westerns will be mentioned... Officially.

Warner - Will start hyping the home video release of Harry Potter 5 and Ocean's 11, and will probably address when the older films will show up in High Definition.

Sony - Spiderman 3... Unless they hold back for Comic Con.

Disney - Will talk about Meet The Robinsons, possibly drop a hint about Ratatouille and push TV hard. I figure they'll finally confim Lost: Season 3.

Lionsgate - Um... Push Condemed?

Universal - Denies any rumor that they are actually looking into Blu-ray, and will swear that Evan Almighty will be the biggest high definition release in history... jk about the last part.

Weinstein - Looking for hand outs? Might announce something in HD for the 4th quarter.

fitprod
post #7 of 61 Old 07-16-2007, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa8362 View Post

That Toshiba has pulled the plug???

You joke of course, but if done properly, this is their best strategy at this point.
post #8 of 61 Old 07-16-2007, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Hopefully a concrete release schedule that shows us all the titles that are going to be released through the Holidays.
post #9 of 61 Old 07-16-2007, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

I hope, hope, hope, HOPE that Fox will announce a new release schedule, starting with say... September releases.

Be a Reality fanboy.
post #10 of 61 Old 07-16-2007, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlsmith View Post

You joke of course, but if done properly, this is their best strategy at this point.

And why is that?
post #11 of 61 Old 07-16-2007, 10:29 AM

Quote:

It won't happen from Toshiba. Studios will have to abandon HD DVD. Toshiba if they don't win out wants high def discs as a whole to fail as SD DVD is their IP and they get royalties from every SD DVD.

I expect FUD. Lot and lots of FUD.
post #12 of 61 Old 07-16-2007, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

I expect Fox to announce many great titles !

To be canceled the day after
post #13 of 61 Old 07-16-2007, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingCoastal View Post

I expect FUD. Lot and lots of FUD.

Best summery yet.
J
post #14 of 61 Old 07-16-2007, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Fox - goes format neutral and supports HD DVD
Disney - goes format neutral and supports HD DVD
Warner - goes HD DVD exclusive
Paramount - goes HD DVD exclusive

Please feel free to visit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or follow my NEWS feed on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 61 Old 07-16-2007, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiable-Akuma View Post

Would it be stupid to get excited

Yes, expect nothing earth-shaking.
post #16 of 61 Old 07-16-2007, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightWatcher View Post

Fox - goes format neutral and supports HD DVD
Disney - goes format neutral and supports HD DVD
Warner - goes HD DVD exclusive
Paramount - goes HD DVD exclusive

You forgot the whisper of PS4 with a built in HD DVD drive.
post #17 of 61 Old 07-16-2007, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big J View Post

I expect to hear that BD has won the war again.
J

What he said!
post #18 of 61 Old 07-16-2007, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

I hear Twighlight Zone music...

Be a Reality fanboy.
post #19 of 61 Old 07-16-2007, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCheese View Post

And why is that?

This is very very unlikely but, as long as you asked, let me explain my scenario.

Toshiba goes to Sony and cuts a royalty deal, obtaining some percentage of the Blu-ray IP. Toshiba then sells out its stock, then announces a combo player for fall. [Perhaps a rebadged Samsung.] The deal is put together as an industry-wide package for ending the format war, with Universal co-announcing their support of Blu-ray. HD DVD studios pledge to continue supporting HD DVD as long as there is demand.

This is actually worth quite a bit to Sony since it would resolve their Blu-ray problems and really help with the PS3. So Sony might be willing to give up more than one might guess to get this done cleanly.

This helps Toshiba because they get to stop spending a lot of money promoting HD DVD and trying to compete against virtually every other CE manufacturer in a format war. Instead, they get to be a major player in the Blu-ray roll-out.

I cannot think of a single participant to the format war that does not benefit from this except possiblity Microsoft.
post #20 of 61 Old 07-16-2007, 10:46 AM
Advanced Member

I expect all the BD "insiders" on here to retract all the crap coming from them on the Fox soon to be released schedules. They haven't been right on 90% of it so far. There will be nothing exciting at all. Sony will talk of BD winning all over the place and Universal will tell everyone that Sony is being premature in their words. Fox will pretend to know nothing about HD DVD or BD.

Ed

PSN - eghill1125
post #21 of 61 Old 07-16-2007, 10:55 AM

Quote:

This is very very unlikely but, as long as you asked, let me explain my scenario.

Toshiba goes to Sony and cuts a royalty deal, obtaining some percentage of the Blu-ray IP. Toshiba then sells out its stock, then announces a combo player for fall. [Perhaps a rebadged Samsung.] The deal is put together as an industry-wide package for ending the format war, with Universal co-announcing their support of Blu-ray. HD DVD studios pledge to continue supporting HD DVD as long as there is demand.

This is actually worth quite a bit to Sony since it would resolve their Blu-ray problems and really help with the PS3. So Sony might be willing to give up more than one might guess to get this done cleanly.

This helps Toshiba because they get to stop spending a lot of money promoting HD DVD and trying to compete against virtually every other CE manufacturer in a format war. Instead, they get to be a major player in the Blu-ray roll-out.

I cannot think of a single participant to the format war that does not benefit from this except possiblity Microsoft.

I just can't see why. from the numbers of 1,800,000 BD discs to the 1,300,000 HD DVD discs is no where reason enough to do it, when you consider the 5 or 6 to 1 player ratio, the at present studio support and what not, the BD camp can't even pull off a 2-1 difference. What if ONE studio went neutral or all of a sudden the were vast amount of HD DVD players coming out? Big difference in numbers. I could see if disc sales were 3,000,000 plus to 1,300,000 but the numbers as of now mean really squat based on what the two camps have going for their respective selves.
post #22 of 61 Old 07-16-2007, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just can't see why. from the numbers of 1,800,000 BD discs to the 1,300,000 HD DVD discs is no where reason enough to do it, when you consider the 5 or 6 to 1 player ratio, the at present studio support and what not, the BD camp can't even pull off a 2-1 difference. What if ONE studio went neutral or all of a sudden the were vast amount of HD DVD players coming out? Big difference in numbers. I could see if disc sales were 3,000,000 plus to 1,300,000 but the numbers as of now mean really squat based on what the two camps have going for their respective selves.

I am rather sure that Toshiba is thinking something like what you say, and therefore is not going to be interested in making a deal with Sony. However, it still might be in their best interest to do so. We don't know.
post #23 of 61 Old 07-16-2007, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Toshiba doesn't have to make a deal with Sony.

Look at the roadmap they've delivered.

China will be using AOD for their player. Licensing bonanza
Toshiba is eating its own dogfood. Their 2008 laptop line will likely have HD DVD players on all but the lowest end (my guess)

That's amazing production capabilities and it will have an effect on movie sales. Most laptop screens are HD and movies look great on them due to the proximity of the user.

No quit in these guys yet.
post #24 of 61 Old 07-16-2007, 11:16 AM

Quote:

The reason for the disk sales to player sales discrepancy is only 1/3 of households have HD display devices. All stand alones are attached to HD displays, but only approximately 1/3 of PS3's are attached to a HD display, and it makes no sense to buy BR movies without a HD display.
post #25 of 61 Old 07-16-2007, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

I think all of the announcements about Blu-Ray and HD-DVD will be 100% accurate and truthful.

A man can dream, can't he?
post #26 of 61 Old 07-16-2007, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

A few "blind" bloggers and self proclaimed disk reviewers will place their hands on some HD equipment. One will pick up a BR recordable disk with hard coating and proclaim "This is sooo hard we should be putting these disks on HumVees."

Another will grab the long list of studios supporting BR (24) and claim "This is longer than the biggest snake that ever existed!" even though there are 27 studios supporting HD DVD.

Still others will look at the 4 CE companies producing players for BR and claim "This large base of support is larger than any tree and can support millions of players." When in fact Tosh alone can support millions of players.

Of course most of them will get all observations inccorect as those blind men touching the elephant. In this case a white elephant.
post #27 of 61 Old 07-16-2007, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiable-Akuma View Post

See above link. What kind of announcements, if any, should we expect to see - do you expect to see - or do you wish we would see...at this expo going on this week?

Would it be stupid to get excited and expect to hear a bunch of new HD movie titles, hardware, and other cool stuff revealed - or is there a pretty dang good chance such will occur?

BDA: We won the war... err.. again!

Link to story

post #28 of 61 Old 07-16-2007, 11:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottscay View Post

I hope, hope, hope, HOPE that Fox will announce a new release schedule, starting with say... September releases.

After Fox's mega hyped CES anouncements and pro blu-ray cheerleading, followed by mass cancellations with no warning or explanation... I'd have to say any more anouncements from them will be only slightly above pointless. They're gonna have to prove themselves with actual releases.

It is fully conceivable that they might anounce a slew of exciting titles (probably all the cancelled ones plus some additional ones) for Nov/Dec, BD+ might be cracked in October and then who knows what they'll do.
post #29 of 61 Old 07-16-2007, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_dnv View Post

The reason for the disk sales to player sales discrepancy is only 1/3 of households have HD display devices. All stand alones are attached to HD displays, but only approximately 1/3 of PS3's are attached to a HD display, and it makes no sense to buy BR movies without a HD display.

Can you explain to us non-gamers why someone with no HD display would buy an expensive HD game player with a limited library(or so I read) of desirable games instead of PS2 or X-box?
post #30 of 61 Old 07-16-2007, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Their 2008 laptop line will likely have HD DVD players on all but the lowest end (my guess)

That's amazing production capabilities and it will have an effect on movie sales. Most laptop screens are HD and movies look great on them due to the proximity of the user.

No quit in these guys yet.

wow, the HD DVD laptop that will save the format war solution...if this is supposed to save HD DVD, then blu ray has arleady won...

watching an HD DVD movie on a 15" - 17" screen for 2 hours hoping their battery doesn't die with no surround sound or LFE effects is an awesome movie watching experience, especially using those awesome laptop speakers...

Most of these will probably be corporate laptops that probably won't even have HD DVD playback software once the company installs its own image of work related software on the laptop...

the new 70K standalone owners haven't even bought HD DVD disks for their players, but now laptop owners will??? Riiiiigggghtttt.....
Reply HDTV Software Media Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page