To the Format Neutral guys: How do you answer the question, "Which format is better?" - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 08-20-2007, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm dual format owner with small red bias. Recently, I've been asked the question "Which is better, HD DVD or Blu Ray?" by a lot of my HDM virgin friends and every single time I always tell them that HD and BR are the same dang thing with different colored cases. I used to recommend Blu Ray if they had to pick one, based on studio support. That will change after this morning's announcement.

Specs are one thing, but the actual product on my screen and coming out of my speakers is what I judge the media with and, to my eyes and ears, HD and Blu Ray both look and sound perfect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 08-20-2007, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I find myself in the same position as you, and up until today I had been recommending Blu-Ray for the same reason as you.

My advice now? Same as it was before HD DVD pulled a near no-show in Q1 this year: Stay on the sidelines.

I'm into both formats and I'm happy to be, but I rolled the dice. I know one person who owns the LG combo player. I *might* recommend the upcoming Samsung combo to someone if they are itching to get in. But I can't see telling anyone to stick with just one format right now.

If co-existence is the ultimate endgame here, so be it.

My DVD, Blu-Ray and HD DVD Collection @
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 Old 08-20-2007, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

honestly i recommend hd-dvd with the intention of if you want to get in this war get in at the cheapest possible price and know there is a possibility the player you buy today might fail.

and if it fails you might as well have not committed alot of money to either side.
post #4 of 16 Old 08-20-2007, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagouar View Post

honestly i recommend hd-dvd with the intention of if you want to get in this war get in at the cheapest possible price and know there is a possibility the player you buy today might fail.

and if it fails you might as well have not committed alot of money to either side.

Buy the PS3 and when both fail you can play games.
post #5 of 16 Old 08-20-2007, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

or a 360 + hd-dvd addon... thats what i currently have. and i get lionsgate/disney flicks via the 360 download service in the process get the most & best games out there.
post #6 of 16 Old 08-20-2007, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't think either format is better than the other at the moment.

You know "that look" women get when they want sex? Me neither. - Steve Martin
post #7 of 16 Old 08-20-2007, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

the one that does more, for less

Mits-WS55413;Denon-3803;ToshibaXA1 HD-DVD;Klipsch- RF35;Samsung-TS160;SVS PB12plus/2
XBL GT - se7entee7
post #8 of 16 Old 08-20-2007, 02:23 PM

I tell people that they are different, but the same.
post #9 of 16 Old 08-20-2007, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

I like my XA2 better that the first gen Samsung, Sony 300 or my PS3, so I buy HD DVD unless it's a blu exclusive.

I miss the rosewood sides on the old Pioneer Elite equipment!

Blu-ray - 576

HD DVD - 81

post #10 of 16 Old 08-20-2007, 02:44 PM

If it were only that easy. I think HD DVD has an advantage on special feature abilities. BR seems to have an advantage on space and bit-rates. HD DVD has lower priced players and combo discs. BR supports 7.1 audio.

Indeed I will wait for a very good universal player.
post #11 of 16 Old 08-20-2007, 04:07 PM
Advanced Member

That's easy, the answer is neither.
post #12 of 16 Old 08-20-2007, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

That's a difficult question to answer. It can be approached from several different angles.

1.) I like HD DVD better. Not sure why.

2.) My BD player (Panny) performs more reliably that does my HD DVD player (XA2). Not by much ... but a little. (lipsync)

3.) I think they both produce terrific pix and sound. A toss up.

4.) I've always thought that HD DVD was the best idea for the studios.

5.) My bottom line recommendation has been get an HD DVD player. Then, if you can afford to, get a BD player. That's what I did.

6.) It's a matter of personal taste ... but I'm much more attracted to the content so far that is exclusive to HD than to BD.

Hank Brown

"Being at the right place at the right time is purely a function of being at the right place a lot."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 16 Old 08-20-2007, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
different color cases, that is pretty much it. Both have weak players, high cost for media, limited availability etc. I think they are both failing. I feel like we are all just standing around waiting for the one good title a month to come out. Where are the catalog releases? I want thousands of titles not a few hundred. I hope they both fail and we get somthing better.
post #14 of 16 Old 08-20-2007, 07:17 PM

I can't imagine not owning both formats. My HD-DVD player is the really slow HD-A1 so I favor Blu-Ray for now, and might want to upgrade to a 3rd gen HD-DVD if they support all the uncompressed advanced audio decoding and bitstream passing. Although once the HD-DVDs are playing they really are imposable to differentiate from PQ and AQ.

The other advantage of my PS3 is that it is wi-fi and updates without having to unplug the router which is a major pain for roommates when I want to update the Toshiba.

The third reason why I favor the Blu as of now is that like many I hate combo discs. I will buy the Blu-ray edition for $5 cheaper over the HD-DVD combo version. I don't own a standard definition display and don't loan out my DVDs.

Either way both formats will continue to get better unless a victor is declared. My current preferences are based more on the fact that my PS3 is a better player (and more expensive) than the HD-DVD player and less on the actual format. My preferences might flip if I end up buying the HDXA3 (it better have wifi) or whatever Toshiba has up their sleeves. Really the only thing that is format specific that bothers me about either of them is the awful HD-DVD combos which I hope will go away.
post #15 of 16 Old 08-20-2007, 07:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 135
I'll tell my buddies to buy a dual format player or two standalones.. It's going to be a long war now..

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #16 of 16 Old 08-20-2007, 07:31 PM
Advanced Member

go with the best bang for the buck.

Right now, that's HD DVD.

Fully finalized spec player for $250 or under, and a great bunch of titles.

When people can get a fully finalized spec'd (BDJ 1.1/2.0/BD LIVE) Bluray player for the same cost ($250 or under), I will be able to recommend them both.
Reply HDTV Software Media Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page