post #271 of 1560 Old 09-04-2007, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkstr8t View Post

Have you seen a single denial regarding whether P/DW received significant subsidies? No. There have been confirmations (i.e. Viacom executives, Toshiba), there have been "no comments", and there have been "we didn't pay them" (Microsoft). I've seen no denials. Michael, is it your opinion that P/DW received no consideration of any kind for this decision? If not, what's the point of your post?

Talk,

Exactly what is your point....

How does continuing to smash the bejeezus out of the atoms of this particularly dead horse change anything. Are you here to add value as an insider or argue about the impossible to know exact details of any Toshiba/Viacom agreement, that is now a done deal and irreversible.

The only value i I have seen you add in weeks was the clarification of the BD marketing spin on European SAL market share. To your credit you helped wipe some silly egg off the marketing yayhoos faces.

Respectfully don't you think it is time to move passed this thing. All your and everyone elses breastbeating is not going to change anything. If your partuclar expertise is as a SUN software honcho can't you get back to defending Java, and discussing the why's and wherefores of Profiles etc, BD Live etc.

Now do us all a favor and find your Sunny voice again because the Paramount deal is a waste of all our time these days. If you could get your feelings in check, you would find it was a waste of your time as well as it ours. We might as well be arguing about the last hurricane that hit the Yucatan and what we could do today to change that event now.

There is no time machine, and we do not have a copy of the contract, nor the legal scholars at the ready to interpret it if we did. So please we need you to get back to being an expert not just another of the hundreds of fanatics on here arguing for arguments sake.

While many of us don't necessarily agree with you on a lot things you do have valuable information and insight to offer. Nothing else needs to be said about Paramount... and no more sub atomic particles need creating.

Just another blank signature.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1560 Old 09-04-2007, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Have you seen a single denial regarding whether P/DW received significant subsidies? No. There have been confirmations (i.e. Viacom executives, Toshiba), there have been "no comments", and there have been "we didn't pay them" (Microsoft). I've seen no denials. Michael, is it your opinion that P/DW received no consideration of any kind for this decision? If not, what's the point of your post?

This is you being bitter because no one paid Paramount $150 million like you want to believe.

Until you bring me proof of this transaction as you think it happened from your venerable New York Times article, I have nothing more to say to you.
post #273 of 1560 Old 09-04-2007, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Amir, since Talk is specifically talking about Microsoft, I think that opens this up for you to comment on the other side. Talk has been talking about the HD DVD side all day and we need to be fair. the new rule can't just be there to quiet you alone?

Rich
post #274 of 1560 Old 09-04-2007, 08:08 PM

I wonder if the moderators have considered opening a thread where people post rumors. It would be a welcome change from the format debates raging in all of the other threads. Just a thought.
post #275 of 1560 Old 09-04-2007, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by compson View Post

I wonder if the moderators have considered opening a thread where people post rumors. It would be a welcome change from the format debates raging in all of the other threads. Just a thought.

hehe....this is a rumors only thread

post #276 of 1560 Old 09-04-2007, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpalmieri1203 View Post

I believe you missed his point.
post #277 of 1560 Old 09-04-2007, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Mullis View Post

I believe you missed his point.

I know

post #278 of 1560 Old 09-04-2007, 11:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Talk, so when Disney was asked at IFA if they had recieved financial incentives and said "no comment" that was justifiable. They certainly could have cleared the issue right there with one word for obvious reasons. They did not and that speaks volumes. The BDA is not exactly a not for profit organization as you would have us believe. I have a hard time when a BD insider treats the general public like we are idiots and don't know any better! More money has exchanged hands since this format war started and you know it! To have the audacity to point fingers as the pot calls the kettle black is simply laughable. This is a business and movie studios are out there to make money. You know this better than most. The BDA was started for one reason and one reason alone. Royalties and you know it. Toshiba has made so much money off the royalties from dvd in discs and players sold it is scary. Sony was not about to be left in the cold a second time around and hence the BDA was born.

So when Sony was subsidizing Paramount's BD-50 costs where was your ethics call then. News flash, giving them money up front or covering their costs for producing the discs is the same thing. A financial incentive any way you look at it. Sony is no longer duing this, strangely around the same time Paramount defected. Now I can't say that 50% and 70% yield rates on BD-50's and BD-25's respectively had anything to do with it or the 10% yield rates seen at non Sony factory's compared to 95% yield rates on all HDDVD's had any impact. Also 150 million is chump change and you know it. The industry stands to make far greater profits of high def discs than chicken feed like that and not enough to sway any company to go exclusive on it's own standing.

In essence, stop the holier than thou attitude with the big bombshell of a studio getting financial incentives from a format association as being a moral and ethical dilemna. It's a business and we know better. I don't care if Disney got paid off by Sony as I'm sure they did. I didn't care when Sony was paying for the production of Paramounts BD manufacturing costs. It's a business and that's what businesses do. They are trying to win so they can reap the royalties if the format takes over the market. The BDA is not in this thing to give consumers the best high def experience regardless of monetary gain!!! They have been milking this thing from the start to get every dime from consumers they can and BD 1.0 players at twice the price and barebones BD's which somehow continue to this day are more than proof of that!!! Meaning your new and improved deluxe edition BD of the same title previously purchased and 1.1 or 2.0 spec player are coming your way!!! Sorry I had to clip those angel wings, but somebody needed a reality check!!! And yes I would have gone off on the same rant if an HDDVD insider would have said something so ridiculous.
post #279 of 1560 Old 09-04-2007, 11:57 PM
Advanced Member

Great post PRO-630HD
post #280 of 1560 Old 09-05-2007, 12:47 AM

Well said PRO-630HD

Purple Hi-Def Owner

My Hi Def/DVD Collection
post #281 of 1560 Old 09-05-2007, 12:52 AM

Wow....owned
post #282 of 1560 Old 09-05-2007, 01:23 AM

Concur. Nice post.
post #283 of 1560 Old 09-05-2007, 02:49 AM

Double concur.
post #284 of 1560 Old 09-05-2007, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpalmieri1203 View Post

Ah... Ever heard of "irony"?
post #285 of 1560 Old 09-05-2007, 05:46 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by compson View Post

great idea
post #286 of 1560 Old 09-05-2007, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRO-630HD View Post

Talk, so when Disney was asked at IFA if they had recieved financial incentives and said "no comment" that was justifiable. They certainly could have cleared the issue right there with one word for obvious reasons. They did not and that speaks volumes. The BDA is not exactly a not for profit organization as you would have us believe. ...

Nice post. Agree 100%!

[deleted: no need to insult]
post #287 of 1560 Old 09-05-2007, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Talk, so when Disney was asked at IFA if they had recieved financial incentives and said "no comment" that was justifiable. They certainly could have cleared the issue right there with one word for obvious reasons. They did not and that speaks volumes. The BDA is not exactly a not for profit organization as you would have us believe. I have a hard time when a BD insider treats the general public like we are idiots and don't know any better! More money has exchanged hands since this format war started and you know it! To have the audacity to point fingers as the pot calls the kettle black is simply laughable. This is a business and movie studios are out there to make money. You know this better than most. The BDA was started for one reason and one reason alone. Royalties and you know it. Toshiba has made so much money off the royalties from dvd in discs and players sold it is scary. Sony was not about to be left in the cold a second time around and hence the BDA was born.

So when Sony was subsidizing Paramount's BD-50 costs where was your ethics call then. News flash, giving them money up front or covering their costs for producing the discs is the same thing. A financial incentive any way you look at it. Sony is no longer duing this, strangely around the same time Paramount defected. Now I can't say that 50% and 70% yield rates on BD-50's and BD-25's respectively had anything to do with it or the 10% yield rates seen at non Sony factory's compared to 95% yield rates on all HDDVD's had any impact. Also 150 million is chump change and you know it. The industry stands to make far greater profits of high def discs than chicken feed like that and not enough to sway any company to go exclusive on it's own standing.

In essence, stop the holier than thou attitude with the big bombshell of a studio getting financial incentives from a format association as being a moral and ethical dilemna. It's a business and we know better. I don't care if Disney got paid off by Sony as I'm sure they did. I didn't care when Sony was paying for the production of Paramounts BD manufacturing costs. It's a business and that's what businesses do. They are trying to win so they can reap the royalties if the format takes over the market. The BDA is not in this thing to give consumers the best high def experience regardless of monetary gain!!! They have been milking this thing from the start to get every dime from consumers they can and BD 1.0 players at twice the price and barebones BD's which somehow continue to this day are more than proof of that!!! Meaning your new and improved deluxe edition BD of the same title previously purchased and 1.1 or 2.0 spec player are coming your way!!! Sorry I had to clip those angel wings, but somebody needed a reality check!!! And yes I would have gone off on the same rant if an HDDVD insider would have said something so ridiculous.

OUCH! But true!

Joe V.
post #288 of 1560 Old 09-05-2007, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

+1
Awesome!

A Home Theater Enthusiast!
post #289 of 1560 Old 09-05-2007, 07:19 AM

Speculation: Disney will announce neutrality soon, and release their first HD DVD's THIS year.

I'm Captain Jack Sparrow...Savvy?
post #290 of 1560 Old 09-05-2007, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenDepth View Post

Speculation: Disney will announce neutrality soon, and release their first HD DVD's THIS year.

That would be the shocker of the century!
post #291 of 1560 Old 09-05-2007, 07:35 AM

Specutation 2: All of Spielbergs films will be released on Blu-Ray Disc exklusively.(including Paramount and Universal titles)

wtg. steve!!!!!!!!!!!! yeeeeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaw
post #292 of 1560 Old 09-05-2007, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddymars View Post

Specutation 2: All of Spielbergs films will be released on Blu-Ray Disc exklusively.(including Paramount and Universal titles)

Link? You are supposed to provide a link to a speculation according to the rules of this thread.
post #293 of 1560 Old 09-05-2007, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

Link? You are supposed to provide a link to a speculation according to the rules of this thread.

so is that disney neutrality guy!

i will post my link as soon as he posts his!!!!!!!!!!!

[mod: no need to shout]
post #294 of 1560 Old 09-05-2007, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenDepth View Post

I think you two are looking for the "Wishful Thinking" thread. Although I would like to to see the Disney thing happen.
post #295 of 1560 Old 09-05-2007, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

If Paramount or Universal has the rights to a movie, I would find it hard to believe that Spielberg can force them to release a movie. He may be able to stop them from releasing a movie of his, but I'm pretty sure the studio is not obligated to do anything they don't want to do.
post #296 of 1560 Old 09-05-2007, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezra View Post

I think you two are looking for the "Wishful Thinking" thread. Although I would like to to see the Disney thing happen.

you can bet your a... its defenetly NOT my wishfull thinking!!
Many people here know im blu all the way!

I'm Captain Jack Sparrow...Savvy?
post #297 of 1560 Old 09-05-2007, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

so is that disney neutrality guy!

i will post my link as soon as he posts his!!!!!!!!!!!

[mod: no need to shout]

Here are 3 links that support the rumor about Disney going neutral.

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/7384.cfm

http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2007/05/31/...yes-we-say-no/

http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News...x?NewsId=16554
post #298 of 1560 Old 09-05-2007, 08:39 AM

Look - Paramount is taking MORE MONEY!

Quote:

Paramount Home Entertainment will support the home video debut of TRANSFORMERS with one of the biggest media campaigns in the division's history. The multi-million dollar blitz will include television, print, radio and online advertising reaching a four quadrant audience. The expansive campaign also will include a viral marketing program in which fans can go online to customize a message for their friends from OPTIMUS PRIME and send it via telephone or email. In addition, an array of high-impact displays will be deployed to retail locations across the country. Promotional partners including Chevrolet and Hostess will also extend the TRANSFORMERS message to millions of people.

From the PR of Transformers being released 10/16 - details in the HD DVD Software Cat.
post #299 of 1560 Old 09-05-2007, 08:41 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 13
Wow - I've attempted to discuss this twice in other threads, but it has been "nailed", I'm assuming because of it's speculative nature. So I feel maybe it is best suited for this rumour thread:

I started a thread yesterday on a different subject that also spoke of this, but it was deleted after BD assaults. If this thread suffers from poor post etiquette, I ask that it not be deleted, but merely locked, as the subject matter and discussion are very relevant.

The strategy of the BDA and Sony in recent weeks leading up to this year's holiday season, may well be explained by observations from the field.

The first thought of what might be happening, dawned on me as I walked through my local Target this week. Target is definitely not the market for $500 BD players, and is certainly a much better market for $200 HD DVD players.

Note that this is NOT a slur on Target shoppers, so let's skip that sort of talk. It is a realistic assessment of the target market there. In fact, after I asked the counter staff in the A/V section whether they had any Bluray players (to which they said "no") a couple next to me started to talk anout their HD DVD player, which the girlfriend proudly announced he had bought for about $200!

So... on with the discussion (I'll use BDA to represent BD entities, like Sony, etc):

The BDA has made a deal with Target to only carry Bluray players exclusively. Yet I could not buy a Bluray player at Target yesterday, fully a month after they took out the other options. Also - most of us here recognize the truth that there will not be many $500 Bluray players sold at Target this holiday season.

How many of the sales of Bluray and HD DVD are bought by Blockbuster? Because we know that Blockbuster's expansion to 1,700 brick and mortar stores will be Bluray-only, thanks to another "exclusive" deal. I say "Deal", because it was announced by Blockbuster's VP of Merchandising, which CLEARLY indicates that a merchandising deal was bought from Blockbuster.

So if 1,700 Blockbuster stores are buying new Bluray releases every week, how many discs does that add to the weekly Nielsen sales numbers? A lot, I'd be willing to guess.

Then we hear of similar BD-Exclsuive deals with Woolworth's - another retail outlet more likely to have sales favouring HD DVD.

Now, we also have a thread showing field observations that Frye's electronics may ALSO have done a deal with Bluray, since, although no announcement has been made, they have quietly taken down all their HD DVD discs in multiple locations and replaced them with - of ALL things - UMD discs! a failed format! No store in their right mind would stock these after almost all studios have cancelled further releases on them, unless they got PAID to.

Other apparent deals are being indicated and rumoured.

Yet, they all seem to target distribution chains that would normally favour cheaper equipment (like HD DVD) over more expensive gear (like Bluray).

So, the obvious questions that have to be asked are:

(1) "Is Sony and the BDA's current strategy to fight HD DVD's cheaper entry price by trying to block as many of their natural distribution channels as possible and eliminate their sales during a period when Bluray cannot match the prices?"

(2) "Are these deals to block retail channles favourable to HD DVD being 'disguised' as merchandising programs for Bluray - even in chains that wouldn't normally be a natural fit, such as Target - or for UMD?"

Please give your thoughts.

Also, if anyone can think of any other BD-exclsuive deals like the one's above, please add them below in your post...
post #300 of 1560 Old 09-05-2007, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

I have actually heard a bit of chatter from contacts that Disney may go format neutral in Qtr 4, 2007. We will see what pans out.

~Josh

hidefpreview
Closed Thread HDTV Software Media Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page