AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

Rdjam and others:

we should not let this thread turn into a 'guess the rumor thread': that was not the intent

Thank you

hear, hear! Either post it, or don't say anything at all!

-Josh Murrah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1560 Old 09-08-2007, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg100 View Post

On the insiders thread Paid confirmed that the chart was based on cost of units, not number of units. Paid took a beating on that one and left AVS soon after.

Now I can not believe anything that comes out of the blue camp, this goes well beyond putting a spin on things. I was pretty neutral up to now but they just crossed the line with me.
post #453 of 1560 Old 09-08-2007, 07:23 AM

Quote:

On the insiders thread Paid confirmed that the chart was based on cost of units, not number of units. Paid took a beating on that one and left AVS soon after.

There are two charts out there. One from IFA based on revenue (63% Blu-ray) and one from CEDIA based on units (55% Blu-ray).
post #454 of 1560 Old 09-08-2007, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjam View Post

I think it's pretty obvious that it means that he hasn't heard anything out of CEDIA worth touting yet, and is simply hoping that something juicy might come up by the end of the show on Sunday...

BY THE WAY - your trusty rdjam *HAS* most definitely got some HUGE information to disclose....

I have had a VERY rewarding day at CEDIA today, filled with loveluy surprises!

I will be posting some of these over the next couple of days - hopefully that will give Bill something to talk about on Monday!

I can't post the BIG one just yet - stay tuned over the weekend - some fellow AVS-ers who were with me today KNOW what I am talking about (giggle) - I suppose someone else may post it first, but I don't want to blurt it out yet

However - I CAN post one little tidbit - The Denon player will NOT ship this year - despite Talkstr8t's (mis?)information to the contrary. In conversations today they stated it will be out next year. I've got an inside line on the issues, but can't get too detailed. Suffice it to say for now: "I would suspect that the task of developing that BD player platform significantly exceeded Denon's expectations - and budget - and I believe that they are currently re-evaluating their options on how best to bring the future hi def player(s) to market."

I hope that my wording is not misunderstood.

I will have much more info on the BIG stuff shortly - and I don't mean BIG in a bb77 kind of way - this is REALLY big...

Damn you, rdjam, damn you!!

AND thank you!
post #455 of 1560 Old 09-08-2007, 07:31 AM

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunddal View Post

There are two charts out there. One from IFA based on revenue (63% Blu-ray) and one from CEDIA based on units (55% Blu-ray).

Ahhhh . . . you forgot to mention that one of the charts stopped in May 2007. Wonder why?
post #456 of 1560 Old 09-08-2007, 07:38 AM
RUR
Innocent Bystander

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjam View Post

However - I CAN post one little tidbit - The Denon player will NOT ship this year - despite Talkstr8t's (mis?)information to the contrary. In conversations today they stated it will be out next year. I've got an inside line on the issues, but can't get too detailed. Suffice it to say for now: "I would suspect that the task of developing that BD player platform significantly exceeded Denon's expectations - and budget - and I believe that they are currently re-evaluating their options on how best to bring the future hi def player(s) to market."

Don't know how Talk's statements can be characterized as mis-information when Denon told Consumer Electronics Daily just four days ago:

"Denon remains on track to ship its DVD-3800BDCI Blu-ray player this fall in the U.S., a spokeswoman told Consumer Electronics Daily Tuesday. Reports of a postponement circulated after Denon U.K. pushed back its launch to next year's second quarter. The $1,999 player is Denon's first Blu-ray product, and also scheduled to be the format's first Profile 1.1 model, with dual video decoders for picture-in-picture playback. That function becomes mandatory in Blu-ray players introduced after Oct. 31. -- SAB"
post #457 of 1560 Old 09-08-2007, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

Ahhhh . . . you forgot to mention that one of the charts stopped in May 2007.

No, I didn't forget since my intention was to tell that we're discussing two different charts without everyone knowing it.
post #458 of 1560 Old 09-08-2007, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkozma View Post

Lee: Go to warner's site. There's no release dates, but the movies are up...

I doubt that WB will release most if any of them unless BDA have the properly working profile in place.
post #459 of 1560 Old 09-08-2007, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

The profiles will be in place by Nov. But many of these titles will probably be released without those type of advanced features. I wonder if Warner was holding back to keep the pressure on the BDA CE cos to make sure FSP players get out on time. So far the details of the one HP movie have it listed w/o PiP on BD.

Hal
post #460 of 1560 Old 09-08-2007, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma View Post

The profiles will be in place by Nov. But many of these titles will probably be released without those type of advanced features. I wonder if Warner was holding back to keep the pressure on the BDA CE cos to make sure FSP players get out on time. So far the details of the one HP movie have it listed w/o PiP on BD.

The profiles have "been in place" for 2 years now. It is the hardware that is late. You keep hinting about Nov. Come on Hal - spit it out. What is coming in Nov?
post #461 of 1560 Old 09-08-2007, 09:05 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

Thank you for the clarification. Does the chart that shows 55% include the PS3 and 360 add on? Also is this the chart that ended in May?
post #462 of 1560 Old 09-08-2007, 09:12 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rx-8 View Post

Now I can not believe anything that comes out of the blue camp, this goes well beyond putting a spin on things. I was pretty neutral up to now but they just crossed the line with me.

What are you talking about? You are way off base. I do not own either format, but if I was to buy today I would buy HD DVD not BD. I have been waiting for DTS HD MA. Paid did leave soon after the chart issue. I do not think the chart is what made him leave. I think it was a little of everything such as: yield rates, profiles and the chart. The water was getting hot for him and I think he was tired of constantly having to defend BD.
post #463 of 1560 Old 09-08-2007, 09:47 AM

Quote:

The HP HD DVD disc will also have internet content, Now could It be that Warners wants the 2.0 profile aswell, so they can have the full enhanced version on BD as well?
Will these BD-J 1.1 players all be upgradable to 2.0?

Honestly I think the BD-J is going to cause a big mess with consumers especially when you think that any low priced standalone BD player's out now will never be able to play the future BD-J profiles.

Also these 2 newly anounced Sony standalones coming out... I mean is it really true they aren't even BD-J 1.1 compliant?
post #464 of 1560 Old 09-08-2007, 09:51 AM

If anyone has any doubts about how important this profile issue is - just look at the second slide in the HD DVD PG's IFA presentation:

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=65757
post #465 of 1560 Old 09-08-2007, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1080please View Post

The HP HD DVD disc will also have internet content, Now could It be that Warners wants the 2.0 profile aswell, so they can have the full enhanced version on BD as well?
Will these BD-J 1.1 players all be upgradable to 2.0?

Honestly I think the BD-J is going to cause a big mess with consumers especially when you think that any low priced standalone BD player's out now will never be able to play the future BD-J profiles.

Also these 2 newly anounced Sony standalones coming out... I mean is it really true they aren't even BD-J 1.1 compliant?

It's not BD-J 1.1 - just Profile 1.1, and BD-Live (2.0) is optional.
post #466 of 1560 Old 09-08-2007, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If anyone has any doubts about how important this profile issue is - just look at the second slide in the HD DVD PG's IFA presentation:

Yes, I think I see your point... What - they are protecting the image @ DVD Times?

RDJAM - You know, you MUST PM me with the rumor - I can keep a secret, and cannot wait until next week.
post #467 of 1560 Old 09-08-2007, 09:59 AM

Quote:

Oh, the slide were they reveal that they don't even know what BD profiles are?

Every player supports BD-Java - it's mandatory.
post #468 of 1560 Old 09-08-2007, 10:12 AM

Quote:

Lee thanks for the link.I must say i had very good laugh at this part:

16:31: he mentions that he stopped by the BDA booth here at IFA, and picked up a brochure. "I had fun with it, it says 'we're the best, etc'". He mentions that the brochure mentioned that BD had great interactivity, but he mentions that it also had a footnote that said "Product-dependant feature". He talks about how HD DVD has Interactivity as standard in every player.
post #469 of 1560 Old 09-08-2007, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, looks like that's the one.

There is no evidence that FSP deadline has been post-poned. But because the HD DVD PRG puts a "fact" that "BD-J has been delayed into maybe 2008?" (paraphrased). I'd be kind of embarrassed putting up a slide with such mis-information and un-substantiated rumors. I guess all's fair in love & war, huh?

Hal
post #470 of 1560 Old 09-08-2007, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Considering it's there for Advanced Content and that's certainly not available in any player to date, I have no problem with that slide whatsoever.

Pierre

"...I probably won't even be allowed in your little man room anyway!"

"It's a man cave!"
post #471 of 1560 Old 09-08-2007, 10:16 AM

Quote:

There is no evidence that FSP deadline has been post-poned. But because the HD DVD PRG puts a "fact" that "BD-J has been delayed into maybe 2008?" (paraphrased). I'd be kind of embarrassed putting up a slide with such mis-information and un-substantiated rumors. I guess all's fair in love & war, huh?

YOU GOT IT!

Like the slide Sony put up on 9/6 that ends 5.15 or the fact that they used revenue for one of the comparisons as opposed to units.

ANYONE who goes to one of these presentations BETTER wear hip-waders - the BS from both sides can be measured in feet not inches!
post #472 of 1560 Old 09-08-2007, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Did I miss an announcement of BD software containing Advanced Content in 2007 somewhere? Link?

Pierre

"It's a man cave!"
post #473 of 1560 Old 09-08-2007, 10:18 AM
RUR
Innocent Bystander

I missed it. Which slide, Lee?
post #474 of 1560 Old 09-08-2007, 10:20 AM

post #475 of 1560 Old 09-08-2007, 10:21 AM
RUR
Innocent Bystander

Sorry, Lee, I was asking about this:
Quote:

Like the slide Sony put up on 9/6 that ends 5.15

post #476 of 1560 Old 09-08-2007, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrebnh View Post

Did I miss an announcement of BD software containing Advanced Content in 2007 somewhere? Link?

I guessed you missed this.

Hal
post #477 of 1560 Old 09-08-2007, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUR View Post

Sorry, Lee, I was asking about this:

Use your ZOOM and blow it up to 400% to see dates at bottom
post #478 of 1560 Old 09-08-2007, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I guessed you missed this.

Thanks, is that it? Will there be players capable of playing those on store shelves at that time, or is a firmware upgrade included with the discs?

Oops, realized the discs would have to come with a second video decoder, installation tools and documentation as well...probably unlikely. I guess we'll just have to hope there are capable players available by then.

Pierre

"It's a man cave!"
post #479 of 1560 Old 09-08-2007, 10:36 AM

Quote:

Link?
post #480 of 1560 Old 09-08-2007, 10:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUR View Post

Don't know how Talk's statements can be characterized as mis-information when Denon told Consumer Electronics Daily just four days ago:

"Denon remains on track to ship its DVD-3800BDCI Blu-ray player this fall in the U.S., a spokeswoman told Consumer Electronics Daily Tuesday. Reports of a postponement circulated after Denon U.K. pushed back its launch to next year’s second quarter. The $1,999 player is Denon’s first Blu-ray product, and also scheduled to be the format’s first Profile 1.1 model, with dual video decoders for picture-in-picture playback. That function becomes mandatory in Blu-ray players introduced after Oct. 31. -- SAB"

I haven't seen that - can you provide a link?

This info came directly from a Denon exec on the show floor yesterday.

His exact words were that they would now be trying to land the player in Q1 '08.

There have been many times when a "spokesman" conflicts with admissions in private - I believe that the date quietly sipping till next year is the likely outcome.
Closed Thread HDTV Software Media Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page