HDM Rumor thread! Put all rumors here. - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 1560 Old 09-10-2007, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Capacity won't help in adding more lossless tracks; it's the mux bitrate ceiling of 30.24Mbps that's the limiting factor here.

Please, feel free to call me by my first name, Petri.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1560 Old 09-10-2007, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjam View Post

Agreed - I'm ready for some sleep!

I had a bacon caesar burger at the Paramount Grill

You know, I thought the name of that restaurant had a familiar R ing to it - but do you mean the Paramount Cafe, on the 16th street Mall? I used to go there all the time. Actually, I prefer their Bleu Burger, but L ord, I just bring myself to say that name anymore.
post #633 of 1560 Old 09-10-2007, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pteittinen View Post

Capacity won't help in adding more lossless tracks; it's the mux bitrate ceiling of 30.24Mbps that's the limiting factor here.

Thanks for the info.
post #634 of 1560 Old 09-10-2007, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

From today's ArsTechnica:

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thum...s-future-plans

A source that has proven reliable on past rumors claims that Sony will announce a $400 40GB PS3 bundle with Spiderman 3 Blu-ray movie for Christmas.
post #635 of 1560 Old 09-10-2007, 10:06 AM

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innerloop View Post

A source that has proven reliable on past rumors claims that Sony will announce a $400 40GB PS3 bundle with Spiderman 3 Blu-ray movie for Christmas.

Great - now they are only 2X the price of the lowest HD DVD player

So what happened to the rumored 120 GB PS3? And what about BD-Live and Sony's intention to offer movie DNL's? They seem to be going backwards in the storage department.
post #636 of 1560 Old 09-10-2007, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Extremely weird. Why phase out a 60 GB version and replace it with a 40 GB one? My bet is the 60 GB drive costs Sony about 2 dollars more.
post #637 of 1560 Old 09-10-2007, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdog View Post

Extremely weird. Why phase out a 60 GB version and replace it with a 40 GB one? My bet is the 60 GB drive costs Sony about 2 dollars more.

And what happened to the current 80GB PS3?

Going into Q4 they will sell a 40GB and an 80GB? Well that is an improvement over last Xmas when they sold a 20GB and a 60GB. But how many 20GB's were offered for sale versus the 60 GB?

What about the issue of saturation of PS3's in relationship to those who want them?
post #638 of 1560 Old 09-10-2007, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

Great - now they are only 2X the price of the lowest HD DVD player

So what happened to the rumored 120 GB PS3? And what about BD-Live and Sony's intention to offer movie DNL's? They seem to be going backwards in the storage department.

The $499 60GB sold like hotcakes.... the $399 will do just as well. Also... this puts them dead even on price with HD-DVD for 1080p capable machines.
post #639 of 1560 Old 09-10-2007, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by galperi1 View Post

The $499 60GB sold like hotcakes.... the $399 will do just as well. Also... this puts them dead even on price with HD-DVD for 1080p capable machines.

Panasonic and Samsung have to be POed at this if it happens. Once again, why the heck would you buy a BR stand-alone with Sony under cutting them by so much?
post #640 of 1560 Old 09-10-2007, 10:27 AM

^^^ Because people don't want that ugly, loud as a vacuum cleaner rounded blob in their entertainment centers.

- Keith
post #641 of 1560 Old 09-10-2007, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galperi1 View Post

Better look again - it puts them "dead even" with the Xbox 360 - the competitor of the PS3.

And we both know again that Sony will not discount the PS3 while the A30 will not only drop in price but will be offered at a large discount to retain price advantage - the one thing that Toshiba has sworn to do against BD.
post #642 of 1560 Old 09-10-2007, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

A MS exec publicly predicted this move from their competitor at least a couple of months ago. Be interesting to see what response they have in mind because that's a pretty nice move by Sony and MS has been loathe to lose money on their gaming division this generation.

They've given back major market share, esp to Nintendo, in order to maintain a profitability. Are they willing to sink back to 3rd place in Marketshare to keep the division profitable?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Insider thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
? R.I.P.
Nothing will ever be attempted if all possible objections must first be overcome.
Samuel Johnson 1709-1784, British Author
post #643 of 1560 Old 09-10-2007, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I think this will happen. According to sales data from VGChartz.com, the PS3 only has a 15% (and declining) US market share in next-gen video game consoles. Sony practically bet the whole farm on PS3, so I imagine they will do everything they can to keep it from failing.
post #644 of 1560 Old 09-10-2007, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Still doesnt solve the lack of games problem for the platform. And will this be US only or in all ps3 markets?
post #645 of 1560 Old 09-10-2007, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodshed View Post

From everything I have read, TL51 does not increase bandwidth. If it did, and HD DVD took audio more seriously, I would be on board in an instant.

Where have you read anything on this that addressed bandwidth?

Everything thus far in print/online has been silent on the subject it seems.

The rest has been from discussions at the show that some folks here had.

-Steve
post #646 of 1560 Old 09-10-2007, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaesare View Post

Where have you read anything on this that addressed bandwidth?

Everything thus far in print/online has been silent on the subject it seems.

The rest has been from discussions at the show that some folks here had.

It has been referred to by many of these people with "inside" info. Evidently increased bandwidth was the primary problem with older player compatibility.

I have no idea about these discs, only what people here are saying.
post #647 of 1560 Old 09-10-2007, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by efjay View Post

Still doesnt solve the lack of games problem for the platform. And will this be US only or in all ps3 markets?

That's probably why they're bundling it with a movie. They've given up trying to pretend it's a gaming console.
post #648 of 1560 Old 09-10-2007, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahlsim View Post

A MS exec publicly predicted this move from their competitor at least a couple of months ago. Be interesting to see what response they have in mind because that's a pretty nice move by Sony and MS has been loathe to lose money on their gaming division this generation.

They've given back major market share, esp to Nintendo, in order to maintain a profitability. Are they willing to sink back to 3rd place in Marketshare to keep the division profitable?

My money is on a new Xbox360 with an in built HD DVD drive.
post #649 of 1560 Old 09-10-2007, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I heard that Sony was originally going to package a PS3 game with it, but their research found that nobody wanted one. Research showed people's first chioce was Wii Sports.
post #650 of 1560 Old 09-10-2007, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bloggs View Post

Was the deal Sony made with Target for Target to carry Blu-ray players exclusively. Does the law allow a company to make a deal to exclude a competitors products from their store?

IANAL, but I know of no reason why a retailer can't agree to exclusively carry a vendor's product in exchange for promotional consideration. The only time I can see this might not be OK would be for a legally-defined monopoly (i.e. Microsoft might not legally be allowed to do deals for Windows exclusivity).

Blu-ray Insider
Speaking solely for myself, not the BDA
post #651 of 1560 Old 09-10-2007, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjam View Post

Panasonic is paying for it - Disney doesn't appear to have invested a cent into it.

RDJam, once again you don't disappoint in incorrectly twisting information to put Blu-ray in a negative light. Panasonic is the equipment sponsor; they paid to have their equipment featured. I was present in discussions involving this; I can assure you Disney is spending the vast majority of the millions it is costing to run this tour. Panasonic's contribution only helps to offset this.

Blu-ray Insider
Speaking solely for myself, not the BDA
post #652 of 1560 Old 09-10-2007, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkstr8t View Post

RDJam, once again you don't disappoint in incorrectly twisting information to put Blu-ray in a negative light. Panasonic is the equipment sponsor; they paid to have their equipment featured. I was present in discussions involving this; I can assure you Disney is spending the vast majority of the millions it is costing to run this tour. Panasonic's contribution only helps to offset this.

I understand where you coming from, but it would make more sence if Disney were a CE producer. They would have to have something to play the BD movies on right?

ray is the best Blah, blah, blah.
post #653 of 1560 Old 09-10-2007, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

$400 40GB PS3 Could this be a plant to stop current PS3 sales? It may work.
post #654 of 1560 Old 09-10-2007, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

I simply don't want a PS3 as my movie-player, and I'm sure I'm not alone. Will they start requesting CE retailers put them amongst the other home theater hardware? How will other CEM's react if the PS3 cuts into their already sub-fractional slice of the BD pie?

It seems like good $ after bad to me, I still highly doubt the format war is going to be decided by a fairly unpopular game machine.
post #655 of 1560 Old 09-10-2007, 03:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 77
So what's the big Blu announcement that we were told by Beatboy and others we could expect a week from Labor Day?

If I remember correctly Blu had something big big big to be announced a week from Labor Day and the Paramount/DW announcement was done to 'blunt' the impact of the big Blu news.
post #656 of 1560 Old 09-10-2007, 03:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodshed View Post

From everything I have read, TL51 does not increase bandwidth. If it did, and HD DVD took audio more seriously, I would be on board in an instant.

The TL45 spec did include higher bandwidth, and it appears that this carried ove to TL51, but we'll have to see.

Ahh... F1 in full HD 3D with

The

The
post #657 of 1560 Old 09-10-2007, 03:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by CochiseGuy View Post

You know, I thought the name of that restaurant had a familiar R ing to it - but do you mean the Paramount Cafe, on the 16th street Mall? I used to go there all the time. Actually, I prefer their Bleu Burger, but L ord, I just bring myself to say that name anymore.

Yes the Paramount Cafe! I saw the name again the next day and realized I had posted it wrong.

Sorry, I didn't see the Bleu Burger on their menu - they must have dropped it

The

The
post #658 of 1560 Old 09-10-2007, 03:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

RDJam, once again you don't disappoint in incorrectly twisting information to put Blu-ray in a negative light.

You give RDJam way too much credit. Sony and company are doing just fine in that regard without RDJam's help.
post #659 of 1560 Old 09-10-2007, 03:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Sorry talk - I don't believe you unless you post proof, as you have posted opinion as fact too often.

When the Superbowl Half Time Party is sponsored by Michelob, it means it's paid for by Michelob. It means the same thing in almost every application of the term and I think you are just posting the above in the belief that everyone will just believe you because you say so.

But I don't - and that's my opinion based on your posting for the last couple of months.

But that's ONE issue - the second is Why do you think that Panasonic sponsoring the tour reflects Disney in a negative light???

It doesn't... that's the simple answer. But I feel it reflects a negative light on your claim that Disnye "is investing millions of dollars" in this tour, when it is patently untrue...

How is it we are supposed to believe you were in these meetings, when you say in previous posts that you have no knowledge of BDA activities. Is this in your capacity with Sun microsystems either?

The only way your claim to be present in meetings planning this tour could be true were if your real role is in Public Relations - then suddenly everything would make sense...

Note that this is not a personal attack (see your post above for one of those), but merely a conscious attempt to understand your statement that you were personally involved in planning this...

The

The
post #660 of 1560 Old 09-10-2007, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YONEXSP View Post

My money is on a new Xbox360 with an in built HD DVD drive.

Yeppers, bundled with a hd movie and game. Probably be some fancy name like Xbox 360HD.
Closed Thread HDTV Software Media Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page