Industry Insiders Master Q&A thread IV: ONLY Questions to Insiders - Page 103 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-24-2007, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Pennell View Post

I would be surprised too as the performance would suck, this is a CE player, not a PS3 so it has an order of magnitude less Java horsepower.

In fact, I'm told by a provider of BD-J implementations that the Broadcom chipset found in the Samsung player has BD-J performance very similar to that of the PS3. Nonetheless, I agree that it's unlikely the "HDi" implementation (what's the correct non-trademarked term for this?!?) is written in Java.

Blu-ray Insider
Speaking solely for myself, not the BDA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2007, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkstr8t View Post

I'd be surprised if the PS3 gains any native iPod capabilities, given that Sony and Apple are natural rivals in the media player market. I'd expect the PS3's media playback capabilities (i.e. playlist options) to continue to be enhanced through future firmware updates, however.

Of course, Microsoft and Apple are also rivals in that arena, but curiously the 360 does have some iPod interoperability (for non-DRMed music files, anyway).

I'd like to see the PS3 add this as well, although they are continuing to make strides as a media center with Divx and WMV playback in the newest firmware.
Old 12-24-2007, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

I'm told by a Sony contact (not in the Playstation group) that it's likely the current hardware design doesn't support bitstream output.

Just to follow up, are they working on decoding the DTS HD-MA track in the PS3 and passing it out via LPCM?
Old 12-24-2007, 06:17 PM

To HD DVD insiders:

I was wondering if it would be possible to create HD DVD discs that would let consumers that try to play them in regular DVD players, know that this disc is actually intended for a different type of player?

Having the player just refuse to play the disc isn't particularly user friendly, so I was thinking of something like displaying an image that says "We're sorry, but you need an HD DVD-player to watch this disc". (Or, in the case of combo discs, the image could say "please flip me over to play")

Would something like this require a twin-disc with a full DVD-layer? Or could it be possible to create a layer that is a DVD at the innermost tracks, and an HD DVD on the outermost? BTW: Does HD DVD use RSDL like DVD? If so, I was thinking that this could be done by letting the player think it's a regular twin disc at first. It would then start reading the HD DVD content from layer two, and read it from the center to the rim. When it reaches the rim, it could switch back to layer one and read from the rim towards the center.
Old 12-24-2007, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakesh.S View Post

Just to follow up, are they working on decoding the DTS HD-MA track in the PS3 and passing it out via LPCM?

I wouldn't be surprised to see it in an upcoming firmware update.

Blu-ray Insider
Speaking solely for myself, not the BDA
Old 12-24-2007, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDover View Post

i appreciate your attempt to explain my earlier question, however, i do not see that paper as stating there is a separate 2-ch downmix already on disc thereby not requiring decoding of the multi-channel presentation.

roger dressler, could you please clarify...

TIA

Sorry the paper is a little unclear, but the section on DD+ has Fig 1 which shows how TrueHD carries the substreams, one of them being the 2-ch mix.

Deadwood Atmos theater
AV7702 Atmos 7.4.4, SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4
Aerial Acoustics 7B/CC3B fronts, B&W CWM8180 surrounds, Tannoy Di6 DC heights, Hsu ULS-15 subs
Old 12-24-2007, 09:17 PM

Amir and all your colleges and all the Blu-ray people, the very best this Holiday Season and to all your families.

This past year has proved that this is the most Pointless Format War ever...! I am RED. At the beginning I loved the White Paper of Blu-ray. Then Bill Gates said " For $199 start watching High Def Movies now", and that was a year ago November. But now no one wants to see the investment they made in one format dissolve.

And I think all of us can cry foul about that.

jack

As for 2008...Bette Davis said it best: "Fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy night"!

"I believe in censorship. After all, I made a fortune out of it." -Mae West
Old 12-24-2007, 09:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked: 547
Thanks Jack. The same to you and the rest of the members.

Amir
Retired Technology Insider
Founder, Madrona Digital
"Insist on Quality Engineering"
Old 12-24-2007, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trondmm View Post

To HD DVD insiders:

I was wondering if it would be possible to create HD DVD discs that would let consumers that try to play them in regular DVD players, know that this disc is actually intended for a different type of player?

Having the player just refuse to play the disc isn't particularly user friendly, so I was thinking of something like displaying an image that says "We're sorry, but you need an HD DVD-player to watch this disc". (Or, in the case of combo discs, the image could say "please flip me over to play")

Would something like this require a twin-disc with a full DVD-layer? Or could it be possible to create a layer that is a DVD at the innermost tracks, and an HD DVD on the outermost? BTW: Does HD DVD use RSDL like DVD? If so, I was thinking that this could be done by letting the player think it's a regular twin disc at first. It would then start reading the HD DVD content from layer two, and read it from the center to the rim. When it reaches the rim, it could switch back to layer one and read from the rim towards the center.

If I understand you correctly this can be done today, at a "waste" of 9G of a DVD layer. Take a one-sided Combo disc (e.g. Freedom) with the DVD layer saying just "turn me over". Reminds me of the other side of the last disc in some laserdisc sets, it had a cute little icon that said the same thing.

HD DVD Veteran
Old 12-24-2007, 09:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Merry Christmas to both the Red and Blu insiders on this forum. Don't either of the camps go away. Your information is always helpful.

Chad Billheimer rocks as a ISF Calibrator for Ohio.
Roller Coaster season is upon us. Proud member of American Coaster Enthusiasts (ACE) Woodies Rule!
Old 12-24-2007, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

Sorry the paper is a little unclear, but the section on DD+ has Fig 1 which shows how TrueHD carries the substreams, one of them being the 2-ch mix.

thanks roger...so on hd dvd, there is no standard dd core that can be decoded by a standard dd decoder?
Old 12-25-2007, 01:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by romper View Post

Amir and all your colleges and all the Blu-ray people, the very best this Holiday Season and to all your families.

As for 2008...Bette Davis said it best: "Fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy night"!

I second what Jack said here.

Thanks amir!! and here wishing you and your family and all other insiders a happy holiday & a prosperous New Year.

I've learned much from reading your posts in this thread.
Old 12-25-2007, 03:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDover View Post

thanks roger...so on hd dvd, there is no standard dd core that can be decoded by a standard dd decoder?

If the HD DVD has DD+, the DD+ decoder can convert it on the fly to DD, unless the audio has first been decoded. So the result in this case is the same as if the disc carried a DD stream.

Deadwood Atmos theater
Aerial Acoustics 7B/CC3B fronts, B&W CWM8180 surrounds, Tannoy Di6 DC heights, Hsu ULS-15 subs
Old 12-25-2007, 04:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

If the HD DVD has DD+, the DD+ decoder can convert it on the fly to DD, unless the audio has first been decoded. So the result in this case is the same as if the disc carried a DD stream.

Can you have a HD DVD with only a TrueHD track and no DD or DD+ track? Would this then have a hidden DD track in the TrueHD just like Blu-Ray has?

Brian

Old 12-25-2007, 04:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Roger

Ive read reports hear that the Samsung couldnt "decode" 5.1 TrueHD to 2.0

Is that really possible?
Old 12-25-2007, 06:21 AM

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Pennell View Post

If I understand you correctly this can be done today, at a "waste" of 9G of a DVD layer. Take a one-sided Combo disc (e.g. Freedom) with the DVD layer saying just "turn me over". Reminds me of the other side of the last disc in some laserdisc sets, it had a cute little icon that said the same thing.

The upside down turtle!

Long live Videoscope!

Happy Holidays to ALL the Insiders.
Old 12-25-2007, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and Happy New Year to ALL Insider's and Forum Members Alike! I wish you all a Safe, Wonderful, and Happy Season!
Old 12-25-2007, 11:46 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
REMINDER
Insiders please stick to questions and answers related to your association only.
I cannot keep repeating this.
Thread cleaned up.

Thank you!
Old 12-25-2007, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Amir,

Any relation to your new endevour? If you can say ...

Microsoft combines IPTV, HD DVD, and Media Center Divisions
http://www.news.com/8301-13860_3-9837302-56.html
Old 12-25-2007, 12:00 PM

Quote:

I'm told by a Sony contact (not in the Playstation group) that it's likely the current hardware design doesn't support bitstream output.

Talk thanks for clarifying this from Sony's end. A Silicon Images engineer that has working knowledge of the chipset used in the PS3 has already confirmed that SiL9132 HDMI transmitter does not support bitstream of TrueHD or DTS HD MA--it is a hardware limitation. This confirmation from Sony, as well as confirmation that even the newest 40GB players are still using the SiL9132 pretty much makes it crystal clear, the only thing we can hope for is DTS HD MA decoding on the PS3 correct?
Old 12-25-2007, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdg345 View Post

Amir,

Any relation to your new endevour? If you can say ...

Microsoft combines IPTV, HD DVD, and Media Center Divisions
http://www.news.com/8301-13860_3-9837302-56.html

Quote:

"Microsoft believes that HD DVD offers the best overall quality and value for consumers and is the best next-generation DVD format for the industry," Jordi Ribas, general manager of the HD DVD Group at Microsoft, said in a statement. "We have made major technology investments in HD DVD, from our HDi interactive layer to our VC-1 video codec, and have more than 100 staff at Microsoft dedicated to the success of HD DVD."

Amir any chance you will be heading up this newly created group?

It seems to me that this is a natural progression in the stalemate of this war, Microsoft seems to be the only company best positioned to leverage the work it's done with VC-1 and HDi to accelerate online distribution in the connected home market.
Old 12-25-2007, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by salacious View Post

Can you have a HD DVD with only a TrueHD track and no DD or DD+ track?

Yes.

Quote:

Would this then have a hidden DD track in the TrueHD just like Blu-Ray has?
Brian

No. In BD, TrueHD is optional, so there has to be a mandatory audio track provided.

Deadwood Atmos theater
Old 12-25-2007, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede View Post

Roger

Ive read reports hear that the Samsung couldnt "decode" 5.1 TrueHD to 2.0

Is that really possible?

Well, we can narrow the issue a little. A player that has only 2-ch decoding capability never has to deal with the full 5.1 channels, only the 2-ch substream, which always exists.

Is it possible that some players don't decode audio properly? I guess that's a possibility, but I cannot verify the report.

Deadwood Atmos theater
Old 12-25-2007, 03:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Haghighi View Post

Amir any chance you will be heading up this newly created group?

No, that job is taken by Enrique Rodriguez . As the article implies, this is not new news but direct consequence of the changes that I talked about a couple of months related to my own position.

I hope to be able to share more tidbits about my future soon although you are likely to see that drible out than all together.

Quote:
It seems to me that this is a natural progression in the stalemate of this war, Microsoft seems to be the only company best positioned to leverage the work it's done with VC-1 and HDi to accelerate online distribution in the connected home market.

I think most companies in this space have multiple bets if you will. Take Panasonic. We surely know that they are betting on displays in addition to blu-ray. Sharp is in the same boat. Toshiba has semiconductors, storage and other businesses like that. You could say the same thing about Sony although they have put their bets closer together than any other company. Every big company in this space needs to position itself this way as to avoid all the eggs in one basket.

Can the technologies have synergies? I think everyone hopes that way. I am sure companies investing in HD DVD/BD hope that it drives sales of displays. Again, no different for us.

Amir
Retired Technology Insider
Founder, Madrona Digital
"Insist on Quality Engineering"
Old 12-25-2007, 03:23 PM
vsv
Advanced Member

Any news about december's firmware update for HD DVD players to support 25p/50p content on disc ?

SOURCE: From December, all HD players will be able to replay 50p.
Old 12-26-2007, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsv View Post

Any news about december's firmware update for HD DVD players to support 25p/50p content on disc ?

I would like to know this too. Will this be 50p at full resolution? And will this update be for USA players too (as otherwise HD-DVDs won't always work across all countries). Also, will this be something that cannot be done on Blu-ray?
Old 12-26-2007, 08:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsv View Post

I to would be very interested if this means the ability to really play material mastered in 1080p/50 (or 60?). There is probably practically nothing available in that format right now but it would be easy to imagine new versions of things like the Planet Earth set or sporting event collections starting to arrive if this was really possible. Is it?

- Tom

Why don't we power our electric cars from greener, cheaper Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactors?

Tom Barry - Find my video filters at www.trbarry.com
Old 12-26-2007, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

No. In BD, TrueHD is optional, so there has to be a mandatory audio track provided.

Thanks Roger. When people claim that TrueHD has a hidden DD track on Blu-Ray is this them just mis-understanding the mandatory/optional audio codecs or is it packaging error?

Old 12-26-2007, 12:37 PM
vsv
Advanced Member

Tom, Joe
I think only 720p50 and 1080p25 with this update, because 1080p50/60 impossible (?) with existing hardware and nothing about this in HD DVD specification. But i've seen Sonic docs about possibility to to author primary and secondary streams at 1080p25/23,976/29,97 (dual full HD is good for 3D )...
Old 12-26-2007, 02:32 PM
Advanced Member

To all insiders:
What is your personal opinion regarding the affect of BOGO's on the HDM market as a whole, let alone the "war"?

As an early adopter, I am getting huge benefits from the BOGO's, yet some people are already saying that they will NEVER purchase a movie for more than $19-20 dollars.

It seems like the BOGO's have had just as negative an effect on future prices as if the studios had actually lowered MSRP(which is what they were trying to prevent).

If we do get a "winner" and there is only one HDM format, do you think the studios will be able to drive prices up to current MSRP levels? Do you think there would be a significant backlash?

HD DVD:38
BR: 51+ 23 from the WB Red2Blu promo