Industry Insiders Master Q&A thread IV: ONLY Questions to Insiders - Page 157 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #4681 of 4687 Old 01-20-2008, 10:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post

That's a pretty clever suggestion. I don't think the studios will go for it. But it is very clever nevertheless .

Thanks Amirm A little initial financial support might be helpful in convincing studios to try this out for a few titles. Just curious, what barriers or hesitations do you think studios might have against this idea?

"never give in, never give in, never, never, never, neverÂin nothing, great or small, large or pettyÂnever give in except to convictions of honour and good sense." - W. Churchill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4682 of 4687 Old 01-21-2008, 03:21 AM
Advanced Member

To any insider (HD DVD or Blu-Ray): the following questions may sound naive, but I would be grateful to anyone who answers them. Please, also bear in mind that I am
format neutral and love both HD DVD and BD. So, don't flame me!

1. Is there any new contract which binds Warner to Blu-Ray? If yes, between Warner and what corporations?

2. Is there somewhere, in all the contracts which bind a studio to a given format, a
set of clauses which make the contracts void if the format ends up being unable to deliver certain features at certain dates (for example, easy manufacturing of BDs with PIP)?
post #4683 of 4687 Old 01-21-2008, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 98
To any insider. Does an entire layer have to be used exclusively for HD DVD or DVD on a twin disc? Could the first 1 and 2/3 layers be used for HD DVD (25 gb) and the last 5 gb for DVD? Seems like a waste of the potential of the second layer just to use it all for DVD.

Thanks,

Grant
post #4684 of 4687 Old 01-21-2008, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 55
When playing back high def media, how much better would content appear with an LCD HDTV with LED backlighting? How many LED backlights would there be in an average 1920x1080 HDTV? Would an LCD TV with LED backlights improve the black levels and contrast levels of a TV that was displaying a starfield with thousands of bright tiny stars against a totally black background, and if so, by how much?

For such displays, would it be a lot better if HDM was stored with >8 bit colour depth?
post #4685 of 4687 Old 01-21-2008, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahlsim View Post

... Was it not possible to encode hd dvd releases with a smaller footprint, such as 720p VC-1 and still remain within hd dvd spec?

Yes, and an interesting idea, but 99+% of consumers wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a 720p product and a 1080p product on todays screens at normal viewing distances. Also, I think having two SKUs on the shelf would cause consumer confusion, especially if there were price differences. If they just did a really well-encoded 720p SKU, called it HD and didn't tell anyone, most people (except perhaps those on this list) wouldn't know the difference.

Tom McMahon
Technologist
DelRey
Former Co-Chair of H.264/AVC Hi Profiles
post #4686 of 4687 Old 01-21-2008, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom McMahon View Post

Also, I think having two SKUs on the shelf would cause consumer confusion, especially if there were price differences.

If they just did a really well-encoded 720p SKU, called it HD and didn't tell anyone, most people (except perhaps those on this list) wouldn't know the difference.

The suggestions about the using the twin disk is more about the possibility that hd dvd could have been published as ONE SKU that plays in every dvd player, high def or standard. More about reducing consumer confusion with one SKU for all players.

So could hd dvd studios pass on a modest savings difference to consumers by introducing HD as a feature addon to standard DVD sold as a standard SKU? Is the cost savings on a TWIN hd dvd replication that close to standard dvd?

Quote:

Yes, and an interesting idea, but 99+% of consumers wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a 720p product and a 1080p product on todays screens at normal viewing distances.

My experience with the 720p content from XBLM vs the many hd dvd and blu-ray disks I own suggest the same thing to me. For 720p vs. 1080p for instance I download 720p trailers from XBLM and 1080p trailers from PSN. The PQ difference is slight even on my 70" JVC lcos or 120" dlp projector.

I'll take the 1080p when available but not much is loss if I go with the 720p.
Is this as bKilian suggests more a marketing issue where 1080p is the industry wide marketing push? A tangible feature like the fact that a fine 720p encode could be added to a standard dvd for complete compatibility with all dvd players then becomes irrelavent?

Family DVD Collection
Insider thread last question? R.I.P.
Nothing will ever be attempted if all possible objections must first be overcome.
Samuel Johnson 1709-1784, British Author
post #4687 of 4687 Old 01-21-2008, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 330
Greetings

I am saddened to tell you that the Insiders thread is going to remain closed as it has outlived its usefulness

We had a great run with the Insiders Threads: Volume I-IV, but all things must come to an end

Thanks to all the members and Insiders who participated here

Well, what more can I say...

Closed Thread HDTV Software Media Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page