Industry Insiders Master Q&A thread IV: ONLY Questions to Insiders - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #91 of 4687 Old 08-30-2007, 11:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinH View Post

Is profile 1.1 not mandatory after October 31st, or does this mean it will be shipping before this date?

Thank you.

My understanding is that this model will ship in October.

Sony Pictures BD Insider
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 4687 Old 08-30-2007, 11:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler358 View Post

Will it be firmware upgradeable to support future profiles?

I do not expect it to be updated to support more advanced profiles.

Sony Pictures BD Insider
post #93 of 4687 Old 08-30-2007, 11:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakashizuma View Post

Paid,
Does sony have any plans to release a Blu-ray player in "ES" product range?
And also, Does Sony have a plan to ship a Blu-ray player with SACD capabilities? (standalone player)

I have limited information about Sony's hardware plans and I am not at liberty to discuss products not already announced.

Sony Pictures BD Insider
post #94 of 4687 Old 08-30-2007, 11:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyng View Post

I found this article to be very interesting. It provides some perspective on where MS plays in this whole format war
http://roughlydrafted.com/RD/TechQ30...D-DVD_War.html

Wow, "roughly drafted" indeed . Just about every other sentence has a mistake in it and I am talking about many of the items that had nothing to do with us. BD starting with MPEG-4? Yeh right .

But did Bill Hunt really say this?

"Bill Hunt of Digital Bits explained to InternetNews that Toshiba was ready to drop HD-DVD and join Blu-ray in 2005 until an unnamed company, which Hunt believes to be Microsoft, pressured the company to stick with HD DVD since so much time and money had been invested in it.

Everything I've been told, Hunt said, is a lot of people in the HD DVD camp were ready to throw in the towel in late 2005 and something kept them from doing it. Microsoft seems to be the company that is running around crowing the loudest about HD DVD.

If so, forget about this guy or what Bill has been saying about us this week. He totally and completely got the above wrong. Lack of unification had everything to do with BDA in those dealings and zero to do with us. I will say more later....

Amir
Founder,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Insist on Quality Engineering"

post #95 of 4687 Old 08-31-2007, 12:02 AM
Advanced Member

Well folks, the rumors, innuendo and mud-slinging have reached all time highs lately. I apologize to those that come here seeking facts. I am going to take a break from avs for a while until the noise settles down. I know some of you wonder why I will not engage aggressive posts that represent rumors and suppositions as facts, but I am just not at liberty to talk about data I occasionally receive from other studios, replicators or CE companies that factually contradict the nonsense that continues to circulate here.
There is a reason why other industry representatives will not post here and the last few days exemplify it.

If you have a question you would reasonably expect a BD/ SPE insider to answer, please post it at blu-ray.com and I will do my best to get to it.

Sincerely

Sony Pictures BD Insider
post #96 of 4687 Old 08-31-2007, 03:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by paidgeek View Post

I am going to take a break from avs for a while until the noise settles down.

Sincerely

Before you go can you help us with the recently discovered framing error from Pirates of the Caribbean BD?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=898666

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=900275

I assure you this is not going away.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #97 of 4687 Old 08-31-2007, 03:40 AM
AVS Special Member

BDA Insiders, though any can answer:

Are you aware of any incentives provided by the BDA (or its members) to Acer to join the BDA as a contributing member? I noted this press release didn't indicate exclusivity, just that they joined as a contributing member.

Are you aware of any incentives provided by the BDA (or its members) to China Huala to get them to go Blu-ray exclusive?

Finally, what is the tier system for the BDA? There is plenty of public information on DVD Forum; however, the same does not appear for the BDA. For example, we now have an idea of 3C and 5C, but where exactly do 'Contributing Members' fall into place?
post #98 of 4687 Old 08-31-2007, 04:17 AM
AVS Special Member

To HD DVD Insider(s):

Like the POTC issue, what has been done with US release Traffic HD DVD? I remember vaguely one of the insiders commenting that he will look into it. Several, heck A LOT of people has inquired about this title and when am I going to post screenshots from the STUDIO CANAL version. Initally I would gladly import this title but I realize this not something I would spend $40 on. I would rather wait for the US version. Am I going to wait in vain?

This title has been a popular butt of joke among A/V people. Sony atoned with the original 5th Element BD disaster by releasing the vastly improved remaster (no more joking about that). Disney is about to find out about the POTC framing error. Is Universal going to procastinate still when Disney fix this (assuming)?

post #99 of 4687 Old 08-31-2007, 05:11 AM

Question to Insiders:

I have been reading about big news coming out of CEDIA, can we expect big software news aside from obvious hardware announcements? without going into specifics, can I get a yes or no answer?
post #100 of 4687 Old 08-31-2007, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 94
With 3rd gen Toshiba players apparently going to hit the markets at the end of this month or beginning of next, are current production of 2nd gen players done? Will they continue productions on them for a little while longer?
post #101 of 4687 Old 08-31-2007, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azumi View Post

Question to the Mods:

Some of the posts in the last couple of pages are outrageous and yet they're still online at thie time of writing. In order to save what used to be an internationally recognized crown jewel, could you please enforce a stricter maintenance of this thread and prevent witch hunts from taking place here?

Would it be possible also to consider adding a new rule in the thread, stating that followup questions with the sole intent of pursuing a political agenda, will no longer be acceptable?

Thank you.

I'll take that crown jewel comment as a compliment. It seems the relaxation of the rules to permit more discussion in the previous thread gave some license (or so they thought) to bend them further. We ARE back to the original rules now. I just have a wife recovering from knee surgery, so my time online is rather limited. However, I will start assigning infractions to those who answer questions but are not insiders (put it in a PM, please) or who badger, bicker or attack the insiders.

Ok, now get back. I've got some pruning to do.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #102 of 4687 Old 08-31-2007, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post

I'll take that crown jewel comment as a compliment. It seems the relaxation of the rules to permit more discussion in the previous thread gave some license (or so they thought) to bend them further. We ARE back to the original rules now. I just have a wife recovering from knee surgery, so my time online is rather limited. However, I will start assigning infractions to those who answer questions but are not insiders (put it in a PM, please) or who badger, bicker or attack the insiders.

Ok, now get back. I've got some pruning to do.

Don

best to your wife.

I confirm that we are back to original rules enforced by the new infraction system

I am also reaching out to all, including Insiders, for a kinder, gentler exchange of information

This is a holiday weekend: Happy Holiday

peace
post #103 of 4687 Old 08-31-2007, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
To Mark and Don - THANK YOU!!!
post #104 of 4687 Old 08-31-2007, 11:18 AM

I have a question to the HD DVD insiders.

There was an HD DVD event on the IFA. And there is a tech digest whatever website that claims to have a summary of the event. One thing in the summary caught my attention. It says that the HD DVD group claims:

Quote:

The lower duplication costs makes the HD-DVD a more affordable and therefore more friendly choice.

My question is: affordable and friendly for whom?

I am a pretty hardcore HD DVD supporter - but the HD DVD group claims, that because of the lower replication costs, I, as the consumer, get a price advantage? Well, hearing this pretty much lets emerge a picture in my mind that includes my Toshiba E1 and a heavy axe. The HD DVDs are often more expensive than the bluray discs! How can the HD DVD group tell me, as their customer, who is forced to buy combo discs for $27,95, that this is the more affordable and friendly choice? Or do they mean friendly for the producer?

This is not bickering, it is a question. It is a question that has to be asked. And the answer that there is another (on the other side) studio that charges as much for their discs is not acceptable, because this studio is considered to be out of their mind (even by their own format supporters).

(prefering HD DVD which is build on quality while blu-ray is build on marketing)
CETERUM CENSEO BLU-RAYEM ESSE DELENDAM!
post #105 of 4687 Old 08-31-2007, 12:00 PM

Hi Amir,

Some people have had problems with combo discs, and have successfully exchanged them for working copies.

Do you have any info on what the problems have been? Bad pressings? Balance/weight issues? (I'm just making this up, no idea what might else might cause problems other than bad pressings).

Is this something you're at liberty to dicsuss, or do studios not want to release this type of info?

Thanks,
Stuart
post #106 of 4687 Old 08-31-2007, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

I have heard numbers as high as 95% for both HD-15's and HD30's.

That's great and really not too surprising.

However, I'd be really surprised to hear combo yields are more than 50%, if that.

My DVD, Blu-Ray and HD DVD Collection @
post #107 of 4687 Old 08-31-2007, 12:26 PM

Andy Pennell,

Do you belive we will "see" HD DVD audio disc instead of DVD Audio.. Since DVD Audio and Dolby TrueHD are using the same codec (as far as I know) I have many DVD Audio disc and I would like to see more of this on HD DVD...
post #108 of 4687 Old 08-31-2007, 12:29 PM

"ONKYO introduces the first HD DVD player to enable high bit rate audio streaming via HDMI"

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=65748

HD DVD and CE insiders,

Am I correct in assuming they mean that the player is capable of bypassing internal audio mixing and delivers the native disc audio track over HDMI directly to the receiver?

Can the player always force this type of output, or does it depend on the HD DVD authoring?

Would this be the best audio playback method available to avoid jitter?
post #109 of 4687 Old 08-31-2007, 12:46 PM

Amir

Without any relation to current events, I think I remember you saying that VC-1 is already optimized at low bit rates. Does this mean that you rule out prospective superbit-like HD DVDs or at least think they would be redundant?
post #110 of 4687 Old 08-31-2007, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny_N View Post

Now that Paid has left (and I don't expect Talk here posting anymore either) are there actually any BD insiders left to answer questions about BD?

So, is that it? Did the BD insiders pack up and go? I'd really like to hear more information about Profiles 1.1 and 2.0, upcoming discs with these features, and upcoming players, hopefully released before the end of the year that support these profiles.

If Amir's and others' postings about BD are in error or are frustrating, please just refute them with real information. There's no need to have the debate degrade into bickering. If they're wrong, just state why and leave it at that. If you need to agree to disagree, then leave it at that. Posting relevant factual information will help us, the enthusiasts, to understand where we can best place our home entertainment dollars. Packing up and going home does not do Blu-ray or the majority of lurking posters seeking good information any good.

With enforcement of the rules, I'd like to see BD insiders return with answers to many pressing questions that are out there.
post #111 of 4687 Old 08-31-2007, 02:50 PM

I agree.
Although a lot of bashing was going around, that was never a reason for a bunch of insiders to leave before. It's their choice, of course, but it's not fair to the rest of us who haven't done a thing. If things continue like this, there might as well be a separate thread for Amir so that he won't step on the toes of sensitive insiders. In my view, he never intentionally lied about BluRay, only answered to the best of his knowledge what BluRay insiders were unwilling to, always asking for a correction from the other camp in case he was mistaken; also, even though he isn't a BluRay insider, he knows much more about the BDA plans and strategies than most of us, so why can't he be allowed to answer?

Mods, any news on the separation of this thread into HDDVD and BluRay camps, as has been suggested a few posts back? That would be a good thing, I think. Else, you might ask Amir to stick with HDDVD & VC1 questions only, although that would mean a whole bunch of BluRay questions left unanswered in this forum.

Max M. Fuhlendorf
______
post #112 of 4687 Old 08-31-2007, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny_N View Post

Now that Paid has left (and I don't expect Talk here posting anymore either) are there actually any BD insiders left to answer questions about BD?

Paid will be missed. I was following his posts.

Perhaps the MODs or other insiders know a BR insider who can provide answers to the questions asked here?
post #113 of 4687 Old 08-31-2007, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

I can't post any comments, so let me ask a question to all BD insiders:

Is Amir right that BD50 replication is a headache for studios, especially if sales increase dramatically and production has to be ramped up? Can existing BD50 production lines replace DVD capacity? If so, how might BD replace DVD within three years, as one BD exec has stated? Please give some real data to back up your answers, if that is possible.
post #114 of 4687 Old 08-31-2007, 03:24 PM

jpco said:

Quote:

So, is that it? Did the BD insiders pack up and go? I'd really like to hear more information about Profiles 1.1 and 2.0, upcoming discs with these features, and upcoming players, hopefully released before the end of the year that support these profiles.

With enforcement of the rules, I'd like to see BD insiders return with answers to many pressing questions that are out there.

Speaking for myself (as a dual-Insider, not just Blu-ray), I cannot and will not talk about Studio or our customer plans, nor about anything confidential to either organization. I am sure most others are taking the same position. What I am happy to do is to talk about anything having to do with video or compression (particularly H.264/AVC, where I spent some N years of my life) or anything that's public about Broadcom tools, technologies or products.

Cheers,

Tom McMahon
Technologist
DelRey
Former Co-Chair of H.264/AVC Hi Profiles
post #115 of 4687 Old 08-31-2007, 03:33 PM

Tom,
Can you expound on the Alticast/Broadcom BD-J software? Will it make programming BR disks much easier or is this system at a lower level than that?
post #116 of 4687 Old 08-31-2007, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom McMahon View Post

jpco said:

Speaking for myself (as a dual-Insider, not just Blu-ray), I cannot and will not talk about Studio or our customer plans, nor about anything confidential to either organization. I am sure most others are taking the same position. What I am happy to do is to talk about anything having to do with video or compression (particularly H.264/AVC, where I spent some N years of my life) or anything that's public about Broadcom tools, technologies or products.

Cheers,

Tom,

It seems that the Broadcom solution has been in place and available for quite some time (Pre-December 2006?). Is/was there a limiting factor on the broadcom side with regards to Profile 1.1 compatibility on Blu-ray? Or are the delays outside of broadcom's responsibility?
post #117 of 4687 Old 08-31-2007, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Seeing as this may have gotten lost in events of the last few days:

My question to Talkstr8t or any other insiders:

Is the October 2007 date for mandatory Profile 1.1 support solid this time around? Or is it in danger of being pushed back again? Or is this a topic which you are not at liberty to discuss at this time?
post #118 of 4687 Old 08-31-2007, 03:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Sorry if this has been discussed and I missed it. For insiders who know, will those newer standard DVD replication machines that support HD DVD by default do combo discs also? Or is some special equipment required for doing combos? If special equipement, can you describe what is required for making combos (especially 30/9 combos)? And basically the same questions for twin discs if the answers are different.

Thanks,
Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
post #119 of 4687 Old 08-31-2007, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwv651 View Post

Shouldn't we have a title or who he works for...when you say blu ray insider in which way ? Everyone else has a title or where they work.

Not everyone. Nonetheless, I'm happy to provide a bit more information, although I'll note that this isn't meant to be a guessing game. The mods appreciate insiders posting here and will take action against those who try to "out" any insiders who choose to post semi-anonymously.

I have senior responsibility within my company. My role is primarily related to BD interactivity, which means I work with most of the player manufacturers, chipset vendors, software vendors, and studios. I participate at all levels of the BDA.

Hope this helps fill in some gaps...

Blu-ray Insider
Speaking solely for myself, not the BDA
post #120 of 4687 Old 08-31-2007, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post

No. Because BD uses a completely different strucutre (0.1mm recording versus 0.6mm) the two systems are completely incompatible.

Oh yes for sure. People think someone by magic spend $2B to $3B to create such equipment but that is not the case. Consumers would have to pay it (plus profit).

That being the case, then either a BD replication line is busily stamping out BD titles, or else it's idle -- yes? I've no idea what the volume capability is of a BD line, but I understand as of a couple months ago, Nielson was saying 1.6M BD titles had been sold in the first half of 2007. I also understand the 300 SD sold some 52 million copies since its release.

I don't know if those 52M SD copies of 300 all came from the same replication plant, but I've the suspicion 1.6M BD's don't even begin to keep even one BD line busy. If that's the case, especially given the $2-3B cost of a line, the ROI (return on investment) for installing a BD replication line must be a disaster before one even considers yield issues -- no? I'm having trouble understanding how it is that any entity other than Sony has ever installed one (or am I overlooking something)!
Closed Thread HDTV Software Media Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page