Industry Insiders Master Q&A thread IV: ONLY Questions to Insiders - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #181 of 4687 Old 09-01-2007, 01:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Amir,

With the announcement of the Venturer HD DVD player and it's rumored US $149 street price, can you say anything about where you think prices are headed? I see the Xbox 360 HD DVD addon is selling for 179.99 at Amazon.

Will we ever see a $99 price tag for the addon?

Also if you have any insight as to where prices are headed (such as under 200) for the Toshibas, please don't hold back

http://www.venturer.com/news-details.aspx?id=15
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 4687 Old 09-01-2007, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfinity View Post

I want to start developing with HDi and start exploring interesting ways of communicating with servers through HD DVD players and creating interactive experiences similar to Flash websites I build for studios now (movie sites etc).

Something like cool animations, interactive explorations/timelines etc etc.

Is this possible with HDi? Are there any IDE that I can use? I would love to use tools you have now like Silverlight/Expression studio, something simiilar to Adobe Studio (formerly Macromedia) or Visual Studio. I was very much impressed by the new MLB.TV beta based on Silverlight.

I'm a creative first (heavy in flash, 3d, after effects etc etc) but I also do development too (AS, some .NET, JS, DHTML etc).

Is there a way to use Flash or Silverlight within the HD DVD experience or do I have to code stuff out in DHTML/AJAX fashion?

Will there be any tools from Microsoft, like a suite that would streamline this development? What's your advice to me, where should I start looking at?

Someone else answered to me previously pointing me to some blogs, but I'd like you to point me more directly in the right direction.

Bear in mind that I'm mainly an A/V guy (emphasis on the V), not an interactivity guy much anymore, so you know more abou the doman overall than I do.

That said, Visual Studio is already in use for HDi development, in conjunction with the HDiSim app to simulate the actual interactive behavior. Visual Studio does very nicely with writing the JScript, and doing the XML markup via the HDi schema. Works pretty nicely.

There isn't any fully GUI authoring experience like Expression yet, alas, although folks like NetBlender are working on them.

Digital Media Technology Insider with Microsoft

My compression blog
post #183 of 4687 Old 09-01-2007, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 331
post #184 of 4687 Old 09-01-2007, 04:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post

Whose there?

Sorry, didn't know there was such a request. I don't remember saying there will be a reissue here. This is not the icon of home video like Fifth Element was. So I don't follow the analogy or reasoning for re-issue.

You don't think that an UPCONVERTED SD release is worth a re-issue? And don't kid yourself, its absolutely an SD master. Anyone with any experience with video can tell you this. Does this mean HD DVD thinks its OK to falsely label video as 1080p when its actually 480p? Thats false advertising that can lead to legal action if need be. Do only "iconic" films actually need to be mastered in HD?
post #185 of 4687 Old 09-01-2007, 04:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Talk, when you get back from your vacation, can you* give a simple yes/no if the first SCG PG3 BD Live RRT planned for Q2 actually occurred? With Fox promising BD Live content for Q4, I'm hoping yes, but there doesn't appear to have been a formal call for participants as there was for the Q2 (ahem, Q3) SCG PG3 FSP RRT.

* Or anyone who knows. Muchos gracias.

Alex doesn't live here anymore
post #186 of 4687 Old 09-01-2007, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by trbarry View Post

How about we keep the rules of this thread constant but also start a sticky Insider Debate & Flagellation thread? Any insiders so inclined could also participate there, depending upon their pain threshhold. Over there the rules would be somewhat relaxed and the posts much less moderated. However the mods would periodically swoop in and at least temporarily suspend anyone obviously deserving it.

- Tom

PS - Is the spell check gone now?

the old spell checker was nearly useless anyway: Google has a spell checker that works well with these pages

as for a companion thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=901136
post #187 of 4687 Old 09-01-2007, 04:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by amillians View Post

Talk, when you get back from your vacation, can you* give a simple yes/no if the first SCG PG3 BD Live RRT planned for Q2 actually occurred? With Fox promising BD Live content for Q4, I'm hoping yes, but there doesn't appear to have been a formal call for participants as there was for the Q2 (ahem, Q3) SCG PG3 FSP RRT.

* Or anyone who knows. Muchos gracias.

If folks understood half of what you are saying Alex....

"No comment" from me at this point....

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital
"Insist on Quality Engineering"

post #188 of 4687 Old 09-01-2007, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benes View Post

You don't think that an UPCONVERTED SD release is worth a re-issue? And don't kid yourself, its absolutely an SD master. Anyone with any experience with video can tell you this. Does this mean HD DVD thinks its OK to falsely label video as 1080p when its actually 480p? Thats false advertising that can lead to legal action if need be. Do only "iconic" films actually need to be mastered in HD?

HD DVD is a platform, not a person, and as such doesn't have feelings .

That wasn't a title Microsoft had any direct involvement with AFAIK, so you're really asking the wrong insiders about it. It'd be up to the studio to comment on it. I haven't seen it myself.

Unfortunately, in the end any media platform can only raise the bar for what's possible with the best content - there's never really a minimum quality bar enforceable on a technical level.

My compression blog
post #189 of 4687 Old 09-01-2007, 04:56 PM

Can someone translate "SCG PG3 BD Live RRT" for us laymans? I'm suspecting I'd like to know the answer to this, but I'm not sure what the question was...

-Stuart
post #190 of 4687 Old 09-01-2007, 04:58 PM

I have a question for any insider

There is some speculation as to why Warner was physically at the Blu event in Berlin this past week, but not at the HD event. What is the real reason for this? I would prefer not to have an answer filled with winks and smiley faces, but just factual information.
post #191 of 4687 Old 09-01-2007, 05:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRockSoAwesome View Post

I have a question for any insider

There is some speculation as to why Warner was physically at the Blu event in Berlin this past week, but not at the HD event. What is the real reason for this? I would prefer not to have an answer filled with winks and smiley faces, but just factual information.

Pretty simple really. These are PR events. So you sit down and figure out what message you need to push, what you don't. BDA had a big problem. Paramount left the camp and there were a ton of rumors that Warner might follow. So getting them on stand was very important.

On our side, we were not similarly situated, seeing how Warner has released more HD DVD titles than BD. And just had the biggest boost either format had since launch with Paramount/DW news. So we did not need to get them on stage unless they had something big to say which they didn't.

Folks should not read anything into these things. When and if Warner decides to change stance, it would not be preceded with any action like this (think Paramount).

So there, no smiley. No nothing. Except this one.

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital

post #192 of 4687 Old 09-01-2007, 05:05 PM

Thank you Amirm. I appreciate the quick response
post #193 of 4687 Old 09-01-2007, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpat View Post

Can someone translate "SCG PG3 BD Live RRT" for us laymans? I'm suspecting I'd like to know the answer to this, but I'm not sure what the question was...

RRT normally stands for "Round Robin Test(s/ing)". I have no idea about the others, but they probably refer to subgroups or committees in the BDA.
In the DVD Forum, when a new set of tests for functionality are being created or standardised, then they go through a set of round robin tests where all the current manufacturers get the opportunity to run the tests and make comments/suggestions.
post #194 of 4687 Old 09-01-2007, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkilian View Post

RRT normally stands for "Round Robin Test(s/ing)". I have no idea about the others, but they probably refer to subgroups or committees in the BDA.

Yes, RRT stands for Round Robin Testing. BD Live should be obvious.

For SCG see: http://www.blu-raydisc.com/top/About...547/Index.html and do a little hunting.

Tom McMahon
Technologist
DelRey
Former Co-Chair of H.264/AVC Hi Profiles
post #195 of 4687 Old 09-01-2007, 07:10 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xylon View Post

Let's all concentrate on Traffic first ! ! !

Then Spartacus

If there is a list of titles that were brought to their attention they might be more inclined to see this as a issue worth looking at instead of just a one off title.

Amir, or any insider considering taking our concerns to the appropriate studios, would you like a list of affected titles?

EDIT: Even if the studios decide not to re-issue any of these titles, if they had a list of titles that consumers found unacceptable they may make a note of it and raise the bar for future releases.

cheers
post #196 of 4687 Old 09-01-2007, 08:38 PM
tsb
AVS Special Member

HD DVD insiders - Has there been any serious discussion regarding adding TL disks and increased bandwidth to the HD DVD spec? Do you consider player saturation to be too high to make such a move? If not, what saturation level would you consider too high? Has mandatory hard-coating ever been considered?

IMO, if HD DVD would do these three things there would be no need for BD.

I also eagerly await responses for this post:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post11492221
post #197 of 4687 Old 09-01-2007, 10:20 PM

To Jeff:

Amir posted this here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...6&postcount=62

Quote:

The only statement I have seen on the record was Jeff in the insider thread saying people would be shocked as to how low their (Cinram) yields are. Only to delete that statement a few hours later.

Is this true? Which does it apply to, BD-25, BD-50, or both?

Format Apathetic
post #198 of 4687 Old 09-01-2007, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 82
I have posted many items on this as well with information that was given to me from people I know at the studios as well (both neutral and one from an exclusive BD studio!). Yields at the Sony plants are around 40% for BD50s. At non-Sony plants, they are around 10%!

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision MagazineĀ (Print & Online)

post #199 of 4687 Old 09-01-2007, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

I have posted many items on this as well with information that was given to me from people I know at the studios as well (both neutral and one from an exclusive BD studio!). Yields at the Sony plants are around 40% for BD50s. At non-Sony plants, they are around 10%!

No offence Dave, but I'm interested in Jeff's comment as an insider, as that's who Amir is specifcally referring to.

Format Apathetic
post #200 of 4687 Old 09-01-2007, 11:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 103
@Amir,

I noticed you had an investigation/lab work done on "The Presitge" on BD with regards to rot recently. I am curious if you have had similar investigations/lab work done on combos from Warner and Universal? I find the number of playback issues occurring with combos very alarming.
post #201 of 4687 Old 09-01-2007, 11:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

@Amir,

I noticed you had an investigation/lab work done on "The Presitge" on BD with regards to rot recently. I am curious if you have had similar investigations/lab work done on combos from Warner and Universal?

No we have not.

Quote:

I find the number of playback issues occurring with combos very alarming. I, myself have had serious playback issues with three combo titles to date (Children of Men, The Good Shepard, Superman Returns).

COM has specific issues which were resoloved. For all others, my advice is the same. People must call the customer service line of the studio and ask for resolution. Talking about it here does very little I am afraid.

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital

post #202 of 4687 Old 09-01-2007, 11:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No we have not.

COM has specific issues which were resoloved. For all others, my advice is the same. People must call the customer service line of the studio and ask for resolution. Talking about it here does very little I am afraid.

Amir,

I am curious why you are not more proactive on this issue. You seem willing to spend the time and resources on a BD50 disc issue (for which Paid offered an explanation) yet you do not seem as willing to research, what appears to be, larger issues for your own format? Based on your contacts at Warner and Universal is it not possible to have them do further investigation into this matter? Sorry to probe, but I have a feeling this topic is going to become much more prevalant in the upcoming weeks as Josh Zyber has a commentary on this very subject coming soon to Hidefdigest.

Thanks,
ack
post #203 of 4687 Old 09-02-2007, 12:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I had problems playing superman returns with the pcm, but not the trueHD.

Jacob
post #204 of 4687 Old 09-02-2007, 12:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

Amir,

I am curious why you are not more proactive on this issue. You seem willing to spend the time and resources on a BD50 disc issue (for which Paid offered an explanation) yet you do not seem as willing to research, what appears to be, larger issues for your own format? Based on your contacts at Warner and Universal is it not possible to have them do further investigation into this matter? Sorry to probe, but I have a feeling this topic is going to become much more prevalant in the upcoming weeks as Josh Zyber has a commentary on this very subject coming soon to Hidefdigest.

Thanks,
ack

I have already tried. The studios tell me that they get hardly any complaints. Hence the reason I ask you all to call the studios. Without this, I can't push the issue further because the replicators will not respond to us, only to their customer, the studios.

The kind of testing we did with Prestige was different. We had a disc that clearly had issues and analysis was rather simple. Dealing with some unknown percentage of discs interacting with unknown percentage of machines is hard to do. But if you all call the studios and send them your bad discs, they get to accumulate a good sample to build a case against.

And I am fine with Josh shining light on it. I have been on record saying both formats have let customers down with playability issues which should not have been there from day one. But please note that this is very different than issues of BD-50 when it comes to design.

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital

post #205 of 4687 Old 09-02-2007, 12:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have already tried. The studios tell me that they get hardly any complaints. Hence the reason I ask you all to call the studios. Without this, I can't push the issue further because the replicators will not respond to us, only to their customer, the studios.

The kind of testing we did with Prestige was different. We had a disc that clearly had issues and analysis was rather simple. Dealing with some unknown percentage of discs interacting with unknown percentage of machines is hard to do. But if you all call the studios and send them your bad discs, they get to accumulate a good sample to build a case against.

And I am fine with Josh shining light on it. I have been on record saying both formats have let customers down with playability issues which should not have been there from day one. But please note that this is very different than issues of BD-50 when it comes to design.

Thanks Amir. This seems reasonable. I know in my case, I have never called the studio, I either return the disc to where I purchased it for a working replacement, or I get a refund. Next time it happens I will call the studio as you suggest.
post #206 of 4687 Old 09-02-2007, 01:15 AM

Amir

You have answered many times that part of the reason Microsoft chose HD DVD was because of BD+. Now, I'm not sure if you have answered this: besides BD+, how come you put so much faith in Toshiba as a company actually being able to deliver a product with high quality?

As a simple HD DVD consumer my main contact with Toshiba products has mostly been laptops, so I don't perceive Toshiba as being this superhuman company. For you as an industry insider, is Toshiba a superhuman company that you can put an almost infinite amount of faith in and also a company that can meet the demands from companies like Microsoft, Intel and Universal as well as the quality demands from video buffs while at the same time competing with other CE companies? Or has all of this caught you by surprise?
post #207 of 4687 Old 09-02-2007, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkstr8t View Post

There was a BDA Board of Directors meeting today. Nothing was said about pushing back dates. The next meeting is in mid-October.

Talk,

Considering this is a similar response to this question when posed in December 2006 (before the date slipped from July to October 2007), I was wondering if you could share your thoughts on the possibility of the date slipping. Have you heard any rumors or rumbling that the date might slip? What do you think the possibilities are of this occuring? Is October 2007 set in stone with no chance of getting moved back?

Thanks for your reponse.
post #208 of 4687 Old 09-02-2007, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom McMahon View Post

Well, we have more than one chip design for these markets (there isn't just one "Broadcom solution"), and our customers choose which chip (or version of a chip) they want to use based on their specific price/performance/time-to-market tradeoffs.

See here for example:
http://www.broadcom.com/products/Con...stem-Solutions

Of course, we're not standing still for these markets going forward either - there is a roadmap for these markets going out quite a ways....

Tom,

Understand your point, I wouldn't expect you to sit still as competition is an every-changing scenario.

I do have a more specific question, if you can answer: Has Broadcom had available chipsets for 'some time' that have the capability to perform SD PiP along with the main feature? If so, how long has this chipset been available to CE's?
post #209 of 4687 Old 09-02-2007, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsb View Post

HD DVD insiders - Has there been any serious discussion regarding adding TL disks and increased bandwidth to the HD DVD spec? Do you consider player saturation to be too high to make such a move? If not, what saturation level would you consider too high? Has mandatory hard-coating ever been considered?

IMO, if HD DVD would do these three things there would be no need for BD.

I also eagerly await responses for this post:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post11492221

I'd like to hear a response from Amir responding to all these issues TSB brings up as well...
post #210 of 4687 Old 09-02-2007, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post

I'd like to hear a response from Amir responding to all these issues TSB brings up as well...

There's really not a whole lot to be said about TL until it's gone through the standards process and backwards compatibility has been thoroughly tested.

It's potentially a cool technology, but HD DVD is already great today - even if TL never happens, there's years of innovation to come in the format. Today's spec and installed base of players give us the features we need for great titles.

From the compression perspective, we continue to focus on HD-30 as our target. If we get TL down the road, that'd be a welcome bonus, but it's not something we're counting on or planning around.

My compression blog
Closed Thread HDTV Software Media Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page