Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 4687 Old 08-30-2007, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 475
Industry Insiders Master Thread IV : Questions to Insiders only: only Insiders may answer

This is a continuation of the Industry Insiders Q&A thread III:

Industry Insiders Q&A MASTER THREAD III

Post Questions [only questions] directed to and answered only by Industry Insiders who are asked to identify themselves as such in their sig : subject to AVS approval

Industry Insiders only may answer questions or make comments: this is the thread for chat between Insiders as well : however Insiders should limit their comments to their side only and never attack other Insiders

New Rule, please read.
If you are here as a representative from ether camp your contribution is welcomed but moving forward please do not disparage or bash the opposing format in any way.
Please play fair.

Thank you!!

Thank you!![/size]

any AVS member can post questions [only questions please] for Insiders- but we will not tolerate any bashing

AVS recognizes the special nature of Industry Insiders and values their participation: we ask all AVS members to treat them with respect

Remember: Questions only: no off topic posts: they may be removed: and only Insiders [who have been recognized by AVS moderators] may answer

Insiders: please send me a PM with your credentials: mods and only mods will make the determination of who qualifies as an insider and all such discussions will be done off line: not to be discussed here

Please help us make this a flagship thread on AVS by observing these rules

Insiders approved to post in this thread and guidelines for this list:

this list is controlled by the mods: please don't post, either here or in any other forum or thread, about the selection

- list is for this Insider's thread only: it does not apply to any other forum, thread, or post: we don't ask Insider's status outside of this thread and they are not required to ID themselves outside of this thread
- please don't start any threads on it
-see a mistake or want to request an edit? please PM me: list will be updated frequently
-Are you an Insider who wants to post? please PM me if you are not on the list: we would love to add more

Amirm
Amir Majidimehr
Corporate Vice President, Microsoft Corporation
Consumer Media Technology Group, Mobile and Embedded Devices Division
Microsoft HD DVD insider (Retired circa fall 2007)
VC-1 video codec insider in BD/HD DVD

Andy Pennell
Andy Pennell
HDi Developer, Microsoft
HD DVD Insider

archibael
name withheld upon request
Intel Corp., Technology Manufacturing Group
CPU/Chipset Industry Insider

benwaggoner
Ben Waggoner
Program Manager for Video Encoding, Professional Content Group, Microsoft
HD DVD and VC-1 Insider with Microsoft

bkilian
Bryan Kilian
Software Development Engineer in Test HDDVD team at Microsoft
Insider with Microsoft

Cjplay
Warner Bros HD-DVD Compressionist
Compressionist
[we miss you]

Cyanide

Chad Heinemann
Microsoft Codecs, Xbox HD DVD

David Vaughn

DVD Editor
Home Theater Spot
Contributing Writer
Ultimate AV

dr1394

Ron Economos
Compression Engineer
CE industry insider (D-VHS, DCT-6412 STB, DVDR and EVD)

DTV Tivo Dealer
Robert Zohn
President of *********************
Advanced Digital Technology Dealer
TV Broadcast RF Systems Engineer
Retailer - B&M Storefront and Online Website

Empirical Audio
Chief Engineer
Digital Audio Expert
Central Oregon

FilmMixer
Marc Fishman
Re-Recording Mixer, ToddAO Studios
Studio City, CA
Film Sound and Post Production Insider

home_theatre_man

Chase Walton
Technical Editor
Performance Media Industries
Media Specialty Resources

Home Theater Design, Setup & Calibration Insider

JeffWilliams
Authoring and Compression
HD-DVD/Blu-ray Insider

jimby_99
VP, Advanced Technology for Universal Music Group
Production/Release supervisor of Blu-ray, HD DVD & DVD titles
Music/Video Industry Insider

John Dawson

President and Founder of ARCAM (A & R Cambridge Ltd)
Audio aficionado with keen interest in high resolution audio
Industry insider

kjack
Keith Jack
Director Product Marketing
Sigma Designs
BD and HD-DVD decoder supplier
BD/HD-DVD insider

MeridianHQ

Meridian Insider
Huntingdon England

Maxpower1987

Name withheld upon request
BD Financial Industry Insider
Financier

Mulholland
(name and company withheld by request)
Software Development Engineer in Post-Production House
managing transcodes to MPEG-2,AVC,VC1 and digital packaging

PacificDisc
Sean - PacificDisc
HD DVD & Blu-ray Replication Insider

paidgeek

Sony Pictures BD Insider
Engineer

Penton-Man
BD Hollywood Studio Insider

RBFilms
Richard J. Casey
R&B Films, Ltd.
Producers Guild of America, New Media Council
HD-DVD / BD Industry Insider

RDoherty

Richard E. Doherty
Director, Technology Strategy, Microsoft

Roger Dressler
Director, Business Development
Dolby Laboratories

smokey
Bruce Lidl
DivX, Inc.
representative of DivX,

Talkstr8t
Blu-ray Insider
Speaking solely for myself, not the BDA
Digital Television

Tom McMahon

Technical Director
Broadcom Corporation

walkamo
Christopher Walker
Product Planning and Marketing for Blu-ray and Optical Discs
Pioneer Electronics Sr Manager
Blu-ray Hardware Insider

zambelli
Alex Zambelli
Software Development Engineer in Test
Codec Team, Consumer Media Technology Group, Microsoft
VC-1 and WMV9 codec insider with Microsoft

please take the high road in every post
if you see a problematic post, please do not quote it or respond to it: report it to the mods to handle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4687 Old 08-30-2007, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Insiders III had

3,650 posts / 351,750 views / and 28 Insiders in 122 pages just since May 23

if you see a problematic post, please do not quote it or respond to it: report it to the mods to handle
post #3 of 4687 Old 08-30-2007, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Shouldn't we have a title or who he works for...when you say blu ray insider in which way ? Everyone else has a title or where they work. I'm alittle confused here. Can the Mods please add his information. Thanks

Talkstr8t
Blu-ray Insider
Digital Television

Joe V.
post #4 of 4687 Old 08-30-2007, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post
I guess you are stating that it was all about money (or more simply stated, a payoff). I don't know whether money changed hands or not, but I know that the cost of producing BD50 titles was a very big factor in their decision.

I'm sure they are, but hope and reality are two different things.

I disagree with you on this point though. I think they fully expected that by this point their yields would be much higher than they are currently.

Dave or any other insider with knowledge,

What is the current cost difference for studios producing BD50 titles from BD25, HD30, and HD30 combo titles? If this is one of the major factors contributing to Paramount leaving should this not be a major concern for the BDA with regards to Warner, Disney, Fox, and MGM?
post #5 of 4687 Old 08-30-2007, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwv651 View Post

Shouldn't we have a title or who he works for...when you say blu ray insider in which way ? Everyone else has a title or where they work. I'm alittle confused here. Can the Mods please add his information. Thanks

Talkstr8t
Blu-ray Insider
Digital Television

Several Insiders have asked that certain info be withheld and this is understandable: be assured that we have checked their credentials

post #6 of 4687 Old 08-30-2007, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

Our hosts have qualified him by classifying him as an Insider and that's enough cred for me.

Just my $.02.

Agreed. Too many crazies out there and I certainly do not blame folks for not using their real names. It is not hard to track people down these days. I am sure the mods are given more information than just an anonymous name to prove these folks are insiders, and based on Talk's feedback and input to this forum he is clearly an insider.
post #7 of 4687 Old 08-30-2007, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

Agreed. Too many crazies out there and I certainly do not blame folks for not using their real names. It is not hard to track people down these days. I am sure the mods are given more information than just an anonymous name to prove these folks are insiders, and based on Talk's feedback and input to this forum he is clearly an insider.

We ask for a lot of information and independently check credentials and get references:

if you have a challenge to the list, kindly PM me and we will look into it

post #8 of 4687 Old 08-30-2007, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

We ask for a lot of information and independently check credentials and get references:

if you have a challenge to the list, kindly PM me and we will look into it

Nope. I have no challenges at all. Like I said, if it is good enough for the AVS mods, it is good enough for me

Thanks Mark. Keep up the good work.
post #9 of 4687 Old 08-30-2007, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Mark...Good enough for me.

Joe V.
post #10 of 4687 Old 08-30-2007, 10:59 AM

Is there any relationship between the decoders, chipsets, & SoC's used in HD DVD / BD standalone players and the hardware in cable/satellite HD set top boxes?

How much of a chicken-and-egg scenario do insiders see with HDTV's, HD broadcast content, AVR's, and HD optical?
post #11 of 4687 Old 08-30-2007, 11:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokeith View Post

Is there any relationship between the decoders, chipsets, & SoC's used in HD DVD / BD standalone players and the hardware in cable/satellite HD set top boxes?

At least in case of the one SoC I know, the chips share cores but are different in the rest of the components needed and as such, priced differently.

Quote:
How much of a chicken-and-egg scenario do insiders see with HDTV's, HD broadcast content, AVR's, and HD optical?

Sorry, I don't follow . Can you pls clarify what you mean by chicken and egg? We don't fell throttled by lack of HDTvs if that is what you are asking. If just 10% of the new buyers also purchase one of these new players, we will be golden .

Amir
Retired Technology Insider
Founder, Madrona Digital
"Insist on Quality Engineering"
post #12 of 4687 Old 08-30-2007, 11:23 AM

i have been reading this thread over the past couple weeks (after buying the hd 360 addon) and totally appreciate and respect all the inside info amir and all the insiders are taking the time to offer

my question (if it has been discussed b4, sorry in advance) is towards the hd dvd crew. I have noticed a swing in advertising/marketing by the hd side lately. Up until maybe a month ago, it seemed bluray dominated commercials, store ads, most things in general. Now, it seems like hd websites are getting their stuff together, i'm seeing more store ads, awesome promotions, and television commercials. I was wondering if this was hd's position from the beginning- to allow bluray to expend itself in the early stages, only to pump things up later on; or was it more of a reaction to bluray like oh crap, we need to get our name out there!! haha I'm guessing this has been a planned attack, but was just wondering what you guys could offer...

thanks for all the good reading
post #13 of 4687 Old 08-30-2007, 11:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by faid2black View Post

i have been reading this thread over the past couple weeks (after buying the hd 360 addon) and totally appreciate and respect all the inside info amir and all the insiders are taking the time to offer

Thanks for the kind words. And welcome to AVS!

Quote:

my question (if it has been discussed b4, sorry in advance) is towards the hd dvd crew. I have noticed a swing in advertising/marketing by the hd side lately. Up until maybe a month ago, it seemed bluray dominated commercials, store ads, most things in general. Now, it seems like hd websites are getting their stuff together, i'm seeing more store ads, awesome promotions, and television commercials. I was wondering if this was hd's position from the beginning- to allow bluray to expend itself in the early stages, only to pump things up later on; or was it more of a reaction to bluray like oh crap, we need to get our name out there!! haha I'm guessing this has been a planned attack, but was just wondering what you guys could offer...

thanks for all the good reading

No it was not an attack but rather sound business decision. Back in Q1, everyone kept asking where all the new titles were etc., and I kept say that post Xmas is not the time you put out a ton of new things. Retail has its cycles and if you want to spend wisely, you time your spend around that.

Likewise, people kept asking for our "answer" during summer but summer is also dead slow. Now that we are in BTS (Back to School) is the time to open the spigot and get interest. You know, we want to send that college kid to school with a shiny new HD DVD player .

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital
post #14 of 4687 Old 08-30-2007, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post

Sorry, I don't follow . Can you pls clarify what you mean by chicken and egg? We don't fell throttled by lack of HDTvs if that is what you are asking. If just 10% of the new buyers also purchase one of these new players, we will be golden .

You got it. The reason I asked is because not yet one of my family or friends has an HDTV. Several have large SD TV sets, but no HDTV's. Have you seen any statistics on HDTV adoption rate? Does HDTV purchase generally coincide with the purchase/upgrade to HD cable/satellite?

I think an interesting breakdown would be households with SD vs HD tv's, and then households with HD tv's with DVD players vs HD tv's with HD optical players.
post #15 of 4687 Old 08-30-2007, 11:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokeith View Post

You got it. The reason I asked is because not yet one of my family or friends has an HDTV. Several have large SD TV sets, but no HDTV's. Have you seen any statistics on HDTV adoption rate? Does HDTV purchase generally coincide with the purchase/upgrade to HD cable/satellite?

I think an interesting breakdown would be households with SD vs HD tv's, and then households with HD tv's with DVD players vs HD tv's with HD optical players.

I am sure someone has all of these numbers memorized but not me . But I want to say 30M HD sets have shipped.

And no, most people buy an HD set because it is "cool," is bigger than their current set, and to watch DVDs. Many do not have an HD feed.

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital
post #16 of 4687 Old 08-30-2007, 11:41 AM

Hi Amir, I was wondering if you can give us any insight on this question I posed just before the previous thread was archived. If you cannot I understand. But just wanted to make sure it didn't get lost in the shuffle between the two threads.

Thank you,

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=3641

Purple Hi-Def Owner

My Hi Def/DVD Collection
post #17 of 4687 Old 08-30-2007, 11:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalahmar View Post

Hi Amir, I was wondering if you can give us any insight on this question I posed just before the previous thread was archived. If you cannot I understand. But just wanted to make sure it didn't get lost in the shuffle between the two threads.

Thank you,

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=3641

Thanks for the reminder and kind words.

I don't have any concrete information on Studio Canal publishing in BD. I know the last time it was a mistake. So we should wait for the real titles to hit the store, rather than going by retail mention to get the real scoop. It may be difficult to do this seeing how I will be flying home soon from Japan and big time difference and all. But if I can get more information and can share it, I will do so.

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital
post #18 of 4687 Old 08-30-2007, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Amirm,
Can we expect some big news from the HD Press event on the 31st? or will it just be a rehash of the P&D announcement and some sales figures?
Thanks
post #19 of 4687 Old 08-30-2007, 11:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover2002 View Post

Amirm,
Can we expect some big news from the HD Press event on the 31st? or will it just be a rehash of the P&D announcement and some sales figures?
Thanks

You can expect that if there is any big news, I will pretend I know nothing about it here just before it.

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital
post #20 of 4687 Old 08-30-2007, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
...hey, Amir, welcome back... I don't want to sound petulent, but I had a gazillion questions in the other thread skipped over in favour of more, well, timely ones when you're online.

Do you think it best to remind you of questions you may have skipped, or to simply be patient and for you to work down the list?

A simple "I'm not answering those questions", or "that's dumb, shuttup" would do wonders for those of us patiently waiting for some response...

post #21 of 4687 Old 08-30-2007, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Amir, are you planning to be at IFA tomorrow? Any "insider" hints to the HD DVD presentation you can share? Gianmarco
post #22 of 4687 Old 08-30-2007, 11:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkshark View Post

...hey, Amir, welcome back... I don't want to sound petulent, but I had a gazillion questions in the other thread skipped over in favour of more, well, timely ones when you're online.

Do you think it best to remind you of questions you may have skipped, or to simply be patient and for you to work down the list?

A simple "I'm not answering those questions", or "that's dumb, shuttup" would do wonders for those of us patiently waiting for some response...

I have lost track of questions in the other thread. So pointers for any that need answering would be appreciated, minus the "have you beaten your wife lately" above wrt to Universal .

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital
post #23 of 4687 Old 08-30-2007, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Amir, whats happened with HBO? They announced titles last year that are still not out and I havent heard anything new in awhile.
post #24 of 4687 Old 08-30-2007, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post

I have lost track of questions in the other thread. So pointers for any that need answering would be appreciated, minus the "have you beaten your wife lately" above wrt to Universal .

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=3621
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=3491

...those are two, hardly pressing, questions, among several others from more erudite members... It seems that I had some questions that were tangentially connected to the Paramount deal that got swept up in the tide of extrication during archiving, alas.

Finally, I wanted to know what you are watching for pleasure these days on your system.

post #25 of 4687 Old 08-30-2007, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey BD guys, I'm following with great intrest the, uh, great work being done uncovering the framing issue with POTC - anybody got a line on Disney to make them aware of the issue? It's pretty egregious, of course, but clearly accidental, and I'd be interested to see an official reaction to this.

post #26 of 4687 Old 08-30-2007, 12:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I know why I didn't answer them because there is nothing I can say . I am sure there are emails in my inbox related to Universal web site I have not read . And while I know the answer about LG/Samsung, I can't say it. Once the products ship though, I should be able to comment.

Quote:

Finally, I wanted to know what you are watching for pleasure these days on your system.

Simple answer is not much of anything! I have just been busy with so many things lately with no time to enjoy much. I have a stack of new movies to watch as tall as me!

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital
post #27 of 4687 Old 08-30-2007, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

For any Insiders:

What profile(s) will the new Sony BDP-S500 Support?
post #28 of 4687 Old 08-30-2007, 12:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Folks like to position us as enemies of Sony and as such, put our efforts in HD DVD as something like a personal rivalry. But this does not reflect reality. To wit, I thought I post this link showing more collaboration between the companies in music players. This one is even closer to home because they are using technology out of my team (Windows Media). We are very pleased to see Sony adopt our technology this way.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=899840

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital
post #29 of 4687 Old 08-30-2007, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
The news thead has a post announcing BR player that is Profile 2.0 compliant.

01) I'd like to ask are the Profile 2.0 specs completed and finalized?
02) What date is set for Profile 2.0 to be finalized?
03) What date is set for Profile 2.0 to go into effect?
post #30 of 4687 Old 08-30-2007, 01:04 PM

Any Insider:

I found this tidbit interesting from the BDA report at Ifa:

Quote:

In US Blu-ray has 63% standalone unit market share and over 66% of hi-def disc sales

63% of standalones? When did this happen? Or is this information incorrect?

Full article http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/ifa-2007/...eep-295150.php
Closed Thread HDTV Software Media Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page