When to upgrade if already satisfied OK with two seperate players? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 08-31-2007, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Given the Paramount decision, the lifespan that even DIVX's sorry-ass had/etc, cheap prices to entry, and more - the war will obviously drag on for years and people will become more and more attracted to going neutral, out of the ease of doing so, if nothing else.

So I'm wondering what the best time and best player situation that is related - would be for those people who can/will wait or are already neutral but looking to eventually upgrade.

I'm not ecstatic about but am generally happy with the PS3 and HD-A2 I own now - their performance, how they sit on my shelf, etc - but I'm an enthusiast so you know what that means...

I'm wondering when my next upgrade should occur, how long it will take, and what value or attributes should really draw me to it.

Are you guys who already are pretty satisfied with the two players you have - going to wait until a dual-format player exists cheaply w/absolute final specs for both formats - or are you already looking to do piece-meal upgrades along the way?

When will be the best time to upgrade, if patient - and why? How long will it take for that "solution" to arrive?

And what are your personal plans regarding buying new hardware upgrades or new hardware period?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-31-2007, 01:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
If you are satisfied.... why upgrade?

I'd wait until something came along that you really want.
post #3 of 13 Old 08-31-2007, 02:09 PM

I'm currently HD-DVD only but will move to dual format as soon as there is a dual format player that has better or equal picture quality to my E1, equal or preferably faster boot up times (that bugs my wife), profile 1.1 for Blu-ray and the complete HD-DVD spec and that handles 1080/24 for when I buy a new panel.

Price is important but I plan to keep this currently mythical player for 3 years+ so I'll happily pay £500 ($1000)

If I was in your shoes with an A2 and a PS3, I'd enjoy what you have and buy more media, worry about upgradeing when something special comes along, nothing jumps out yet.

post #4 of 13 Old 08-31-2007, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 11
I also have a HD-A2 and a PS3.

I will probably never upgrade, simply because my PS3 will always be on the shelf for games and such. Thus, since I'm going to have the PS3 and another player to play HD DVDs, there is no point in getting an HD DVD player that also plays Blu Ray now is there?

HOWEVER, if in a couple of years, there is a Combo player that has BD 2.0 I would then consider it, if the price was right.
post #5 of 13 Old 08-31-2007, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

My limits in budget, and since I'm a HTPC fan, my way is to build both platforms into my HTPC. I have the HDDVD addon and will shortly buy a BR-reader. Software will be upgradeable, and worst case I change the graphics card if there are HDMI related chip stuff that changes.
post #6 of 13 Old 08-31-2007, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Blu-ray has to finish their profile, and get that price down, then I'll bite. That is unless more hybrids are in the works by C E manufacturers I trust, then I wait a bit longer. Three disk-players can get pretty messy, though might sufficiently heat my living room when all turned on at once.
post #7 of 13 Old 08-31-2007, 02:51 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Liked: 11
I'm HD DVD now with a HD XA2 and a HD XA1.

I'm into a Blu-ray 2.0 (maybe 1.1) player that's BD-Live capable as soon as one exists that's less than a mortgage payment.

If you had a PS3 and a 2nd gen or later HD DVD player why upgrade?

"A lot of good arguments are spoiled by some fool who knows what he is talking about." - Miguel de Unamuno

follow me on Twitter
post #8 of 13 Old 08-31-2007, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Reason to upgrade is because like other suggested "something special" might be already coming or soon announced.

Also, yes, I said I was satisfied - but, hence the term "generally" as a precursor. Guess, I should have been more specific (it's funny how someone always asks: "well, if you are satisfied...then why the hell...?" - that's cool though, LOL)

I mean, also the other things I said in my OP. I'd like to upgrade just cause I'm an enthusiast who will have the money to jump at a significant improvement.

Specifically, though - the PS3 and A2 aren't perfect. First of all, I'm not going to use the PS3 for games for several years. It's only a BD machine for me. I'd rather have a stand-alone right now but they are too expensive and not as future-proof compared to the PS3. I will admit that the PS3 is AMAZING as a BD player now that I've spent a lot of time with other players.

The A2 is okay but its load and fast forward times are a little annoying (especially compared to the PS3). Also, these two players do take up a lot of space on the shelf both because they aren't really "slimline" and because they are physically two seperate players instead of a possible one.

My TV only has two HDMI ports as well, one that is being fed to an Oppo. I think the Oppo is the best player for SD DVD out there too - since I swear that with the latest firmware and the more fully-fleshed out on-board settings menu it has - it can produce better PQ than the XA2 and Reon...if you properly tandem-calibrate all components.

I love the Oppo, it will take a lot of convincing for me to stop using something else for SD DVDs. Maybe the Blu-ray Denon player upcoming.

One thing I'd be interested in too is an HD player, like the Denon that has "noise reduction" controls for the HD movies also. I'm the type who would really dig a player being able to reduce grain or whatever that can be seen on the HD films as well.

So, I guess in the perfect world - I'd be getting a Denon dual-format player for a low price tag. Guess, that's not happening for at least two or three years, though?

What are the timeframes when we can begin expecting 2.0 dual format players and such?
post #9 of 13 Old 08-31-2007, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

The more I think about it - I'm probably gonna see how much the new Samsung dual is street price by the end of Nov - if it is reasonable, then I will sell what I have for it. If there is no "deal" on it by then - then I will probably just continue to enjoy what I have, waiting for a cheap-ish player that fully supports the Realta HQV processor for both SD/HD clean-up.
post #10 of 13 Old 08-31-2007, 05:25 PM

I like having two separate players. In case anything happens to one of them I still have another with a whole library of HD movies at my disposal until I can get the other one fixed/replaced.
post #11 of 13 Old 08-31-2007, 05:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I figure once DF players are at all affordable, by the time my first one dies the second will cost half as much, so no need for 2 in the long-run.
post #12 of 13 Old 08-31-2007, 05:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiable-Akuma View Post

Given the Paramount decision, the lifespan that even DIVX's sorry-ass had/etc, cheap prices to entry, and more - the war will obviously drag on for years and people will become more and more attracted to going neutral, out of the ease of doing so, if nothing else.

So I'm wondering what the best time and best player situation that is related - would be for those people who can/will wait or are already neutral but looking to eventually upgrade.

I'm not ecstatic about but am generally happy with the PS3 and HD-A2 I own now - their performance, how they sit on my shelf, etc - but I'm an enthusiast so you know what that means...
I'm wondering when my next upgrade should occur, how long it will take, and what value or attributes should really draw me to it.

Are you guys who already are pretty satisfied with the two players you have - going to wait until a dual-format player exists cheaply w/absolute final specs for both formats - or are you already looking to do piece-meal upgrades along the way?

When will be the best time to upgrade, if patient - and why? How long will it take for that "solution" to arrive?

And what are your personal plans regarding buying new hardware upgrades or new hardware period?

It means you have had both formats since launch. Have you ?
post #13 of 13 Old 08-31-2007, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^Hah, well, yeah, sort of. Some here know my pyschotic history in the war. Had the A1 at launch, bought HD DVD titles like hell, got the XA2, then got out of the war in Jan, then got the PS3, started to buy BD titles like hell. Finally, I recently got an A2. Now it's hard to "care" like I used to about any of this stuff. I'm just gonna be buying my movies and hardware upgrades somewhat more quietly and slowly - now that I've "sold out" and gone neutral like a b*tch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Software Media Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page