Did You Own Laserdisc? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Did You Own Laserdisc?
Yes 337 61.95%
No 207 38.05%
Voters: 544. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 240 Old 09-12-2007, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I never owned LD, but had I been as old as I am now back in the day you can bet your behind that I would have.

"Out of the mists of history, the legendary Esquilax! A horse with the head of a rabbit... and the body... of a rabbit."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 240 Old 09-12-2007, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gekkou View Post

I never owned LD, but had I been as old as I am now back in the day you can bet your behind that I would have.

ditto.
post #93 of 240 Old 09-12-2007, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Don't have my player anymore (it broke). Kept the Star Wars LDs just for kicks. Including the final box set. Also, my spouse framed three of the Star Wars LD covers for our HT (the ones that were the large print covers of Darth Vader, a Storm Trooper and Yoda). They look pretty good. I really miss the THX and DD intros that some of the LDs had. They always sounded fantastic when you fire them up! SJ
post #94 of 240 Old 09-12-2007, 08:23 PM
Advanced Member

I found a Pioneer LD player in a store today... didn't buy it... but I may go back and pick it up. It should be interesting trying to explain that one to the girlfriend, though...
post #95 of 240 Old 09-13-2007, 01:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher054 View Post

Hello tteich,

It's good to see that i am not the only one that's still purchasing a great deal of Laserdisc's and hardware from all over the place, but especially from HongKong, Japan and the USA.

Look forward to hearing from yourself.

Genuine regards

Mark from the UK.

Hello Mark. Apparently there exist a lot of LD fans who are still buying LDs in order to expand their collections. Here is mine (http://www.lddb.com/collection.php?a...tet&sort=title), at least the 250 movie LDs, not to mention more than 100 Arcade/Laseractive/etc. I own.

@alpha21:
I started to buy my collection when my first DVD player broke, and during my search for a new one came across the Pioneer DVL-909, wondering why it has such a large tray ;-) That was long after LD has died. So it's never to late to start a new hobby...

Best regards, Torsten

Laserdiscs: ~350
HiVision LDs: 42
HD DVD count: 379 / still 20 on the wishlist
post #96 of 240 Old 09-13-2007, 01:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomethingMore View Post

I found a Pioneer LD player in a store today... didn't buy it... but I may go back and pick it up. It should be interesting trying to explain that one to the girlfriend, though...

Buy it! But beware, it can suddenly become a passion.

Laserdiscs: ~350
HiVision LDs: 42
HD DVD count: 379 / still 20 on the wishlist
post #97 of 240 Old 09-13-2007, 04:12 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 44
So after almost 500 respondants - we are stil above 60% that have/had LD. What surprises me the most is the number of people who didn't have LD. Guess that is due to age for the most part which does say something as a reflection of the current status of HD movie player owners.
post #98 of 240 Old 09-13-2007, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't think age is always a factor. I'm 23 and just started collecting a few years ago.. So it all what your willing to do.
post #99 of 240 Old 09-13-2007, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Knocksville TN, capitol por republica de Polezannia
Quote:
Originally Posted by homerx View Post

I don't think age is always a factor. I'm 23 and just started collecting a few years ago.. So it all what your willing to do.

I got my first player an LD-838D when you were a toddler.

In real life I am Dot Mongur champion of the International Pacman Federation. I don't play the game, I operate it.....no dot is safe from me....

post #100 of 240 Old 09-13-2007, 09:49 PM

When it came time to remodel our house, the main focus was to find something we liked that would hold all of my LD's. We don't really watch them anymore so they are now more of a showpiece.

DVD / Blu-Ray / HD-DVD or whatever comes next will never match the LD Box Sets.

Concert discs are the bread and butter of HD ownership.
post #101 of 240 Old 09-13-2007, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacker-pschorr View Post

When it came time to remodel our house, the main focus was to find something we liked that would hold all of my LD's. We don't really watch them anymore so they are now more of a showpiece.

DVD / Blu-Ray / HD-DVD or whatever comes next will never match the LD Box Sets.

I dont have the room to show mine anymore and have been trying to get rid of them for some time.
post #102 of 240 Old 09-19-2007, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member

Still have LDs (and am often surprised by how good the well-mastered ones look on an LCD RP screen). Many were so good that I've never had to buy DVDs of most titles that were on LD. But HD has spoiled me...to the point where I'm even considering selling my HLD-X9 player.

LD really had a good long run... a lot longer than Standard DVD has had before being supplanted by HD discs.
post #103 of 240 Old 09-19-2007, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 187
I got into the game in '99, when DVD started its surge to the top. I worked with someone who had an LD player, nothing too fancy, but it got me hooked nonetheless. I've been through a few machines, ending up with a Runco LJR II (great player, best I've had).

I still keep an eye on ebay - a few months ago I imported the Japanese Die Hard Trilogy boxset - but my passion for LD is fading these days. I don't have a huge collection, 100 or so. I love boxsets, the bigger the better, although I think my favourite is the Japanese Star Wars Trilogy SE, which I got signed by Billy Dee Williams, Carrie Fisher and Warwick Davies.
post #104 of 240 Old 09-19-2007, 03:16 PM

Still do.

I had a Magnavox that I got from Rich's, with Battlestar Galactica (Can you say "Early Adopter?") but I ended up returning the third unit when it overheated like the first two.

Got back in later when better models were available, and bought my share of Pioneer Anime (Tenchi Muyo!) and movies, Star Wars and more.

I have a Pioneer Elite player that still works, I was just using it last week.

John

I swear I'll burn those downloaded Replay files to DVD!
(Someday.)
post #105 of 240 Old 09-19-2007, 03:28 PM

I bought my first laserdisc player back in 92 in collage durring the Fantasia Pioneer push. I replaced my player in 98 with a DVL909 combo player. I still own about 50 discs and I have since been framing them and using them as decorations in my HT.
post #106 of 240 Old 09-19-2007, 03:44 PM

I still have my player & collection.

This survey makes me wonder if the two HD formats have reached the market penetration of LD yet?
post #107 of 240 Old 05-16-2010, 01:43 AM

I would like to add that I did own laserdisc and I still do.

I currently have three laserdisc players, one in my family area and one in my bedroom. The third is really old and is in the closet.
post #108 of 240 Old 05-16-2010, 02:57 AM
Advanced Member

Jurassic Park and the Sound of Music still sound best on LD. If they do a good job on the Blu-ray versions, then I will no longer have a reason to keep my LD player. And OT, if they release Eagles in Melbourne on Blu-Ray, I can get rid of my HD-DVD player.
post #109 of 240 Old 05-18-2010, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Laser Disc owner since the days of Discovision.

Chris

"It's [expletive] lame to watch Jaws, a film that uses the 2.40 ratio as well as any ever produced, in the wrong format on HBO." -Steven Soderbergh, Oscar-winning director

post #110 of 240 Old 05-18-2010, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
You guys do know you're posting to a 3-year old thread, right?
post #111 of 240 Old 05-18-2010, 11:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceless Rebel View Post

You guys do know you're posting to a 3-year old thread, right?

Now its one day old.

Good movies are as rare as an on topic discussion.
post #112 of 240 Old 05-21-2010, 03:15 AM

still got mine along with about 120 discs
the LD in many cases, I thought superior over the dvd, until progressive scan and hi-def tv came along..

wish someone like Oppo would do a LD player that would enhance the image as they do for standard dvds....................

Out of Africa, i enjoy far more in the LD form than the DVD, even with progressive scan.
Fear what will be my reaction, if and when I finally buy the blu-ray

best move for Universal-Stop transferring, mastering.If not for the sake of the films, do it for our planet.-Harris;
TOO LATE; Out of Africa is out-the worst ever
post #113 of 240 Old 05-21-2010, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVisone View Post

....wish someone like Oppo would do a LD player that would enhance the image as they do for standard dvds....

Pioneer already beat them to it with the HLD-X9 and HLD-X0...made for Japan but shipped elsewhere to enthusiasts.

In real life I am Dot Mongur champion of the International Pacman Federation. I don't play the game, I operate it.....no dot is safe from me....

post #114 of 240 Old 05-21-2010, 03:35 PM

Liked: 11
Its like all the fun of vinyl but with video added! I love my LD stuff. Its fun to hunt record stores, thrift stores, craigslist, etc for new (to me) movies. Even more fun to see people's faces when you pull out a 12" shiny disc. The big jackets certainly beat DVD cases. Also makes me fell like an uber video snob even if I'm about 15 years behind the times.

CED Videodisc....that was a HUGE disappointment. Now I've invested about $200 in a bunch of un-watchable movies. Maybe it needs a new needle.
post #115 of 240 Old 05-26-2010, 05:34 AM

Liked: 50
I do miss LD and still buy a few of the nicer sets today
post #116 of 240 Old 06-01-2010, 01:54 AM
Advanced Member

I miss the big sleeves, especially as I get older
post #117 of 240 Old 06-01-2010, 08:10 AM

I really do not miss the prices of both the discs and players. Back in the day (at least 15 years ago!) a reasonable player cost $800 - 1500 [$1200 - 2000 CDN] and discs $40 - 50 with T2 and the Star Wars box sets going for $150 -250 [and that translates to $60 - 80 and $200 - 400 CDN]!!! Those costs wold be astronomical these days and now people complain about $20 [ now about $20 CDN!!] discs and players that cost over $200.

The good old days were indeed expensive. I do not know how I could afford to be hooked on the hobby. At least these days, when I spend way too much money on Blu-ray (of course to reolace all the DVD's I bought AFTER the LD's), I get a lot of discs. Somehow I managed to get the LD Box sets for Thunderball and Goldfinger, the Criterions of the first three James Bond movies, The T2 platinum set and TWO of the Star Wars sets, the original trilogy and the definitive collection among hunderds of others......I must have been nuts to spend so much....the Star Wars were somewhere in the vicinity of $400 CDN each ....AAAAArrrrgggggghhhh. I think it would have been cheaper to be on hard drugs.....but probably not as much fun in the long run. I really do not know if it is a good thing to be old enough to remember this stuff!

P.E.Hannon
post #118 of 240 Old 06-01-2010, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phannon View Post

...I really do not know if it is a good thing to be old enough to remember this stuff!

Any day that one wakes up and finds out they're not dead is a damn fine day to be alive....

If you'd lived in the U.S. you could of gotten your LD's for some less dollareenies. I haunted used shops for bargains. I ordered most of my new LD's from Ken Cranes for 20% off list. Still, it was an expensive habit but to this day most of my LD's play. I have quite a few that I continue to play.

post #119 of 240 Old 06-01-2010, 09:39 AM

The LD's were hard to come by up here in the Great White North, so I bought from Tewksbury Audio and Video in N.J. (checked Ken Crane, but do not remember if I bought from there) until they pulled the plug on the discs when DVD's started up. The exchange rate at the tme was a killer.

I should pull out my Pioneer player (I had a Pioneer CLD-704, but the bearing went away and never got it fixed, but it was a fantastic machine...I also previously had a couple Panasonics that showed some crosstalk and a Sony that showed a lot of crostalk and now have a Pioneer elite CLD-59(?), I haven't actually hooked it up to my Pioneer 101FD plasma, maybe one of these days.....maybe watch the original Star Wars cuts from the Original trilogy set ....in the full letterboxed 4:3 480i non anamorphic glory!!

Times have changed.....I even remember that newfangled LD format.....letterboxing!. I believe Ben Hur was one of the first.....I had one of course...2.85:1 letterboxed on a 27 inch Proton monitor...talk about small viewing area! I believe I upgraded to a 31 inch Proton because of the letterboxing. When "anamorphic" DVD's became the norm I upgraded to a SONY XBR250 32 inch 480i component video (weighed a ton) that 12 or 13 years ago cost the equivalent of more than the aforementioned 1080p HDMI High def Pioneer plasma!

God I love this (hobby) obsession!

P.E.Hannon
post #120 of 240 Old 06-01-2010, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
i'm even more of a sicko! I bought HD movies, HD compatible displays and HD compatible CRT projectors in the 1990's, before dvd even came out!
Reply HDTV Software Media Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page