Transformers = No Lossless. What will you buy instead? The SD DVD? - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 827 Old 09-25-2007, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecker View Post

Strange.

There are people here who claim to go for the PQ & SQ.

And yet they're going to buy an SD DVD with NTSC picture and DD sound, rather than the HD DVD with 1080p and DD+ sound.

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense!

I'd prefer the disc to have lossless sound (probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference, but hell, who knows?) and the full studio digital master.

Trouble is, the digital master is in 4k resolution.

So am I never going to buy a BD or HD DVD ever again, because it's only 25% of the resuolution of the studio master?

Are some people here just stupid or lying?

Steve W

Couldn't say it better. I go for stupid liars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 827 Old 09-25-2007, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wipron View Post

Toshiba HD-A2 + 8 (that's right 8) FREE movies for $218 delivered to my door.

What do you expect them to just give it to you or what??

Well that's the way he got his PS3 - from mommy/daddy.
post #183 of 827 Old 09-25-2007, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
This is so retarded, (apolgies to the retarded). This disc isn't out yet and morons again!!! are boo hooing the SQ of this film. Lossy/lossless....it will sound fantastic, go get a life for gods sake.

Sick of this S**t
post #184 of 827 Old 09-25-2007, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

So let me get this straight, the SD DVD has Lossless Audio????

I mean, here is your premise, I want lossless audio, but the HD DVD Transformers won't have lossless audio, so instead I'm going to buy the SD DVD.

LOL LOL LOL

You are a fool.

If your going to buy the movie, the SD DVD costs $23 and the HD DVD costs $28.

The difference is 5 Freakin' Dollars.

And if your thinking that your not buying the HD DVD will make some kind of statement, your absolutely absurd, because no matter what anyone does, this HD DVD will be the best selling HD DVD of the year.
post #185 of 827 Old 09-25-2007, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotheraviator View Post

The difference is that 1.1 is not backwards compatible with 1.0. 2.0 is not backwards compatible with 1.1 or 1.0.

Basically you buy Bluray and you enjoy technology, you will be buying 3 players in the next 1-3 years.

You can't put in a secondary video processor using a firmware update. It's hardware. You can't put in internet connectivity using a firmware update. It's hardware.

With HD-DVD, finished spec means that every player must meet set criteria and all content must be compatible with set criteria. It means everyone will play and will always play. Buy a player today, good forever.

What it really means is that HD DVD is a dead-spec, meaning it will never get any better. Blu-ray has levels of conformance built into their system. The basic blu-ray player (1.0) will play all the movies and a few other things. If you want more features, you buy a 1.1 or 2.0 player. In the future, I fully expect them to come up with even more cool stuff the players can do and they will no doubt release a 3.0 spec someday. I get the level of the features I pay for. 5 years from now my 1.0 blu-ray player will still do all the stuff it does right now, with all the releases that come out.

HD DVD on the other hand has a fixed set of features it supports now and it will never grow. It is naive to think that everything they might possibly need in the future is done. The truth is that HD DVD will change their spec in the future as well. They will call it version 2.0 as well and discs released in version 2.0 will probably play in 1.0 players, but the 1.0 players won't do the 2.0 features.

Looks to me like they are already doing it with TL51 discs. I will be surprised if all players from the past can play TL51 discs. Sure, cry about how they won't approve it if it is not backward compatible, but that is simply saying that TL51 may never be a reality. How long do you think HD DVD can remain stuck with the same old tired spec as blu-ray adds features upon features?

Blu-ray was smart having levels of conformance right from the start. The basic player that doesn't have all the crap, such that it can be manufactured dirt-cheap in the future, plus players that support higher-end features.
post #186 of 827 Old 09-25-2007, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagMan View Post

What it really means is that HD DVD is a dead-spec, meaning it will never get any better. Blu-ray has levels of conformance built into their system. The basic blu-ray player (1.0) will play all the movies and a few other things. If you want more features, you buy a 1.1 or 2.0 player. In the future, I fully expect them to come up with even more cool stuff the players can do and they will no doubt release a 3.0 spec someday. I get the level of the features I pay for. 5 years from now my 1.0 blu-ray player will still do all the stuff it does right now, with all the releases that come out.

HD DVD on the other hand has a fixed set of features it supports now and it will never grow. It is naive to think that everything they might possibly need in the future is done. The truth is that HD DVD will change their spec in the future as well. They will call it version 2.0 as well and discs released in version 2.0 will probably play in 1.0 players, but the 1.0 players won't do the 2.0 features.

Looks to me like they are already doing it with TL51 discs. I will be surprised if all players from the past can play TL51 discs. Sure, cry about how they won't approve it if it is not backward compatible, but that is simply saying that TL51 may never be a reality. How long do you think HD DVD can remain stuck with the same old tired spec as blu-ray adds features upon features?

Blu-ray was smart having levels of conformance right from the start. The basic player that doesn't have all the crap, such that it can be manufactured dirt-cheap in the future, plus players that support higher-end features.

Wow!

Nothing stopping them from creating a HD-DVD 2.0 spec and going through the approval process with the DVD powers to be. Sayings you know for sure 1.0 players won't play 2.0 discs period is just a wild guess on your part. Sheesh!

Good attempt at putting a dead spin on it though...

My Band: Scotch on Sunday
post #187 of 827 Old 09-25-2007, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm into picture quality so SD isn't an option. I'll be picking it up in HD-DVD.

My Band: Scotch on Sunday
post #188 of 827 Old 09-25-2007, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Flowerday View Post

Wow!

Nothing stopping them from creating a HD-DVD 2.0 spec and going through the approval process with the DVD powers to be. Sayings you know for sure 1.0 players won't play 2.0 discs period is just a wild guess on your part. Sheesh!

Good attempt at putting a dead spin on it though...

Hmm, you must not have read what I actually said. HD DVD fans brags about their finished spec like it's set in stone forever. My assertion was that HD DVD would eventually have to create a 2.0 spec just like blu-ray did in order to keep up with new features that will no doubt come up in the future. I also asserted that the 2.0 discs would likely still play in the 1.0 players, just without the new features.

In other words, you completely misread what I said in an attempt to defend HD DVD and in doing so, you actually repeated exactly the point I was trying to make, that HD DVD will do the exact same thing. Blu-ray just has a system in place already to deal with levels of conformance. HD DVD will have to make one up the first time a new feature comes along they want to add.
post #189 of 827 Old 09-25-2007, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm not buying any version of Transformers. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed it but I'm not really inclined to support Paramount at all right now, and this half-assed edition certainly didn't convince me to make an exception. If Paramount releases a blu-ray version eventually I may get that, or if HD DVD wins and they release a version with proper audio I may get that. In the meantime, I won't be buying any Paramount releases in the forseeable future.

Be a Reality fanboy.
post #190 of 827 Old 09-25-2007, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
...it's the simple "if I can't have it, it sucks" mentality. Also shown in a Halo thread elsewhere on this forum.

Quote:
...Well that's the way he got his PS3 - from mommy/daddy.

It's now so clear.... I can't believe I didn't see it earlier. Sony's strategy from the start was to piggyback a HT device on a video game system, the fans of which are typically teenage video gamers who defend their hardware with an almost religious fervor (see: Intel vs AMD, NVidia vs ATi, and my personal fav, "who would win in a fight: Hawkman or The Green lantern?")... Given that particular demographic, they would ensure a following that would not question anything they were spoon fed, and will accept news stories from "unnamed executives" without pause (even when the exec is question could very well be the CEO of Sony disguising his voice)...

Peace... Vader

"Ya see, we plan ahead. That way we don't do anything right now. Earl explained it to me." - Valentine McKee

One sub to rumble them all. One sub to shake them. One sub to humble them all. And in the darkness break them....

post #191 of 827 Old 09-25-2007, 12:01 PM

Quote:

That makes the worst sense and is seriously the silliest post I've ever seen here.

Starting my first HT project!
post #192 of 827 Old 09-25-2007, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Can this thread be closed?
post #193 of 827 Old 09-25-2007, 12:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader424242 View Post

It's now so clear.... I can't believe I didn't see it earlier. Sony's strategy from the start was to piggyback a HT device on a video game system, the fans of which are typically teenage video gamers who defend their hardware with an almost religious fervor (see: Intel vs AMD, NVidia vs ATi, and my personal fav, "who would win in a fight: Hawkman or The Green lantern?")... Given that particular demographic, they would ensure a following that would not question anything they were spoon fed, and will accept news stories from "unnamed executives" without pause (even when the exec is question could very well be the CEO of Sony disguising his voice)...

So so true.

And per, HD DVD specifications. It's very unlikely that HD DVD needs to do anything to modify their specification as it already is offering the sorts of things studios are clamoring.

Maybe the guy postulating that HD DVD specs are 'dead' should realize it will in all likelihood take Sony/BDA a year or more to match what HD DVD can do today. Will BD even survive that long with an outdated spec? Will be interesting to see.
post #194 of 827 Old 09-25-2007, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What it really means is that HD DVD is a dead-spec,

*snip* - some of the craziest spin I've ever seen or heard . . .

The basic player that doesn't have all the crap, such that it can be manufactured dirt-cheap in the future, plus players that support higher-end features.

No offense, but you really have to be at the highest degree of self-delusion to write something like this. I'm format neutral, I buy both. However, it's posts like these that are slowly turning me towards wishing HD DVD carries the day; if only so I won't have to read this type of BS ever again. You would do a lot toward helping your "cause" if you kept this type of absurd rhetoric to a minimum.

Face it, Sony blew it by rushing an incomplete spec to market. How they handle this fact remains to be seen, but to try and sugar coat it by saying it's better than having a "dead" (AKA 'completed" for all but the delusional) spec is the utmost in spin. You aren't dealing with complete rubes here, please don't treat us as such.
post #195 of 827 Old 09-25-2007, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgatie View Post

Face it, Sony blew it by rushing an incomplete spec to market. How they handle this fact remains to be seen, but to try and sugar coat it by saying it's better than having a "dead" (AKA 'completed" for all but the delusional) spec is the utmost in spin. You aren't dealing with complete rubes here, please don't treat us as such.

I agree that Sony is kind of is lacking on the full implementation of their specs but the player does work well in regards to playing movies and extras(BDP-S300 & BD-P1200 I've used). They also haven't required an abundant amount of firmware updates to resolve issues. I believe most Blu-ray players have only had one or maybe 2 updates.

Although HD DVD specs are completed, I've seen a quite a few enthusists abandon ship lately in the HD DVD Player forum.
If enthusists are getting tired of player issues, what does J6P think/do who doesn't have AVS as a resource and runs into issues that may or may not be resolved with Firmware updates.

post #196 of 827 Old 09-25-2007, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...If enthusiasts are getting tired of player issues

The player issues up to this point have been the fault of Toshiba, not the technology. Now that Onkyo and Integra are in the wings, I would bet that you can pretty much say goodbye to "player issues". The same can be said of Samsung players. Just because Sammy's seem to be lacking in advanced audio features, and the playback is no more reliable, this does not reflect on Blu Ray technology, just the implementation thereof...

Peace... Vader

"Ya see, we plan ahead. That way we don't do anything right now. Earl explained it to me." - Valentine McKee

One sub to rumble them all. One sub to shake them. One sub to humble them all. And in the darkness break them....

post #197 of 827 Old 09-25-2007, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

I agree that Sony is kind of is lacking on the full implementation of their specs but the player does work well in regards to playing movies and extras(BDP-S300 & BD-P1200 I've used). They also haven't required an abundant amount of firmware updates to resolve issues. I believe most Blu-ray players have only had one or maybe 2 updates.

Although HD DVD specs are completed, I've seen a quite a few enthusists abandon ship lately in the HD DVD Player forum.
If enthusists are getting tired of player issues, what does J6P think/do who doesn't have AVS as a resource and runs into issues that may or may not be resolved with Firmware updates.

The difference being that the HD DVD forum willingly posts about problems. Forgive me if I say the blind faith of the other side turns me off far more than the occasional person who finds that early adoption is not for them or that problems are too much for them to overcome.

I own an A2 and a BD10A and both have been problem free. Then again, I'm an engineer by trade and I am able to understand a little more about the life cycle of new electronics than the average person.

Plus, if you think the problems J6P has with 1st and 2nd generation HD DVD players are bad, just wait till ol' Joe picks up his $199 Black Friday Sony BDP-S300 and POTC takes over 5 minutes to load and Joe Jr. can't play the Java Dice game on X-mas Day. I know, I bought an S300 and returned it the next day for that very reason (well, that and no support for HD audio codecs).
post #198 of 827 Old 09-25-2007, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

S300 for $199 by Black Friday? Not a chance.
post #199 of 827 Old 09-25-2007, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonhead99 View Post

That makes the worst sense and is seriously the silliest post I've ever seen here.

You obviously haven't been here to long!
post #200 of 827 Old 09-25-2007, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

I can't wait for the first reviews to come in, then we'll see if they found the sound "lacking". My guess is they won't. This is going to rock the house, y'all!
post #201 of 827 Old 09-25-2007, 12:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYFOOTBALLGIANTS View Post

Ya, not like the $499 A2 didn't drop $100 in 90 days.
post #202 of 827 Old 09-25-2007, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Plus, if you think the problems J6P has with 1st and 2nd generation HD DVD players are bad, just wait till ol' Joe picks up his $199 Black Friday Sony BDP-S300 and POTC takes over 5 minutes to load and Joe Jr. can't play the Java Dice game on X-mas Day. I know, I bought an S300 and returned it the next day for that very reason (well, that and no support for HD audio codecs).

I never had issues loading or playing the Liars Dice game when I had the S300.
Yes, it did take about 90 seconds to load the disc and about 90 seconds to load the Liars Dice game but the disc/game worked with no issues.
I played it a few times with no issues.

I now have the BD-P1200 and that think loads discs/games/extras a lot quicker than the S300.

Wait til O'l Henry picks up his Po-Chang HD DVD player on Black Friday for $149 and finds that the disc freezes up or just hangs. He can't even watch a movie. What will be his thoughts about HD DVD after this incident ?

It goes both ways. Just read the HD DVD player forum.

post #203 of 827 Old 09-25-2007, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYFOOTBALLGIANTS View Post

Uhh, I was exaggerating just a wee bit. Had to lower the price to fit the J6P scenario. Would you believe maybe $349??
post #204 of 827 Old 09-25-2007, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...Plus, if you think the problems J6P has with 1st and 2nd generation HD DVD players are bad, just wait till ol' Joe picks up his $199 Black Friday Sony BDP-S300 and POTC takes over 5 minutes to load and Joe Jr. can't play the Java Dice game on X-mas Day. I know, I bought an S300 and returned it the next day for that very reason (well, that and no support for HD audio codecs).

We bought my daughter a nice toy dog last year, but one of her friends got a Webkinz. My daughter's is much better, but she never plays with it because with the Webkinz you can do tons of stuff on-line. We quickly had to get her a Webkinz.

It will be the same with HDM soon. When the kids and teenagers start to use these things and find out that their BR players can not do all the cool web community stuff that HD DVD can, their parents will quickly have their minds changed.

I can thinkof tons of other examples too. Its why Sony is struggling to get their PS3 Home thing working too.
post #205 of 827 Old 09-25-2007, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, it did take about 90 seconds to load the disc and about 90 seconds to load the Liars Dice game

Ahhhh, brings back memories of loading a game into my Comodore64 from cassette...

Peace... Vader

post #206 of 827 Old 09-25-2007, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

I never had issues loading or playing the Liars Dice game when I had the S300.
Yes, it did take about 90 seconds to load the disc and about 90 seconds to load the Liars Dice game but the disc/game worked with no issues.
I played it a few times with no issues.

I now have the BD-P1200 and that think loads discs/games/extras a lot quicker than the S300.

Wait til O'l Henry picks up his Po-Chang HD DVD player on Black Friday for $149 and finds that the disc freezes up or just hangs. He can't even watch a movie. What will be his thoughts about HD DVD after this incident ?

It goes both ways. Just read the HD DVD player forum.

First thing I did was update the S300 and still the game wouldn't play. Maybe you got a newer firmeware than me, because on my unit, it just hung. Plays fine on the BD10A. I must admit I knew of the problems before I bought it but the BD10A was out of stock and I impulsed the S300. Shame on me.

As far as the Po-Chang comment, you are now taking a good, productive conversation and spinning off into the speculation Blu. No one has seen any of the so-called chinese players yet. Plenty have experienced the problems with the S300's lack of BD-J support and lack of HD codecs. Too bad, but I must admit it took two posts before the spin came out, which is better than usual. Thanks for the effort.

I guess we are done. Shame, I thought there was a chance for a reasonable discussion.
post #207 of 827 Old 09-25-2007, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ahhhh, brings back memories of loading a game into my Comodore64 from cassette...

Kind of like waiting for Halo3 to load in the Xbox 360.

post #208 of 827 Old 09-25-2007, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You had the cassette??? I had to type my programs in from scratch each time. You must have been rich!!

10 POKE 133
20 PEEK 132
30 FOR I GETS . . .

I did eventually get a mean version of Pong running. Love those extended function key graphics!!
post #209 of 827 Old 09-25-2007, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

DANG IT JGATIE!!!!

This is the third monitor this month I have spit my Pepsi all over from laughing ...

Peace... Vader

post #210 of 827 Old 09-25-2007, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

DANG IT JGATIE!!!!

This is the third monitor this month I have spit my Pepsi all over from laughing ...

Sorry.
Closed Thread HDTV Software Media Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page