post #661 of 680 Old 06-23-2008, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede View Post

Funny how downloads can effect a company.

To get back to topic. Absolutely!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 680 Old 06-23-2008, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Apple caught up to Dell because of R&D, not downloads.

Dell leeched off MS R&D and still does.

Or put it another way, they got Microsoft's scraps.

Only thing they brought to the table was squeezing costs and inventory management.

That is, what Wal Mart excels at.

Nothing wrong with that necessarily, but a supposed tech company using technology to manage the supply chain instead of developing and productizing technology.
post #663 of 680 Old 06-23-2008, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede View Post

Funny how downloads can effect a company.

Considering that Apple's downloads were only around for the last 2.5 years, I'm not sure that's the only reason.

"When I get sad I just stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story."
--Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother

Best. Surge Protector. Ever.
post #664 of 680 Old 06-23-2008, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBlacklow View Post

Considering that Apple's downloads were only around for the last 2.5 years, I'm not sure that's the only reason.

Nope, and the downloads by themself isnt making money for Apple, but the sellign of Ipods do.

But if thats the only reason, I have no idea. But Im very sure Ipod didnt hurt Apple.

Good movies are as rare as an on topic discussion.
post #665 of 680 Old 06-23-2008, 03:19 PM
Advanced Member

So what's the prospect of future growth in this area in the age of ISPs discussing reintroduction of bandwidth caps?
post #666 of 680 Old 06-23-2008, 03:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.L. View Post

So what's the prospect of future growth in this area in the age of ISPs discussing reintroduction of bandwidth caps?

My guess is that the ISPs will demand a fee from either the digital distribution companies or the studios for every movie (or extra content, basically any download) that's downloaded.

Stacy>>>>>>>>>>Fergie http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ne0rqn_VAOE

Kids Incorporated (original members)>>>>>>>>>>Any band since! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gbcgNhYC7M
post #667 of 680 Old 06-23-2008, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corellianrogue View Post

My guess is that the ISPs will demand a fee from either the digital distribution companies or the studios for every movie (or extra content, basically any download) that's downloaded.

Good! Let greed and fighting among the service and content providers drive up the download cost.

I don't want to have a part of any system where the end goal is getting a piece of what's in my wallet every time I hit play. I am sure I am going to hear arguements that this not the plan, but without physical media THE MEDIA COMPANIES CAN CHANGE THE RULES WHENEVER they choose.

I have no problem with digital distribution as an alternative, but at no point do I want digital distribution to be the SOLE way to get content.

Do any of us want to pay someone every time we hear a favorite music track, watch our favorite movie or read a chapter in our favorite book?

Consumers need physical media to exist or we lose all of our FAIR USE rights.

To the media companies, I will never spend a DAMN dollar on your products if physical media is replaced by digital distribution completely.
post #668 of 680 Old 06-23-2008, 03:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigW View Post

Good! Let greed and fighting among the service and content providers drive up the download cost.

I don't want to have a part of any system that's end goal is getting a piece of what's in my wallet every time I hit play.

I have no problem with digital distribution as an alternative, but at no point do I want digital distribution to be the SOLE way to get content.

Do any of us want to pay someone every time we hear a favorite music track, watch our favorite movie or read a chapter in our favorite book?

Consumers need physical media to exist or we lose all of our FAIR USE rights.

To the media companies, I will never spend a DAMN dollar on your products if physical media is replace by digital distribution completely.

Yeah, ISPs charging the companies and/or studios could be a good thing as it might disuade them from going download only. (I actually didn't think of that at first until reading your message.)

Kids Incorporated (original members)>>>>>>>>>>Any band since! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gbcgNhYC7M
post #669 of 680 Old 06-23-2008, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Overall execution across their product line - Mac, iphone and itunes (ipod, Apple TV).
post #670 of 680 Old 06-23-2008, 05:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

That's just movie downloads, iTunes has been around for 7 years. (Luckily CDs still exist. )

post #671 of 680 Old 06-24-2008, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corellianrogue View Post

That's just movie downloads, iTunes has been around for 7 years. (Luckily CDs still exist. )

I was pointing out the last two years from the date provided, not today.

And yes, CDs are still around, and they're still responsible for 70% of all music sales after 25 years of existence and 7 years of iTunes.

post #672 of 680 Old 06-24-2008, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 695 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Broadband internet service is a profitable business for phone companies. Last I remember, it made them a lot more money than voice (which is going away due to mobile phones). So there is no way they are createing barriers which would entice competition to come in and eat their lunch.

Now, getting rid of the top .1% which downloads hundreds of gigabytes per month, maybe something they attempt in certain regions. But even that causes competitors to try to steal their customers without such caps. I know I can't wait to switch away from Comcast because of it.

All in all, let's wait for the so called Time magazine article to come out before running with such "news." That web site and video doesn't do it for me.

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital
"Insist on Quality Engineering"

post #673 of 680 Old 06-24-2008, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Last I checked companys care about customer acquition and retention. Ask the folks over at Sprint/Nextel what they would do to stop losing customers to competitor Or why ATT is going to pay hunreds of dollars to subsidize the iphone.

Doesn't itunes now generate more music sales than Walmart? Amazing what one online business can do
post #674 of 680 Old 06-24-2008, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Unless Wimax becomes a viable last-mile tech, there is no competition for telecoms and cable companies.

Nobody other than Verizon seems interested in trenching new pipes into homes. And Verizon is cherry-picking the areas they upgrade and they won't encroach on territories "owned" by AT&T and other former Bells (not sure there are many others left).
post #675 of 680 Old 06-24-2008, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post

Nobody other than Verizon seems interested in trenching new pipes into homes. And Verizon is cherry-picking the areas they upgrade and they won't encroach on territories "owned" by AT&T and other former Bells (not sure there are many others left).

Is that a fact?

Seems that my local profitable (albeit a little bit rural) telephone co-op is/has-been adding DTV and high speed internet for the last mile with "new pipes". I wonder how many others are.
post #676 of 680 Old 06-24-2008, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member

If your co-op offers service out here in CA, I'll retract my statement.
post #677 of 680 Old 06-25-2008, 11:21 AM

I don't know who is upgrading it's pipes but sure are somebody doing this.

Quote:

5/27/2008
Net Insight receives order from large North American telecom operator for deployment of a multiservice media network

Stockholm, Sweden - Net Insight, leading developer of efficient and scalable optical transport solutions for media, IP and broadcast networks, has received an order from a large North American telecom operator for deployment of a multiservice media centric transport network, which will serve a large global media group.

The network will carry real-time traffic between sites in USA and Europe for a large global media group. The network will offer high quality transmissions and use Net Insight's high capacity Nimbra 680 switch to deliver uncompressed and compressed High-Definition, Standard-Definition video and Ethernet services.

The new Nimbra 680 switches are equipped with the recently introduced 8 x Video Access and 8 x Gigabit Ethernet Access Modules, delivering an ideal multi-purpose solution for video streams that require a mix of compressed and uncompressed HD and SD content and will allow the customer to integrate IP/Ethernet data with video in his network.

HDM future 8K Television System ÂSuper Hi-vision is the TV technology of our dreams
post #678 of 680 Old 06-25-2008, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Def DVD View Post

I don't know who is upgrading it's pipes but sure are somebody doing this.

Where's the link? What's the source? Your quote only mentions a private high-speed network slated to be used by a single enterprise (coincidentally, almost exactly what studios aka "large media groups" use for digital production a la LOTR), not anything even remotely resembling a consumer product.

post #679 of 680 Old 06-25-2008, 11:37 AM

post #680 of 680 Old 05-17-2009, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrynRhys View Post

What is the status of wearable video glasses? Is that part of the mobile media strategy for the various players?

actually i was looking for video glasses that can be hooked up to my psp, while travelling. so that i could atleast watch a movie without holding the console...

so i stumbled upon the Relaxsee. was a bit hesitant to buy coz of the price... but in fairness, it does play in a lot of media. mp5 players, ipod, psp, even thru xbox!!.. im trying to look for a cheaper one.. there's this itheater, but still need to do some digging and find feedback about those two.
Reply HDTV Software Media Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page