post #541 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

The format war is over guys...get over it. Blu-ray has my full support because if we want HDM to succeed, we need to support the one format that can challenge DVD.

Dave - I 100% completely agree with you and commend you on this post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Sad day for HDM. Warner sides with a game machine laced with DRM, an incomplete profile spec, and expensive discs. Way to go, let's all congratulate ourselves that we'll be getting less choices and higher costs. Yeah....

I hope the paycheck was worth it. As much as anyone dislikes the idea, we were better with competition from both sides.

Sigh...at least there's football to watch and distract me from this mess this weekend.
post #543 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 02:05 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSX600F View Post

FACT!!! the formatwar is official OVER!
Not even the biggest HD DVD fanboy can denie this!

What war?
I have't noticed it.

HDM future 8K Television System ÂSuper Hi-vision is the TV technology of our dreams
post #544 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 02:05 PM

HD-DVD is dead ... there is no niche for a format without studio support.

With Warner Bros. going Blu, Universal and Paramount can't stand on their own. No Dark Knight, no other future Batman release, no future Harry Potter releases, etc. etc. etc. I'm not sure if this means New Line also goes with WB but that could also mean no Lord of the Rings either.

Oh well. At least this whole silly format war business can end.
post #545 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImkSpyPlns View Post

At least finally we can have some peace at AVS. I've been avoiding this place because of the war and all the bickering, but I think it will be much more friendly now.

The crying has only just begun!!!

HD DVD 354ish
Blu Ray 375ish
360 Halo Reach Slim,360 Elite 120GB, MW2 250GB, Halo 3 20GB, RE5 120GB, PS3 Fat 320GB, PS3 Slim 250GB, Wii
HD DVD & Blu Ray players, too many
Money Spent.... Priceless
post #546 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSX600F View Post

FACT!!! the formatwar is official OVER!
Not even the biggest HD DVD fanboy can denie this!

FACT: The hope HDM will ever replace DVD is now over.

HDM = Laserdisc 2008. That was just solidified today.
post #547 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

This thread is a wild fire...

To all those obnoxiously celebrating who aren't dual format (I am) you better not be complaining about where all the BOGO and 50% sales went... cuz much like the format war they are HISTORY!
post #548 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Prices for both hardware and software will drop. They always do. Volume drives prices lower. Competition drives prices lower. New features and improvements lead to older discounted models that do almost as much for far less. (Does anyone really think the BDP-S300 will be $400 next month?)

The anti-consumer posts seem misguided to me.
post #549 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post

Exactly. Can someone EXPLAIN why Kami isn't making perfect sense???? I just don't get those saying they need to sell off their HD-DVD players and movies now....

To recover costs.

Sell today and you may be able to switch formats.. sit on it for a while and you will be stuck with a dead format and having to pay full price to re-enter into the HD market.
post #550 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

They where sold for 1/2 price in most cases.
I guess the HD DVD buy 3 and get 2 free this week was a little late or perhaps a firesale to liqudate assets.

You do know what the letters BOGO mean? Buy ONE. Get ONE. They way they account for it is just a scam that pads BD sales numbers and now HD DVD has started to do the same shenanigans.
post #551 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by superklye View Post

How do DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD 7.1 sound with your PS3? And talk about awesome game selection...

Dolby True HD sounds great as does Uncompressed PCM.

Not too many HD-DVD players with DTS-HD MA either.

And there are some good games. Maybe not as many as your XBox but then that RROD thing has been out for a year longer.

Nice troll though.
post #552 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick.Jagger* View Post

CAN'T YOU GUYS READ!!!!

THE FIRST POSING IN THIS THREAD IS A F-CKING TASTELESS JOKE!!

http://www.highdefdigest.com/pressrelease_totalhd.html
PRESS RELEASE

For Immediate Release

WARNER HOME VIDEO ANNOUNCES CREATION
OF TOTAL HI DEF DISC

Home Video Leader Introduces Single Disc that Plays Both HD DVD
and Blu-ray at Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas

BURBANK, Calif. (Jan. 9, 2007) -- Warner Home Video (WHV), distributor of the largest film library of any studio, today unveiled its groundbreaking "Total Hi Def" disc, which plays the HD DVD format on one side and the Blu-ray Disc format on the other, at a presentation hosted by Warner Bros. Entertainment Chairman and CEO Barry Meyer at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.

"Warner Bros. has a history of embracing and promoting new technologies, from producing the first sound movies to being early pioneers in 1950s television to the creation and proliferation of DVDs," Meyer said. "We understand the benefits to our business -- and to consumers -- that technology affords us."

While consumers rave about the quality of high definition when they see it, a confusing format dilemma will result in slower consumer adoption of HD technology. Until now, consumers have been forced to choose one high-definition format -- not knowing if their favorite titles would be produced in their specific format or how long that specific format would survive.

"The Total Hi Def disc is about giving consumers complete choice, providing creators and artists the greatest possible distribution of their work, and helping retailers thrive in the marketplace," said Kevin Tsujihara, President of Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group. "By eliminating potential apprehension over formats, we believe this new disc could help consumers fully embrace the greatest home entertainment experience available."

If broadly adopted by the industry, the Total Hi Def disc would eliminate consumer confusion by including both formats on a single disc. Tested with leading manufacturers and replicators, the Total Hi Def disc would also simplify point of sale issues for retailers by reducing the shelf space required to carry two versions of the same content.

"The research clearly shows that people are thrilled with high-definition devices and the stunning home entertainment experience they provide," said Ron Sanders, President, Warner Home Video. "Now Total Hi Def provides the complete package with all the benefits of HD DVD and Blu-ray on a single disc.

Warner Bros. announced that discs in Total Hi Def will be available in the second half of 2007, and titles will be announced in a time frame consistent with the company's standard trade announcements for home entertainment titles. The physical structure of the disc is 1.2 mm the same as DVDs, HD DVD and Blu-ray discs. The Total Hi Def disc has the ability to contain both single layer and dual layers for both formats enabling either 15 GB or 30 GB on the HD DVD side and 25 GB or 50 GB on the Blu-ray side.

WTF are you getting at? This is an article from Jan. 9th, 2007. We all know THD was axed later on.
post #553 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 02:06 PM

Well, I now need a combo player that's 2.0 profile and not $1000 so I can watch my 35 HD DVDs.
post #554 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 38
who really cares??? only the die hard fanboys on each side should care. the rest of us just buy hd media when it comes out. Doesn't matter which color.
post #555 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdBetaNews View Post

Wait for Sunday folks. We've been told that HD DVD has a "big" announcement.

If it's a studio, all of a sudden we're back to square one. But I'll say it is.. for HD DVD's sake, it would have to be at this point.

Maybe they'll announce an exclusive with Vivid.
post #556 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 02:06 PM

HD DVD will not survive with two studios. Nothing can help it now short of MS writing the biggest check in the world for Disney, Fox and SONY.

BD has just about caught up feature wise, but BD far surpassed HD DVD long ago on pure HD quality with its higher storage space and datarate. Far more BDs featured lossless audio. This is something low datarate overly compressed crap downloads will not surpass for a LONG LONG LONG time.
post #557 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceberhart View Post

You can still watch movies from 3 of the Major Studios.. LOL until they stop too... hardly effects it at all... LOL NOT !! GAME OVER !!

I suspect that any studio which is contractually obligated to continue HD-DVD production for a time will go into super slow motion. Their sales will be gradually drying up and they will never recoup their transfer/encoding costs. The really smart HD-DVD studios will also begin the process of planning for (on actually beginning) Blu-ray production.
post #558 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb101 View Post

The funny thing is, I think this announcement actually delays my plunge into Hi-Def media. I had been originally holding out for a winner, but lately I was being tempted by the low-priced HD-DVD players (and I don't think I was the only one). Now, Blu-Ray is going to have to get a quality sub-$200 player on the market to bring me into the fold. Any predictions on how long that will take?

So have many. Good luck finding a A2, A3 and even A30 in Canada. SOLD OUT! Everyone and their brother bought them.... Bluray is out of reach of most people right now.. unless they don't already own a gaming console and want a PS3.

I just wish Warner killed the format before the holidays so all those A2s and A3s didn't sell out... not really fair since they obviouslly knew what they were doing before hand.
post #559 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Still wish I hadn't fell into Amazon's "trap" with that "$180 Toshiba HD-A3/10 Free HD DVD offer" of theirs. I'm wondering how many customers like me are gonna whine and complain about news like this?

AVS Forum...The Final Frontier. My continuing mission. To explore strange, new equipment, to seek out new movies and technology. Boldly going where no enthusiast had gone before.
post #560 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 02:07 PM

We can. Apparently, you can't.

"BURBANK, Calif. (Jan. 9, 2007)"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick.Jagger* View Post

CAN'T YOU GUYS READ!!!!

THE FIRST POSING IN THIS THREAD IS A F-CKING TASTELESS JOKE!!

post #561 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm neutral so it didn't bother me, but I'm glad somebody made a decision and got this thing over with.

That being said, bye-bye BOGO and price drops on bluray players?

I'm still hoping for the dts-hd ma and profile 2.0 update for the ps3....this will make it a "complete" player.
post #562 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post

You don't have to replace them. I don't get people who are saying things like this.

I was saying that..If this kills off HD-DVD, then I hope my player doesn't die anytime soon after as the players would eventually no longer be available. Therefore I would have to replace these discs with Blu's. I wasn't saying that I am going out tomorrow and buying BD copies because of this decision. I am not the moron who believes the disc stops working when Warner goes BD. Not your average Joe Deet-Duh-Deet.

"Hey, don't forget smoking lamp...oh I'm sorry, was that expensive piece?"
post #563 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

The format war is over guys...get over it. Blu-ray has my full support because if we want HDM to succeed, we need to support the one format that can challenge DVD.

Well said. If Warner went HD DVD exclusive, I'd be hunting for the best HD DVD player I could find. Heck, I still might for Paramount titles.
post #564 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrustbucket View Post

HDM is over. For me at least.

And I will campaign against adoption of HDM now. Blu ray is far too flawed of a spec to advise anyone I know to purchase.

Direct delivery formats ftw.

Whatever dude. I'll just go back to enjoying my "far too flawed" perfect picture and sound. You let me know when hundreds of movies you want are available as HD downloads.

BTW, why has the "HD-DVD or nothing" crowd suddenly started crowing together about "HD downloads" like its the second coming? Was every HD-DVD owner a Microsoft employee? That would explain a lot, actually...
post #565 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 02:07 PM

I won't be buying Blu-ray any time soon. Blu-ray is still too primitive. I purchased a first generation HD DVD player in May of 2006 which has not faltered once and continues to deliver special features the gorillas at Blu-ray are still trying to figure out. Warner just saved me more money! Thanks!

Now when is Paramount going to release a Star Trek movie in HD?
post #566 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 02:08 PM

It's up to BD to match their prices to DVD now and we'll see were their true face is.
And this means worldwide not U.S. only

HDM future 8K Television System ÂSuper Hi-vision is the TV technology of our dreams
post #567 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valkyrie View Post

Sad day for HDM. Warner sides with a game machine laced with DRM, an incomplete profile spec, and expensive discs. Way to go, let's all congratulate ourselves that we'll be getting less choices and higher costs. Yeah....

I hope the paycheck was worth it. As much as anyone dislikes the idea, we were better with competition from both sides.

Sigh...at least there's football to watch and distract me from this mess this weekend.

Totally disagree with the bolded part. We are not better off with two formats. Two formats mean joe-public stays on the sidelines and BOTH formats die.

If you ask me, one HDM format > no HDM formats at all.
post #568 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

I guess I need to start building that dual-format HTPC now...
post #569 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Dawg View Post

I feel like I am the only person here who hates S0ny with a passion.

No, you're not.
post #570 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

Well, now we know the $99 HD DVD player fire sale was a true FIRE SALE!!

I am sure those who bought feel like chumps now....

Nope. I'm ready to buy at least 2 more, hopefully cheaper than that.

Bittorent + HDDVD9 = my new format of choice.
Closed Thread HDTV Software Media Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page