post #631 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by captclueless View Post

I don't think it necessarily screws the consumer. It just pisses alot of us off.

I only have an HD DVD player right now. Mainly because the price of the player came down to a price I could afford (98 bucks). I haven't bought alot of the movies, but took advantage of the b3g2 offer at best buy last week, cause it was a good deal. I have kind of a tight budget, so I can't spend tons of money on stuff like that right now. So for a consumer like me, I am not going to go out and just drop 300-400 bucks on a blu ray player now.

It basically makes me use my hd dvd player as an upconvert player for now and I can watch the hd dvds that I do have in high def. Until I can afford a blu ray player though, I won't be buying hig def movies.

I am in exactly the same boat. I bought the A-2 during the Wal-Mart sale.I now own a decent upconverting player that will also play the 25 or so HD DVD discs I own. As of now I have no plans of buying any HDM in the near future. Down the road, if and when Blu gets the specs and everything ironed out and prices become more reasonable, maybe I will jump back in. I love HD movies, but not enough to put any more of my hard earned money into it for now. As others have mentioned, I think SD is the big winner in all of this. It just makes me sad.

"There's gotta be some way to hook it up, it's the freakin' future" - Eric Cartman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captclueless View Post

I don't think it necessarily screws the consumer. It just pisses alot of us off.

I only have an HD DVD player right now. Mainly because the price of the player came down to a price I could afford (98 bucks). I haven't bought alot of the movies, but took advantage of the b3g2 offer at best buy last week, cause it was a good deal. I have kind of a tight budget, so I can't spend tons of money on stuff like that right now. So for a consumer like me, I am not going to go out and just drop 300-400 bucks on a blu ray player now.

It basically makes me use my hd dvd player as an upconvert player for now and I can watch the hd dvds that I do have in high def. Until I can afford a blu ray player though, I won't be buying hig def movies.

I'm not pissed off. I'll still buy HD DVD media until they stop making it. I mean, my A2 is not going to stop working. Plus my A2 upconverts SD quite well. I was thinking of going purple too at some point. But I'm on a budget too. So it will be some time. So I'll just buy SD titles again. Because I've got more important things in my life I need to worry about than this.

"We're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time"
post #633 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

With all due respect I'll believe it if and when it's announced at CES.
post #634 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by underdog57 View Post

Boycot !!

I will boycott but not purposely. My DVD purchases were down to 0 for many many many many many months before getting my HD-DVD player. It caused me to get back into the purchasing game... I bought about 60 titles... You can't get that kind of quality on DVD-Rs.

Now that Warner killed my format (hehe), It's back to ZERO movie purchases again.

-1 customer for all media.
post #635 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 02:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjam View Post

Darn! I'm going to need a BD 2.0 Player that costs under $300. Anyone hear of one of these yet?

You've told us before that you have enough money to be able to buy a 3 chip DLP, so why are you playing this game now? You claimed elsewhere that you would support whichever side Warner chose, right? Were you lying (or is the "a.k.a. rdjam" for HD NOW a lie)?

And BTW: The 40GB PS3 is $399. I realize that some people care less about quality than in keeping out any player which can also do other things (like play games), but the PS3 is one of the best high definition players out there on either format, IMO.

--Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
post #636 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Good!

So Far... So Good... So What!
Unlock Your Samsung PNxxD550 series 5 plasma to achieve Expert 10 point Calibration and Expert Patterns. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1339743
post #637 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by valkyrie View Post

Sad day for HDM. Warner sides with a game machine laced with DRM, an incomplete profile spec, and expensive discs. Way to go, let's all congratulate ourselves that we'll be getting less choices and higher costs. Yeah....

I hope the paycheck was worth it. As much as anyone dislikes the idea, we were better with competition from both sides.

Sigh...at least there's football to watch and distract me from this mess this weekend.

Get over it man...

profile 1.1 (on 95% of shipping Blu-ray players in the form of the PS3, plus the Samsung universal player, the Panasonic, and any new player introduced from now on) does everything that HD-DVD does except internet connectivity.

That said, the first time I put Transformers in my HD-DVD player and it locked up trying to 'update' itself in front of 10 people anxiously awaiting HD Optimus Prime I decided that "web enabled" was just a gimmick to suck in easily amused people.

As for DRM - you do know that Blu-ray and HD-DVD share the same core DRM scheme, right? AACS is the standard on both types of discs.

Blu-ray adds BD+, sure... but saying that BD+ makes Blu-ray "DRM laced" is like saying that we both got shot in the head, but I got shot twice so I'm twice as dead as you...

Besides, both AACS and BD+ are circumventable so the net effect is that neither have DRM on them for those resourceful enough to use Google.
post #638 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 02:16 PM
vsv
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrexx View Post

WTF are you getting at? This is an article from Jan. 9th, 2007. We all know THD was axed later on.

This only mean: kosher HDM news from WB every year
In januar 2009 WB will be again on the HDDVD side
post #639 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WirelessGuru View Post

BTW... great job to all the Americans and American based companies that are handing a big chunk of revenue over to the Japanese. Remember that when your 401k's drop later next year.

as opposed to who, toshiba? they're japanese too...

---Mr. Met---

J-E-T-S-JETS JETS JETS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO DE-VILS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO METS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO NETS!!!!!!!
post #640 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 02:17 PM

Typical Blu-ray fan: "Thank GOD! Turns out I haven't been over paying for the same quality as HD DVD for nothing!"
post #641 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 02:17 PM

What if Disney announces neutrality?

HDM future 8K Television System ÂSuper Hi-vision is the TV technology of our dreams
post #642 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 02:17 PM

This post is funny in the sense that I actually tried to read from post 1 all the way..but I cant read as fast as they are getting posted so I skipped to the end. Opinion: if you didn't go format neutral, you didn't plan correctly. Format neutral was the way to go....BOGO's on boths sides and you are ALWAYS having HD content available. I like what an earlier post said....IF HD-DVD goes dead..then I can't want for the firesale.

---HDM and cheap prices supporter

"You ever take a crap so big, your pants fit better?"

-Ron White
post #643 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 02:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald Trent View Post

With all due respect I'll believe it if and when it's announced at CES.

Since it's currently on Warners press page I believe it now...
post #644 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 02:17 PM
Advanced Member

Wow! Well, that's that, HD DVD's done. Good thing I got a PS3 for Christmas!

I kinda like how my A20 upconverts more than my PS3, so it ain't going anywhere, even after HD DVDs are no longer around. Which won't be for a while, still, anyway. Probably another year?

If I wasn't into home theater, I'd have a whole lotta money.
post #645 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViD Boulet View Post

Yeah, a niche with less bandwidth and less bit-space than the mass-adopted format it will coexist with.

usually "niche" products offer a superior-quality experience. In the case of HD DVD as a "niche", that's true in regards to DVD, but not BD.

Exactly David.... There is no need for HD DVD at this point. It's bleeding profusely and there is no help in sight.

HA HA MSFT you failed....
post #646 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ain't over yet. The curious thing about this is that Warner Bros is waiting to actually do this until the end of the year. Why not starting today? Because they are giving HD-DVD a chance.

Did you read the article or press release??? They are only releasing HD DVDs until May. And they are releasing those AFTER the BD and DVD release. They aren't giving HD DVD a chance, they are being more cosumer friendly than Paramount.

Be a Reality fanboy.
post #647 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornillo View Post

I don't know but I'm much interested in a combo player than I am a br stand alone. More interested than when I got up this morning.

Me, too. But it better be damned cheap or no BR for me for a year or two.
post #648 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

I can't say i didn't see this coming. I guess it's off to buy a PS3.
post #649 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Ain't over yet. The curious thing about this is that Warner Bros is waiting to actually do this until the end of the year. Why not starting today? Because they are giving HD-DVD a chance.

They are NOT waiting until the end of the year; they ARE waiting until March 2008 because they likely still have warehouses full of stamped HD-DVD discs to sell.
post #650 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dildatonr View Post

So does this also mean New Line goes along with Warner?

More like Warner went with New Line.
post #651 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 02:18 PM

After repeatedly trying for the last three decades, the Japanese company has finally hijacked America's number 1 export.

Not to mention a large piece of their culture.
post #652 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrustbucket View Post

FACT: The hope HDM will ever replace DVD is now over.

HDM = Laserdisc 2008. That was just solidified today.

That'e the fifth "HDM cannot survive on blu-ray" post from thrustbucket in 15 minutes!

You're raving like a lunatic. Your position has no argument in its favor. Take your ball and go home already!
post #653 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 02:18 PM

Well now I officially know which format I need to save up my money to buy into...phew!

Thanks Warner!!
post #654 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

I still don't get this undying loyalty to a brand... strange. I understand that they are still fighting DVD but that does not mean we will ever see BOGO sales again. This isn't something to cheer about, you guys have gotten so caught up in this you feel you have an emotional attachment. Well I am fine with BR and I did just get a Harry Potter 1-4 on Blu Ray for $39 with Amazon's BOGO... ah those were the days :-)
post #655 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojhawks View Post

As of now I have no plans of buying any HDM in the near future. Down the road, if and when Blu gets the specs and everything ironed out and prices become more reasonable, maybe I will jump back in. I love HD movies, but not enough to put any more of my hard earned money into it for now.

I just realized. I'll be saving hundreds of dollars per month now! Sweet. Thank's Warner!
post #656 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 02:19 PM

This is great news for Blu Ray. As a BD supporter I am extremely happy with the decision of WB but I take no enjoyment in HD-DVD fans loosing out. As BD fans we should be encouraging HD-fans to get on board and support HDM. They will not be disappointed. I hope Universal jump ship soon and finish this as soon as possible and then the real war with DVD can commence. After all HDM is what we all want not DVD.
post #657 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnorris View Post

Yep, keep the HD DVD until a BD version shows up on Half for $5 or something. I have about 60 HD DVD and a XA2 that I plan on keeping. I'll still buy new HD DVD's too from Uni and Paramount.

All this announcement makes me want to do is pony up for a new receiver to take full advantage of the audio on my BD30.

In a way I hope everyone floods Half/Amazon/E-Bay with red cases. There are tons of movies I would like to grab for $5-$10.

Hell yeah, exactly. And seriously...you people think that Toshiba isn't going to have a Blu-ray player eventually and that THEY wouldn't put an HD DVD laser in there? If we can have DVD-A and SACD on the same player now, why the hell WOULDN'T we have HD DVD/BD on the same player in the future?

"IBTL" isn't cute, funny or original.

Also: you couldn't care less and purposes are NOT intensive. For all intents and purposes if you don't know these things, you probably shouldn't use them.
post #658 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin1001 View Post

Region encoding.. hmm not a single of my Blu-Ray discs have that, or i wouldn´t be able to play them :-)

??? I have absolutely NO idea what you're talking about. I have umpteen Region-1-coded DVDs that play fine in my Region 1 DVD player... but if I ever wanted something from across the pond... well guess what?

Quote:
DRM? yes like every DVD has had since they were made..

DVD never had ANYTHING like BD+, which has a HUGE potential for imposing abusive DRM on consumers.
Oh, not that something like single-device locking would ever be used... I'm sure it's just there as a talking point.

Quote:
Unfinished spec? Both formats have their issues, that is a FACT!

What spec-related "issues" does HD DVD have? Let's talk about profile 1.1 and pre-October 2007 hardware incompatibility, shall we?

Quote:
Slow load times? Not on my PS3, and i´m sure we can find a slow HD-DVD player as well.

Well, none of my HD DVDs have load times greater than 35 seconds, and my A2 boots in 28 seconds. OTOH, I was at BB while a blue-shirt was trying to demo a Fantastic4 BD. 3 minutes and 24 seconds to get to the bloody movie.

Oh, and I have absolutlely NO intention of buying a game machine that won't even fit on the same shelf with my other normal horizontally-oriented components... what a crock.

Quote:
Since you might have to give in to your love for movies (that is why you are here?) maybe you should start checking up on the facts instead of the "myths" and get ready for you first Blu-Ray player.. it´s actually not bad at all :-)

Well, I do have a love for movies. But when I buy one, I expect to be able to use it wherever, whenever, and however I want, thank you very much. As a computer professional that spent over two weeks undoing the damage that Sony's rootkit plant caused, there's no way in Hell I would trust them to do ANYTHING in the consumer's interest.

"War is Peace; Freedom is Slavery; Ignorance is Strength; Blu-ray is Better."
post #659 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigW View Post

HD DVDs advantage was it was first to market and its feature set was more complete.

BD was able to beat them on pure quality and PS3 helped some

Now that the feature set has caught up and the PS3 is looking like a fairly future proof device as far as BD is concerned, BD is the way to go and the PS3 is your best option.

No. The first part yes. The PS3 was the ONLY reason Blu Ray was able to survive and grow. Quality had nothing to do with it. Messed up specs, overpriced, etc. It wasn't pretty but in the end Sony, which was criticized relentlessly by the lamestream tech press about their inclusion of a blu ray player in the PS3, that that has proved to be the definitive reason for Blu Ray's success. It has nothing to do with Blu Ray's "pure quality". Sony learn't from the last time they took Toshiba on in the last dvd war and lost. So maybe all those yoyos who criticized Sony for the Blu Ray-PS3 connection should go back to more menial tasks like predicting the weather tomorrow and leave high tech predictions to others.
post #660 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

Anybody want to buy a slightly used A2 and about 34 HD DVD's?

Does your A2 not work anymore?

"We're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time"
Closed Thread HDTV Software Media Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page