post #721 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrustbucket View Post

I never said HDM Can't survive on bluray. I'm trying to say that HDM has always been, and is now more than ever, niche.

I am sure the PS3 format, er... blu ray, will do quite well as a niche movie product, but it will never overtake DVD.

I personally will not be supporting the PS3 format (you all know that's exactly what this is), I'll wait for something better to come down the pipe and digital distribution to mature.

You'll be waiting a while. Blu-ray was designed by the BDA to last for 10-15 years. Digital isn't coming close to Blu-ray quality or convenience for at least 5.

Have fun, cave person.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 02:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald Trent View Post

With all due respect I'll believe it if and when it's announced at CES.

(*Nelson pointing to the Warner website for confirmation)

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #723 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jling84 View Post

Wow seriously people need to stop with the sour grapes as well as the gloating. This is a forum for adults, act accordingly.

There'd be a lot less of both if this forum hadn't been deleting anything moderately pro-Blu for the last year or more. I agree, however, it's time to move on. HD-DVD has one foot in the grave and the other on Bill Gates' greasy little head.
post #724 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 02:26 PM

Liked: 11
"This is great news for Blu Ray. As a BD supporter I am extremely happy with the decision of WB but I take no enjoyment in HD-DVD fans loosing out. As BD fans we should be encouraging HD-fans to get on board and support HDM. They will not be disappointed. I hope Universal jump ship soon and finish this as soon as possible and then the real war with DVD can commence. After all HDM is what we all want not DVD."

You are right. Welcome come join us, we can all be friends and watch Blu-Ray movies together.
post #725 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by WirelessGuru View Post
BTW... great job to all the Americans and American based companies that are handing a big chunk of revenue over to the Japanese. Remember that when your 401k's drop later next year.

Toshiba's an American company?

Last I heard it was the HD DVD people chanting "just wait for those cheap Chinese players!"

My opinions do not reflect the policies of my company
post #726 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSimplePanda View Post

Since it's currently on Warners press page I believe it now...

And it also showing up on legit news sites.

HD DVD is done. Paramount and Universal are the odd man out. Paramount sure looks stupid don't they.

They were banking BD fans would also buy an HD DVD player for Tranformers. Strike one. Shrek the Third... who cares about Shrek anymore? Strike two. But we have Bourne... Strike three. Warner could see HD DVD was losing ground regularly. I think Sony hit one out of the park with the $399 PS3.

The thing that PO'd me the whole time was how the HD DVD camp kept trying to spin the numbers to minimize what PS3 was doing to the HDM market. All in all, after PS3 was release BD won every week sales wise in 2007 and there is no question with this announcement that BD won 2008 with one single shot from the studio that held the key to end this quickly.

Disney is far to enamored with BD to switch. This is the only studio that could save HD DVD at this point, but I am sure Disney realizes like Warner, mass adoption needs one format and they choose BD.
post #727 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_weasel View Post

Please don't pontificate about things you don't understand. International trade is a good thing, plain and simple.

Yes it is, as long as it isn't tainted by nationalistic mercantilism via tariffs, currency manipulation and nationally owned and subsidized "strategic industries", which kinda' puts a caveat on virtually every US trading partner. Hmm, wierd how that works . . . .
post #728 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post

Isn't the press release from warner's website good enough? What magic fairy dust gets sprinkled in Vegas to make every thing official?

Do you really want to ask that question?
post #729 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msantti View Post

They based it on how much Paramount got paid.

Source?

Quote:

Except now that the Paramount decision was more of a money grab and the Warner decision just good business sense.

Typical BD fanboy logic. Bad when the other guy does it, fine when your guy does it.
post #730 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
3 years from now when all we can buy are single layer 25Gb mpeg2 encoded BD we can all reminisce about the good old dual format days.

digital film janitor
post #731 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skogan View Post

Did Blu-ray win again?

If it's January, then you know Blu-ray won again.

PSN/XBL: bassmonkeee
Wii number: Who cares?
post #732 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsaber View Post

I think there will still be BOGOs, but not as many. Remember SD DVD has a really large majority of sales PERIOD. They will still do BOGOs to get people to buy.

That's how I see it.. if and when HD-DVD dies, just because there isn't a competing HD format against Blu-ray doesn't mean there won't be more sales.. For HDM to grow, prices will eventually have to drop.
post #733 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainier2 View Post

All the Blu-Ray supporters here (13 year old PS3 owners) should be happy their game console will quite possibly the format war. Zitty teenage gamers (ZTG) rejoice! Even though they might not even own a HDTV yet, it's all important for their fanboy egos that their game console finally caught a break.

Luckily, I only got a HD-DVD player cause it was $99... So I didn't invest too much. It was a crazy ride that has the possibility of getting even crazier if HD-DVD group announces something... or it could just be the end.

**37 year old cameraman that invested in PS3 only and saw the writing on the wall a year ago...**
post #734 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 02:27 PM

Son of a monkey's uncle. well, i guess i need to start saving for a ps3 now. i was really looking forward to I am Legend, but may of 08 is cutting it close for getting that one on hd-dvd. man, i was not a hd-dvd loyalist, it was just the cheapest way for me to get into HDM. this announcement just sucks because it is going to make me spend more money sooner than i expected. dang you warner!!!

Beauty, thy name is KURO.
post #735 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 02:27 PM

Whew!

Good thing I only purchased a cheap HD-A2 when Universal did the switch, and I only own a single HD-DVD (Led Zeppelin's concert film... the blu-ray version which I also own has a glitch). One HD-DVD amongst my 100 blu-rays.... heh heh.

However, in retrospect, this format war has been good for blu-ray. I doubt we would have had the amazing 96KHz/24 bit blu-ray releases, or the extremely fast firmware updates from Sony if they hadnt been feeling the pressure. Also, the prices would probably have been much, much higher had there been no format war. And the HD-DVD camp really forced Sony to come with more features just to keep up. Fact is, the first blu-rays sucked, and the HD-DVD software was simply better. However, the bottom line is that HD-DVD does not have the bandwidth for truly amazing movies and soundtracks! Maybe most HD-DVD releases were better than most blu-ray releases, but the very very best blu-rays completely blow the very very best hd-dvds out the water!

In the end, I am stuck with some hardware (The HD-A2) that will be soon obsolete, and one HD-DVD that will be obsolete when my A2 dies, but so what.... It can join my laser disk player! I have no regrets.

I also dont understand how anyone could not see this coming. Bandwidth will always win! And hd downloads ain't going to cut it, until we have reliable 100Mbps pipes into our houses. Compressed video and audio is not good enough!
post #736 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 61
Crazy news.

I sure hope Universal starts releasing on blu now. I'll continue to watch my hd dvds but I'm not so sure I want to keep buying them.
post #737 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26hl67newbie View Post

in the words of Homer Simpson, "d'oh"

This certainly is suboptimal (for me anyways despite an investment of only about $250-300). However, maybe it is for the best. If HD DVD would have won i would have just replaced most of my dvds (this move could have saved me thousands). That being said i will not support Blu-Ray ever (i took my one shot based off of the perceived economics of stand-alone players and my perception of what was more mass market ready). i just never realized that essentially the PS3 was the only thing that mattered in this "war" (without PS3 the roles would be clearly reversed - amazing how a feature most people didn't want on one device may have saved a format. i guess being a disappointment as a video game console really helped its case). Will Blu-Ray ever get over the stigma of being "the PS3 format?" i doubt it, and its long term survivability (at anything more than niche - big niche maybe). Now it it just a waiting game for digital distribution to get its act together.

I wish you would look back 10 years ago.

The PS2 was the prime reason why DVD took off over VHS. The gaming industry is bigger than Hollywood and so it shouldn't seem strange to see it pushing Hollywood's future formats around a bit. I know people don't like to give props to Sony, but they saw how big gaming would get and simply took their movie investments and merged the two. It was called genius then, and it's genius now.

post #738 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
I'm not sure about allegations of a Warner cash payoff, but there was one obvious payoff in the form of a new job at Sony Pictures that was created for WB Chief Technology Officer Chris Cookson.

Sony created a new position for Cookson, naming him President of Sony Pictures Technologies.

http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6516413.html
post #739 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

can you explain these aimless posts every page?
post #740 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 02:28 PM

I bought an HD-A1 about 18 months ago.

Only bought three movies.

But I've rented dozens of titles from Netflix.

I was always a big HD-DVD supporter. I just thought it was the technology that made the most sense. But I am not the kind of person who watches a movie more than once (at least not more than once every 5 or 10 years).

Obviously I don't have as much invested in media as others, but like some others here I too think that this is a good thing in the end as we have a winner and now we can all (hopefully) get behind one "standard" even if it wasn't our first choice.

I hate to see Sony win, but I am glad to have some closure to this.

Command3808 is free software (with source code) that lets you control your Denon 3808CI and 4308CI via the telnet protocol.
post #741 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 02:28 PM

Quote:

That's fine, but they won't miss you, as the millions of people who aren't early adopters will be able to purchase with confidence now (especially after several B&M stores go BD exclusive, probably starting next weeK), so they won't miss your money.

Umm, dude, B&M stores don't move that quickly. They won't move to an exclusive format until one of two things happen:

1) The BDA gives the store lots of money to do so
2) HD-DVD is officially discontinued

Until one of those two things happens, you will still be able to find HD-DVD in B&M stores.
post #742 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainier2 View Post

All the Blu-Ray supporters here (13 year old PS3 owners) should be happy their game console will quite possibly the format war. Zitty teenage gamers (ZTG) rejoice! Even though they might not even own a HDTV yet, it's all important for their fanboy egos that their game console finally caught a break.

Luckily, I only got a HD-DVD player cause it was $99... So I didn't invest too much. It was a crazy ride that has the possibility of getting even crazier if HD-DVD group announces something... or it could just be the end.

The sour grapes makes this all the more amusing.

R.I.P. hd dvd 2/19/2008

Blu-ray is bigger than just Sony.
post #743 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYFOOTBALLGIANTS View Post

I still don't get this undying loyalty to a brand... strange. I understand that they are still fighting DVD but that does not mean we will ever see BOGO sales again. This isn't something to cheer about, you guys have gotten so caught up in this you feel you have an emotional attachment. Well I am fine with BR and I did just get a Harry Potter 1-4 on Blu Ray for $39 with Amazon's BOGO... ah those were the days :-)

Yeah, really. I don't understand the attachment that many people here seem to have to one format or another. It robs them of their ability to make an objective analysis of the situation, thus all the "OMG format war is over, Blu-Ray wins!" posts. There's a long way to go yet until we're at one format, and it might not be either Blu-Ray or HD-DVD.

I also don't understand everyone jumping ship on HD-DVD. Does this make HD-DVD movies less good? The investment to go format neutral is relatively small and no matter what happens in the future you'll still be able to watch all of those movies for as long as you own the player and they'll be every bit as good as any other current HDM release.
post #744 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 02:28 PM

Man the only thing ticking me off right now, is that I can't read faster than this thread is expanding. 8)

"We're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time"
post #745 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2 View Post

What are you talking about? If HDM, it is HD DVD that has much more of a bandwidth problem, since they choose much lower bandwidth limits.

--Darin

Downloding services on internet by all the studios, they all have this i believe.

HDM future 8K Television System ÂSuper Hi-vision is the TV technology of our dreams
post #746 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmonkeee View Post

ROFLMFAO!!!

"War is Peace; Freedom is Slavery; Ignorance is Strength; Blu-ray is Better."
post #747 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigW View Post

The thing that PO'd me the whole time was how the HD DVD camp kept trying to spin the numbers to minimize what PS3 was doing to the HDM market. All in all, after PS3 was release BD won every week sales wise in 2007 and there is no question with this announcement that BD won 2009 with one single shot from the studio that held the key to end this quickly.

Amusingly, the PS3 sold pretty 'poorly' for the first year until the $399/40GB model was introduced.

If 200,000 PS3's a month in the US in year #1 can make Blu-ray the week over week winning format, what does everyone think 300,000 per week at the new price point will do?
post #748 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 02:28 PM

the denial from the hd-dvd camp on this forum is really astounding. Analysts have pointed out that which ever camp Warner is joining will mean the demise of the opposing camp.

The war is over. Let's stop with the denials and start with the adopting of a new format.

I'm format neutral by the way, owning an XA2 and 10 hd-dvd titles.
post #749 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_weasel View Post

Please don't pontificate about things you don't understand. International trade is a good thing, plain and simple.

Umm... it depends. It's not always a good thing. You shouldn't proclaim I don't know what I am talking about, and then make such a broad and ignorant statement of your own. I already admitted my ignorance in saying America would suffer from Japanese gain over Chinese gain.

Last Watched 3D: Oz the Great and Powerful

It should be called Violet-Ray

post #750 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSimplePanda View Post

You'll be waiting a while. Blu-ray was designed by the BDA to last for 10-15 years. Digital isn't coming close to Blu-ray quality or convenience for at least 5.

Have fun, cave person.

So you've seen stuff available now, like VuDu, and compared side by side already?

Man, I want your job.
Closed Thread HDTV Software Media Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page