Warner to go Blu-ray Exclusive [Confirmed] - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #181 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 01:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I can't believe that this won't end the war.

I never expected to hear before CES.

Unbelievable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
"Consumers have clearly chosen Blu-ray, and we believe that recognizing this preference is the right step in making this great home entertainment experience accessible to the widest possible audience." -What bullsh*t.

Read: The BR group offered more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ than Toshiba. It works both ways!

Warners goes BR exclusive even though The Matrix/Batman Begins STILL aren't on BR due to its limitations.

And, consumers have clearly chosen SD DVD so far. With 2 or 3 percent of the shiny disc market, consumers don't care about HDM.................yet. And WB going exclusive won't change that..................for a long time.

Universal's future stance is going to be the true determing factor, IMO.

And, apparently, game consoles (re: PS3) DO matter to Warner Bros afterall since without the PS3, Warners would have announced HD DVD exclusivity today instead!

Congrats Warners and BR!!!
post #183 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhtom View Post

You think that Toshiba player will last forever? Now, I wouldn't sell everything I had, but eventually will you have to re-buy everything. And why in the world would any company invest in dual-format players?

It's not like Universal and Paramount are all of the sudden releasing on blu as well. There are many people like myself that would purchase the dual format player.
post #184 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

Being format neutral this does not affect me in the least bit, but it is nonetheless surprising when you consider they have only released certain titles (The Matrix, batman begins etc.) on HD DVD so far.
post #185 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 01:21 PM

Yeah, bring on the new SACDs ...... wait wrong war and wrong thread .
post #186 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 01:21 PM

After purchasing the A2 at the November Wal-Mart $98.00 sale and since then dropping around $ 150 bucks for several movies, I can honestly say that I'm done with Hi-Def of any kind for the near future.

Although I'm 75 % certain that Blu-Ray will probably survive and eventually replace SD DVDs, there's NO WAY IN HELL I'm going to now spend more of my hard earned jack on another format whose future is not certain either (again I think it will succeed but am not willing to bet on it).

I am now the "proud" owner of an RCA Videodisk player circa 1981, a Betamax, numerous VHS players, and a Pioneer Laser player. I believe I have a slightly higher income than most people although I consider myself to be solidly middle class (meaning I have only a finite amount of disposable income). While I do not hold this against Sony (or Toshiba, for that matter) for it was my semi-informed decision to go with HD DVD, when it comes to new technology (and I think I speak for the overwhelming majority of consumers):
I QUIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #187 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhtom View Post

You think that Toshiba player will last forever? Now, I wouldn't sell everything I had, but eventually will you have to re-buy everything. And why in the world would any company invest in dual-format players?

Because there are DVD-A/SACD combo players, VHS/DVD combo players out and lord, almighty...some of them even play DivX/Xvid files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctiq21 View Post

It's not like Universal and Paramount are all of the sudden releasing on blu as well. There are many people like myself that would purchase the dual format player.

Exactly. I'm not buying a BD player anytime soon and I'm certainly not going to stop buying HD DVDs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamus View Post

Who in there right mind is going to make another dual format player?

Well, considering how brain dead Sony is when it comes to giving consumers what they want, I won't expect anything from them, that's for sure. But it's not like Universal and Paramount are going to be producing Blu-ray exlusively starting Monday. And there's still 5 full months of Warner HD DVD support coming. HD DVD isn't going anywhere for a long time and if BD wants to win over any of the customers Warner just screwed over from this holiday season, they better make damn sure there are dual format players out.

"IBTL" isn't cute, funny or original.

Also: you couldn't care less and purposes are NOT intensive. For all intents and purposes if you don't know these things, you probably shouldn't use them.
post #188 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by superklye View Post

Why not keep the discs you already have and oh, I dunno, enjoy them until a dual-format player comes down to a reasonable price?

Who in there right mind is going to make another dual format player?
post #189 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

You can't talk about winning the way and challenging DVD when Blu Ray hasn't even finalized the specs! When you can go out and buy a fully functional Blu Ray player then you can talk about winning the war.

Onkyo 605 - Pioneer Pro-730HD - HD-XA2
XBL: Degenerazn
PSN: Degenerazn
Wii: 8392 0559 3275 9767
post #190 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctiq21 View Post

It's not like Universal and Paramount are all of the sudden releasing on blu as well.

They need to. This is a big boy game, and HD DVD has for all intents and purposes lost.
post #191 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vurbano View Post

Giving away discs is not "selling"

Are you that demented that you have convinced yourself it was just because of give aways??? HD DVD had give aways too... blu has more players... more customers... sells more movies.. you need to get on medication or something lol
post #192 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 01:22 PM

I still won't buy a blu-ray player. I won't spend more than $100 for half finished inferior beta technology backed by a company the likes of Sony.

Time to move on to direct downloads now I guess. Anyone know a good deal on Vudu players?
post #193 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

The next few months should be interesting. Given all of the press releases people have pointed out, it seems the average consumer may be hearing about this in the net week. I know it seemed there was a bump in HD DVD sales when Paramount made their announcement, and I guess we should see something similar to the BD side with this one. I do find it interesting that Warner's time frame for stopping HD DVD support seems less abrupt than what Paramount did.

While I don't think this move alone makes BD the absolute winner, I do think it makes it a sure thing that HD DVD will never be the dominant format. As the press release says, I think it's important for HD DVD exclusive companies to start adopting BD sooner than later to get more people to buy in to HD. Universal holding out until the end of this year, won't do them or the consumers any good.
post #194 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

I am neutral and my XA1 will continue to play my current HD DVD's and is an awesome SD DVD upconverting player. But future purchases will purely be Blu for me. ( with a few exceptions I'm sure)
post #195 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 01:23 PM

This is indeed a great day. Let the war be over already.

I wonder if Paramount/Dreamworks will be bound to release on HD DVD through the end of their 18-month contract. And will Universal now jump ship?
post #196 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by briankmonkey View Post

Fantastic news! I hope Paramount comes back to blu-ray soon.

I asked earlier, but how could they go back without a breach of contract? It seems it might cost them more to break a contract? Or do you think there was an exit clause?
post #197 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 01:23 PM

I guess this is why I'm never going to receive my HD DVD Ocean's Trilogy I preordered in september I'm neutral but have always been partial to HD-DVD so this is a blow to me. My morale is low. I watch more BR movies lately than HD-DVD, but HD-DVD is what got me started. Feels like my baby of sorts. I told myself I'd buy all neutral discs on HD-DVD when I went neutral, looks like there arent any options now. Sucks.

Purple people, R.I.P.

We'll see what happens with Universal and Paramount. This is really quite shocking. It really could be over.

l Toshiba HD-A3 l SONY BDP-S300 l

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #198 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I guess I am going to wait until the next *big* thing. I don't have anymore rack space and I've got a heavy investment in HD-DVD so I am going to wait until the war is truly over, i.e., Toshiba throws in the towel.
post #199 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Engadget is also saying that "quite a sum" was paid out to Warner in order to make the switch... kinda funny after so many people complained about Microsoft paying out Paramount. But now that the BDA did it, I'm sure it's A-OK in their books.
post #200 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

I actually think this hurts hi-def media as a whole. What about the tons of people who bought cheap A2's and A3's? Are they going to now get Blu-ray players, no. They are going to buy SD-DVD's instead. The conversion to high-def was difficult enough for some people, now they'll possibly have to switch hi-def formats too ??

Making the most out of what I got.
post #201 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Doesn't bother me since I have and use both formats, but it's good to finally see some light at what might be the end of this tunnel.

With only one format (and this decision clearly pushes it in that direction) HDM definitely has a chance to take a foothold. No competition amongst themselves, only competing with old DVD.

Good news.
post #202 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 01:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

Warner said it would continue releasing in the HD DVD format until the end of May, although those releases would follow the standard DVD and Blu-ray releases.

Hmmmmmmmmm that doesn't sound so exclusive to me.

I am neutral, but HD DVDs overall are much better in PQ and SQ than Blu Ray. I was lucky to pick up a player for a song, well really for a movie. So I can wait it out. And there are about 400 HD DVDs that I don't own yet so if a fire sale comes along, I will get some gasoline to pour on it.

Jerry the HT Nut
post #203 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 01:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 77
Congrats to BD. Looks like I return my HDA2 to Costco, buy cheapest PS3 I can and put my HDA1 into service to watch my HD DVD movies.

For anyone who thinks this isn't the HD DVD death knell, I'm sorry to say that it is.
post #204 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paden-Blu View Post

OUTSTANDING news!!! Now maybe we can all get along and move on with life. There is one winner here, the consumer! HD-DVD is now dead.

Monopolies don't benefit the consumer. Being format neutral I can see how this could end the war... but start to think about some of the ramifications this would pose if HD DVD officially stopped being produced and the "war" was over. Perhaps less confusion, but that does not make people go out and buy a Blu-Ray player which is now twice as expensive as it rightfully should be because there is no competition. HD DVD gone is not going to make prices drop or movies come out any faster. HD DVD gone is not going to make the Blu-ray specs improve in any way shape or form.

liberate your mind- perspective is important.

highdef junkie.
post #205 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 01:23 PM

I have no plans any time soon - maybe never - to buy a bluray player. High prices and unsettled technology -- no thanks. I will be perfectly happy with buying DVD and upconvering on my A1.
post #206 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 01:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 54
The HD-A3 is currently #5 in electronics on Amazon. I wonder what will happen with that ranking over the next week or so (although they might get rid of the special with 10 free discs, which would naturally lower sales). I'm also wondering if Best Buy and other stores will get a lot of returns of players that were purchased over the holidays and are still within the return window.

--Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
post #207 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

guys lets just hear what hd-dvd says on sunday... i mean this is major but its still not done yet

2011 SUPERBOWL CHAMPIONS- New York Giants!!!

Gamertag: GENERAL CUPKAKE
post #208 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 01:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 77
On the bright side though, it's relatively inexpensive down the road for any BD player to play HD DVD discs as a legacy support thing, so I don't think our libraries will become unplayable.
post #209 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 01:24 PM

man that what I just need right now

kick me when I am down.
post #210 of 4258 Old 01-04-2008, 01:24 PM

...but thankfully I am neutral in hardware at least.

There really is positives and negatives to the end of this format war (although this news may not be the end), lets just hope the positives are more consumer focused as opposed to corporate (i.e. movie prices, promotions, increase in titles INCLUDING catalogue, audio formats...).

Them: I could hardly tell the difference between HiDef and standard definition on my 27" LCD...
Me: Hmmmmm, wonder why that is... (sarcasm)
Closed Thread HDTV Software Media Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page