Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 322 Old 01-04-2008, 08:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILJG View Post

Agreed. I'm also curious to see what plays out at CES. I think if those studios were to release an aggressive (yet feasible) schedule of good catalog titles in conjunction with same-day titles, they'd prove they're serious about sticking around.

Well, so far they just cancelled Lust, Caution from the February Release list for HD DVD.

All your base are belong to us
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 322 Old 01-04-2008, 08:45 PM

I think the force that they see is Blu will be too strong at this point for them to deal with HD DVD.
post #93 of 322 Old 01-04-2008, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ79 View Post

Remember, Blu-ray may have just won the HD war today, but only HD-DVD could have replaced regular DVD quickly.

Not related to the topic here, move along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBlacklow View Post

That's why I said by Q3. As in, by the time it starts.

Well that's funny, Q3 starts in July, and a month earlier there wont be more HDDVD release by WB, so no it ends in Q2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelo913 View Post

Warner going BD only has only prolonged the WAR and given DVD a win.

...Angelo

Yeah well, HDDVD didn't help at all did they. Only time will tell.

And i predict the next studio will be Universal together with Weinstein. Para will follow next year.

Blu ray.
post #94 of 322 Old 01-04-2008, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favelle View Post

Would YOU enjoy 5 movies of a 7-movie franchise on one format and the last 2 on another?? Would they have sold ANY HD DVD HP's if they announced this deal before they went on sale??

Good grief, use your brain. Of course they will still play. That's not the observation here.

Then you've not been screwed...unless you had a promise in your box that Warner would not dump HDDVD you got exactly what you paid for...and thus their obligation on that transaction is fulfilled.
post #95 of 322 Old 01-04-2008, 11:20 PM
Advanced Member

Honestly, I suspect that Weinstein will come over next. Then Universal will go neutral in short order.

At that point, if the escape clauses exist, I suspect one of them might well be, "If the format gets below a certain threshold, then they can be released from their contract," because no company would agree to blindly and completely release only for that format for the predetermined period without there being some kind of benchmark as to when the format would be considered toast.

I just can't see Paramount agreeing to that. They had to have some requirements for HD DVD to continue to be considered a viable format. If everyone else went Blu-ray, I have to believe Paramount would have its out.

I still hope that Toshiba puts a nail in this HD DVD coffin at CES. Their statements in press releases today give me hope that they will end the format war on their own terms, which would be best for all. Releasing Paramount and Universal to come over and restore the industry to one format and begin the long process of earning the consumer's trust after two long years of bickering.
post #96 of 322 Old 01-04-2008, 11:35 PM
AVS Special Member

they'll probably take their sweet time moving over, unless some incentive is offered (and why would would you offer any more bribe money). HDM would not be relevant to the profitability of either studio, if anything is probably a waste of time and $$$ at this stage.

DVD's are about movies & people watch them in living rooms, how many people actually use their computer drives to sit and watch movies- Bluray's Andy Parsons
post #97 of 322 Old 01-05-2008, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitzi View Post

Then you've not been screwed...unless you had a promise in your box that Warner would not dump HDDVD you got exactly what you paid for...and thus their obligation on that transaction is fulfilled.

EXACTLY!

People are just bitter. I would be too, but I started buying titles from ALL neutral studios in BD rather than HD. The reason: I've been saying since day one that BD would win the format war, so naturally, I bought all the dual-format titles in the format I thought would win.

If I'd made the incorrect (and at the time unlikely) assumption that HD-DVD was going to win, I'd be pissed at having to replace those titles.

As it is now, I only have to replace 50 HD-DVDs, instead of 85 BDs.
post #98 of 322 Old 01-05-2008, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisko197 View Post

I still hope that Toshiba puts a nail in this HD DVD coffin at CES. Their statements in press releases today give me hope that they will end the format war on their own terms, which would be best for all. Releasing Paramount and Universal to come over and restore the industry to one format and begin the long process of earning the consumer's trust after two long years of bickering.

This is most certainly the correct answer and I don't really understand how there could possibly be any debate about this. Immediately releasing the studios from their contracts, dissolving the HD-DVD format, and pulling back all stock from retailers is the best answer for the consumer at this point. Paramount should have no difficulty switching immediately back, and I would think that Toshiba and Universal have planned for this contingency if they have an ounce of sense. I don't see that Microsoft has suffered any measurable harm from the Blu decision.

Any further pursuit of the HD-DVD format through the retail channel is pure swindle of the naive consumer and any attempt at bargaining their meager position into some concession should be considered a direct attack on the consumer rather than a competitive business decision, since the BDA can simply take a hard line and wait for the inevitable. However, I would hope that the BDA offers a generous conciliatory compromise that allows the HD-DVD backers to save face and admit defeat gracefully - perhaps a fund to cover current stock on hand, co-marketing agreements, and some patent pool inclusions.
post #99 of 322 Old 01-05-2008, 12:39 AM
tsb
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan View Post

EXACTLY!

People are just bitter. I would be too, but I started buying titles from ALL neutral studios in BD rather than HD. The reason: I've been saying since day one that BD would win the format war, so naturally, I bought all the dual-format titles in the format I thought would win.

amen

I only have 5 non-exclusives on HD DVD now. I swapped them for exclusives or BDs long ago. Anyone who couldn't see it coming was blinded by fanboyism.

I'll probably do a 2-for-1 deal with my remaining non-exclusives just to get rid of them.
post #100 of 322 Old 01-05-2008, 01:22 AM

I think people are losing sight of the fact that HDM is a tiny niche market that may not survive period, just like Laserdisc.
post #101 of 322 Old 01-05-2008, 02:17 AM

I think one company really has the responsibility to step up to the plate now; Toshiba. They have to face the facts and do some math. What are their chances for HD DVD to become a major player in HDM? What will it cost? Is it an economically viable to continue? Or is it better just to wipe of the dust of basic economic prinsiples (like sunk cost) and discontinue the format?

My guess is that Toshiba has the incentive to get out of contracts now to limit their costs and not Paramount (and Universal).
post #102 of 322 Old 01-05-2008, 04:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHlDu -DrVaDy View Post

I think people are losing sight of the fact that HDM is a tiny niche market that may not survive period, just like Laserdisc.

Hey, wait a minute!!! I'll agree that laserdisc was a niche medium, but it managed to survive for almost 18 years before DVD came along and killed it. I didn't get into LD until 1984, but I was able to buy new players and discs for the next 14 years. Even today, 24 years after I bought my first player, I still occasionally toss in a Criterion or imported disc into my LD-S9 for old times sake.
post #103 of 322 Old 01-05-2008, 04:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Niche or not, it is fine by me...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #104 of 322 Old 01-05-2008, 04:46 AM
tsb
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

Niche or not, it is fine by me...

niche is better as long as the current rate of releases remains unchanged or gets better
I'm in heaven already
post #105 of 322 Old 01-05-2008, 06:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 717
Well at least I'll probably save myself a few thousand dollars this year. Plus all the HD DVDs I haven't watched will keep me busy. Although I knew I should have sold my XA2 when I got my A35, now I'll be lucky to get half as much as I could have for it. I guess I'll need to keep it around as a backup for my A35 since I'll be getting a new receiver capable of bitstreaming. One thing is for sure, the bulk of my purchases this year will either go toward VOD or to something else. I think it might be time for me to put together a Quad core PC.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #106 of 322 Old 01-05-2008, 06:17 AM

Quote:

It may be niche for now, but make no mistake, the studios are commited to High-Definition media, and now Blu-ray in particular. Blu-ray will eventually replace DVD, it may take a few years, but like DVD replaced VHS, so with Blu-ray.
post #107 of 322 Old 01-05-2008, 06:20 AM

I think there is some in-between in the middle of DVD/VHS-like success and LaserDisc-like niche status.

And Blu-Ray (the successive HDM format) will probably fit in right around there. It won't be a DVD-like standard, but it will be far more successful than Laser Disc.

Keep in mind Laser Disc was ridiculously unwieldily, required flipping, and wasn't integrated into the millions of Nintendo or Sega Genesis game machines during that time either.

So Blu-Ray has some significant advantages.
post #108 of 322 Old 01-05-2008, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Well at least I'll probably save myself a few thousand dollars this year. Plus all the HD DVDs I haven't watched will keep me busy. Although I knew I should have sold my XA2 when I got my A35, now I'll be lucky to get half as much as I could have for it. I guess I'll need to keep it around as a backup for my A35 since I'll be getting a new receiver capable of bitstreaming. One thing is for sure, the bulk of my purchases this year will either go toward VOD or to something else. I think it might be time for me to put together a Quad core PC.

Why do you need a quad core to view crappy VOD quality movies? MS is already selling 720P HD movies through LIVE.

I find it rather amusing that people with 300+ HD movies are going to swear off HD movies altogether because a studio choose to sell their movie in the future on a different storage format. The exact same encode on a Marantz/Denon/Samsung/Sony/Panasonic/Pioneer player suddenly holds no charm versus something played on a Toshiba player??
post #109 of 322 Old 01-05-2008, 06:34 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
The timing on the Warner announcement is odd. You'd have thought this would be a big press conference announcement. My suspicion is that the BDA and Warner announced it early for leverage and are in aggressive negotiations Universal, and possibly Paramount, looking to hand us a single format all wrapped in a bow at thier CES press conference. This may be the last opportunity Universal has to get some concessions and/or compensation, and if Universal sees things headed Blu-Ray, they may work something out really quickly.
post #110 of 322 Old 01-05-2008, 06:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflux View Post

Hopefully Universal isn't bound by a contract and can begin releasing on Blu-ray ASAP. Paramount will have to stay the course of its contract unless it can somehow get out and find a way to save face.

I'm not sure what will happen, but I would really like to buy the Bourne movies in HD.

Yes, I am curious about Universal. Nobody has ever presented info saying what their commitments and motivations really are in this war. I suppose right now they are holding out for a sufficient 'incentive' to help decisively end the war, in whatever way that is consistent with current agreements.

Anybody really know Universal's situation?

- Tom

Why don't we power our electric cars from greener, cheaper
?

Tom Barry - Find my video filters at
post #111 of 322 Old 01-05-2008, 06:43 AM

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by sperron View Post

The timing on the Warner announcement is odd. You'd have thought this would be a big press conference announcement. My suspicion is that the BDA and Warner announced it early for leverage and are in aggressive negotiations Universal, and possibly Paramount, looking to hand us a single format all wrapped in a bow at thier CES press conference. This may be the last opportunity Universal has to get some concessions and/or compensation, and if Universal sees things headed Blu-Ray, they may work something out really quickly.

You ever hear of a binding contract?
post #112 of 322 Old 01-05-2008, 06:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
You ever hear of a binding contract?

Yeah, I'm sure Sony will get them to sign one if they manage to land them before CES.
post #113 of 322 Old 01-05-2008, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I think the dominoes have fallen but this won't be done this week. It was only 5 months ago that HD had only Universal behind them with two neutral studios. Now they have company. I think of all the studios Universal was the most obstinant and will stay red for longer than some expect. If they wanted to end this it would have been over ages ago.

If all the rumors are accurate Paramount is exclusive through the end of the year.

I'm not saying it isn't over, just that it could take some time to get it over with.

In the meantime BD has A LOT of work to do. I see ZERO evidence that they will replace DVD at this time. In fact if you want to look at my posts from two days before WDay I said even when this happens they cannot "win".
post #114 of 322 Old 01-05-2008, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottscay View Post

Sorry, that's a fanboy myth. But it IS true that there has to be a single format before either could challenge DVD, and now we have a fighting chance.

Aggreed,

And there are many who own HDTV's that were on the sidelines but now can "safely" buy into HDM (BLU). I know many people who were waiting so I'm sure they come into the mix this year (by X-mas).

Uni will come this year for sure and we'll see about Paramount.

Better is one day in your courts, better is one day in your house, better is one day in your courts, than thousands elsewhere....
post #115 of 322 Old 01-05-2008, 07:18 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

How many titles sold 200k discs and how long did it take?

300 sold 200k combined its first week.
Pirates would have sold 200k if there was one format,
Bourne may have as well and Spiderman 3 if you include the box set.
Transformers probably would have sold 300k in its first week if it were on both.

300 has sold over 400k copies and that was a couple of months ago.

Moves by Paramount and Universal to neutral would effectively end B&M support of HDDVD as all movies would now be on one format.
post #116 of 322 Old 01-05-2008, 07:27 AM

Couldn't Universal and Paramount stand to make more money since they are the ones vying for HD DVD owners' dollars? There's probably a million players out there still and even with this announcement, Toshiba has the top 2 sellers in the DVD players on Amazon. It's all about $$$$$$$$$. Whatever will bring in the most money will move any decision along.

Oddly, Warner stands to make less and we'll see their market share dominance of HD media go down just like Paramount's market share of HD sales has. Unless the player I want goes down to the price I want to pay, I'll be buying Warner releases in SD and upconverting them on my HTPC or A20. I'm sure a lot are in the same boat until the price is right.

!!Jonason!!
post #117 of 322 Old 01-05-2008, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktak View Post

Hey, wait a minute!!! I'll agree that laserdisc was a niche medium, but it managed to survive for almost 18 years before DVD came along and killed it. I didn't get into LD until 1984, but I was able to buy new players and discs for the next 14 years. Even today, 24 years after I bought my first player, I still occasionally toss in a Criterion or imported disc into my LD-S9 for old times sake.

Price is going to have to come down for the media for it to emerge from niche market to mainstream. I still remember LDs being double the price of VHS tapes if not more. I think the clumsiness of LDs and the required flipping/swapping hurt its chances of really getting a market piece even if prices were similar.

VHS was rental-only market except for those with 80$ to spend on individual releases back in the early 80s. It started to take off selling actual movies once the prices of new movies weren't the cost of the VCRs .

Bring the prices down of the media.

!!Jonason!!
post #118 of 322 Old 01-05-2008, 07:38 AM

Liked: 32
You guys are just too funny...Back and forth...back and forth...A few months ago everyone was convinced that BR was dead because of a studio change...The boards were filled with the gloaters...Now another studio change and all of a sudden HD DVD is dead...Too funny for you poor saps that think this is over...
post #119 of 322 Old 01-05-2008, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisko197 View Post

Honestly, I suspect that Weinstein will come over next. Then Universal will go neutral in short order.

At that point, if the escape clauses exist, I suspect one of them might well be, "If the format gets below a certain threshold, then they can be released from their contract," because no company would agree to blindly and completely release only for that format for the predetermined period without there being some kind of benchmark as to when the format would be considered toast.

I just can't see Paramount agreeing to that. They had to have some requirements for HD DVD to continue to be considered a viable format. If everyone else went Blu-ray, I have to believe Paramount would have its out.

AGREED 100% No studio is going to lock themselves into such a questionable market situation without escapes - peformance guarantees on Toshiba maintaining hardware marketshare, ongoing hardware sales, etc.

Undoubtedly this begins the HDDVD death spiral - the only question is how steep it will be (will it be a few weeks, a couple of months or a year)....consumers stop/slow down purchasing hardware/media --> studios reduce releases --> further reducing consumer support --> further reducing studio releases....

I have only invested in HDDVD and now have about 40 titles which I have always known to be "at risk" - in mid-2006 I guessed long-term outcome was 70% BluRay vs. 30% HDDVD. It was just easy to keep buying titles that I wanted....

In any case, I'll be glad when the war is totally over....a single format will simplify decisions for studios, hardware manufacturers and consumers....this will increase volumes and competition for a large, single-format market will drive prices down faster than competing formats - how hard could the various BR manufacturers compete against themselves - part of their strategy had to be format success which included having as many manufacturers producing equipment as possible. With the format decided, everyone can be out for themselves....no more cross-subsidization....my cents....

Wyatt
post #120 of 322 Old 01-05-2008, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperron View Post

The timing on the Warner announcement is odd. You'd have thought this would be a big press conference announcement. My suspicion is that the BDA and Warner announced it early for leverage and are in aggressive negotiations Universal, and possibly Paramount, looking to hand us a single format all wrapped in a bow at thier CES press conference. This may be the last opportunity Universal has to get some conncessions and/or compensation, and if Universal sees things headed Blu-Ray, they may work something out really quickly.

+1

One can only hope.
Closed Thread HDTV Software Media Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page