AVS Forum banner

Will we see more content or less now?

1K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  Timothy Ramzyk 
#1 ·
If the format war is truly accepted as over soon, can we expect to see a more robust release schedule from studios on Blu-ray?

I'm hoping Warner wasn't just peeling $500 mil of Blu-ray because they surmised a bird in the hand was worth more than royalties it would have received had it stuck with HD DVD. It's possible that taking the money up front is a "no-confidence" vote on HDM in general. Likewise did FOX take the check because they wanted BD+ or nothing, and since BD+ is problematic they chose nothing (with another BDA check)?

Also, is there enough motivation given HDMs slow sales for Universal and Paramount to change their spots to stripes, and crank out BD? If the BDA was arificially lowering the price of pressing on BD, will they still do so?

My hope was that even though it wasn't my format of choice that will remain standing, that the war's end would just naturally move things along and get more product out there, but I can also see arguments for why we might see less, or no more than we have. I think how many releases we see now on Blu-ray will be the only test of the studios sincerity.

See less See more
#2 ·
I predict that 2008 will still be uber-slow/light, but that we'll start seeing more releases in mid-2009 or so.

The release schedule is SUCKING right now for sure, especially since I'm abstaining from Fox's high prices on catalog titles.

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Kettell /forum/post/12735160

I don't see how anyone can surmise that releases will be light.

It doesn't seem like a banner year for new releases to me, so perhaps studios will open the catalog floodgates to compensate.

Nothing would give me greater pleasure, but they could also sit on their hands until 1.1 is the norm. I suspect Disney's SLEEPING BEAUTY is pushed til fall more because of profiles than any other reason.

#7 ·
I'd rather they take their time and get the HD transfer done properly with the best possible PQ/SQ than release a bunch of stuff with half-baked encodes (a la Universal releases in 2007).

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Ramzyk /forum/post/12735225

Nothing would give me greater pleasure, but they could also sit on their hands until 1.1 is the norm. I suspect Disney's SLEEPING BEAUTY is pushed til fall more because of profiles than any other reason.

I expect the first half of this year to be like the previous year, then once we hit 3Q, it will blow up, and by the time we hit 4Q, it will be just too many good movies for any movie lover to handle. LOTR, Se7en, Heat, Indys, Pulp Fiction, Contact and SO MUCH MORE. New line is really going to surprise us IMHO, they are going to really push Blu-Ray to the limit. If Shoot Em Up is any indication, anyway.

#13 ·
Q1 2007 Blu-ray releases: 72

Q2 2008 Blu-ray releases: 70 confirmed, more expected

Looks like as much or more content to me.

#17 ·
Well there better be greater releases not lesser otherwise they'll get a significant backlash. Imagine, once HD DVD is permanently put out of its misery that the Blu Ray studios release less content. That would not sit well with many adopters and is a sure fire way to burn your bridges and make it appear that all the propaganda about one format was just macho talk.

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPforMe /forum/post/12736531

Well there better be greater releases not lesser otherwise they'll get a significant backlash. Imagine, once HD DVD is permanently put out of its misery that the Blu Ray studios release less content. That would not sit well with many adopters and is a sure fire way to burn your bridges and make it appear that all the propaganda about one format was just macho talk.

I'm sure Warner's move "didn't sit well" with a good sized chunk of adopters.

I think it's pretty clear the studios don't act in a way that suggests they owe us anything. My hope is that they still have plans for Blu-ray, and didn't just take a bunch of checks so they can only kick out a handful of high-profile day and adte titles, and then dump the works claiming there was never enough interest in a few years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.