Would you rather have your HD movies on Discs or on a Media Server? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Would you rather have your HD movies on Discs or on a Media Server?
Discs - I like to hold my movies in my hand! 0 0%
Media Server - I like to stream my media to multiple locations! 0 0%
Neither - I am waiting for Brain chips/implants 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 128 Old 01-10-2008, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Would have been more interesting as a public poll.

I voted "Disc"

As others have stated, had there been the option, I would have said "Both."

A server would be really cool. And someday I would like to have a setup like that.

But a nice, uncorrupted/incorruptible piece of plastic is a wonderful thing to have as a backup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 128 Old 01-10-2008, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

I would rather have them on someone elses media server.

Looking at my amassed collection of DVDs and HDM has got me thinking.. why? I've spent so much money on movies I have watched only a couple of times and some never at all. The reason for my collection is only because when I have the urge to watch a specific movie (or company come over who wish to watch a specific movie) I can just grab it off the shelf, pop it in, change the inputs, and away we go. The convience is what causes me to have a movie store in my home (1800 or so discs). They take up SOOO much space and cost a fortune!

In the end.. it's all wasted money.

The best solution for me (and probably the rest of the world) is a subscription to a service where I can browse a database of content (movies, TV shows, documentaries) right on my TV screen (including a powerful search feature) and find the movie I feel like watching and click "PLAY". I then expect to get HD-DVD quality video and audio after a short buffer period of no more than 60 seconds (about the time it takes to pop a disc in) and it should only cost me about 4-5$ a view. (Watch it four times and it's still cheaper than any Blu-ray or HD DVD)

That's what I want. On a friday night i'm no longer limited by my own collection. No need to keep movies I've never watched nor will ever watch again. In the end.. I'd likely save money. When friends come over.. it's like "Comedies->2007->Rated 4.5 stars or better->Superbad->Play"

How much easier can it get? Why do I even need a media server? No hard drives.. no computers.. just a nice little set top box that connects me to a massive single repository of films. It's a thing of beauty.
post #33 of 128 Old 01-10-2008, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobgpsr View Post

No need for RAID.

Is this supposed to be a political statement or something?
post #34 of 128 Old 01-10-2008, 09:48 AM

HD DVD or Blu-Ray ~ $25+ per disc

500GB WD HD - $99 ~ $0.20 per GB

average HD movie (only movie with best audio) ~ 20GB so the cost of storing a HD movie is $4
post #35 of 128 Old 01-10-2008, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b@nned View Post

average HD movie (only movie with best audio) ~ 20GB so the cost of storing a HD movie is $4

But why have a population of 2,000,000 users with 2,000,000 hard drives with a collection of 100 or so movies...

Instead.. a population of 2,000,000 users with 0 hard drives (just a set top box) with a collection of 100,000 or so movies stored on a couple thousand hard drives at a central location.

Much better for everyone.
post #36 of 128 Old 01-10-2008, 09:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 383
I have fallen completely out of love with physical media (blame my iPod and iTunes).
I look at the shelves of hundreds of CDs and can't wait to burn 'em to disc and kick them out of the house.

Same with my DVD collection which is a constant pain to store and organize. Interacting with my music collection is SO much better digitally. I would feel the same about my movie collection, with the proper interface.

So...ideally...if I had a server that could actually store all my DVDs/HDM in full quality I'd much prefer it. I don't see any affordable options for that, at this time.

If someone offered me a Kaleidoscope system I'd jump on it in a second.
post #37 of 128 Old 01-10-2008, 09:54 AM

I don't have a preference so I didn't vote. I like the idea of both, but not one more than the other.
post #38 of 128 Old 01-10-2008, 09:54 AM

I like the thought of seeing my collection,I can just pop a movie in anytime I want.Streaming can come with a lot problems especially bandwith issues.
post #39 of 128 Old 01-10-2008, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotheraviator View Post

I would rather have them on someone elses media server.

Looking at my amassed collection of DVDs and HDM has got me thinking.. why? I've spent so much money on movies I have watched only a couple of times and some never at all. The reason for my collection is only because when I have the urge to watch a specific movie (or company come over who wish to watch a specific movie) I can just grab it off the shelf, pop it in, change the inputs, and away we go. The convience is what causes me to have a movie store in my home (1800 or so discs). They take up SOOO much space and cost a fortune!

In the end.. it's all wasted money.

The best solution for me (and probably the rest of the world) is a subscription to a service where I can browse a database of content (movies, TV shows, documentaries) right on my TV screen (including a powerful search feature) and find the movie I feel like watching and click "PLAY". I then expect to get HD-DVD quality video and audio after a short buffer period of no more than 60 seconds (about the time it takes to pop a disc in) and it should only cost me about 4-5$ a view. (Watch it four times and it's still cheaper than any Blu-ray or HD DVD)

That's what I want. On a friday night i'm no longer limited by my own collection. No need to keep movies I've never watched nor will ever watch again. In the end.. I'd likely save money. When friends come over.. it's like "Comedies->2007->Rated 4.5 stars or better->Superbad->Play"

How much easier can it get? Why do I even need a media server? No hard drives.. no computers.. just a nice little set top box that connects me to a massive single repository of films. It's a thing of beauty.

I actually had the same thought the other day. Except instead of paying by the movie, pay a single monthly subscription price like you would pay for, say, HBO. It would work just like the Comcast On Demand feature.
post #40 of 128 Old 01-10-2008, 09:57 AM

I can't vote cause I want both...
And I don't hold movies in my hand, I just watch them.
post #41 of 128 Old 01-10-2008, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
i'm a collector i like looking at the covers for art work and info.
post #42 of 128 Old 01-10-2008, 10:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post

There is no greater satasfaction (other than sex and eating) than opening a new product and holding it in your hands and having it on your shelf.

Except that of being able to watch that movie at any moment on any TV without having to find the disc

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #43 of 128 Old 01-10-2008, 10:03 AM

But, you would have to factor in the cost of downloading that movie as well. Itunes currently charges $15+ for HD movies (and that is without HD audio). I am not sure what it costs to get a movie from Xbox live or whatever that is called, because I don't have one. And that is just for the movie. People have become dependent on "special features". Movies get bad reviews if the only special feature is a "making of" and some out takes. How will those be incorporated into digital downloads?

But what happens to you when you are streaming a movie and your DSL/Cable glitches (as they all do) and your movie is lost? Do you have to pay for it again?

I have a media server that I rip my regular DVDs to, which is great because I can get a dull movie with 5.1 soundtrack anywhere between 800MB and 1.5GB. I don't have the ability to rip an HD-DVD or Bluray, but like you said, 20 or so GB sounds about right...maybe more if you were counting PCM audio.

We will see optical discs for a LONG time folks. Think about how long the CD was around before the MP3 became mass marketed. Not just traded on the black market, but when people actually made them available for download legally. Plus, people like to share. Until people find a way to share digital downloads they will never take off.

If people don't want to buy a $300 bluray player, what makes you think they are going to want to buy a $300 media server, plus pay for the internet package with the bandwidth to support HD movies? Now I realize that if it is a streaming feed, most DSL/cable could handle it, but you literally couldn't do anything else anywhere in the house. Now try to keep your kids entertained for 2 hours while you enjoy a streaming HD movie.

There are a lot of people that still don't have HDTVs, let alone the desire to see any of their shows in HD. They will be the ones that just pick up a digital box from their cable company next year.

So.....long story.......those are my thoughts on why I voted for discs.
post #44 of 128 Old 01-10-2008, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post

Except that of being able to watch that movie at any moment on any TV without having to find the disc

But wouldn't you need a STB to allow that TV to access the server?
post #45 of 128 Old 01-10-2008, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowenbotten View Post

I actually had the same thought the other day. Except instead of paying by the movie, pay a single monthly subscription price like you would pay for, say, HBO. It would work just like the Comcast On Demand feature.

In the end, this is the destination of TV as we know it. Gone will be the days where you have to stay home for 9PM on Tuesday to watch your favorite show. Instead everything will be in a catalog with new episodes added weekly. You want to watch episode #9 from Cheers Season 2? No problem. Click.

The world is changing. People don't work 9-5. A lot of fantastic shows die a quick painful death for the simple reason they aren't given a good time slot. Especially with shows like Lost where you miss one episode and you're completely lost. Many are filling this void already with services like YouTube and **********. The broadcasters realize this and will remedy the problem using VOD.
post #46 of 128 Old 01-10-2008, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oztech View Post

i'm a collector i like looking at the covers for art work and info.

Both scan be scanned in and exist on your high definition screen to look at whenever you wish.
post #47 of 128 Old 01-10-2008, 10:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_c View Post

But, you would have to factor in the cost of downloading that movie as well. Itunes currently charges $15+ for HD movies (and that is without HD audio). I am not sure what it costs to get a movie from Xbox live or whatever that is called, because I don't have one. And that is just for the movie. People have become dependent on "special features". Movies get bad reviews if the only special feature is a "making of" and some out takes. How will those be incorporated into digital downloads?

People have been convinced that DVDs need to have "special features", but I question how many people really care if they're there or not (how many really watch them).

Quote:

But what happens to you when you are streaming a movie and your DSL/Cable glitches (as they all do) and your movie is lost? Do you have to pay for it again?

Nobody said anything about the internet. Nobody said anything about downloads (not in this thread, at least that's not what the question was).

Quote:

I have a media server that I rip my regular DVDs to, which is great because I can get a dull movie with 5.1 soundtrack anywhere between 800MB and 1.5GB. I don't have the ability to rip an HD-DVD or Bluray, but like you said, 20 or so GB sounds about right...maybe more if you were counting PCM audio.

We will see optical discs for a LONG time folks. Think about how long the CD was around before the MP3 became mass marketed. Not just traded on the black market, but when people actually made them available for download legally. Plus, people like to share. Until people find a way to share digital downloads they will never take off.

History is absolutely not a good way to guage where technology will go in the future.

Quote:

If people don't want to buy a $300 bluray player, what makes you think they are going to want to buy a $300 media server, plus pay for the internet package with the bandwidth to support HD movies? Now I realize that if it is a streaming feed, most DSL/cable could handle it, but you literally couldn't do anything else anywhere in the house. Now try to keep your kids entertained for 2 hours while you enjoy a streaming HD movie.

Nobody said anything about the internet.

Quote:

There are a lot of people that still don't have HDTVs, let alone the desire to see any of their shows in HD. They will be the ones that just pick up a digital box from their cable company next year.

So.....long story.......those are my thoughts on why I voted for discs.

I want my movies to be instantly streamable to any room I want, at the click of a button, whatever gets me there for minimum cost wins my money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_c View Post

But wouldn't you need a STB to allow that TV to access the server?

Don't you need an STB to access the disc?

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #48 of 128 Old 01-10-2008, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotheraviator View Post

In the end, this is the destination of TV as we know it. Gone will be the days where you have to stay home for 9PM on Tuesday to watch your favorite show. Instead everything will be in a catalog with new episodes added weekly. You want to watch episode #9 from Cheers Season 2? No problem. Click.

The world is changing. People don't work 9-5. A lot of fantastic shows die a quick painful death for the simple reason they aren't given a good time slot. Especially with shows like Lost where you miss one episode and you're completely lost. Many are filling this void already with services like YouTube and **********. The broadcasters realize this and will remedy the problem using VOD.

I agree, TiVo has already kind of implemented the same thing. Rarely do I watch my shows during the time in which it is aired. Ill TiVo the thing and watch it when I have time. The next logical step is to have the cable company provide the service and spit the show\\movie to your cable box when you want to watch it.
post #49 of 128 Old 01-10-2008, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post

There is no greater satasfaction (other than sex and eating) than opening a new product and holding it in your hands and having it on your shelf.

I dunno, not having to get up off the couch to watch it gives me a hell of a lot of satisfaction.
post #50 of 128 Old 01-10-2008, 10:32 AM

Liked: 12
Disc, so I can lend/borrow from friends. I do love my media server though, I stream alot of movies onto the PS3 and if its DivX(which is almost always is) I just copy it over so I can actually have a decent fast forward button. But movies worth owning theres nothing better than having a Blu ray disc.

For the record I do the same with music, I always get a disc copy of albums that are worth owning even if I also have a mp3/ipod version.

For the people that chose media server.
DO YOU READ E-BOOKS TOO?
post #51 of 128 Old 01-10-2008, 10:39 AM

Both. Long term I want to be able to just get a HD disc, copy it onto a media server and have access to it in every room of the house.
I want the disc because its a physical symbol of what I've brought, it means I don't have to backup the media server, I can take it around friends houses with no problem and it also means if I need to free up space on my media server I can delete it.
post #52 of 128 Old 01-10-2008, 10:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjLancer View Post

DO YOU READ E-BOOKS TOO?

If there was a good reader. Problem with the E-Book comparision is with music/movies, the "playback" device is identical whether the content comes from it's legacy container, or a server, that plus the server adds a lot of convenience.

Books are unique in that they are the only media that is enjoyed directly from it's container without an intermediate device. However if/when a device comes out that's as user-friendly as a book, and can hold tons of literature (books, magazines, etc) I think you'll see a move to electronic distribution of that too.

post #53 of 128 Old 01-10-2008, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Ideally I want some form of tangible asset that I own, fully under my control, that provides some reasonable failsafe in the event of a failure. It would be more convenient if when I acquired or played that asset it was stored on my media system to make it future playback easier and faster.

I can envision a couple of approaches that could produce this model, I am sure there are others.
  • A physical storage device I can purchase at a store (e.g. disk) that is automatically copied to my media system when it is inserted for play back.
  • An electronic copy that is transfered to my media system (e.g. download), the media system provides some failure recover and provides a mechanism to make a redundant copy. When I purchase this electronic copy it is fully owned by me, and does not require any external, periodic license test that could fail in the future. Finally if I properly retain my receipt for this purchase I can "return" it or reaquire (re-download) it in the event there is a problem with the copy I received.
post #54 of 128 Old 01-10-2008, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjLancer View Post

DO YOU READ E-BOOKS TOO?

No but ask me when the last time I bought a newspaper was. 100% of my news is taken from newspapers online sites.
post #55 of 128 Old 01-10-2008, 11:13 AM

We all know how risky it is to have all of our information on a hard drive. Isn't that why we back up our pictures, and MP3's?
Well, for one the Hard drive/s would have to be HUGE to handle what I'd put on them. Secondly, I would go postal if I lost it all because of a Lightning stike, corrupt drive, accidental deletion, etc.
post #56 of 128 Old 01-10-2008, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elementalism View Post

I am hoping for a netflix like service that allows me to pay 15 bucks a month to watch an entire catalog over and over. I do believe netflix is working with cable providers to bring such a service. That IMO would rock.

Hey guys, not sure what forum to post this in, but since it was mentioned ^^ I figured I'd ask here.

Anyone know if there is truth to this? Netflix unlimited movie downloads (not HD, but unlimited as opposed the the 17 hours they used to give).

http://technology.beloblog.com/archi...ted_movie.html

The company hasn't officially announced any changes, but an increasing number of customers have reported unlimited access to movie downloads and the Netflix FAQ now says that all $16.99 subscriptions come with unlimited downloads.

Can't find what they are talking about in the FAQ.
post #57 of 128 Old 01-10-2008, 11:34 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elementalism View Post

No but ask me when the last time I bought a newspaper was. 100% of my news is taken from newspapers online sites.

Yeah but no one wants to own a newspaper, we put those in recycle bins.
post #58 of 128 Old 01-10-2008, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Kettell View Post

Why not a "both" option?

I want both - a physical disk that will play no matter what happens to the format in the future. Something that isn't dependent on a "service" being there forever.

But I want to be able to copy them to a media server...

+1.

I did that with DVD (bought DVD and ripped to window media center, stored original DVD in closet as backup) although according to the DMCA I am technically a criminal for copying movies I already own into a format that is more accessible.

With BD+ we may never be able to do the same thing.
post #59 of 128 Old 01-10-2008, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskimo2176 View Post

Longterm? Both.

That would be the best, however, having been heavily into the HTPC side of HT for the last 8 years, I've gone back to purely disc based.

Too much time and effort to maintain a large library on the servers.

+1

I want my HDM
post #60 of 128 Old 01-10-2008, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdog View Post

RAID - Redundant Arrays of Inexpensive Drives

You should try it.