Help with cataloging my movie collection!? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-11-2008, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
DVD Profiler downloads cover art for each title. You can copy an image to the clipboard and paste it into an image editing program to get a saved picture, or just get them directly from "C:\\Users\\username\\Documents\\DVD Profiler\\Databases\\Default\\Images" (that's for Vista; the first folder for XP is different (Documents and Settings\\Users, I think).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2008, 10:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is a helpful thread. The details are great.

For DVDAF, your collection is linked to a a constantly updated database and there is a comprehensive page for each release. This is the page for the Blu-Ray of Infernal Affairs:

http://www.dvdaf.com/search.html?has=0101410&pm=one
Old 01-12-2008, 12:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrylum View Post

If any of those database programs can output into an HTML file, you can simply store the HTML on a memory stick and view it using the PS3's web browser.

Also just found this using google. It's an online DVD catalog. You can access this via your PS3 as well.

http://www.dvdspot.com/

Ok So I like the look/features on Movie Collector, and I have a memory stick, but I can't seem to figure out how the PS3 web browser will read from the memory stick? Any suggestions?
Old 01-12-2008, 01:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by farnlc View Post

Ok So I like the look/features on Movie Collector, and I have a memory stick, but I can't seem to figure out how the PS3 web browser will read from the memory stick? Any suggestions?

Yeah, on a computer you use the drive path, but I don't know what the PS3 uses. I also think it would be much better to have something offline to speed up browsing.

If you just want a visual list of the movies, you could consider uploading cover art and just browsing them as photos in the XMB. They'd have to be big enough to use though. Maybe Amazon would be a good source, since you can click on the thumbnail to get the large image.

Of course, if you want more information like genre, synopsis, features, etc. this wouldn't be enough.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:41 AM
Advanced Member

I have 2 ways of keeping track. I use DVDAF to keep track what physical discs I own, and then I have my personal website basically for friends who want to borrow. Each movie links to the film's IMDB listing.

My personal site took several multi-hour sessions to put together,
but once I caught up to all my titles, all I need to do is cut and paste some HTML which takes about 30 seconds per title (including going to IMDB to grab their catalog number).
Old 01-12-2008, 08:33 AM

Great thread. I know about (and use) DVDspot and heard about dvdaf & DVDprofiler.

(edit) Any software for the mac? My cousin owns a powerbook, so a mac version that'd run on that would be very helpful.
(edit#2) Scratch that. I saw Movie Collector has a macos version and DVDpedia too
Old 01-12-2008, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDrexl View Post

Yeah, on a computer you use the drive path, but I don't know what the PS3 uses. I also think it would be much better to have something offline to speed up browsing.

If you just want a visual list of the movies, you could consider uploading cover art and just browsing them as photos in the XMB. They'd have to be big enough to use though. Maybe Amazon would be a good source, since you can click on the thumbnail to get the large image.

Of course, if you want more information like genre, synopsis, features, etc. this wouldn't be enough.

At first I thought pictures would be good enough, but I really like the HTML idea because it allows me to look at the cover art, and then click it if I want to read the synopisis, etc. I would agree that offline would be best for speed times....that, and I have absolutely NO experience with how to even publish the HTML that it spits out.

I really like the look of Movie Collectors output, as it allows me to use HD-DVD cover art for the thumbs if I own the HD-DVD and movie poster art if I just have a DVR of the movie. This allows me to know pretty quick where I have to go look for the movie, plus I can click on the image and the details will tell me where specifically, which hard drive etc.

Now if I can just get it read by the PS3 browser!?
Old 01-12-2008, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

When I first started buying HDM I kept it all in binders to keep marital peace. I cringe to think of opening up a movie case and just tossing the case aside (cover art and all ) especially since a few months later I decided that I wanted to keep them all in the cases. A few orders from sleevetown and custom cover art printouts (great work guys!) and their is some sense of balance in the universe.

They still take up a lot of space, and maybe discsox or something would help, but I worried that the amount of time I was taking the discs out and back would eventually lead to scratching. Also, this way I have a complete package to sell if that is ever an interest and - I can't help it- I like to have the cover art. The other complication with hoarding media is buying enough media holders to house your expanding collection. I had the same problem when trying to rack over 1000 cds back in the "i wanna be a dj" stage when matching media storage units would be discontinued whenever it was time to make more room.

I like moviecollectors cover view but it was just a kaleidescape teaser for me. Functionally, DVD profiler has been great. I won't use much of the data fields but it is easy to use the reports and I can read it from my ps3, wii or phone. The mobile version wasn't compatilbe with my particular phone, but I thought that it would be a nice safety net from picking up a previously-purchased title when sifting through the bargain bin.

The idea of using a scanner to add titles by scanning upc code was pretty neat but my results have been inconsistent enough to make me just type them in.

There is also the "tug of war" with the Movie Pick funtion.

"I am aware that this Thread is rather old but I still want to make a reply."
Old 05-06-2009, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

If you have a PC with lots of cheap drive space, then MediaPortal might be the way to go...
Quote:

• Play any movie your PC has a codec for (divx, mpeg, matroska,...)
  • All your movies will be stored in MediaPortal's video database
  • View your movies by actors, genres, year, title
  • Sort your movies by actors, genres, year, rating
  • Automatically retrieves video art & info from IMDB
  • Stacking/unstacking if your movie consists of multiple files

Those are just some of the many, many features...and its FREE.

Having all of you movies on a media server lets you access them from multiple rooms (multiple floors) and saves you from having to dig through stacks of boxes for movies. I record all my favorite HD TV shows and videos and then just save them to my server. Some day when its considered not so illegal, I'll rip all my BDs to the server too.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Except that this thread is not about making copies of movies so they can be accessed on a server. It's about keeping a list or database of some sort with the disc titles.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDrexl View Post

Except that this thread is not about making copies of movies so they can be accessed on a server. It's about keeping a list or database of some sort with the disc titles.

Clearly, you must be in the wrong thread.

From the OP...
Quote:
Originally Posted by farnlc View Post

My question that I pose....is there any easy way to do this. Is there any PC software that would stream to the PS3? Is there any database that I can edit quickly and input my info? Any help/ideas would be appreciated.

My goal is to be able to turn on the PS3 and open the file/folder and quickly scroll through a list of movies, then be able to select one and bring up a picture and location of the movie.

For the record, I use TVersity and PS3 Media Server. They do not catalog video though. My goal is to switch to Media Portal someday. It also works with my HD Homerun which lets me record HDTV and play it back on media clients. As I mentioned, I hope they relax the rules an ripping BDs for personal use. That, along with my HD home video and HDTV recordings, is what I would like to have saved on my media server.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I settled on Delicious Library 2 (via the Mac Appstore) for my iMac and have been pretty happy with it so far. Added bonus: I can track my books, CDs, and other items (such as appliances and tools) for insurance purposes. I HATE the fact that they killed the iPhone app . . . but hopefully someday they'll come up with a work-around for that.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhodory View Post

I settled on Delicious Library 2 (via the Mac Appstore) for my iMac and have been pretty happy with it so far. Added bonus: I can track my books, CDs, and other items (such as appliances and tools) for insurance purposes. I HATE the fact that they killed the iPhone app . . . but hopefully someday they'll come up with a work-around for that.
I have and love an iPhone 4S, and next plan an iMac in my future--DL2 looks like a reason to accelerate that! Very nice. But...what's this about "they killed the iPhone app". Is there a backstory?

NM I found the answer in their forums, it's akin to Collectorz Movie (& Other) Collector software--they were banned from using others' databases for product info & images, and had to develop their own. Sounds like DL2 is still struggling with this after a year!
Old 07-10-2012, 06:15 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I own Collectorz Movies & Music (two versions). I have mixed feelings.

First, i used the bar code feature on my iphone to enter the data but this often brings up multiple options many of which are not accurate and frequently none that matches. I discovered that the best way to use this product is to place the actual disk into my computer and have the computer read the disk ID number (different from bar code). This provided the closest but not always a perfect match (someones no cover art, etc.). Obviously work intensive if you have lots of CDs or movies.

Also, while there arelots of functionality and many options on the PC version, when using an iPad as a remote database, the listing and search functions are very limited.

Good program but certainly not perfect and probably not worth the $$$.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectionist2 View Post

I own Collectorz Movies & Music (two versions). I have mixed feelings.
The Collectorz database is pretty awful, but it gets me part-way there anyhow. Then I have to edit all the misteaks among the various tabs.

I too have an iPad and that app is undergoing a complete redesign as I'm told by Collectorz.

There might be a better application out there for Windows but Movie Collector works for me.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Has anyone tried the android-based "My Movies Pro" app? It looks pretty promising from what I've seen. Part of me hates to pay 5.99 if there's another app out there that does the same thing for free, but another part of me says you get what you pay for. If anyone has any suggestions for android-based movie cataloguing/tracking apps, especially ones that are very visual but have a good bit of drill-down capability, I would greatly appreciate it!

"I'LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND!!!" - Barton Fink