Things that make you go Hmmm. Laserdisc Versus HDM - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #271 of 430 Old 02-12-2008, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member
 
Disclord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Plattsburg Missouri (Kansas City)
Posts: 732
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was going through some stuff today and found this little 1-sheet on the USA version of the W-VHS format. These are 125dpi but I'll send the 300 dpi original scans if anyone wants copies for printing in high quality.


Ty C. :-)
----------
"Riff Randal, Rock-n-Roller!"
Disclord is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #272 of 430 Old 02-12-2008, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member
 
Disclord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Plattsburg Missouri (Kansas City)
Posts: 732
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet-X View Post

Sadly this is one of these hardest decoders (along with the Pioneer HM-D101) to obtain, so I never did get a chance to test it. I'm sure it produces a nice picture.




It means exactly what it says: I buried that format and am no longer collecting MUSE LDs (my signature used to advertise I was looking for MUSE LDs)

I used to be a big MUSE LD collector, I've had basically every disc (and then some) for the format with the exception of all the NEC Fish Club discs (and many of those aren't even shot true HD, but Betacam upconverted). But with the advent of digital HD, there was no reason to hold onto the MUSE equipment, so I sold it when I could still get top dollar.

I said I'd never part with it as long as "Fish Face Exhibition" was unavailable in digital HD. That finally became available in 2004 from both Japan on the BS network, as well as locally on InHD, where it and many MUSE discs were shown (the broadcast versions, not the MUSE encoded discs themselves). Fish Face Exhibition, Alaska, Hills of the Season, Dolphin Story, Coral Story, Sea Forest, and Sea of Ohktosk have all been shown (and subsequently recorded).

There were two MUSE LD Scenery discs I never had or have ever watched because they were impossible to find: New York, and Monument Valley. Those I'd still like to see.

I also had an HDL-2000 (non MUSE) deck, and only one disc. I could get more discs, but at $9,000 a pop (included broadcast rights), well, it didn't make financial sense. There was also a handful of 3-D discs (required two players/discs) as well I'd love to see, including "Tahiti" which is also a MUSE LD disc.

Someday I'll put together a web page to chronicle MUSE LD, along with all the catalogs, literature, etc.

VIDEO BROCHURE PORN!!! AHHHH! What all do you have??? PLEASE, get it scanned, high quality, so I can make copies and add it to my collection!!!

BTW, is anyone interested in the VHD Programs brochures? One is for the format itself and one is for the movies they were planning to release - both were done for the 1982 CES when JVC was still planning to release VHD in America. Anyway, if interested, I'll convert them to PDF.

Ty C. :-)
----------
"Riff Randal, Rock-n-Roller!"
Disclord is offline  
post #273 of 430 Old 02-12-2008, 05:46 PM
Advanced Member
 
Ollie W. Holmes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 974
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If Universal gives up the ghost (re HD-DVD title issuance), then HD-DVD will be officially dead, in my book. If that day comes, will those who purchased players at Costco return them for a refund? If so, should Costco immediately institute a policy prohibiting their return? This is the most recent statement of their return policy:

"Merchandise: We guarantee your satisfaction on every product we sell with a full refund. Exceptions: Televisions, projectors, computers, cameras, camcorders, iPOD / MP3 players and cellular phones must be returned within 90 days of purchase for a refund."
Ollie W. Holmes is offline  
post #274 of 430 Old 02-12-2008, 06:22 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Jet-X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 1,469
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disclord View Post

VIDEO BROCHURE PORN!!! AHHHH! What all do you have??? PLEASE, get it scanned, high quality, so I can make copies and add it to my collection!!!

I have MUSE LD catalogs, HLD-X9/X0 brochures, Sony HDVS (baseband HD) software catalogs, NEC Fish Club catalogs, general Sony MUSE catalogs.

I'll see what I can do...but if you want high quality scans, way to big to email...

-> No longer looking for Hi-Vision LDs <-

(I buried that format finally)

www.16cylinder.com
Jet-X is offline  
post #275 of 430 Old 02-13-2008, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member
 
tteich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 784
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet-X View Post

Sadly this is one of these hardest decoders (along with the Pioneer HM-D101) to obtain, so I never did get a chance to test it. I'm sure it produces a nice picture.




It means exactly what it says: I buried that format and am no longer collecting MUSE LDs (my signature used to advertise I was looking for MUSE LDs)

I used to be a big MUSE LD collector, I've had basically every disc (and then some) for the format with the exception of all the NEC Fish Club discs (and many of those aren't even shot true HD, but Betacam upconverted). But with the advent of digital HD, there was no reason to hold onto the MUSE equipment, so I sold it when I could still get top dollar.

I said I'd never part with it as long as "Fish Face Exhibition" was unavailable in digital HD. That finally became available in 2004 from both Japan on the BS network, as well as locally on InHD, where it and many MUSE discs were shown (the broadcast versions, not the MUSE encoded discs themselves). Fish Face Exhibition, Alaska, Hills of the Season, Dolphin Story, Coral Story, Sea Forest, and Sea of Ohktosk have all been shown (and subsequently recorded).

There were two MUSE LD Scenery discs I never had or have ever watched because they were impossible to find: New York, and Monument Valley. Those I'd still like to see.

I also had an HDL-2000 (non MUSE) deck, and only one disc. I could get more discs, but at $9,000 a pop (included broadcast rights), well, it didn't make financial sense. There was also a handful of 3-D discs (required two players/discs) as well I'd love to see, including "Tahiti" which is also a MUSE LD disc.

Someday I'll put together a web page to chronicle MUSE LD, along with all the catalogs, literature, etc.

Looking forward to visit your website, I hope you take the time and put everything together one day...

I have Monument Valley (VALY-001) and New York (VALY-002), both contain ~20mins of HD material and look very nice. New York can be used to test the decoders edge processing (lots of skyscraper windows on this disc). Both are quite expensive; too expensive for the short running time.

Laserdiscs: ~350
HiVision LDs: 42
HD DVD count: 379 / still 20 on the wishlist
tteich is offline  
post #276 of 430 Old 02-13-2008, 09:59 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
Jet-X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 1,469
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tteich View Post

I have Monument Valley (VALY-001) and New York (VALY-002), both contain ~20mins of HD material and look very nice. New York can be used to test the decoders edge processing (lots of skyscraper windows on this disc). Both are quite expensive; too expensive for the short running time.

I hope they look better than some of the other so-called HD scenery discs. Hawaii was a travesty, as was Sakura - both you can clearly see shot on widescreen Betacam and upconverted. Utter crap. Where New York/Monument shot with HD video or are they film based?

I still think Ordinary Europe is one of the best sounding, best looking HD video shot discs made on the Hi-Vision format. Gaia's Daughter was reputed to be the best looking, but I thought OE beat it by a wide margin.

-> No longer looking for Hi-Vision LDs <-

(I buried that format finally)

www.16cylinder.com
Jet-X is offline  
post #277 of 430 Old 02-14-2008, 12:42 AM
Advanced Member
 
tteich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 784
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet-X View Post

I hope they look better than some of the other so-called HD scenery discs. Hawaii was a travesty, as was Sakura - both you can clearly see shot on widescreen Betacam and upconverted. Utter crap. Where New York/Monument shot with HD video or are they film based?

I still think Ordinary Europe is one of the best sounding, best looking HD video shot discs made on the Hi-Vision format. Gaia's Daughter was reputed to be the best looking, but I thought OE beat it by a wide margin.

I think those VALY's are film based (grain to be seen), but I might be mistaken, it's been months ago that I watched them. Another great looking disc is Song of Africa. Ordinary Europe: agree. Too bad the content is a bit tawdry (and amusing for us europeans).

Laserdiscs: ~350
HiVision LDs: 42
HD DVD count: 379 / still 20 on the wishlist
tteich is offline  
post #278 of 430 Old 02-14-2008, 01:04 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Oliver Klohs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Leipzig, Germany
Posts: 2,526
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I also do own Monument Valley and can attest to it having very nice quality, no wonder as it was about the last Muse disc to be released.
I'd say it is right up there with Gaia's Daughter and better than Ordinary Europe (I own all three), although Ordinary Europe looks very nice and that despite being one of the earliest releases.

Regarding the greenish tint with Muse discs: In my experience it is only the X9 that exhibits it to a large degree and while it can be corrected for with proper calibration it is strange that the newest of all 5 players should have it, I suspect Pioneer messed something up in the design of the Muse section.

So the HLD-1000, the X0, the Sony HIL-C1 and C2EX including their clones are all very similar with regard to the greenish tint, although this is pretty much where the similarities end.

Oliver
Oliver Klohs is offline  
post #279 of 430 Old 02-18-2008, 06:26 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Jet-X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 1,469
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Don't let this thread die!

Next week, look for Hi-Vision brochures, etc. to be prepared for download. I got off my a$$ and pulled my files.

-> No longer looking for Hi-Vision LDs <-

(I buried that format finally)

www.16cylinder.com
Jet-X is offline  
post #280 of 430 Old 02-18-2008, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
wakashizuma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,064
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone have any SACD brochures?

A Home Theater Enthusiast!
wakashizuma is offline  
post #281 of 430 Old 02-18-2008, 10:50 PM
Member
 
Thezlog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Please dont start on laserdiscs. I still want the Godzilla Memorial Box Set and a grand is just to hard to come up with living were I live and bills I have to pay.
Thezlog is offline  
post #282 of 430 Old 02-19-2008, 06:49 AM
Advanced Member
 
Disclord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Plattsburg Missouri (Kansas City)
Posts: 732
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakashizuma View Post

Does anyone have any SACD brochures?

I do - zap me your email address and I'll send them to you.

Ty C. :-)
----------
"Riff Randal, Rock-n-Roller!"
Disclord is offline  
post #283 of 430 Old 02-21-2008, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member
 
Disclord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Plattsburg Missouri (Kansas City)
Posts: 732
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Going through old CD-ROM backups today, I found two JPEG files of the logo's Pioneer was planning to use for their "Super" LaserDisc format back in the late 1980's... too bad it never got off the ground! It would have been 100% backwards compatible with any LD player that had Digital Audio capability - there was no compatibility with players that had ONLY analog audio because the two FM audio carriers were to be dropped to extend the video bandwidth without changing the video carrier frequency or FM deviation. A Faroudja-developed chroma bandwidth expansion technique was to be used also - it switched the I and Q chroma carriers in a field sequential manner, expanding one to dual-side-band, then the other, for 2 MHz of color resolution. For 'standard' televisions and LD players without a decoder, a 30Hz chroma flicker would be present, but we are very insensitive to chroma flicker like that so it wouldn't be a problem.

Anyway, here are the two files I have...

The LaserVision-XR "compatibility" mark:


And Pioneer's LaserDisc brand LaserDisc eXtended Resolution with Super-Wide-Band-Color logo:


I never found out if the Wide-Band Color had to always be implemented with the resolution extension or if they could be done seperately - like standard NTSC on LD with extra chroma or just extended bandwidth with no wide-band color... I wonder how it would have worked? Too bad the LD market had sold so few players in total that Pioneer never introduced the system - not even in Japan! I guess they figured component-based Hi-Vision MUSE LD's would be the next big 'step' and not an 'enhanced' composite NTSC system... I believe Television Digest carried an article about LD-XR in 1988/89 or sometime in there.

Ty C. :-)
----------
"Riff Randal, Rock-n-Roller!"
Disclord is offline  
post #284 of 430 Old 02-21-2008, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
Disclord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Plattsburg Missouri (Kansas City)
Posts: 732
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thezlog View Post

Please dont start on laserdiscs. I still want the Godzilla Memorial Box Set and a grand is just to hard to come up with living were I live and bills I have to pay.

Oh, NEVER pay $1000 for ANY LaserDisc - I wouldn't pay that much even for some super-duper-rare early MCA DiscoVision demo! Now, I WOULD pay that much for the FSX-101 smoke-top Disco-Vision player that MCA showed at their 1974 press conference! It was a fully working player and not just a mock-up - it had to have an external pump attached to it though to create the vacuum that focused the lens.

So, guys, what's the absolute MOST you've paid for any LaserDisc that was rare or out-of-print - I'm not talking something that was expensive from the get-go, like the Star Wars Definitive Collection - I'm thinking of a disc that was initially normally priced, but due to circumstances, shot through the roof after LD died. The most I ever paid was $150 for a test-pressing of High Plains Drifter from MCA Disco-Vision. It's a 4-disc, single-sided box set from before the LD format was dual-sided. Each disc is the thickness of a DVD and quite flexible and 'floppy'. It was pressed in 1976 and since the standards were finalized by then, it still plays perfectly on ANY 'modern' LaserDisc player. The only 'flaw' is a slight high-pitched whine from the left FM audio channel not being 'spot-on' in its recorded frequency. But otherwise, it's perfect - it has frame numbers on it too - strangely though, it's a "TV" version of the movie! Apparently, MCA didn't want to be showing R-rated films at press events... hmmm, I wonder why? And, it's made from a 2-inch Quadruplex film-chain transfer and not from a flying-spot-scanner to the 2-inch IVC-9000 VTR-format like the commercially released DiscoVision discs were.

I've tranfered most of my Japanese Godzilla LD's and VHD's to DVD+R/-R at the 9mbps rate (60 min per disc) - stuff like Godzilla Fantasia, etc... I've got all my Field-Sequential 3D VHD's transfered to DVD too... someday I'll have to re-do them all in VC-1 or MPEG-4/AVC and put them on Blu-ray - sure, they'll still be standard definition, but with none of the nasty artifacts of MPEG-2. And my whole 3D VHD library could probably fit on a single BD-50!

Hey, where is everyone??? I've missed chatting about old technology with you all - you guys all have so much to add! C'mon, get to typing!

Ty C. :-)
----------
"Riff Randal, Rock-n-Roller!"
Disclord is offline  
post #285 of 430 Old 02-21-2008, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
David Susilo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Markham, Canada
Posts: 9,399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disclord View Post

VIDEO BROCHURE PORN!!! AHHHH! What all do you have??? PLEASE, get it scanned, high quality, so I can make copies and add it to my collection!!!

BTW, is anyone interested in the VHD Programs brochures? One is for the format itself and one is for the movies they were planning to release - both were done for the 1982 CES when JVC was still planning to release VHD in America. Anyway, if interested, I'll convert them to PDF.

VHD brochure please !!!!!!!!

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

David Susilo is offline  
post #286 of 430 Old 02-21-2008, 02:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
JOHNnDENVER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,377
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm not sure what I paid for my Song of the South. I'm not sure I could even figure that out now, in the year 2008.
JOHNnDENVER is offline  
post #287 of 430 Old 02-21-2008, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member
 
Disclord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Plattsburg Missouri (Kansas City)
Posts: 732
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

VHD brochure please !!!!!!!!

PM me your email and I will get the two VHD brochures together as PDF's and zap them to ya. You are the first person who has asked about them - and they are really excellent brochures - I was just looking at one the other day and when finished I was thinking - "OH, I need to run to the store and buy one of those!" Then I remembered, I have two VHD players and a score of discs...

Man, if VHD had been released in America when, and as, JVC originally planned, it would have totally stomped all over LD and CED - LD would have eventually rebounded since it had room for technical growth and capabilities that VHD did not, but at that time, 1981, it was no contest, VHD was clearly a better performing format with better features and lower cost than LD - and clearly better disc and pressing quality.

My goal now is to find a MSX computer with one of the VHD adapters and some of the MSX VHDpc games - my 3D VHD player will work with it - VHD used Microsoft's Japanese 8-bit MSX computer standard and, with an outboard PC-to-disc-player adapter, used the Stylus-Kicker circuits in VHD players to create true interactive games in a way that LD never did, at least not in the consumer arena.

Pioneer released the PALCOM system in the UK and Japan, and it was based on MSX too, but LD didn't have the capability of interleaving video the way VHD did, due to VHD's 4-field-per-turn disc structure and the ability to embed 'kick' pulses on the discs (the embedded kick pulses are what made VHD's backwards-compatible 3D possible). I have a Japanese PALCOM brochure, circa 1984, but have never seen one in 'real life'. Oh, I do have a 2-sided CLV 8-inch LD demonstrating Pioneer's failed LaserActive system - they truly botched that system in terms of the cost of the games and two different game formats - what a mess, and how typical of Pioneer.

Ty C. :-)
----------
"Riff Randal, Rock-n-Roller!"
Disclord is offline  
post #288 of 430 Old 02-21-2008, 03:23 PM
Advanced Member
 
Disclord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Plattsburg Missouri (Kansas City)
Posts: 732
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER View Post

I'm not sure what I paid for my Song of the South. I'm not sure I could even figure that out now, in the year 2008.

Guesstimate it! I remembered the cost of the High-Plains Drifter Disco-Vision test pressing because I still have the email making the deal with the Magnavox engineer back in September of 1995... he was the head of the Philips/Magnavox Video Long Play (VLP/Magnavision) optical department from 1975 onward - oh, he had some GREAT stories about the development of the LD system! He makes super expensive hand-built guitars now.

You know, from December 1994 up until 2000 or so, I saved every email (besides junkmail) I ever sent or received... I have no idea why. Guess my early days on AOL and Apple's eWorld warped me... Oh, how I loved eWorld.

Ty C. :-)
----------
"Riff Randal, Rock-n-Roller!"
Disclord is offline  
post #289 of 430 Old 02-21-2008, 04:21 PM
Advanced Member
 
Disclord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Plattsburg Missouri (Kansas City)
Posts: 732
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here's a pic of the prototype DTS ARTEC "Zeta 6x20" decoder - that DTS renamed "DTS Coherent Acoustics" and then "DTS Digital Surround."

The DTS Coherent Acoustics algorithm was bought, off-the-shelf, from AlgoRithmic TEChnology by Terry Beard - the codec's main designer was Mike Smyth of APT-X100 fame; APT-X100 is the 4:1 ADPCM compression system DTS uses in their DTS-6 theatrical sound system. Terry Beard was co-inventor of the "remapping" system that DTS uses to format the compressed audio into a 14-bit slot of the 16-bit Philips/Sony CD standard for DTS encoded CD's and LaserDisc's.


I hope you guys don't think I'm silly for posting all this old stuff - I think it's fun to share it and info we have. I have DTS very first one-sheet brochure for their theatrical system that I could post and I also have two really awesome brochures from Sony for SDDS - one brochure is from the initial prototype trials and the other is from a year or so later when they were expanding the roll-out.

Ty C. :-)
----------
"Riff Randal, Rock-n-Roller!"
Disclord is offline  
post #290 of 430 Old 02-21-2008, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
David Susilo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Markham, Canada
Posts: 9,399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 327
it's not silly. These are the things that started me with audio video (well, actually an 8mm silent projector by Elmo waaaaay back when... which I still own)

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

David Susilo is offline  
post #291 of 430 Old 02-21-2008, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
David Susilo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Markham, Canada
Posts: 9,399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disclord View Post

PM me your email and I will get the two VHD brochures together as PDF's and zap them to ya. You are the first person who has asked about them - and they are really excellent brochures - I was just looking at one the other day and when finished I was thinking - "OH, I need to run to the store and buy one of those!" Then I remembered, I have two VHD players and a score of discs...

Man, if VHD had been released in America when, and as, JVC originally planned, it would have totally stomped all over LD and CED - LD would have eventually rebounded since it had room for technical growth and capabilities that VHD did not, but at that time, 1981, it was no contest, VHD was clearly a better performing format with better features and lower cost than LD - and clearly better disc and pressing quality.

My goal now is to find a MSX computer with one of the VHD adapters and some of the MSX VHDpc games - my 3D VHD player will work with it - VHD used Microsoft's Japanese 8-bit MSX computer standard and, with an outboard PC-to-disc-player adapter, used the Stylus-Kicker circuits in VHD players to create true interactive games in a way that LD never did, at least not in the consumer arena.

Pioneer released the PALCOM system in the UK and Japan, and it was based on MSX too, but LD didn't have the capability of interleaving video the way VHD did, due to VHD's 4-field-per-turn disc structure and the ability to embed 'kick' pulses on the discs (the embedded kick pulses are what made VHD's backwards-compatible 3D possible). I have a Japanese PALCOM brochure, circa 1984, but have never seen one in 'real life'. Oh, I do have a 2-sided CLV 8-inch LD demonstrating Pioneer's failed LaserActive system - they truly botched that system in terms of the cost of the games and two different game formats - what a mess, and how typical of Pioneer.

THank you! I'll PM you right away.

Do you have any old info about LaserFilm? I saw a demo eons ago by Sansui (remember that brand?) when I was in Tokyo.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

David Susilo is offline  
post #292 of 430 Old 02-21-2008, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
David Susilo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Markham, Canada
Posts: 9,399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 327
PS: I remember watching my one and only 3D VHD movie. It was House 3-D. Man the movie sucks but who cares! It was on disc and it's in 3D !!!!!

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

David Susilo is offline  
post #293 of 430 Old 02-21-2008, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tkmedia2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: CA, WA, USA
Posts: 2,292
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I saved all my "email" as well from the mid 1980's to 2002 untill. poof! A hard drive went bad, my backups on Jaz, Zip, were history. My Syquest 88's and Panasonic PD still have some but was incomplete. I had a decent LZW and tar archive on an Amiga, but it was corrupt. oh silly me I was also GEnie user and surfing the web with the browser Viola! and thought Gopher was great!
tkmedia2 is offline  
post #294 of 430 Old 02-21-2008, 06:03 PM
Advanced Member
 
Disclord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Plattsburg Missouri (Kansas City)
Posts: 732
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkmedia2 View Post

I saved all my "email" as well from the mid 1980's to 2002 untill. poof! A hard drive went bad, my backups on Jaz, Zip, were history. My Syquest 88's and Panasonic PD still have some but was incomplete. I had a decent LZW and tar archive on an Amiga, but it was corrupt. oh silly me I was also GEnie user and surfing the web with the browser Viola! and thought Gopher was great!

When I was DTS's Internet Rep and wrote/self-published The DTScoop Newsletter for them I had an Apple PowerPC (a Performa) with an external SCSI Zip-Disk and kept all my work on Zip Disks - well, wouldn't you know it, somewhere, between Albuquerque, New Mexico and Kansas City, Missouri, those Zip Disk's went "zip" and disappeared! I don't know what happened to them! And I had a lot of cool stuff saved on them too! I don't even have a single copy of the DTScoop! It was an electronic newsletter that I sent out in PDF format and I thought I was all that because all movie titles were linked to the appropriate or company website, etc... I had the Apple TV Tuner card in my Performa so I'd watch TV as I finished up each issue of the newsletter. Adobe gave me my copy of Acrobat Distiller for free as long as I mentioned them as a "thank you" in each issue - which I gladly did! And they also gave me Photoshop 2.5 - it was fun working for DTS.

Apple's eWorld was my first online experience - my dad bought me an Apple Performa 630CD for X-Mas 1994 and I signed up to eWorld that night - and it came with a whole 2-FREE hours of service a month - 2 HOURS! Who'd need that much time, that was PLENTY! A week or so later I got the urge to try AOL which also gave you 2 free hours - and a friend on eWorld send me a little program called AOHell - some of you prolly remember that - free AOL!!! It was $4.95 per hour during off-hours and $7.95 during business hours to use AOL then! A short while later I bought the Compuserve 'kit' at Media Play (when they were in business in Albuquerque) and had lots of fun there... I never liked their screen names though and they wouldn't let me use my eWorld name "Jukebox Boy" because they said it was "misleading" since I was 27 years old... I tried to explain to them that it was the name of a song from Baltamora, but CIS wouldn't listen... on AOL I used "StereoBoy." Then, in August of 1995, I met my partner, Tony on AOL in a forum talking about dead video formats... He lived in St. Louis, but we've been together ever since. It turned out that I'd known who he was for years - he wrote for a LaserDisc magazine/newsletter called Disc Deals and did their MCA DiscoVision reviews under the name "Philip Stevens" (if you like disaster movies you'll understand why he used the name) and he had his own column called "Tony Cook's The Focus Of The Beam" about the Japanese LD market and such. Who knew, back in 1986, when I would be reading Disc Deals, that I'd meet him someday and we'd have a house and 5 cats in Plattsburg, MO?

Gosh, those 'early days' online were fun - I remember that when AOL first granted access to the World Wide Web and had their little browser, I couldn't 'grasp' what it was - I didn't realize at the time that AOL was NOT the internet, you know?

OK, everyone else, your memory-lane's about the internet and your first days online.

Ty C. :-)
----------
"Riff Randal, Rock-n-Roller!"
Disclord is offline  
post #295 of 430 Old 02-21-2008, 07:02 PM
EJ
AVS Special Member
 
EJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Minot, ND
Posts: 2,779
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i was a c64 user and signed up for quantumlink. the company later became aol. all this on my 300 baud modem!

Former USSB uplink operator.
EJ is offline  
post #296 of 430 Old 02-21-2008, 11:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ChrisW6ATV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Hayward, Collie-fornia USA
Posts: 4,205
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disclord View Post

So, guys, what's the absolute MOST you've paid for any LaserDisc that was rare or out-of-print

I paid about $65, I think, for The Marcus-Nelson Murders on Discovision. I have got a few bargains, though, as well, like House Calls and Looking For Mr. Goodbar. For post-Discovision titles, the only one I bought for more than release price was Styx - Caught In The Act with digital sound. That one was to replace my original analog-only copy, which is full of laser rot on side one, the only disc I have that I know of that rotted after I bought it.

Chris

"It's [expletive] lame to watch Jaws, a film that uses the 2.40 ratio as well as any ever produced, in the wrong format on HBO." -Steven Soderbergh, Oscar-winning director

ChrisW6ATV is offline  
post #297 of 430 Old 02-22-2008, 06:29 AM
Advanced Member
 
Disclord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Plattsburg Missouri (Kansas City)
Posts: 732
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV View Post

I paid about $65, I think, for The Marcus-Nelson Murders on Discovision. I have got a few bargains, though, as well, like House Calls and Looking For Mr. Goodbar. For post-Discovision titles, the only one I bought for more than release price was Styx - Caught In The Act with digital sound. That one was to replace my original analog-only copy, which is full of laser rot on side one, the only disc I have that I know of that rotted after I bought it.

...Goodbar is nice on DiscoVision because it was shot with a 1.66:1 'soft matte' and DiscoVision just did a full-frame transfer - so, it zooms to 16x9 on my projector quite nicely! The later Paramount Home Video CLV Extended Play re-issue is an extraction from the original image so you can't zoom it without massive cropping. MCA did several full re-transfers of ...Goodbar and one of the transfers has a defect where the image has vertical line paring (i.e. the interlace is only 60/40 causing scan lines to overlap and cutting the full-frame vertical resolution in half)- so, even with the best de-interlacers, it can't be properly deinterlaced or inverse-telecined without severe aliasing and combing.

Marcus Nelson Murders was a great MCA DiscoVision title - a full-length TV movie for just $9.95! Battlestar Galactica was too. On some of the DiscoVision titles I actually prefer the DiscoVision transfer to the modern DVD versions... Because MCA was using prints instead of low-contrast internegatives, quite a few of the films just have a more film-like "look" - the CAV edition of PSYCHO is a good example - I think it looks better than either of the DVD releases. The CLV DiscoVision re-issue of PSYCHO doesn't look as good as the CAV - by the time they did the CLV, they were adding the DV bumpers electronically and the master tape used was several generations away from the one used for the CAV mastering - it just doesn't look as good.

I wish Universal would get around to releasing The Last Married Couple In America - it's a truly "lost" film - the MCA DiscoVision release was only allowed to be sold in certain markets, so it didn't get wide distribution, and the MCA Videocassette release was dropped from the catalog pretty early in the game - the title has never been re-issued on any format. Incredible Shrinking Woman is also a "lost" film - oh, how I'd love to have an HD version of that film! I have some field-sequential 3D test footage of Lilly Tomlin from the film - early on, she wanted to make the movie in 3D, but that never happened.

BTW, cool that you got a copy of House Calls! With the defect rates and returns simply because people didn't understand at that time that Extended Play discs couldn't do special effects, I'd estimate that there are less than 200 copies out in the 'wild' nowdays. The only rarer Extended Play title from that time is Animal House - only 150 were deemed 'good enough' in quality to ship to Atlanta and the title was 'officially' removed from the shelves two days after the launch, never to be replaced in that early Extended Play form... as an interesting side-note, Animal House is an experimental Constant Angular Acceleration Extended Play title. The Magnavision 8000 was hand-modified for two-speed capability here in America and the Magnavox tech's used Animal House as their official "test" disc to confirm proper operation! Since the Magnavision 8000 didn't lock-out the special effects on Extended Play discs, if you did select freeze-frame or something like that on a CLV title, the image started jumping with all kinds of garbage on screen - people thought it was a defective disc and returned it! If you've noticed, neither House Calls nor Animal House had any kind of indication on the package or disc label that they were Extended Play - they had the red label, but that's it... the DiscoVision Silver Catalog did note it for those titles, but there was no explanation of what it meant - that's why, a year later when Warner had MCA release Deliverance, the big red "EXTENDED PLAY" sticker was slapped on the front of the jacket - almost as a WARNING!

Ty C. :-)
----------
"Riff Randal, Rock-n-Roller!"
Disclord is offline  
post #298 of 430 Old 02-22-2008, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member
 
Disclord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Plattsburg Missouri (Kansas City)
Posts: 732
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here's a scan from an early DTS Coherent Acoustics brochure - dts were still claiming a bitrate of 1.4 mbp/s at the time. The brochure was too long to fit on my HP scanner all at once, so I had to split it up and seam it back together... If you want a big, 300dpi printable copy, as ususal, PM me with your email address.

Ty C. :-)
----------
"Riff Randal, Rock-n-Roller!"
Disclord is offline  
post #299 of 430 Old 02-22-2008, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member
 
Disclord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Plattsburg Missouri (Kansas City)
Posts: 732
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post

i was a c64 user and signed up for quantumlink. the company later became aol. all this on my 300 baud modem!

I had a VIC-20 with the Datacasette and VIC-MODEM - I got them for X-Mas 1982. I remember the VIC-20 slogan well "A Real Computer For The Price Of A Toy." I wanted an Atari-800, but my dad said it was too expensive considering he got me a Pioneer LD-1100 LaserDisc player that X-mas too.

Ty C. :-)
----------
"Riff Randal, Rock-n-Roller!"
Disclord is offline  
post #300 of 430 Old 02-22-2008, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tkmedia2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: CA, WA, USA
Posts: 2,292
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

Sansui (remember that brand?)

one of my favroite brands of all time. Too bad they sold the brand name to the Chinese a couple of years ago(2006?). while in the 1990's they licensed their name brand to different electronics products. Sansui started as a transformer and electronics component parts company. Sansui decided to get out of electronic parts and concentrate on their amps, audio etc. In 1979, Hashimoto Electric has all the right to Sansui electronic part components. Hashimoto Electric is still around. They can use the original Sansui logo not the later 1987 logo that has been sold.

One of my last Sansui product in 1994 the au-alpha907 limited integrated amp. very well made and kept the quality very high. Almost no plastic, metal machined feet and controls, that's crazy!


A number of Sansui's engineers even fixed one of my old amps 2 years ago. They upgraded and even redesigned many internal components it was insane! They made my 40 year old amp new again. I cant believe how many new old parts they still have around.
tkmedia2 is offline  
Reply HDTV Software Media Discussion

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off