Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by luf View Post

Hi,
I have a question about the MUSE decoder for Hi-vision laserdisc:
Is it possible to do upscaling of the "normal" Laserdisc with the muse decoder on a hdtv?
I've got a Victor HV-MD1 decoder!
Thanks!

I'm also looking for a scan of the Victor HV-MD1 manual, if someone have it it would be nice!

Afaik none of the Muse decoders upscale. But the Victor HV-MD2 downscales (it is able to output the Muse "core" signal (NTSC) on its SVideo output.

I have that decoder (and a couple of other), but no manual as far as I remember.

Laserdiscs: ~350
HiVision LDs: 42
HD DVD count: 379 / still 20 on the wishlist
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2009, 09:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
MUSE Decoders do not upscale at all.
As pointed out, some MUSE decoders will 'downscale' a MUSE disc only.

-> No longer looking for Hi-Vision LDs <-

(I buried that format finally)

www.16cylinder.com
Old 01-20-2009, 03:19 AM
AVS Special Member

you could simply get a external scaler for your laserdisc player. don't know how well I'd do with laserdisc but it may be worth a try.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:56 AM
luf

hi,
thanks for your answers, I don't know why but I was sure that MUSE decoder upscale...I try every possibility with mine but nothing works with a "normal" laserdisc, and I know why, now
I thought about an external scaler but I think the price is too high for what i'll do with it...I already have HD materials for dvd, video games.

Any idea of the price?

tteich, you seems to have a pretty Hi-vision collection...do you own Lawrence of arabia? does he has a good picture? thanks
Old 01-20-2009, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

hi,
thanks for your answers, I don't know why but I was sure that MUSE decoder upscale...I try every possibility with mine but nothing works with a "normal" laserdisc, and I know why, now
I thought about an external scaler but I think the price is too high for what i'll do with it...I already have HD materials for dvd, video games.

Any idea of the price?

tteich, you seems to have a pretty Hi-vision collection...do you own Lawrence of arabia? does he has a good picture? thanks

LoA looks very good, but the picture is a bit on the green side. I think they messed the transfer up. Surprisingly, it's only "greenish" with a certain combination of player and decoder (to some degree). On the HLD-X9 (especially in combination with Sony decoders) the color shift is noticable, but with the HLD-X0 much less.
But if you're a fan of LoA then I bet you will enjoy it on HiVision LD. Needless to say the artwork and packaging is just wonderful (I think I've posted pics somewhere here, you might find them in this or the other thread about laserdisc). Edit: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post11278506

Old 01-20-2009, 02:28 PM
luf

hi,
Thanks for your answer, you just have a amazing collection...the first time I see Jumanji Hi-vision...
I just have a demo disc right now, and I've noticed the green effect some time...not shocking, but it's a little bit here.But I would like to find Lawrence of Arabia, amazing covers AND booklet for an amazing movie!! He's not on the rarest, maybe I can have it for a good price..? I'm impatient right now!
Old 01-20-2009, 04:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

hi,
Thanks for your answer, you just have a amazing collection...the first time I see Jumanji Hi-vision...
I just have a demo disc right now, and I've noticed the green effect some time...not shocking, but it's a little bit here.But I would like to find Lawrence of Arabia, amazing covers AND booklet for an amazing movie!! He's not on the rarest, maybe I can have it for a good price..? I'm impatient right now!

I don't know what the going rate for Muse LDs is at the moment. The more common titles show up from time to time on the usual platforms, but if you're really impatient you should consider just buying one from the japanese sellers.

The demo and scenery discs are the best ones as far as PQ is concerned. But I prefer the movies. Which player do you have? Btw. your Victor decoder softens the picture a bit. Don't get me wrong, it doesn't look bad, but other decoders perform better. Anyway, you should consider upgrading the decoder only if you're serious with that hobby, and already collected a larger number of HV-LDs.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:20 PM
luf

Right now I have "only" a Panasonic LX-HD20 & Victor HV-MD1, I know that it's not the better equipment for that, but I'm waiting to have a largest collection before upgrading.
The HV-MD1 have a cool thing: audio digital optical out, the MD2 or MSC-4000 don't have it.
But anyway, I've got a good price for both so I don't hesitate any second!
Which movie have the better sound & picture, in your muse collection?I'm curious.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Right now I have "only" a Panasonic LX-HD20 & Victor HV-MD1, I know that it's not the better equipment for that, but I'm waiting to have a largest collection before upgrading.
The HV-MD1 have a cool thing: audio digital optical out, the MD2 or MSC-4000 don't have it.
But anyway, I've got a good price for both so I don't hesitate any second!
Which movie have the better sound & picture, in your muse collection?I'm curious.

You seem to have the HV-VMD1 decoder, don't you? I don't know that particular model and how it compares to the HV-MD2. They might differ in picture quality, so forget everything what I said about your decoder.

Personally I like the Panasonic LDs very much (Breakfast at Tiffanies, Out of Africa, BTTF, Backdraft, Jurassic Park). And the ones from Pioneer look also very good, e.g. Cliffhanger, Chaplin, T2, Dances with Wolves, Stargate, etc.

You can find some reviews at this side: http://www.cinedrome.ch/hometheater/hdtv/muse/reviews/

Old 08-29-2012, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disclord View Post

No, there isn't - well, actually, I'm not sure - I have the DTS Recorder software for the DTS-P8 recorder - you probably know what that is, but if not, it's the recorder used to encode the source audio into 4:1 compressed APT-X100 and then multiplex it and record it onto a master CD-ROM. It might be able to demultiplex the files - and APT-X100 coder is now available in software. I have probably 300 or more DTS-6 discs plus maybe 400 DTS Trailer discs. I'd love to be able to turn them into PCM files and re-encode them to Coherent Acoustics.

I have an 8-channel APT-X100 PCI card from a DTS-P8 mastering unit - it has four APT-X100 chips that do both encoding and decoding - you can have it if you want it - and I'll email you the P8 .exe file if you want to play around with it. It's just a simple DOS program.

BTW, APT-X100 was one of the first 'advanced' low-bitrate systems, wasn't it? I recall that Stereophile talked about it in their "Industry Update" one time and also discussed the paper presented at that years AES convention by the APT-X100 systems' designer - Mike Smyth, I think it was - they trashed him unmercifully for using specifications, measurements and ABX testing to design it - and not just going with "what his ears and emotions told him". To me, it seems like the digital 'equivalent' of Dolby A-Type Noise Reduction - not in what it does, but that it was an early system that worked well and found wide usage. And it's a 4-band system like Dolby too! DTS originally used APT-X100 to demo six channel "DTS CD's" to Gary Reber and others... I think there might also be an early DTS demo LaserDisc made with six tracks of APT-X in the place of the digital 2-channel PCM tracks. I'd LOVE to find that! In DTS' 'channel mapping' patent for formatting lossy audio data onto a standard CD audio disc, the APT-X100 coder is used as the main example. DTS hadn't found the ARTEC system yet.

Very cool to get some info like this. Thanks for imparting some of your knowledge on the matter. May I ask what the name of the P8 program is? It sounds interesting and I'd love to check it out if the opportunity is given.

Cheers!!!!