Call for studios to exchange HD-DVD titles for Blu Ray titles. - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Would you like the studios to replace your HD-DVDs with equivalent Blu Rays?
Yes, and it would encourage me to buy more Blu Rays more frequently. 0 0%
Yes, but it would make no difference in my spending on Blu Rays. 0 0%
Undecided 0 0%
No 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 122 Old 02-17-2008, 03:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Basically, I just wanted to start the ball rolling from the enthusiast early adopter market to politely ask the movie studios to please exchange all of our HD-DVD collections for the exact same titles on Blu Ray. If the studios will not do this then I implore ([EDIT]: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/implore) the retailers to step in and do the right thing. If everybody on the AVS Forums were to unite for this cause we would be able to submit this thread as evidence that there is a strong need for such an exchange program in order to promote goodwill towards the consumer.

This move would help the transition over to Blu Ray with the minimum of hard feelings and financial damage and might help improve the image of corporate film studios in the eyes of the enthusiast and lay consumer.

Please post to show your support for this request from all of the major studios and/or retailers.

Gratefully yours,

Alex

P.S. I own both formats and players but would prefer not to have a mixed collection as replacing the HD-DVD player, if it were to become non-functional, would be impossible in the very near future.

[EDIT 1]: I am open to any solution that the studios/retailers might offer, like an exchange program with a nominal or even for profit fee, partial credits, full exchange, whatever it is that would help make the transition complete. I did not say they must do this, I said I would like for them to do this. There is a difference and I know there is only a small chance of this occurring. We all know it does not cost $34.99 to create a Blu Ray -- look at the 5 free Blu Ray deal as well as the Black Friday freebies. Basically, if the studios want to help the consumer they can do so very easily.

For example, if the studios charged cost + 10% + shipping they would still make a profit and at the same time give the HD-DVD early adopters an olive branch and a way out. I personally own a 50/50 split of Blu Ray to HD-DVD and would prefer a 1:1 exchange but would accept almost anything the studios would be willing to offer.

On a quick side note, half my HD-DVDs are still shrink wrapped but the receipts have expired and I do not believe in return fraud.

As for all of the other failed media quips -- they didn't die nearly as quickly as HD-DVD.

Also, I have had the PS3 and Xbox 360 HD-DVD add on since launch of both and never bought a fire sale player.

[EDIT 2]:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post

This thread is about to be closed due to the bickering. Please stop it. IMHO you can "almost" (not perfect) view the format war similar to the 4th quarter of this years super bowl. If NE had intercepted Mannings pass during the last TD series, we'd be talking about Manning as Payton's brother w/o the ring and another NE SB champs....instead Manning is MVP and Giants are the Champs. This war could have gone either way...both sides had their strengths and weaknesses. To belittle the HDdvd supporters and the products is not going to serve anyone. As HDdvd supporters that are showing they can't accept the situation gracefully, that doens't speak well for your side either.

I supported both and have made NO demands, I just basically said, "Wouldn't it be nice if ..." As the old adage goes, it never hurts to ask. I have not nor will I ever be a fan boy and am completely cognizant that this request is unlikely to happen. I think that most of the negative comments are coming from the die hard Blu Ray crew who want the HD-DVD side to suffer as much as possible. Not very mature in my humble opinion. It's not like the Blu Ray supporters will have to financially support the transition. To be quite honest, if it had gone the other way I would have posted the same thing, only for Blu Ray.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 122 Old 02-17-2008, 03:29 AM
Advanced Member

You're making a joke ?

These companys are profit oriented stock market registered and have allready lost a lot in the higdef battle.

They are not the salvation army.

Won't happen.

HD-EP35 & PS3 & (soon to be) Regionfree Oppo BD-93. 148 : 481
post #3 of 122 Old 02-17-2008, 03:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenous View Post

You're making a joke ?

These companys are profit oriented stock market registered and have allready lost a lot in the higdef battle.

Won't happen.

More than likely you are correct. However, if there is enough of an outcry from the public they may be forced to make some sort of concession. This is what I am hoping for. I realize they do it for the money but a potential spike in sales from happy consumers would be worth the short term drain in their coffers. Besides, we are talking about a relatively small group of consumers so the financial drain would not be anywhere near a catastrophy. Heck, some of the studios were talking about an exchange program at this past CES so the idea is not completely far fetched or alien.

Later,

Alex
post #4 of 122 Old 02-17-2008, 03:39 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Won't happen.

You're absolutely right. There is no way this is going to happen.
post #5 of 122 Old 02-17-2008, 03:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
I support the OP as we believed that HD DVD will have a good shelf life. Though it would be too ridiculous to request for a full exchange I would be happy if the Studios can offer some kind of a discount coupon like what BVHE offered for exchanging Con Air, Rock etc.

Blu-ray : 340
post #6 of 122 Old 02-17-2008, 04:04 AM
AVS Special Member

If they offered it, I'd do it.

Fat chance in hell of it happening though.

59 Blu-rays and counting...
post #7 of 122 Old 02-17-2008, 04:05 AM

Quote:

You're making a joke ?

Won't happen.

agree 100%. cost of being an early adopter. if they DO replace them, i'd like to talk to all the studios about replacing my laserdiscs. as an act of good will.

come to think of it, there was a company (animeigo) who offered a substantial discount on the dvd version of one of their tv series releases if you would send them your laserdiscs. i never made the exchange, which turned out to be a good thing since their dvd set was such a disaster.
post #8 of 122 Old 02-17-2008, 04:29 AM
Vel

I really don't see why on earth the studios/retailers would do such thing just because a few early adopters "would prefer not to have a mixed collection" ??
With still such a small catalog on both formats, the financial burden(should somebody's HD collection magically dissappear/stop working!) should be easy to overcome by anyone.
post #9 of 122 Old 02-17-2008, 04:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: East of the Sun, West of the Moon (Home Farm, Emmerdale, Yorks)
Liked: 15
I think you should ask Toshiba to step up to the plate when it comes to assisting with replacing your collections, rather than the studios. They are the one's who led you down the path, as well as a few online retailers who pushed this format rather hard.
post #10 of 122 Old 02-17-2008, 04:35 AM

I don't think it's fair to ask the companies to reimburse your purchases. You took a calculated risk. Now basically you are saying you weren't completely prepared for the risk and that you really thought there was no risk or less risk. Well, that's the nature of risk, and I think it is only appropriate to deal with the consequences.

I'll admit I bought Blu-ray, but in November / December, I almost bought an HD DVD player. I was hesitating, waiting for a christmas sale, doubting whether I needed to spend that money now when I just got into the HD scene in July, etc. Anyhow, I was afraid Blu-ray may fade, so I was prepared to move to HD DVD if that is how it turned out. It sounds like some of you really were not equally ready to move to Blu-ray if it worked out that way.

Honestly, they sold you a device with capabilities and media that apparently work, so as long as those are functional, I really don't see what claim you might have for even requesting the trade.

I am not against it if the companies voluntarily decide to pursue that course, it's their perogative, but I think it is a bit lame for the consumer to request or to try force the companies to, in these types of instances. Speaking of good faith, where is it?
post #11 of 122 Old 02-17-2008, 04:44 AM

IMHO the poll didn't imply studios would make it for free.

They could perceive a fee that would cover the cost of Blu-Ray replication, they could even make some profit. And they'll benefit from grateful customers who will be more prone to buy from them in the future.

That would make sense for everyone.
post #12 of 122 Old 02-17-2008, 04:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinee View Post

agree 100%. cost of being an early adopter. if they DO replace them, i'd like to talk to all the studios about replacing my laserdiscs. as an act of good will.

I've owned Top Gun on VHS, Laserdisc, DVD and HD. What I want to know is, do I have to take four free copies on Blu-ray or can I take Top Gun and the Mission Impossible box set?

Seriously, I think the studios may as a marketing/goodwill gesture do something like "send in proof of purchase of the HD and BD and receive a coupon for five dollars off a future purchase."

Blu Loyal, HD Flexible
22 Blu, 10 Red + Heroes + Smallville Season 6
post #13 of 122 Old 02-17-2008, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivaw View Post

IMHO the poll didn't imply studios would make it for free.

They could perceive a fee that would cover the cost of Blu-Ray replication, they could even make some profit. And they'll benefit from grateful customers who will be more prone to buy from them in the future.

That would make sense for everyone.

This scenario is somewhat more likely.
Exchange your HD DVD disk for a blu-ray one at a comparitively nominal cost to buying a blu-ray disc new.
No loss involved, even a small profit, lots of goodwill and overall it will grow their profits without having to take a short term hit.
post #14 of 122 Old 02-17-2008, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Would you please add 8-tracks, cassettes, and beta tapes to the list?
post #15 of 122 Old 02-17-2008, 05:14 AM

and novelizations ! and used movie tickets !
post #16 of 122 Old 02-17-2008, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docjan_uk View Post

Exchange your HD DVD disk for a blu-ray one at a comparitively nominal cost to buying a blu-ray disc new.
No loss involved, even a small profit, lots of goodwill and overall it will grow their profits without having to take a short term hit.

I agree. Disney already gives you a small discount on buying different forms of their movies (get a small rebate if you send in your DVD receipt & UPC plus the UPC from the old VHS of the same movie, for example). I believe the same applies to their Blurays. I hope nobody in this thread actually thinks they will get anything for free. *especially* if you bought a player at firesale prices, which means Toshiba already subsidized your purchase by selling it to you below cost.

The entire point of buying the movie is to have it available to watch repeatedly instead of having to download it or rent it. The HD-DVD players still work and have equivalent quality to Bluray (superior features on some discs, even, due to immaturity of Bluray profiles). If you bought a HD-DVD player and watched your movies repeatedly on it, why should you be entitled to a free Bluray disc? Is there a place where you can exchange your D-Theater tapes for Bluray? Because, you know, I shouldn't be "inconvenienced" by having a library of mixed optical & magnetic media?
post #17 of 122 Old 02-17-2008, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandertyler View Post

Basically, I just wanted to start the ball rolling from the enthusiast early adopter market to politely ask the movie studios to please exchange all of our HD-DVD collections for the exact same titles on Blu Ray. If the studios will not do this then I implore the retailers to step in and do the right thing. If everybody on the AVS Forums were to unite for this cause we would be able to submit this thread as evidence that there is a strong need for such an exchange program in order to promote goodwill towards the consumer.

This move would help the transition over to Blu Ray with the minimum of hard feelings and financial damage and might help improve the image of corporate film studios in the eyes of the enthusiast and lay consumer.

Please post to show your support for this request from all of the major studios and/or retailers.

Gratefully yours,

Alex

P.S. I own both formats and players but would prefer not to have a mixed collection as replacing the HD-DVD player, if it were to become non-functional, would be impossible in the very near future.

That will never happen. If you do not want your HD-DVD titles, sell them.
PS: And let's stop blaming Toshiba, although Toshiba is the most important HD-DVD hardware manufacturer, there are studios and plenty of other companies in the HD-DVD Group.
post #18 of 122 Old 02-17-2008, 05:19 AM
Vel

Quote:
Originally Posted by docjan_uk View Post

I agree with minor adjustment: The only scenario most likely to happen is the "rebate scenario", HDDVD proof of purchase for a rebate coupon. That would create goodwill & income and help push more discs while getting rid of the hassle of actually exchanging any physical disks.
post #19 of 122 Old 02-17-2008, 06:17 AM
Advanced Member

When you take your chances on new technology and it fails, you're out of luck.
post #20 of 122 Old 02-17-2008, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 92
(Apologies to the OP, as this is not intended as a personal attack.) I know this is going to seem mean-spirited, but I hope that the BDA doesn't do anything at all to facilitate HD-DVD supporters switching over to Blu-ray. They made their choice early on just like the rest of us, and they were particularly vicious in their overall treatment of Blu-ray and its supporters; even now that the end is near they continue to denigrate the format, the manufacturers (in particular, Sony), and dream up absurd conspiracy theories to explain HD-DVD's defeat. And I don't think Toshiba owes any of us anything, either. We talked the talk, and now we need to just walk the walk....everybody who predicted this would be another VHS versus BETA disaster for Sony needs to just man up, accept defeat, and move on. All this whining, denial, and utter nonsense about what should be done to "compensate" the backers of the losing format is nothing more than a waste of bandwidth.

It is appalling to think that this is what we have been reduced to: demanding luxuries for absolute pennies and having massive temper tantrums when things don't go our way. The ones I find particularly irritating are the posters who only got into HD-DVD when the players were practically being given away at Walmart, and who now have the audacity to complain about the way things worked out. So you're out a few hundred dollars overall? Have you stopped to think how many Toshiba employees (both here and abroad) are going to have to pay for their company's lack of foresight? Do you actually think Toshiba wanted to abruptly cease production of their cash-cow (DLP)? They probably had no other choice but to do so in order to redirect precious financial resources to HD-DVD.

Lets get real, people. At the end of the day, you've got a device which will still play the high definition discs you purchased as well as those standard def DVDs you already own. Sony haters can rest assured that Toshiba will eventually begin marketing Blu-ray machines (they cannot afford not to), so you won't have to "sell out" in order to continue enjoying HDM. And those of you who cannot move beyond this "great loss" can comfort yourselves in the knowledge that eventually we will all be downloading our entertainment in one form or another.
post #21 of 122 Old 02-17-2008, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Why is this not in the HD DVD area, as it only applies to people who own HD DVDs?
post #22 of 122 Old 02-17-2008, 06:29 AM
Advanced Member

How about a DVD trade in program while they are at it?
post #23 of 122 Old 02-17-2008, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Gee, it is only HT not life and death. I would never ask for any exchange. I both both formats knowing that one was likely to fail. In fact, all the formats fail eventually. My player still works and my films still look and sound great. In fact, I am picking up another player to store for when my other craps out.
post #24 of 122 Old 02-17-2008, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Why would it become imposible to buy a HD-DVD player?. Sure they will stop selling players New some day.
But you be able to buy players online or even "new" in the Box as I suspect their will be a lot of boxstock lying around for atleast a few years.

But I think my A1 will work for years. But just in case I'm going to buy a A35.
post #25 of 122 Old 02-17-2008, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
This thread is proof that Toshiba's subsidized players brought people into the market who are not true early adopters and don't understand or except the risks we take as such.
post #26 of 122 Old 02-17-2008, 08:07 AM

I'm not buying into Blu-ray, so I'd rather keep my HD-DVDs.
post #27 of 122 Old 02-17-2008, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post

This thread is proof that Toshiba's subsidized players brought people into the market who are not true early adopters and don't understand or except the risks we take as such.

i would be in hardware/software heaven if i got an exchange or rebate program for all the failed formats i bought into the years. the fact is
its always been a crap shoot for early adopters,as stated before you
have to have a love of this hobby or find one that you do love.
post #28 of 122 Old 02-17-2008, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member

You made the wrong choice. No one forced you to buy the player or the discs. Next time, sit on the sidelines.
post #29 of 122 Old 02-17-2008, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokilarry View Post

You're absolutely right. There is no way this is going to happen.

+1

I support Region-Free/OAR!
post #30 of 122 Old 02-17-2008, 08:18 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 578
Why would I want to exchange my HD DVDs for BDs? The functionality wouldn't be the same.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Closed Thread HDTV Software Media Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page