Streaming Video from iMac to my Plasma TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 10-14-2008, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am new to this and would really appreciate some help. I just bought an HD video camera (Sony CX-12) and want to save the video (AVCHD format) to my iMac. My challenge is, once saved, how to get it to play on my TV (in another room). I also have time capsule. I know I can use Apple TV, but as I understand it, that won't give me the 720p HD quality of the video. I have also heard PS3 would work well. Because I am not that technologically savvy, any solution would have to be relatively simple. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-14-2008, 09:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

I know I can use Apple TV, but as I understand it, that won't give me the 720p HD quality of the video

Basically, if you want to go this route, what you're up against is this--the aTV is only so powerful, so you'll have to convert the very demanding AVCHD into a less demanding format that the aTV supports. Look for threads like this that describe the process and tools involved, then read up on the codecs and what's involved:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....sageID=7212267

then you can decide if it's worth the time and effort. It might be better to go with a full-fledged Mac in the other room directly connected to your HDTV.

Just as an aside, this isn't an arena to play in if you aren't technologically savvy, home theater takes time, effort and commitment. Fortunately there are a lot of others trying to do the same thing, plenty of good tutorials and threads, so good luck...
post #3 of 3 Old 10-14-2008, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thx for your advice Chefklc. Pretty good threads on this topic on a couple of different forums, so it seems manageable. I'm coming to the conclusion that ATV is likely the way to go, as the compatibility and ease of use probably trumps the minor (I hope) loss of video quality. Does anyone have a view on the liklihood of ATV being upgraded anytime soon to give it more power?
Reply HTPC - Mac Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page