HDPVR Support on the Mac (HDPVRCapture) - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-17-2008, 05:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
got my HD-PVR today, hooked it up to my 'other' machine, . . there were problems.
downloaded the 1.3 demo from steventoth.net, . . no problems at all, very impressive, . . went back and ordered the full version.
afraid to say what my 'other' machine is, but my Mac is a new MacBookPro 15".
captures look good on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2008, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

cnolan011: Thanks.

Let me know if you have any issues or questions.

- Steve
Old 12-18-2008, 01:23 PM

I'm definitely going to try this tonight. Currently i do the following:

Using VMWARE running Windows off my macbook pro:

1. Use rcTVcap to capture my shows
2. I convert the .ts file using handbrake on osx using the CLI
3. then i use mpeg stream clip to remove the commercials and then save the file.

This APP i will definitely purchase as is. I don't want to use vmware anymore.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by june03 View Post

I'm definitely going to try this tonight. Currently i do the following:

Using VMWARE running Windows off my macbook pro:

1. Use rcTVcap to capture my shows
2. I convert the .ts file using handbrake on osx using the CLI
3. then i use mpeg stream clip to remove the commercials and then save the file.

This APP i will definitely purchase as is. I don't want to use vmware anymore.

I got it running, very simple. However, I recorded a 30 min show, went great. Then I started to record a 2hrs show, bitrate began to decrease slowly from 8mbps and i ended up stopping it when it hit 4mbps. I had to reboot my mac. These are the settings i'm using:

./HDPVRCapture -t 01:00:00 -A RCA -V COMPONENT -a AAC -f -l 1 -o /Volumes/DATA/HD_PVR_Dumps/test.ts -P1 -B CBR -b 8000000 -p 8000000 -P1

Why did i choose these settings? I like the output. Setting it at 7500000 was also good. The default of 550000 wasnt to happy when i played it on a 42inch plasma, anything higher than 7500000 was very good.

I plan on watching the dumps on Western Digital's WD-TV. Another thing, when I play the file in Quicktime, i get the green screen. I have perian installed. I've been looking on the net for an answer to this issue, tried a few things, nothing yet. VLC plays fine. Any suggestions?
Old 12-19-2008, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

june03: Green screen can be because of a lack of perian, or because you're capturing interlaced content - which quicktime doesn't appear to like.

Try progressive content (720p), I never have green screen issues with that.

Can you describe in a little more detail what happened when the bitrate dropped and why you had to reboot?
Old 12-19-2008, 08:02 AM

I have perian installed. I tried playing the file in quicktime on a macbook pro and a mac pro, same result. I'm recording off a recorded show on a Sci-Atlanta 8300. There is an option on the box to set it to only do 720p, which i did. What do u mean by progressive content? How can I change that?

As far as the bitrate dropping, its happen twice. Once last night and just this morning. The bitrate and the captured count kept dropping slowly, but it was an hour long show that was 5 min into recording, so i didnt want to wait for it to finish. Last night i just powered off the PVR and ran the commands again. I reboot mac this morning because i was not home to power off and on the PVR. I ssh into my pc at home to start the capture and controlled the TV using slingbox. I'm running an hr long capture now, its running at 8mbps, looks good so far. The only thing i can think of, is i have a 15ft USB cable running from the HD-PVR to my mac pro.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

june03: I use a SA4250 with fixed output set to 720p (progressive). if you've fixed the output resolution also to 720p then you're golden. Make sure that on the front panel display they IT DOES say 720p for the program you're recording. The 8300 can switch resolutions on the fly.

HDPVRCapture will happily capture different resolutions, but the post progressing steps (and quicktime) get really unhappy with 1080i, 480i in my experience. I have had one report of 480p recordings also returning green video (in quicktime) but the file was fine in VLC.

In a nutshell, regardless of resolution the capturing is usually fine, it's the integration with quicktime which becomes a challenge (without resorting to lengthy transcoding).

Keep an eye on your system load if/when you see that falling bitrate again. I've stress tested on a couple of very busy platfoms with HDPVRCapture and never seen an issue, but I guess we have a first time for everything.

I never _EVER_ use 15ft USB cables, that might be a factor worth ruling out.

- Steve
Old 12-19-2008, 08:46 AM

I agree with the 15th USB cable. I was able to figure out why i was getting the green screen on quicktime. It had to do with the bitrate mode:

-B CBR or AVG (default AVG)

Originally i was using CBR, once i left it at its default, I was able to view the file in quicktime. Thanks for your help. I will look into getting longer component cables instead of using the 15th USB cable.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

june03: CBR vs AVG is an interesting observation, thanks. I'll look into that. In principle I would of guessed that this would not impact anything.... Maybe I'm wrong on that. If so I'll make sure I update the FAQ.
Old 12-20-2008, 07:09 AM

Before i start to jump into issues related to my captures, I want to ask about samples posted {http://www.steventoth.net/hdpvrsamples/}:
I get the greenscreen in quicktime on all of the .MP4 files, but the audio plays fine.
In VLC they play fine, A/V.
Does anyone get these to play fine in quicktime?

TS files play fine in VLC, and course do not play in Quicktime
When loading all of the TS files into to VisualHub v.1.34 with the following settings, they work absolutely perfect
To: iTunes
Optimize for: Apple TV
Quality: Go Nuts
[x] H.264 Encoding
-----
I do not touch the Advance settings at all
-----------------
MacBookPro(new) 15 - 2.53 GHz
OSX 10.5.6
Perian 1.1.3
Quicktime v7.5.7 w/Mpeg2 plugin
Old 12-20-2008, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

cnolan011: Install the latest perian, those .mp4 samples will play perfectly in quicktime.
Old 12-20-2008, 07:55 AM

i might be wrong, or there might be somewhere else to get perian, but i am using 1.1.3 and their website says that is the latest version, perian.org
Old 12-22-2008, 06:47 PM

I ended up removing 1.1.3 and then installed 1.1.2 and all is well, no more green screen
Old 12-26-2008, 01:53 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm a bit lost here. First, will I be able to do what you're doing with a MacBook Pro Santa Rosa 2.2GHz 8600M GT?

Are you running an HDTV source through the MacBook Pro and then able to record it? I got lost with the talk of a separate DVR box. But are you just running through it and out somehow to the MB Pro?

If so, are you able to record to the Pro HDD and copy to DVD as long as it isn't copyrighted material?

The windows talk confused me. Are you doing this with Mac OSX 10.5+?

I'm very interested in this. Thanks!
Old 12-26-2008, 07:05 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

I got lost with the talk of a separate DVR box

that separate DVR box, and software in OS X 10.5+ to run it, is what this thread is about--the Hauppauge--which connects to your Mac via USB--takes advantage of the "analog hole" and records high def over the component out of a cable STB (or another HDTV source.)

Google "Hauppauge HD PVR" to catch up, it was Windows only until Steve Toth started his project (this thread) and until El Gato released an EyeTV beta which supports the device.
Old 12-26-2008, 04:45 PM

Thank you chef. Either way I've learned some things on what it takes to run HD content using a PC. Which now leads me to this ?.

"System Requirements

* Processor Requirements (minimum):
o Dual core CPU
* Graphics with 256MB memory (or greater)
Note: the playback of high definition H.264 requires a fast CPU and at least 256MB of graphics memory
* Sound card"

So is my MB Pro not able to do this since it's the 8600M GT 128MB?

If not, has anyone here tried to get this to work?

Thanks!
Old 12-26-2008, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mr Bigins: Install Perian 1.1.2 and download some of the HDPVRCapture .mp4 samples from here http://steventoth.net/hdpvrsamples

They're 720p H.264 captured from my STB component output using the Hauppauge HDPVR HD Encoder. (You'll get green screen during playback if you don't have perian 1.1.2 installed).

Update: I doubled checked some of the .ts files and they play happily on my Santa Rosa 2.4GHz stock Apple MBP in VLC. I suspect you'll be fine. try it.
Old 12-27-2008, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoth View Post

Mr Bigins: Install Perian 1.1.2 and download some of the HDPVRCapture .mp4 samples from here http://steventoth.net/hdpvrsamples

They're 720p H.264 captured from my STB component output using the Hauppauge HDPVR HD Encoder. (You'll get green screen during playback if you don't have perian 1.1.2 installed).

Update: I doubled checked some of the .ts files and they play happily on my Santa Rosa 2.4GHz stock Apple MBP in VLC. I suspect you'll be fine. try it.

I did that and it worked.I especially thought the clip in the shop area, and the last MP4 clip that starts with the cap on the dashboard were excellent. I hooked up my MB Pro to optical audio using multi channel and it sounded great. I also had it running out to my Samsung 50" DLP via DVi and the picture was just like it was on the MB Pro.

Some questions;

1.What would I notice if my MB Pro wasn't powerful enough to do this? There were small issues on outdoor shots that I think were the camera's recording, and not on this end.

2. Will there be any picture size issues. ie Any bars around the playback screen's display? I don't know why there would be. I'm more worried about the output on a SA 4250 HDC cable box regarding this.

3. Is a Blu-ray player the only way to play these burned DVD's with HD content(just wondering)?

4. When recording HDTV content via cable or dish, is it easy to remove the commercials before burning to DVD?

5. Do I not want to upgrade perian to 1.1.3? I haven't yet when it asked.

6. Only the MP4 files played, was that expected?

Thanks for the help and all your work stoth.
Old 12-27-2008, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bigins View Post

I did that and it worked.I especially thought the clip in the shop area, and the last MP4 clip that starts with the cap on the dashboard were excellent. I hooked up my MB Pro to optical audio using multi channel and it sounded great. I also had it running out to my Samsung 50" DLP via DVi and the picture was just like it was on the MB Pro.

Some questions;

1.What would I notice if my MB Pro wasn't powerful enough to do this? There were small issues on outdoor shots that I think were the camera's recording, and not on this end.

Probably major stuttering issues during playback, video frame dropping most likely. One way to simulate this would be to run a highly cpu intensize application behind VLC while it's playing, watch activity monitor and ensure both cpu's are 100% busy and you should see video dropping issues when VLC realizes that it can't get enough CPU to decode in realtime. VLC will also start generating warning messages internally, you can also view these via the menus.

Quote:

2. Will there be any picture size issues. ie Any bars around the playback screen's display? I don't know why there would be. I'm more worried about the output on a SA 4250 HDC cable box regarding this.

I use a SA4250HD. If the black bars are in the original signal then the encoder will preserved them, if not - no - you won't see any bars. On some of my channels the cable network generates grey bars left and right around 4x3 content. I think you may see that in one or two of the samples. For HD content, ABC for example, this is captured in gorgeous 16x9. In short the encoder doesn't strip or add anything, what the STB sends is what gets captured.

Quote:

3. Is a Blu-ray player the only way to play these burned DVD's with HD content(just wondering)?

No. Why not stream the recorded file via upnp to a PS3? That's what I do, it cuts out the need for physical media what-so-ever.

Quote:

4. When recording HDTV content via cable or dish, is it easy to remove the commercials before burning to DVD?

No idea to be honest, I've never done it. From what I hear MPGStream will correctly cut one of the mp4's (produced during HDPVRCapture post processing automatically) but I can't say I've ever tried that. I guess you could try that with one of the sample clips.

Quote:

5. Do I not want to upgrade perian to 1.1.3? I haven't yet when it asked.

Read back through the history. Another member reported green video during payback with 1.1.3 in quicktime. Downgrading to v1.1.2 fixed it. This isn't evident in VLC with 720p captures, as you've already seen.

Quote:

6. Only the MP4 files played, was that expected?

Yes. Quicktime doesn't (10.5.6) support .ts with H.264 and AC3/AAC. VLC should play them nicely through, if you don't want HDPVRCapture to spend the couple of minutes after each recording creating a quicktime compatible .mp4 version for you.

You might want to go back through the history and read the posts.

Quote:

Thanks for the help and all your work stoth.

Kind words, thanks

- Steve
Old 12-27-2008, 11:56 AM

Steve,

This is a really excellent project. After reading this thread, I ordered the HD PVR and I'll be ordering HDPVR capture as soon as the box comes in.

My setup is a mac mini 1.6 GHz, core duo and I run everything through front row and then through a surround capable audio receiver. So, I'd really like to be able to preserver the 5.1 AC3 audio.

I have a couple of questions.

1. is there a solution to the 60 fps h.264 video stream? From earlier discussion in this thread, it seems that this frame rate will be too much for both AppleTV and a mac mini. When I run the .ts streams through visualhub, I end up with a 30fps file. Any way to do this without transcoding?

2. when I try the ac3/aac .mov samples that have been posted, I can't get the ac3 portion of the audio to play through quicktime or frontrow. I get a static noise through the receiver (other files with ac3 audio work fine). This is after turning on the ac3 track and turning off the aac track through quicktime pro.

Is ac3 5.1 surround working for other people (when you play a file through a 5.1 capable receiver, it should tell you that it is receiving a dolby digital signal)?

thanks in advance!
Old 12-27-2008, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arfung View Post

Steve,

This is a really excellent project. After reading this thread, I ordered the HD PVR and I'll be ordering HDPVR capture as soon as the box comes in.

Kind words, thanks arfung.

Quote:

My setup is a mac mini 1.6 GHz, core duo and I run everything through front row and then through a surround capable audio receiver. So, I'd really like to be able to preserver the 5.1 AC3 audio.

Preserving the 5.1 is possible, we've already done this in quicktime without transcoding. I added this as post processing type #4 sometime ago, although WillC pointed out recently that it appears to be broken. It needs my attention over the next week or two.[/quote]

Quote:

I have a couple of questions.

1. is there a solution to the 60 fps h.264 video stream? From earlier discussion in this thread, it seems that this frame rate will be too much for both AppleTV and a mac mini. When I run the .ts streams through visualhub, I end up with a 30fps file. Any way to do this without transcoding?

We don't have a good solution to the 60fps, it's a 'feature' of the hardware and not something I can change. BUT... read back through the archive, a couple of people have had reasonable success lowering the bitrates to compensate for the lack of CPU horsepower. We speculated around 2 or 2.5mbps 720p should playback pretty OK on the AppleTV, without having to transcode.

Quote:

2. when I try the ac3/aac .mov samples that have been posted, I can't get the ac3 portion of the audio to play through quicktime or frontrow. I get a static noise through the receiver (other files with ac3 audio work fine). This is after turning on the ac3 track and turning off the aac track through quicktime pro.

Quicktime/frontrow plays the 5.1 for me, do you have perian installed - correct? Which url in particular is causing you issues? I'll double check it.

Quote:

Is ac3 5.1 surround working for other people (when you play a file through a 5.1 capable receiver, it should tell you that it is receiving a dolby digital signal)?

I personally DON'T play the files much through the AppleTV, I use a PS3 (where I know the AC3 plays fine). That being said, we've had some hit and miss reports of 5.1 working. It's 100% fine in VLC. Prior to the post processing #4 bug we had 5.1 files playing 100% reliably in Quicktime - so I need to fix this.

What I haven't (yet) got around to doing is adding both the AAC and 5.1 tracks to the mp4's so the AppleTV can do both. Some discussion on the thread was had about this (please refer back) and most members want the feature so I plan to add it in the near future.

V2 is coming out very soon. It's taking the lions share of my time as I think many (if not all) users will want this rather than a command line version.

Welcome aboard.

- Steve
Old 12-27-2008, 01:25 PM

Steve,

Thanks for your quick reply. I do have perian (1.13) installed for AC3 decoding. I do most of my encodes in .mkv containers but .avi containers (h.264/ac3) also seem to work pretty well.

I've tried a bunch of clips, two of which are on Michael Lax's idisk:

http://idisk.mac.com/michaellax-Public?view=web

Neither of these worked:

Elephant's Dream.720p25.H264.AC3.AAC.mov

and then in the "VisualHub" transcode folder:

Bears.H264.AC3.AAC.mov

The video works fine, but no luck with the sound.

Do you have a sample that is direct output with 5.1 track from your -P4 profile? I looked in the samples on your blog site, but it wasn't clear to me which file I should test there.

Thanks a ton!
Old 12-27-2008, 04:39 PM

I caught the post
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=268

i updated as mentioned in the post, but i am still getting the error, and no mp4 file
also noticed that the bit rate dropped as time went on. when testing with capture times less than an hour the appears to be no issue.

thanks
Code:
new-host:bin cnolan$ ./HDPVRCapture -t 01:10:00 -b 12000000 -P1

HDPVRCapture v1.3.0 (Nov 25 2008 @ 21:48:47)
Downloads are available from www.steventoth.net
Copyright 2008, Steven Toth.
License for: cnolan@cmu.edu HDPVR:0x00A25386

Output filename: 2008.12.27-171721.ts
Duration: 01:10:00 (4200 seconds)
Monitor via VLC: No (default)
Bitrate     : 12000000 bps
Peak Bitrate: 20000000 bps
Device: 0 (default)
Audio Boost: Disabled (default)
Audio Encode: AAC
Audio Input Mux: RCA
Video Input Mux: COMPONENT
Bitrate Mode: AVG (default)
GOP Mode: SIMPLE (default)
Lights: OFF (default)
Ir Blaster:
 Region: 
 Device: 
 Vendor: 
 Codeset: 
 Channel#: 707
 Min digits to send: 4
 Needs Enter: No (default)
 Wait State: 0 (Abort Record (default))
Post Processing with profile #1 [add to itunes = No (default)]
Searching for HDPVR devices, vendor ID=0x2040 product ID=0x4900,0x4901

Found HDPVR, serial number = 00A25386
Captured: 2828189696 bytes, success.                                         

Starting post processing for profile#1
Extracting Video
Extracting AAC Audio
Creating staging file
HDPVR1212: Failed, No such file or directory
HDPVR1212: Perhaps the temporary audio/video files do not exist?
Cleaning up
Post processing complete
new-host:bin cnolan$
Old 12-28-2008, 04:24 AM

A couple of questions about using a PS3. Are you able to run anything on a MB Pro wifi through to an HD display with HDMi?

Will any PS3 work with doing this?

Is it better to get a smaller HD and exchange for a larger HDD internally? If yes, how hard is it to get the new HDD set up to work in the PS3 normally?

I've been doing as much reading as I can on using a PS3 with a mac ect. But I just got my MB Pro the 2nd week of December and have been buisy with the holidays. So I'm fairly new to alot of this including mac OS Leopard.

So any help is appreciated.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:12 AM

still having some problems with the second phase of converting TS file to profile-1, which is now failing on all of my files, but I am probably doing something wrong, so I will have to take a step back and review my process.
On another note, the TS files are of very high quality, and i just take them and convert them in VisualHub and then edit them in StreamClip, . . absolutely perfect.
In the past week i have messed with a few other options (beyondtv, the bundled HD-PVR software, some solutions solutions created by windows people), all on a windows machine, and have not been satisfied at all, none of them get me the what i want, a file that plays in HD on my AppleTV loaded through iTunes, except for the solution that Steve has provided here.
Great job, and an incredible level of support.
I do look forward to v2.0, but i will probably stick with the command line version, but whatever the case the product is well worth the the cost.
thanks for providing us with this tool, if it wasnt for your software i would be trying to return my HD-PVR
Old 12-28-2008, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

cnolan011: I fixed a bug a recently with files > 4gb during post process stage, it's actually a bug in MP4Box. I'm running some tests on that build now. If it's good I'll post 1.3.1 later tonight.
Old 12-28-2008, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mr Bigins:

I'm not sure what question your asking regarding the MBP, you need to rephrase it.

I'll take a shot at your question anyway. I think your asking can you stream over wifi to the PS3 for playback over PS3 and HDMI. Probably. I don't use wifi because it's generally unreliable but in a pinch I've used it a few times to stream files from my MBP to my PS3... (MBP was wifi to my home LAN, PS3 was wired to lan).

You don't need to change the HD on the PS3 at all. I have a 40gb stock unit which plays things happily. (The files get streamed from your mac to the ps3, they are not stored on the PS3). Any PS3 will stream, although I'm using a 40gb non-ps2 compatible version.

- Steve
Old 12-28-2008, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

HDPVRCapture v1.3.1 has been released.

One bugfix related to post processing #1 (reported by cnolan011). See the blog:

http://steventoth.net/blog/hdpvr-capture/

WillC, I still have your post processing #4 issue to resolve. Currently running post processing #4 will results in an audio-less mp4 file.

- Steve
Old 12-30-2008, 04:13 PM

Helo, I've ordered my PS3 and will want to check out how that works before investing in the HD-PVR and software. Money is starting to become a problem for me. Quick questions;

Will I need anything to stream video from my MBP to the PS3? I thought I read that there are software options for working with a PS3 and a Mac.

I thought you can use the PS3's HDD along with a MacBook pro? Like use it for a personal music and movie library ect.

Will there be new hardware for when(whenever it is) the HD-PVR includes 1080P recording?

I didn't see a "Dolby Digital" option during set up. I went with Multi Channel over "Dolby II".

I know you're busy, thanks.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mr Bigins: Google MediaTomb and check the thread history for more instructions on that, including a configuration file.

Your other questions are too cryptic for me, can you rephrase them and give me some hint or context?

I'm also not sure what you're referring to "Dolby Digital" etc.

- Steve