HDPVR Support on the Mac (HDPVRCapture) - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 1194 Old 01-21-2009, 10:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Also VLC 0.9.8. Not sure how to force the Explorer 8300 to output 720p. Version 2.0.7 is the only one I've spent time with. Yes did the same capture under windows with the same result. Again, the video plays with many random stops. The problem is on the STB/video file end-only hope it doesn't happen with all copy once. Will try over weekend. Your help and support is great BTW.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1194 Old 01-21-2009, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

warunek: It sounds like you have broken hardware. The Mac or Windows software is exhibiting the same problem, which rules out a software bug.

To be 100% sure, feed in a completely different video signal (perhaps a dvd player or a video camera) and so a standard definition 480i capture under windows (or Mac). If the same issue persists then it's like a hardware problem, contact Hauppauge tech support and arrange for repair.

If the video is fine then it's something very odd with the video coming out of your 8300.

- Steve
post #453 of 1194 Old 01-21-2009, 12:32 PM

Connected a VHS deck with composite on your app. and the video plays back normally. Did 5 runs and it stops with "error during request" after 30-90 MB files.
post #454 of 1194 Old 01-21-2009, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by warunek View Post

Connected a VHS deck with composite on your app. and the video plays back normally. Did 5 runs and it stops with "error during request" after 30-90 MB files.

Ignore this: Can I get download access to one of those failed 30MB files?

Update: I've just seen the same 'Error during request;'problem but only with composite. I'll get you a fix for this tonight.

- Steve
post #455 of 1194 Old 01-21-2009, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

warunek: You'll want to read what I'm about to say....

http://steventoth.net/blog

HDPVRCapture is out of beta, v2.0.8 has been released and with the exception of one long standing post processing bug it's been pretty stable and reliable for me. (Sorry Will - I'll get on this shortly)

2.0.8 is a recommended download for everyone, especially if you're one of the unlucky few who've been experiencing strange hangs or lockups during capturing (Error during request messages). This was the last major bug to be resolved so I hope you can all enjoy 2.0.8

As always, many thanks to all of you.

If you have any new issues or problems you'd like to discuss then I'm all ears.

- Steve
post #456 of 1194 Old 01-21-2009, 05:44 PM
Advanced Member

The reason I was asking about DVHS was strictly for archive purpose, as Steve mentioned.

Thanks,
Steve
post #457 of 1194 Old 01-21-2009, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speters View Post

The reason I was asking about DVHS was strictly for archive purpose, as Steve mentioned.

Ahh, that makes sense.

Did you try any of the tests I mentioned with one of the .TS / .M2TS samples files?
post #458 of 1194 Old 01-23-2009, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoth View Post

warunek: You'll want to read what I'm about to say....

http://steventoth.net/blog

HDPVRCapture is out of beta, v2.0.8 has been released and with the exception of one long standing post processing bug it's been pretty stable and reliable for me. (Sorry Will - I'll get on this shortly)

- Steve

Promises, promises...

(No, I'm kidding. I'm playing around with the app now, it looks good.)
post #459 of 1194 Old 01-24-2009, 01:10 AM

But still having a problem.

My hardware is #49001, Rev. E1, Nov. 18

Next suggestion...?
post #460 of 1194 Old 01-24-2009, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoyells View Post

But still having a problem.

My hardware is #49001, Rev. E1, Nov. 18

Next suggestion...?

I picked up your private email, if you had the device replaced then I'll need to generate a new license file for you, otherwise you'r operating in demo mode.

I'll send the new license file now.
post #461 of 1194 Old 01-24-2009, 09:45 AM

Can you recommend an app. for converting the AVC codec to mpeg 2?
Thanks
post #462 of 1194 Old 01-24-2009, 10:43 AM

Couple of quick suggestions for the next version of the post-Beta GUI:

1. There needs to be a duration timer for manual records in the GUI itself.
2. Settings are not persistent, i.e., changes to bitrate, VLC monitor on/off, etc. have to be reset with every new instance of the program.
post #463 of 1194 Old 01-24-2009, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Collier View Post

Couple of quick suggestions for the next version of the post-Beta GUI:

1. There needs to be a duration timer for manual records in the GUI itself.

Agreed.

Quote:

2. Settings are not persistent, i.e., changes to bitrate, VLC monitor on/off, etc. have to be reset with every new instance of the program.

This feature already exists. Go into preferences/Misc and uncheck 'Always use default application settings on startup.'. You notice (bottom left of main window) the Application status changes from 'default' to 'custom'. All (or most) of your settings will be sticky after this).

- Steve
post #464 of 1194 Old 01-24-2009, 11:04 AM

Quote:

This feature already exists. Go into preferences/Misc and uncheck 'Always use default application settings on startup.'. You notice (bottom left of main window) the Application status changes from 'default' to 'custom'. All (or most) of your settings will be sticky after this).

- Steve

Ah, thanks, I missed that.

FYI, I'm using the manual work-around from several pages back to cram stuff into .movs for the time being. I'll let you know if I have any issues with v2.0 recordings.
post #465 of 1194 Old 01-24-2009, 11:51 AM

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post15578714

stoth: THis problem has been fixed with your latest release, . .

once again i am overly satisfied with your product and look forward to your continued development and support
post #466 of 1194 Old 01-24-2009, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

cnolan011: Great, thanks for the feedback.
post #467 of 1194 Old 01-24-2009, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Ah, thanks, I missed that.

FYI, I'm using the manual work-around from several pages back to cram stuff into .movs for the time being. I'll let you know if I have any issues with v2.0 recordings.

I fixed this today! Woot.

... but in doing so I also noticed (again) the old unresolved issue where quicktime and mediainfo mac disagree on the audio codec, when using the manual steps in Quicktime or now automatic conversion mechanism in HDPVRCapture:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post15084396

Can you spend a couple of minutes and compare the audio properties in the Quicktime Inspector for your manually created .mov file, with the mediainfo mac output..... Notice the difference?

Quicktime _DOES_ think it's an AC3 track but mediainfo mac doesn't.

Any comments?

- Steve
post #468 of 1194 Old 01-24-2009, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Regarding AppleTV support.

I went back to some of the early thread discussions I had with MichaelLax (where are you Michael?) regarding AppleTV support. A couple of interesting pieces of information:

1. I added support to mux the AC3 5.1 soundtrack _AND_ a downmixed AAC 2.0 track for the AppleTV. Having the AC3 track be the first sound track, and keeping it disabled. This feature will go into the release build over the next few days.

2. I dropped the result .mov file into the AppleTV iTunes Fooler droplet, which basically adds a 1 seconds tiny audio and video header. This fools itunes and allows you to sync your HDPVR HD capture to the AppleTV for playback.

The results were disappointing. Based on feedback earlier in the thread the suspicion was that keeping the bitrate < 2Mbps resulted in files that the appletv would play reasonably well. Not on my hardware, the framerate looked low and the resulting compression artifacts (on a 52" plasma) were scary. It was watchable at a push.

On a smaller screen it might be possible to drop the bitrate further and have no noticeable drop in quality. ... Maaaaaybe.

Mixed results with the AppleTV to be honest.

The good news out of todays work is that I fixed Will Colliers Post Processing #4 issue and fixed a few other annoy minor bugs.

Onwards and upwards.

- Steve
post #469 of 1194 Old 01-24-2009, 05:07 PM

Quote:

I fixed this today! Woot.

... but in doing so I also noticed (again) the old unresolved issue where quicktime and mediainfo mac disagree on the audio codec, when using the manual steps in Quicktime or now automatic conversion mechanism in HDPVRCapture:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post15084396

Can you spend a couple of minutes and compare the audio properties in the Quicktime Inspector for your manually created .mov file, with the mediainfo mac output..... Notice the difference?

Quicktime _DOES_ think it's an AC3 track but mediainfo mac doesn't.

Any comments?

- Steve

As Carman said to Kenny, "Sweet." Looking forward to trying it out.

I checked my most recent manually-stuffed file, the MediaInfo output indicates "ac-3", and the QuickTime Player Inspector says, "AC3." Maybe it has to do with the way I've been extracting the audio (mplayer -dumpaudio -dumpfile).
post #470 of 1194 Old 01-25-2009, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Will Collier: Sorry, I should of been more specific. Both Quicktime and Mediainfo claim that the manually converted streams are AC3, but mediainfo shows the number of audio channels incorrectly. Quicktime says 5.1, Mediainfo gets confused and doesn't show the 5.1 correctly.

I think this is a mediainfo parsing problem.

This is what mediainfo has to say about a native HDPVR .m2ts recording:
Audio Stream # 1
Codec -> AC-3
Audio Stream Length -> 14s 591ms
Audio Stream BitRate -> 384 Kbps
Audio Stream BitRate Mode -> CBR
Number of Audio Channels -> 6
Audio Channel's Positions -> Front: L C R, Rear: L R, LFE
Sampling Rate -> 48.0 KHz
Audio Stream Delay -> 387ms

This is what is says about the intermedia AC3, that HDPVRCapture extracts and injects into the mov:
Audio Stream # 1
Codec -> AC-3
Number of Audio Channels -> 6
Audio Channel's Positions -> Front: L C R, Rear: L R, LFE
Sampling Rate -> 48.0 KHz

This is what mediainfo says about the resulting mov, even though quicktime claims it's 5.1:
Audio Stream # 1
Codec -> ac-3
Codec (FourCC) -> ac-3
Audio Stream Length -> 14s 400ms
Number of Audio Channels -> 3
Sampling Rate -> 1 Hz
Bit Depth -> 16 bits
Audio Stream Size -> 675 KiB (9%)
Date of Original Encoding -> UTC 1970-01-01 00:00:00

(Notice the differences during parsing?)

I suspect I'm flogging a dead horse and you've already seen this, I'm just trying to confirm that it's not something specific to the way I manually convert, or the way HDPVRCapture also converts.

- Steve
post #471 of 1194 Old 01-25-2009, 03:02 PM

Okay, yeah, I see that too. I don't get the 3-channel thing, either; all the audio is obviously there when you play it back.
post #472 of 1194 Old 01-25-2009, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Okay, yeah, I see that too. I don't get the 3-channel thing, either; all the audio is obviously there when you play it back.

OK, thanks for confirming.
post #473 of 1194 Old 01-25-2009, 03:16 PM

Quote:

OK, thanks for confirming.

It's definitely not because of your software. I get the same "3 channel" result from completely unrelated files, not created with your app.
post #474 of 1194 Old 01-25-2009, 07:12 PM

So I managed to get a completely successful beautiful capture of around 5.8GB. Wonderful audio / video. I've now started 3 other tries and get an "error during request".

This happens at around 3.8 - 4GB on all 3 of the recordings and the blue light stays and HDPVR Capture seems to "close unexpectedly" after the fact.

I'm 49001, Rev.E1 and so close to thinking you've got this thing perfected. Just a bit more help please...

Thanks
post #475 of 1194 Old 01-27-2009, 04:56 AM

Hello -

I have downloaded the post-processed .mp4 sample files and imported them into iMovie 08. Sound works fine but I get the green screen issue, I have also installed Perian 1.1.3 and made the documented changes to the preferences via Terminal. I still get a green screen, Quicktime Player is able to render the samples correctly.

I was hoping that you might be able to help me. My 12 year old son has been wanting to capture his XBOX 360 gameplay for sometime and with him having had a new MacBook for Xmas I figured that the HD PVR would be the way to go. I have a couple of Qs regarding HDPVRCapture that I need answers to:

Is there the possibility of a solution to the iMovie 08 - or 09, happy to upgrade him - green screen issue?

Are there output options that would work with iMovie that would do not require conversion to .mp4?

Is the conversion a lengthy and CPU intensive operation? His clips will be 720p and rarely longer than a 3 - 5 minutes.

Thank you

--
Lee.

--
Lee.
post #476 of 1194 Old 01-27-2009, 05:45 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smirnuff View Post

Hello -

I have downloaded the post-processed .mp4 sample files and imported them into iMovie 08. Sound works fine but I get the green screen issue, I have also installed Perian 1.1.3 and made the documented changes to the preferences via Terminal. I still get a green screen, Quicktime Player is able to render the samples correctly.

I saw this issue with iMovie 08 for the first time a few days ago. Regardless of the capture resolution iMovie 08 appears to have problems thumbnailing the video into either 1920x1080i or 960 x 540, resulting in green video.

What worked for me was to use handbrake (http://handbrake.fr/) to transcode a 1280x720p recording into 960x544. It took a while to import into iMovie 08 but that worked great, although it's slow to transcode. If you have no other alternative then this works.

Quote:

I was hoping that you might be able to help me. My 12 year old son has been wanting to capture his XBOX 360 gameplay for sometime and with him having had a new MacBook for Xmas I figured that the HD PVR would be the way to go.

I know the 720p mp4's import correctly into final cut pro (a little expensive), I suspect (untested) that they will also import correctly into FinalCut Express or iMovie 06.

iMovie 09 is due out any day so hopefully this gets fixed in this release.

Quote:

I have a couple of Qs regarding HDPVRCapture that I need answers to:

Go ahead.

Quote:

Is there the possibility of a solution to the iMovie 08 - or 09, happy to upgrade him - green screen issue?

I have a suspicion that iMovie 06 will work, that's a free download for iMovie 08 users. (http://discussions.apple.com/thread....sageID=8518984). I was unable to find iMovie 06, I think Apple have removed it.

iMovie 09 may help and that's due for release any day now.

Quote:

Are there output options that would work with iMovie that would do not require conversion to .mp4?

Not with iMovie 08. I suspect (untested) that iMovie 07 will take .mp4's but not .m2ts.

Quote:

Is the conversion a lengthy and CPU intensive operation? His clips will be 720p and rarely longer than a 3 - 5 minutes.

No, converting from m2ts to mp4 is very quick. It typically 2-3 minutes per hour of recording. So 3-5 minute clips would be converted into .mp4s in under a minute.

Quote:

Thank you

You're welcome.

- Steve
post #477 of 1194 Old 01-27-2009, 05:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

twoyells: You are running v2.0.8 right? (http://steventoth.net/hdpvrcapture/H...ure_v2.0.8.zip)

If so, trying download 2.0.0-b1 (http://steventoth.net/hdpvrcapture/H...-v2.0.0-b1.zip) and test this, something is odd in your video setup. This would be a good comparison, 2.0.8 vs 2.0.0-b1

Is 2.0.0-b1 more stable than 2.0.8 for you?
post #478 of 1194 Old 01-27-2009, 06:04 AM

Thank you Steve for your quick and informative answers.

As you say FCP is costly and IMO overkill for him. FCE is an option if neither iMovie 06 or 09 offer solutions, the latter would be the preferred and as such iLife 09 has been ordered. I expect iLife to arrive before the HD PVR, expect feedback when we have both if nobody else has provided any in the meantime.

I'm glad to hear that conversion to .mp4 is a quick operation and look forward to buying a license for your application in due course.

Thanks again

--
Lee.

* edit *

iMovie 06/HD can be downloaded here and imports and plays the samples correctly.

--
Lee.
post #479 of 1194 Old 01-27-2009, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Smirnuff: Kind words, thanks.

Great, you found '06, that's good news (I'm downloading now - for reference in the future).
post #480 of 1194 Old 01-27-2009, 04:13 PM

Hi Steve,

Sorry for the long absence. Work has really been calling. You know how that is! Here is a reminder of my setup: Mac Mini 1.66 Intel Core Duo. I have upgraded to OS 10.5.6 and 1 GB of RAM and am using your latest software 2.0.8.

I am having a lot of success capturing content manually by hitting record. I am also able to schedule a recording and it will record at the proper times.

I am not having success with the IR Blaster, and the Titan TV scheduling. First of all, the IR Blaster doesn't seem to work, or I can't find the correct codes for my setup. Also, the method for testing the IR setup is not mentioned, so I'm not really sure how to test it.

When I was using the included Windows software on my PC, I was able to configure and use the IR Blaster.

I am using a Directv HR-22-100 DVR as my source, and I have tried to use the same Prefs in your application as I was on the PC.

Here are my IR Blaster Prefs:
North America
DirecTV
100ms
Check

If you have any specific instructions for testing the IR, I would love to hear them. I am also willing to try anything you want, so let's start with the IR, and once I get that going I will move on to the Titan TV setup.

Thanks.

Casey Mershon
Reply HTPC - Mac Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page