HDPVR Support on the Mac (HDPVRCapture) - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-04-2009, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
CavitySam: Kind words, yeah the quality is fantastic and I'm glad you like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavitySam View Post

Like I said, I'm thrilled with the HD I was able to capture. Hopefully you can help me figure out the SD problems.

Interlaced content captured on the HDPVR (everything that isn't 720p) isn't supported by the Apple or Perian decoders so MP4 playback is a no no. What happens if you play these m2ts files in the very latest version of VLC (0.9.8)?

Same problem?

- Steve

Edit: These non-720p files .mp4's should also play back on other media devices like the PS3.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2009, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hi,

If any reader has written to me via the AVSForum PM inbox system expecting a reply, but didn't get one, feel free to contact me at the email address listed on my blog contact page http://steventoth.net/blog/about/

I've had my suspicions about the reliability of the AVSForum inbox system for a while and today finally confirmed it, it's not to be trusted.

- Steve
Old 02-04-2009, 04:28 PM

Actually, I tried playing them in MPlayer. That's where I saw the gray, jumbled video. I tried in VLC as well (I don't think it was 0.9.8, though) and it crashed on the files. I played my initial 720p files on a PS3 and they were great, but I haven't tried the 480i ones yet. I'll try at home later tonight.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:27 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

... I tried was recording in 720p from a DISH DVR hooked up to a G4 iBook running 10.4 and this went great right out of the box. Recorded beautifully....

I guess I must have missed something. How are you hooking up the DISH box for capturing? I have the DISH VIP-622 sitting next to a Powermac G5 running 10.5.4. Please tell me what connections you are using to get the feed from the DISH to the computer.

Thanks!
Old 02-05-2009, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

btokars: via the Hauppauge HDPVR HD H.264 encoder. Component/SPDIF cables between the STB and the HDPVR then USB to the mac. This thread is about the Mac HDPVRCapture app for the HDPVR, see the original post.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:49 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoth View Post

btokars: via the Hauppauge HDPVR HD H.264 encoder. Component/SPDIF cables between the STB and the HDPVR then USB to the mac. This thread is about the Mac HDPVRCapture app for the HDPVR, see the original post.

OK. Thanks. I understand now.
Old 02-05-2009, 04:00 PM

Quote:

What happens if you play these m2ts files in the very latest version of VLC (0.9.8)?

Same problem?

That fixed it. I was using an older version of VLC after all. Thanks.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:01 PM

Steve, please check your mail, I got a weird bug happening here. Thanks...
Old 02-07-2009, 05:04 PM

Steve, I've had a chance to play around with my setup some more and I'm having a few problems. First, let me describe my setup: As I said before, the HD-PVR is connected to my DISH VIP722 DVR and I'm running HDPVRCapture on a G4 1.2 GHz ibook with 10.4. Also, I'm capturing directly to an external 2.5" USB-powered hard drive.

1) I have tried twice to capture a 2.5-hour movie and it aborted recording both times. The first time it stopped about an hour into recording, the second time at about 1hr55m. The PS3 will not play the aborted recordings, claiming the files are corrupt. VLC WILL play them, though.

2) I still cannot get the .m2ts files converted to mp4 using the conversion pane. When I tried on the iBook, I got the "running" status but there was no evidence that anything else was happening. I waited quite a while and gave up. I tried the same file on my G5 and everything seemed to be going fine but then the process aborted - I believe when it began the muxing phase.

3) The conversion pane, in general, doesn't behave properly for me. Every time I try to drag a file into it, it stalls for a moment then kicks the file back out. Then, if I click the "+", the file shows up along with the next file to be recorded. The next file has the default process applied to it but the recorded file has none.

Just wanted to let you know how things were going. I'm attempting a shorter movie right now. Hopefully everything will go smoothly. Thanks.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Steve, I've had a chance to play around with my setup some more and I'm having a few problems. First, let me describe my setup: As I said before, the HD-PVR is connected to my DISH VIP722 DVR and I'm running HDPVRCapture on a G4 1.2 GHz ibook with 10.4. Also, I'm capturing directly to an external 2.5" USB-powered hard drive.

1) I have tried twice to capture a 2.5-hour movie and it aborted recording both times. The first time it stopped about an hour into recording, the second time at about 1hr55m. The PS3 will not play the aborted recordings, claiming the files are corrupt. VLC WILL play them, though.

The encoder is sensitive to busy systems. If the encoder isn't being 'emptied' fast enough by HDPVRCapture then it stalls. The encoder hangs and the HDPVRCapture app cannot recover it. It could just be that a G4 writing to an external drive is an issue. I can try to repro this on a MBP.

First, does these stalls happen when you capture on your G5 to HD?

Quote:
2) I still cannot get the .m2ts files converted to mp4 using the conversion pane. When I tried on the iBook, I got the "running" status but there was no evidence that anything else was happening. I waited quite a while and gave up. I tried the same file on my G5 and everything seemed to be going fine but then the process aborted - I believe when it began the muxing phase.

HDPVRCapture creates a log file in the same folder that the movie is in. If you're muxing on an external USB drive that's going to take a VERY long time.

Quote:
3) The conversion pane, in general, doesn't behave properly for me. Every time I try to drag a file into it, it stalls for a moment then kicks the file back out.

That sounds wrong. It scans the file and looks for the audio and video formats, which takes < 1 second on my system, possibly longer on older systems if the file is on the USB2 drive.

Quote:
Then, if I click the "+", the file shows up along with the next file to be recorded. The next file has the default process applied to it but the recorded file has none.

The assumption here is that you want to chose the filename manually (not using drag and drop). Right click on the file and choose (Choose File).

Quote:
Just wanted to let you know how things were going. I'm attempting a shorter movie right now. Hopefully everything will go smoothly. Thanks.

Try two things.

1. Try this on your G5 writing to a normal internal drive.
2. Try this on a G5 writing to your external USB drive that you've been using with the G4.
3. Try the G4 recording to the internal drive.

Something is causing the encoder to stall and typically this could be one or two things: 1) either the fact that the host computer becomes very busy and isn't collecting the encoder buffers fast enough. or 2) In the past we've seen the encoder stall if the input video signal breaks, disconnects momentarily, because the STB decides to do strange things with it's HDMI connector (and resets it's output video bus - impacts the component).

Let's try to figure this out.

Good feedback, thanks.

Update: It occurred to me (while I was digging out my G3 350Mhz tower to test with)... Does the G4 ibook have USB2 ports or USB1.1 ports? A quick google says yes. This would also cause long term running issues, if the encoder is unable to deliver high bitrate (>> 1mbps) buffers fast enough.

- Steve
Old 02-08-2009, 01:04 PM

Sam, are you using VLC to monitor recordings while you're making them? I've had some issues myself with that; as Steve notes, the encoder doesn't like for the system to get too busy. As much as it'd be convenient to leave it on, turning off the VLC option has given me better results.

FWIW, 2.0GHz Core2Duo Mac Mini with 2 gigs of RAM.
Old 02-08-2009, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Collier View Post

Sam, are you using VLC to monitor recordings while you're making them? I've had some issues myself with that; as Steve notes, the encoder doesn't like for the system to get too busy. As much as it'd be convenient to leave it on, turning off the VLC option has given me better results.

FWIW, 2.0GHz Core2Duo Mac Mini with 2 gigs of RAM.

My update for this issue today:

I can't repro the problem running on a Macpro or a Macbook Pro. Not with 2 hour recordings. The tests I ran all were using the default application settings, no VLC, default bitrates etc.

I can repro the problem (after maybe an hour) running on a G3 350Mhz tower. This isn't exactly fast hardware but it still holds up pretty well.

I've added some more debugging and timing related changes to 2.0.11+ that may help some people. I had to dig deep to get it to break for me.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:39 PM

Is anybody else having problems with AC3 audio in new recordings since updating to Quicktime 7.6? Like to know whether it's just me.

Thanks... (Steve, you've got mail)
Old 02-10-2009, 03:55 PM

All,

If you're using optical SPDIF audio with your Mac and upgrade to Quicktime 7.6, you may have a big problem with HDPVRCapture recordings. I've found that all recordings I've made since installing QT 7.6 have garbled AC3 audio tracks once converted (the raw AC3 tracks when demuxed show the same behavior) if your Mac is set up for AC3 passthrough via the optical output. It's the same sound you get on all AC3 tracks if your system has not been configured for AC3 passthrough. Downgrading to 7.5.5 fixes the issue in subsequent recordings, but any recording made with 7.6 still has "bad" AC3 audio. You will not notice this if your Mac is putting audio out through the analog stereo port, Quicktime is converting the AC3 track for you (and properly) to stereo in that case.

This may or may not be an issue if you're converting audio to AAC. I haven't tested that yet myself, so even if you do not use AC3 audio, proceed with caution (but please let the rest of us know what you find out).

I recommend other users who have optical passthrough setups (and maybe everybody; you may want that track sometime in the future) refrain from updating to 7.6 for the time being, and if you've updated already, I suggest downgrading back to 7.5.5. A procedure for doing so, and links to downloads of 7.5.5 from Apple can be found here:

http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?...90125215418693

I used the Pacifist procedure to downgrade, which it should be noted is not a preferred method. Proceed at your own risk.

As a follow-up, here are instructions on how to enable Quicktime optical audio passthrough on a properly-equipped Mac:

http://www.cod3r.com/2008/02/the-cor...ith-quicktime/
Old 02-10-2009, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

All,

If you're using optical SPDIF audio with your Mac and upgrade to Quicktime 7.6, you may have a big problem with HDPVRCapture recordings. I've found that all recordings I've made since installing QT 7.6 have garbled AC3 audio tracks once converted ...

Eeek, nasty. Bad Quicktime.

This won't effect the HDPVRCapture recording process, your AC3 is being captured and preserved correctly, your files are still in good shape, but relying on Quicktime to convert the AC3 and pass it though is obviously an issue now.

This is good information Will, thanks for the tracking this down.

This also happens when you manually try to convert the AC3 into the MOV, correct?

- Steve
Old 02-10-2009, 04:05 PM

Quote:

Eeek, nasty. Bad Quicktime.

This won't effect the HDPVRCapture recording process, your AC3 is being captured and preserved correctly, your files are still in good shape, but relying on Quicktime to convert the AC3 and pass it though is obviously an issue now.

This is good information Will, thanks for the tracking this down.

This also happens when you manually try to convert the AC3 into the MOV, correct?

- Steve

That's correct. Whatever is happening is present in the raw AC3 file recorded under 7.6. Heck if I can figure out what's changed, though. The file parameters look just like those for AC3's recorded under 7.5.5 in the Inspector or MediaInfo. I don't think it's related to the conversion (actually file-stuffing) at all.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

http://steventoth.net/blog

v2.0.11 has been released. The major fix relates to the encoder hanging during a long term recording. Check the release notes for details.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:16 PM

Hi Steve,

Sorry I've been out of the loop for a couple of days. Here's my update-

Regarding the aborted captures:

Quote:

The encoder is sensitive to busy systems. If the encoder isn't being 'emptied' fast enough by HDPVRCapture then it stalls. The encoder hangs and the HDPVRCapture app cannot recover it. It could just be that a G4 writing to an external drive is an issue. I can try to repro this on a MBP.

I thought that might be the case, too, but I was successful at capturing two shorter movies when recording to the external. However, I plan to capture to the internal from now on just to be safe.

Quote:

Sam, are you using VLC to monitor recordings while you're making them? I've had some issues myself with that

No, I have shut everything on the system off except for the HDPVRCapture program, and maybe iCal. I even turned off Airport.

Quote:

First, does these stalls happen when you capture on your G5 to HD?

Capturing to my G5 is not really an option, unfortunately. It would be way too big a hassle to move that big setup into the living room everytime I wanted to record something, so I'm stuck with the iBook for now.

Quote:

Does the G4 ibook have USB2 ports or USB1.1 ports? A quick google says yes. This would also cause long term running issues, if the encoder is unable to deliver high bitrate (>> 1mbps) buffers fast enough.

It has USB2 ports.

A third attempt at the longer movie on my iBook with the external failed. I'll give it one more go using the internal. If that fails I'll just chalk it up to a weak or interrupted signal from that particular file.

Regarding the mp4 conversion:

Quote:

HDPVRCapture creates a log file in the same folder that the movie is in. If you're muxing on an external USB drive that's going to take a VERY long time.

Well, I've tried converting from the internal drive in the G5 and I still get the aborted process. This is the last bit from that log file and what I believe to be the pertinent info:

"video:0kB audio:264792kB global headers:0kB muxing overhead 0.000000%
sh: /Applications/HDPVRCapture.app/Contents/Resources/MP4Box: Bad CPU type in executable"

Thanks again, Steve, for trying to help me iron out these issues. Just so you know I am still quite happy with the program even with these little snags.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:21 AM

Steve, it occurred to me last night that the "#4" conversion worked just fine under Quicktime 7.6--even though the AC3 audio is, as noted above, dorked up. I could never get the 2.0.10 version to convert properly--but I was testing it under 7.5.5. I'm betting you did your testing with 7.6?

Nice Catch-22: the conversion doesn't work under 7.5.5 (confirmed again last night), but the audio itself is fine, as proven with manual file-stuffing. The conversion works great under 7.6, but the audio itself is bad, at least for passthrough (as proven by playing the demuxed audio track back by itself).
Old 02-11-2009, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

CavitySam: Make sure you upgrade to 2.0.11 before you test again on the ibook. I made some buffering changes which are helping other people who have reported issues like yours.

My comment regarding testing on the G5 was literally that, does the issue never happen on the G5 vs the ibook? In other words - you've validated your input signal to your STB is working absolutely fine if you can record on the G5. I recognize that your long term goal is to record on the ibook and that's what we'll work on.

As for the "Bad CPU type in executable", this looks like a real bug I should be able to repro and fix over the next week. If anyone is having Conversion issues on PPC then this is most likely the candidate.

Upgrade your ibook to 2.0.11 and try again. I've ran a few long recordings on a G3 350Mhz PPC and never had a hitch with 2.0.11 (with 2.0.9 I had issues).

- Steve
Old 02-11-2009, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Steve, it occurred to me last night that the "#4" conversion worked just find under Quicktime 7.6--even though the AC3 audio is, as noted above, dorked up. I could never get the 2.0.10 version to convert properly--but I was testing it under 7.5.5. I'm betting you did your testing with 7.6?

Nice Catch-22: the conversion doesn't work under 7.5.5 (confirmed again last night), but the audio itself is fine, as proven with manual file-stuffing. The conversion works great under 7.6, but the audio itself is bad, at least for passthrough (as proven by playing the demuxed audio track back by itself).

Yeah, I'm not sure what to do about this. HDPVRCapture is recording the AC3 stream correctly, as verified by VLC, but Quicktime's behavior is changing between Apple's releases. This '7.5.5 vs 7.6' issue probably does account for some of the 'AC3 5.1 works for me but not for you' reports.

Unrelated: Just for the record, in terms of machines I use to test HDPVRCapture (and thus support customers), I run all of my systems with every update Apple offers. That's the only way I can keep the testing to a minimum.

If I could run OSX inside VMWare then I'd probably do more regression testing with earlier versions but that isn't possible - Apple and VMWare are in bed with each other and the agreement is that only Leopard Server can run inside a VM.

Sadly this 7.5.5 vs 7.6 is outside of my control. I don't know what to suggest to resolve Apple's recent QT 7.6 change. If you have a manual work around then I'll happily invest development time to implement.

As always, I'm all ears.

- Steve
Old 02-11-2009, 08:33 AM

Might be worth your trouble to email Graham Booker, he wrote the AC3 code for Perian. If anybody's hooked into how Quicktime interacts with that format, he'd be the guy. His site is cod3r.com.

I'm going to have to stick with 7.5.5 for the time being. Until/unless we can figure out what's going on with that AC3 file and how to fix it, I'm recording un-play-back-able audio under 7.6.

UPDATE: Quite a bit of discussion on 7.6 and AC3 problems here:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....sageID=8950477

... and here. Looks like we're not the only one with issues:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post15788699
Old 02-11-2009, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Old 02-11-2009, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

video:0kB audio:264792kB global headers:0kB muxing overhead 0.000000%
sh: /Applications/HDPVRCapture.app/Contents/Resources/MP4Box: Bad CPU type in executable

CavitySam: This is fixed and will be available in the next release.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:14 AM

What's really annoying about this (as noted in many other places) is that Apple has a working AC3-in-MOV passthrough method that's up and running on AppleTVs right now. They use it for their own HD "rental" downloads. But they won't release the info to developers.

Very annoying, another downside to Steve Jobs' mania for keeping stuff in-house and cutting down on potential competition ("What do you need to use that for? Just buy an AppleTV and get all your content from us!")
Old 02-12-2009, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Cheapest price I've ever seen online.... Today and today only, HDPVR's from Dell at $173.

http://www.geektonic.com/2009/02/dea...d-pvr-173.html
Old 02-14-2009, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hey, a quick question to all of you G5 and HDPVRCapture owners.

On 1280x720p .m2ts recordings, playing back with VLC, what kind of framerates do you see?

One customer is reporting 5fps on a G5, which sounds very low.

I don't have a comparable machine to verify so any confirmation either way would be welcome.

Regards,

Steve
Old 02-15-2009, 02:41 PM

Hi Steve,

Its great that you've given us Mac OS X users a recording app that can work with the device.

I wrote to Hauppauge months ago asking if they would release an SDK for the device and they told me that they might do so in the future.

I would like to write an app that works with the device. Do you know if they would be willing to release an SDK to me?

Thanks for your help
Old 02-15-2009, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwooster View Post

I would like to write an app that works with the device. Do you know if they would be willing to release an SDK to me?

Unlikely. I had to start from zero to build HDPVRCapture.

- Steve
Old 02-16-2009, 05:18 AM

Quote:

I'm pretty sure it's a payload problem.

iMovie wants one of two different input formats:

1920x1080i
940x540p

1. 1080i. Perians hands off interlaced h.264 decoding to quicktime, and quicktime doesn't like the HDPVR output for 1080i. (even though lots of other OS's and hardware media players deal with it). So this rules out feeding 1080i to imovie, Apple can't decode it.

2. The only other resolution imovie wants is 960x540p, which the HDPVR doesn't deliver... So the workaround is the output has to be time-consumingly transcoded to 940x544. As a quick test handbrake will down transcode 1280x720p to 960x544 and this footage will import to iMovie.

Pity iMovie just didn't support 720p native. Transcoding is an unwanted step for iMovie users.

- Steve

Hi again Steve,

We have finally received the HD PVR from Amazon and have spent sometime playing with your application and a trial of EyeTV.

EyeTV has a category of export targets named 'Native Formats (no re-encoding)' and within this category a H.264 option. Export using this option produces a file that iMovie 09 imports without the green clip problem @ 1280 x 720 - naturally quickly and with no loss.

I'm thinking this confirms the iMovie import problem to be at the container level rather than a problem with the payload. If you agree is there anything you think you can do about it?

Thanks.

--
Lee.

--
Lee.