HDPVR Support on the Mac (HDPVRCapture) - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 1194 Old 03-03-2009, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
http://slickdeals.net are showing a Dell deal today where you can buy a new HDPVR from between $160 and $165.

That's the best price I've seen to date.

- Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1194 Old 03-03-2009, 04:12 PM

Is there a way, on a Mac, to trim the lead and tail of an mp4 and save it without reencoding so that it will play fine on a PS3? When I try this with QuickTime Pro the file won't play on the PS3, even if I rename it as an mp4.
post #633 of 1194 Old 03-03-2009, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

CavitySam:

I didn't have time to try this directly on a PS3 but I did edit a MP4 in quicktime, trimming the end and (by default) it saved as a mov.... Which still opened quite nicely on the Mac.

Try exporting as .mp4 in QTpro.

- Steve
post #634 of 1194 Old 03-03-2009, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoth View Post

CavitySam:

I didn't have time to try this directly on a PS3 but I did edit a MP4 in quicktime, trimming the end and (by default) it saved as a mov.... Which still opened quite nicely on the Mac.

Try exporting as .mp4 in QTpro.

Yeah, I was trying to save myself the 12+ hours and generation loss it takes to re-encode each file. I can live with the extra video at the beginning and end of each file for now. Thanks.
post #635 of 1194 Old 03-04-2009, 02:39 PM

Hi Steve and all,

Just installed the key, thanks again it works great. I use GUI version 2.2.1

Few first remarks (suggestions?)
- It would be great to have the default input (Video & Audio) in the preference pane, default is always Component and SPDIF (mostly what I use it for)
- Similarly it would be great to be able to fix the preferred bitrate for recording in the preference pane as it always start at 7Mbbs

That's it.

Thanks a lot, and regards from Basingstoke )
post #636 of 1194 Old 03-04-2009, 02:43 PM

As much as I hate editing with Quicktime, I forced myself to spend several hours cutting commercials etc. from a 3 hour sports video. The resulting Save as .mov file had many intervals of long audio dropouts. Steve, in your new conversion project, don't forget about the lowly MPEG 2. By comparison, at least in terms of editing, these mp4s are proving very problematic. Be away for a while but looking forward to whatever you design.
Thanks
post #637 of 1194 Old 03-04-2009, 03:02 PM

Steve,

Sorry a quick report on what I assume currently is a bug : (?)

- I recorded some footage for test on the default directory "/movie" on the local hard drive : not a single problem
- Then I decided to fix once and for all the default directory on the pref pane in the external drive "~/Drobo/Videos/HDPVR" and without a single change on the settings the record button works but the Status : capturing (xxMb @ xxMbps) stays at 0 all the time, no matter how long I set the recording time. (same inputs, bitrate settings, audio settings, etc...)

So is it that the path is something the software does not like or I did anything wrong but I have tried at least 20 times ensuring I did not change any settings and the same symptom repeats : local drive : ok, external one : not

Thanks a lot

Oliver
post #638 of 1194 Old 03-05-2009, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandor View Post

Hi Steve and all,

Just installed the key, thanks again it works great. I use GUI version 2.2.1

Few first remarks (suggestions?)
- It would be great to have the default input (Video & Audio) in the preference pane, default is always Component and SPDIF (mostly what I use it for)

Go into Preferences / Misc and uncheck the "Always use default application settings on Startup". After this all of your custom changes will be remembered.

Quote:

- Similarly it would be great to be able to fix the preferred bitrate for recording in the preference pane as it always start at 7Mbbs

See above, for the same fix.

Quote:

That's it.

Thanks a lot, and regards from Basingstoke )

Hey Fandor, welcome aboard.
post #639 of 1194 Old 03-05-2009, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandor View Post

Steve,

Sorry a quick report on what I assume currently is a bug : (?)

- I recorded some footage for test on the default directory "/movie" on the local hard drive : not a single problem
- Then I decided to fix once and for all the default directory on the pref pane in the external drive "~/Drobo/Videos/HDPVR" and without a single change on the settings the record button works but the Status : capturing (xxMb @ xxMbps) stays at 0 all the time, no matter how long I set the recording time. (same inputs, bitrate settings, audio settings, etc...)

So is it that the path is something the software does not like or I did anything wrong but I have tried at least 20 times ensuring I did not change any settings and the same symptom repeats : local drive : ok, external one : not

Thanks a lot

Oliver

Yes, it's a bug if it lets you start recording when the target folder is not available. That _IS_ wierd.

Try /Drobo/Videos/HDPVR instead, does this work now?

Regards,

Steve
post #640 of 1194 Old 03-05-2009, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by warunek View Post

As much as I hate editing with Quicktime, I forced myself to spend several hours cutting commercials etc. from a 3 hour sports video. The resulting Save as .mov file had many intervals of long audio dropouts. Steve, in your new conversion project, don't forget about the lowly MPEG 2. By comparison, at least in terms of editing, these mp4s are proving very problematic. Be away for a while but looking forward to whatever you design.
Thanks

I actually have some other profiles (which may or may not make it into a future release), these convert HD H.264 into ipod/iphone and AppleTV supported resolutions and bitrates. Sure, they can take a long time to run but they're done automatically (if required) after the recording is complete. I can probably also add MPEG2 support if that's useful to a few folks. It's not a guarantee that I'll add these features, but I'm certainly thinking along those lines.

- Steve
post #641 of 1194 Old 03-05-2009, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Canadian customers or potential customers, or other non-US friends, I want to hear from you!

I'm adding Zap2It EPG scheduling support specifically for Canada.

The version (2.3.0) is currently in beta. So, you'll be able to bring up zap2it, indicate that you want a particular show recorded and it will be scheduled and recorded using HDPVRCapture automatically for you via iCal.

What I want to know is, what other features would you like to see in HDPVRCapture that would be useful in your specific region? What is the application missing?

Preferably comment here, or email me (my address in on the About page of my blog at http://www.steventoth.net).

Thanks,

Steve
post #642 of 1194 Old 03-05-2009, 02:47 PM

Steve,
thanks a lot : the "Try /Drobo/Videos/HDPVR instead, does this work now?" worked just fine !!!!

thanks also for he tips on the default settings in pref pane.
post #643 of 1194 Old 03-06-2009, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

http://www.steventoth.net/blog

HDPVRCapture v2.3.0 has been released. This adds support for the Zap2IT web EPG allowing Canadian customers to schedule automatic recordings. Also fixes related to burning and editing with Roxio's Toast.

- Steve
post #644 of 1194 Old 03-07-2009, 08:11 AM

Hi I am new to all this and can't seem to get my recordings to work with my apple tv. I have tried handbrake and hd pvr encoder is only for audio right or am I wrong. Any help would be grateful.

Bryan
post #645 of 1194 Old 03-07-2009, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bscolvin View Post

Hi I am new to all this and can't seem to get my recordings to work with my apple tv. I have tried handbrake and hd pvr encoder is only for audio right or am I wrong. Any help would be grateful.

Bryan

Welcome!

Firstly, make sure your recordings actually have video. Install VLC from videolan.org and playback one of your recordings. Do you see video?

Second, AppleTV doesn't have a lot of horse power and isn't capable of playing back full HD recordings in all their glory, so typically I'd use VisualHub to create an AppleTV compatible version of the recording. (This can take a while).

A number of other AVSForum members have recorded HDPVR content at 1280x720p at bitrates < 2Mbps and had some success playing those recordings natively on the AppleTV. It's not perfect but here's the details if you want to experiement: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post15083455
post #646 of 1194 Old 03-07-2009, 10:15 AM

Quote:

Welcome!

Firstly, make sure your recordings actually have video. Install VLC from videolan.org and playback one of your recordings. Do you see video?

Second, AppleTV doesn't have a lot of horse power and isn't capable of playing back full HD recordings in all their glory, so typically I'd use VisualHub to create an AppleTV compatible version of the recording. (This can take a while).

A number of other AVSForum members have recorded HDPVR content at
1280x720p at bitrates < 2Mbps and had some success playing those recordings natively on the AppleTV. It's not perfect but here's the details if you want to experiement: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post15083455

yes I have video

I set my Directv box to 720p and it still says 1080i hdpvr.

I get an error with visualhub.

But they do play on my PS3.

Thanks
Bryan
post #647 of 1194 Old 03-07-2009, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

yes I have video

Great!

Quote:

I set my Directv box to 720p and it still says 1080i hdpvr.

Hmm, then it's not outputting 720p. I know it's possible to fix the output to 720p regardless because other customers do this.

Quote:

I get an error with visualhub.

VisualHub doesn't understand interlaced H.264, which is a great pity, but it will understand progressive 720p recordings. So, try to switch your STB resolution.

Quote:

But they do play on my PS3.

Great, how does the video quality look? Excellent I would guess, right?

- Steve
post #648 of 1194 Old 03-07-2009, 11:35 AM

Quote:

Hmm, then it's not outputting 720p. I know it's possible to fix the output to 720p regardless because other customers do this.

- Steve

I got 720p output and am testing it now.

Thank You

Bryan
post #649 of 1194 Old 03-07-2009, 12:27 PM

It worked this time. Thank you again for all your help.

Could I use handbrake? I can't get to work right now I though maybe some else here did or could.

Bryan
post #650 of 1194 Old 03-07-2009, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

It worked this time. Thank you again for all your help.

Could I use handbrake? I can't get to work right now I though maybe some else here did or could.

Bryan

Last I checked handbrake converted a 720p clip happily into AppleTV format.

- Steve
post #651 of 1194 Old 03-07-2009, 07:07 PM

I am not getting 720p i am getting 960x540 instead of 1280x720. Thanks again for all your help sorry to be a bother.

Bryan
post #652 of 1194 Old 03-08-2009, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warunek View Post

Thanks

Try MPEG Streamclip. Works much better than editing in QT.
post #653 of 1194 Old 03-15-2009, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

http://www.steventoth.net/blog

HDPVRCapture v2.4.1 has been released. This has a large number of changes, mainly to the the post processing / conversion functionality. I'm really happy with the performance improvements and the level of support that HDPVRCature has with other applications now. Other changes including fixes related to Zap2It.com.

- Steve
post #654 of 1194 Old 03-15-2009, 10:53 AM

Just few words to say great job, just downloaded it , I can not wait to try it !!!
Cheers
post #655 of 1194 Old 03-15-2009, 03:09 PM

Are any other HDPVR Capture users using the optical audio out set to passthrough? I have consistent issues with screeching, un-decoded noise on any AC3-audio recordings made since the Quicktime 7.6 upgrade. Is anybody else seeing this?

My workaround had been to downgrade the Mac back to QT 7.5.5, but Steve's new conversion process results in files that won't play under that version (they play back fine in 7.6--except for the audio), so the new-new workaround is to use 7.5.5 and HDPVRC 2.3.0.

I'd appreciate it if anybody else with the right gear would do a test and report back. Here's a great instructions page on how to set up your Mac for optical AC3 passthrough:

http://www.cod3r.com/2008/02/the-cor...ith-quicktime/

Remember, this is only if you're using TOSLINK optical out. You won't see (er, hear) any bad behavior if you're using an analog audio output.
post #656 of 1194 Old 03-15-2009, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Collier View Post

Are any other HDPVR Capture users using the optical audio out set to passthrough? I have consistent issues with screeching, un-decoded noise on any AC3-audio recordings made since the Quicktime 7.6 upgrade. Is anybody else seeing this?

I should be able to repro this on a MBP right? Doesn't that have optical out?

The question is, what kind of cable would I need to be able to repro this? I know my receiver takes either toslink or co-ax in, what the heck do Mac's take?

- Steve
post #657 of 1194 Old 03-15-2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:

I should be able to repro this on a MBP right? Doesn't that have optical out?

The question is, what kind of cable would I need to be able to repro this? I know my receiver takes either toslink or co-ax in, what the heck do Mac's take?

- Steve

You need Mini-TOSLINK to TOSLINK, one of these should work:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Monoprice rules.
post #658 of 1194 Old 03-15-2009, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Collier View Post

You need Mini-TOSLINK to TOSLINK, one of these should work:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Monoprice rules.

Thanks.

I'll order one of these today.

- Steve
post #659 of 1194 Old 03-15-2009, 06:02 PM

all i can say is WOW!!!!!
i am now able to edit your repackaged files at full 720p in streamclip, . . and even iMovie, . . . . . before i was shrinking my stuff down too 960x540, and it was very nice, but this is the s$&t!!!
good job steve.
just to put this out there, . .
i am a big open source wh*re, and if it isnt open source (exceptions for me are office, filemaker pro, and whatever software came with my mac), most of the time i will not use it, and i was hesitant at first with this product, but i have to say that this product is top dog for me, i would pay $100 for this software, or maybe even more, . . . . anyway enough sucking up for me
post #660 of 1194 Old 03-16-2009, 06:01 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnolan011 View Post

all i can say is WOW!!!!!
i am now able to edit your repackaged files at full 720p in streamclip, . . and even iMovie, . . . . . before i was shrinking my stuff down too 960x540, and it was very nice, but this is the s$&t!!!
good job steve.
just to put this out there, . .
i am a big open source wh*re, and if it isnt open source (exceptions for me are office, filemaker pro, and whatever software came with my mac), most of the time i will not use it, and i was hesitant at first with this product, but i have to say that this product is top dog for me, i would pay $100 for this software, or maybe even more, . . . . anyway enough sucking up for me

Thanks cnolan011, very kind words.
Reply HTPC - Mac Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page