Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot Nrrrd View Post

OK, dummy here then

If I'm playing back a recorded TV show from my HR-21/100 to the 1212, will it cause the 1212 to reset when the program goes from being 5.1 to something else during commercials?

I doubt it, but I have no way to check to be honest. It doesn't happen on my cableco's STB. I know a number of people use HR boxes and don't experience this specific issue. I just know this can happen, just as Davephr1 has found out.

The simplest and easiest way to repro it is to change channels during a recording, even then it doesn't happen all of the time.

I think Hauppauge's tech support line would be ringing off the hook of this was a widespread problem. Again, I mention it for the technical crowd here.

Quote:
P.S. Steve, earlier upthread you had asked me what was the lowest stable rate I had - to be honest, I don't think I ever got anything that was stable. Or I didn't drop it down any lower because I was already seeing unacceptable levels of MPEG artifacting at low (sub 7 Mbps) rates. (Your own clips on your Web site look great; to me that level of "I can't really tell the difference" is what I deem acceptable.)

I have a list of tasks as long as my arm but this weekend I'm going to make some more G3 recordings via USB1.1 and see how high I can go without breaking. I'll update the FAQ when I have these details.

Quote:
I decided to just say screw it and ordered a $32 CardBus USB 2.0 card for the wheezing old PowerBook G4. If it saves me having to blow a grand on a new Mac mini, it's worth the $40 (w/ shipping) to me. I'll report back in the thread once it arrives and I've had a chance to do test recordings.

Personally I think given the cost that's a smart idea. The whole discussion re stalling the encoder kind of fell silent here on the thread but let's pick it back up when you have a USB2 card and are recording to internal disks.

Regards,

- Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2009, 08:47 PM

Quote:

What I don't understand is why the PS3 doesn't see the AC3 format change, or does it - now that you know what you're looking for?
- Steve

No the PS3 doesn't see it, but let me say that I'm not sure why it would be up to the PS3. In a 2 hour capture, the first 15 seconds may be 2 channel, I don't have the knowledge to find out if that is true. The other 1 hr 59 minutes and 45 seconds is 5.1, but the whole file is seen by media info and PS3 as 2.0. I'll admit that I don't know anything the technical aspects of this process, so if I'm out of line please correct me.

Quote:

I forgot to mention, typically when the HDPVR firmware sees an AC3 format change the encoder stops and has to be restarted - this is a 'feature' of the firmware. Typically you might see this if you switch channels on your STB during recording.

I have never seen any problem with stopping and starting the encoder. I've not switched channels while capturing, or during the a recording on the DVR. I have only played back a pre-recorded file.

Quote:

I would image that if you start recording at the end of one movie (in AC3 2.0) then the new movie switches to AC3 5.1, you'd see this same brief restart. Don't you see the HDPVR top and restart a second or two later?

Haven't tried to capture a 2.0 movie yet. In one of my recordings I had the credits of a 5.1 movie, then the premium channel fluff, then another 5.1 movie. Only problem was when I started the capture while the fluff was on. Haven't seen the PVR stop/start.

By the way, I may have had audio problems and think I've figured out how to prevent them, but I am absolutely stunned with the video quality that I'm seeing.

The capture I made from the second DVR came in as 6 channels.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daverph1 View Post

No the PS3 doesn't see it, but let me say that I'm not sure why it would be up to the PS3. In a 2 hour capture, the first 15 seconds may be 2 channel, I don't have the knowledge to find out if that is true. The other 1 hr 59 minutes and 45 seconds is 5.1, but the whole file is seen by media info and PS3 as 2.0. I'll admit that I don't know anything the technical aspects of this process, so if I'm out of line please correct me.

I'm just surprised the PS3 doesn't switch the audio format on the fly. Technically the HDPVR is doing exactly what it's been asked to do, just record the SPDIF. This at least is good news (not a HDPVR bug) but an awkward playback problem. It might be possible to have HDPVRCapture automatically 'trim' the beginning of the recording until 5.1 appears, but this is a risky proposition and not something that everyone would want by default - else risk inadvertent cuts.

I leave this open to debate.

Quote:

I have never seen any problem with stopping and starting the encoder. I've not switched channels while capturing, or during the a recording on the DVR. I have only played back a pre-recorded file.

Fair enough.

Quote:

Haven't tried to capture a 2.0 movie yet. In one of my recordings I had the credits of a 5.1 movie, then the premium channel fluff, then another 5.1 movie. Only problem was when I started the capture while the fluff was on. Haven't seen the PVR stop/start.

Understood.

Quote:

By the way, I may have had audio problems and think I've figured out how to prevent them, but I am absolutely stunned with the video quality that I'm seeing.

Video quality (I think) is fantastic.

If your previous audio issues are fixed (and worth mentioning) then feel free to share your experiences with the other readers here.

Quote:

The capture I made from the second DVR came in as 6 channels.

Let's hope your success continues!

- Steve
Old 03-28-2009, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoth View Post

Thanks.

I'll order one of these [TOSLINK cables] today.

- Steve

Any luck with this issue?
Old 03-29-2009, 07:55 AM

Is there a maximum file size with an MP4 file? I've been using HDPVR Capture on some 720p football games, and notice that nothing will open the file if I do a whole game at a time (approximately 9GB). If I capture it in quarters, it works great (file size around 1.5-2GB). I get an error from Quicktime that the file is not a movie file, and VLC won't show it.

If there is a file size limit, what would be the best way to capture a football game? I would like to edit out the commercials, etc. I'd be interested in what people think on this.

Thanks.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Collier View Post

Any luck with this issue?

Cable arrived, it's on my todo list.

I should just be able to connect the cable up and hear the QT issue, correct? Or, is their some magic software change I have to do also?

- Steve
Old 03-29-2009, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytiger View Post

If there is a file size limit, what would be the best way to capture a football game? I would like to edit out the commercials, etc. I'd be interested in what people think on this.

3GB files work, I haven't tried anything higher. Maybe the MP4 spec tops out at 4?

- Steve
Old 03-29-2009, 11:29 AM

Quote:

3GB files work, I haven't tried anything higher. Maybe the MP4 spec tops out at 4?

- Steve

I have a 10 GB 720p MP4 football game that opens with Quicktime and WDTV media player. With the WDTV, the go to function doesn't work with MP4 in comparison to the original m2t file which is perfect, but this definitely opens.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:26 PM

Here's a weird one. Have a 1080i MP4 that WDTV media player says has unsupported audio format even though Medi Info shows as ac-3. The m2t file is OK. Quicktime plays this fine too. Again Steve, my reasons for fondness of good old MPEG 2 which is common to every media player type.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:46 PM

i was wondering what people have been using for video quality settings in the general control panel: Brightness, Contrast, Hue, Saturation, Sharpness.
(i suck at figuring these out)
I have some videos where there is a lot or white, and it looks soft when captured.
Old 03-29-2009, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnolan011 View Post

i was wondering what people have been using for video quality settings in the general control panel: Brightness, Contrast, Hue, Saturation, Sharpness.
(i suck at figuring these out)
I have some videos where there is a lot or white, and it looks soft when captured.

The brightness, contrast, hue, saturation and sharpness controls will be deprecated in the next major release of HDPVRcapture. Another customer recently contacted me regarding a problem so I spoke with the Hauppauge engineer. The controls worked in the first release of the firmware (prior to AC3) but were intensionally removed in subsequent releases.

I don't know why, I just know they are no longer wired internally.

This has been on my 2.5 todo list for a couple of weeks.

Sorry.

- Steve
Old 03-29-2009, 09:05 PM

are there any plans to have lpcm audio vs ac3?
Old 03-30-2009, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willndmb View Post

are there any plans to have lpcm audio vs ac3?

The firmware will receive and mux into the stream whatever it receives on the SPDIF port, with very little overhead. Frankly, I've only ever seen AC3 but I don't think it's going to reject other codecs / formats.

Have you tried it? If so, let's discuss.

- Steve
Old 03-30-2009, 07:30 AM

Quote:

The firmware will receive and mux into the stream whatever it receives on the SPDIF port, with very little overhead. Frankly, I've only ever seen AC3 but I don't think it's going to reject other codecs / formats.

Have you tried it? If so, let's discuss.

- Steve

no i have not tried yet, i am close to purchasing everything and then i can really do some "tests" and report back
Old 03-30-2009, 07:39 AM

Quote:

Cable arrived, it's on my todo list.

I should just be able to connect the cable up and hear the QT issue, correct? Or, is their some magic software change I have to do also?

- Steve

You do have to tweak the system to get AC3 passthrough via the optical cable. Here's a guide:

http://www.cod3r.com/2008/02/the-cor...ith-quicktime/
Old 03-30-2009, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willndmb View Post

no i have not tried yet, i am close to purchasing everything and then i can really do some "tests" and report back

Reminder: The Dell $154 deal expires tomorrow.

- Steve
Old 03-31-2009, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

daverph1: Do you need me to check anything or are you issues under control now?
Old 03-31-2009, 06:50 PM

Liked: 13
I'm back. IOGear USB 2.0 card arrived today.

Decided to go for an easy first test as it was all I had time for before leaving for work.

Turned on BravoHD and hit Record on whatever Reality TV show was on. Defaults on (VBR/7/22).

2 mins 7 secs, just over 100 MB captured.

Downloaded to NMT, played back - absolutely flawless. Huzzah!

I don't feel out of the woods yet (my original USB1.1 tests that gave me melting vid and locked-up audio were of an action movie with lots of motion, Die Hard With A Vengeance or something), but I'm encouraged so far.

Next step: record entire shows, not just 2-minute clips. Also try test clips of action movies.

If all checks out OK, do I dare change the capture settings?

--

One other thing: Steve, upthread you mentioned removal of video adjustments in 2.5 and in the 1212's firmware. How can I find out my firmware rev. and if there is anything newer? (Bought mine in mid-February on the Dell site, so I presume it's recent if not the latest firmware rev.)

ETA: Looks like new firmware is only installed via installing the HD PVR's Windows driver?

Anyone tried this on a Mac? Either natively in Boot Camp, or via VMware/Parallels/VirtualBox/etc.?
Old 03-31-2009, 09:56 PM

Hello all,

I probably missed something along the way regarding IR as I am unable to get it to work. (The IR blaster LED DOES BLINK).

Setup:

Registered User of v. 2.4.1 (so IR is supposed to work?). App is resident in Applications Directory. Records Great!

Brand new 1212 D1

OS 10.5.6 running on Mac Pro Early 2008 Dual Quad Core 3.2GHz.

Verizon FIOS STB (Motorola 6416)

Also installed the Hauppauge PC software on my BootCamp partition which has XP SP3 on it. No issues, IR works there perfectly with the Moto 6412 specified as the STB.

I have wiped out the HDPVR files and searched for and killed all prefs, etc. I could find and started from scratch (a couple of times). No Joy.

Anyone have any ideas what I am missing?

Regards,
George
Old 04-01-2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot Nrrrd™ View Post

Anyone tried this on a Mac? Either natively in Boot Camp, or via VMware/Parallels/VirtualBox/etc.?

Yes - I did it successfully using VirtualPC on a G5.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:18 PM

More data. The command line version of HDPVR (v1.3.3) does basically work with the IR for me.

I had to specify Motorola (generic) and select the code set (82) vs. use the "Motorola DCT 6412" entry. I tried various delay settings but the command line version seems to ignore anything I choose for delay. Additionally I have to specify minimum 4 digits AND requires return to get just enough delay before the recording starts to not have it choke a couple of times before it gets going OK.

I tried specifying the same STB (Motorola [no box type] with code set 82) in the GUI (2.4.1) and while the IR LED blinks, the STB does not respond.

My guess is the ir.xml file is not quite right (command line version) and the ir.db in the guts of the GUI version suffer similar issues.

Regards,
George
Old 04-01-2009, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

gtsullivan: Sounds like a bug. Thanks for investigating. I'll look into this.
Old 04-04-2009, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hi Everyone,

I have three or four customer emails related to potential bugs involving a mixture of things, constant bitrates, IR, Zap2It and AC3. I plan to spend the weekend addressing these.

WillCollier, you're first on the list with the AC3 stuff.

Regards,

Steve
Old 04-04-2009, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hi Everyone,
WillCollier, you're first on the list with the AC3 stuff.

Manually I can repro the tic-a-tic-a-tica-a Quicktime issue.

I can also work around it. If I go to the QT, then movie properties audio then sound track then channel assignments I see that they're all marked mono, which is wrong. Setting those assignments manually back to their correct settings and hitting play results in my receiver detecting and playing 5.1.

This is with my wife's macbook 10.5.6, all current updates applied.

Open the .mp4, set the channels settings to:

1: Left
2: Right
3: Center
4: LFE Screen
5: Left Surround
6: Right Surround

Save as self contained .mov to workaround/fix the issue.

- Steve
Old 04-05-2009, 06:00 AM

Is anyone playing captures from HDPVRCapture on WD-TV?
If so which converted file types?
I am thinking about moving away form my AppleTV and using something like this.
Western Digital TV
Old 04-05-2009, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The WDTV should play the native .m2ts recordings just fine, all of the other sigma based 8634/35 products do.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:32 AM

i am going to pick one up and play around with it today, . . . . . .
i will post feedback on HDPVRCapture file playback
Old 04-05-2009, 09:11 AM

Quote:

Manually I can repro the tic-a-tic-a-tica-a Quicktime issue.

I can also work around it. If I go to the QT, then movie properties audio then sound track then channel assignments I see that they're all marked mono, which is wrong. Setting those assignments manually back to their correct settings and hitting play results in my receiver detecting and playing 5.1.

This is with my wife's macbook 10.5.6, all current updates applied.

Open the .mp4, set the channels settings to:

1: Left
2: Right
3: Center
4: LFE Screen
5: Left Surround
6: Right Surround

Save as self contained .mov to workaround/fix the issue.

- Steve

A-ha. That's downright weird. Wonder what caused that to happen in QT 7.6, but not previous versions?

Thanks for the workaround, I'll try it out today. Is this something you can automate in the conversion S/W?

UPDATE: Confirmed, that's a good fix. Thanks for tracking it down, I feel pretty dumb for not even looking at the file properties myself...
Old 04-05-2009, 09:26 AM

My WDTV (no receiver) plays m2ts perfectly. However, with mp4 it displays unsupported audio even though Mediainfo shows AC3. QT properties also show AC3 with L & R channels. WDTV tech support says this is an encoding issue. Steve, is there a way to process mp4s from Capture leaving video intact and converting audio to mp2 or mp3?
Thanks
Old 04-05-2009, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warunek View Post

My WDTV (no receiver) plays m2ts perfectly. However, with mp4 it displays unsupported audio even though Mediainfo shows AC3. QT properties also show AC3 with L & R channels. WDTV tech support says this is an encoding issue. Steve, is there a way to process mp4s from Capture leaving video intact and converting audio to mp2 or mp3?
Thanks

You should be able to do that with VisualHub, using video track passthrough (-vcodec copy).