Originally Posted by poster
Thanks jeremyandnell, I will try that out.
I haven't recorded in a while as I still am not getting recordings that are of a quality I would like. I know Steve is swamped, so I am kindly waiting to see what he thinks. I am wondering if anyone else can share their experiences in creating recordings? I have never been able to get a quality recording without issues.
Then something is wrong in your environment.
V2.5 fixed a big issue for me, but my recordings still have flashes or glitches which reduce the quality. Sports seem to record really fast and blurry as well. I have never been able to replicate recordings like I see on Steve's website.
The sample recordings aren't anything special, no 'slight-of-hand' or 'smoke-and-mirror' just plain-old recordings I made way back to help people understand the quality.
Maybe it is my STB, but do others who make recordings of TV shows and sporting events get quality recordings as if you were watching on your DVR or am I aiming too high?
I don't think you're aiming too high, the HDPVR is capable of recording pretty much anything your STB can output. Recent testing with v2.5.2 and a bluray movie (Ripping the Blade Runner Directors cut), the recorded file was simply stunning.
So far this has been a frustrating and to an extent a money & time wasting experience. If anyone can share their insights or experiences, I would really appreciate it. That way I can decide if I want to keep working on this or spend my time elsewhere. Thank you!
A couple of things:
1. Can you download and play all of the .m2ts sample recordings properly on your HTPC? Or, do you see any odd flashing or visual artifacts?
2. Make a recording of letterman using your setup, use all of the default settings in HDPVRCapture and you should get exactly the same results. (Try also using the same capture resolutions).
3. If you have firewire on your STB, download AVCNoodle from steventoth.net and simultaneously record the firewire and HDPVRCapture recordings at the same time. DO an A-B comparison, you should find 0 differences on average TV content with average HDPVRCapture settings.
4. Lastly, as bwooster noted, try capturing on a PC for reference, do you see any differences?
5. Unrelated: Feel free to send me the tvpi file and a short (30 second) recording that shows the flashing or visual artifacts. I can look into this and see if I can understand it. If you don't have the ftp details them ping me via email.