HDPVR Support on the Mac (HDPVRCapture) - Page 40 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-01-2012, 07:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So here's my dilemma. I recently got a Hauppauge HD PVR and EyeTV. I'm recording my xbox 360. I have all the cables hooked up properly. I'm using EyeTV 3.5.3, I'm not sure what firmware the Hauppauge had on it. Everything was working fine until I took my hauppauge to my buddies house and hooked the hauppauge up to his windows pc. I'm not sure if it updated the drivers to version 1.6.29277 when this happened or if that's what they were because I never hooked it up to a windows pc. When I went back home I hooked it back up to my macbook pro and I get a black screen in EyeTV. I thought this may have something to do with the firmware so I installed the version 1.5.7.0 drivers onto the hauppauge. I'm still getting a black screen in EyeTV. I've tried switching everything from component to composite inputs. I've also tried chaning the display on my xbox to 1080i. I'm out of ideas as to why this is happening. Any help with this would be amazing!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2012, 03:20 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Looks like the new AppleTV 3 will play the 1080 output of the Hauppauge HDPVR-1212 once it is converted to mp4 by HDPVR Capture.

Do we have any actual confirmation yet?
Old 04-17-2012, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

So I am using Screen Sharing back to my home network and attempting to use the Network feature to stream to my current remote location.

I have entered the IP of the remote location in the Network on the HDCapture and the Port 1234. As soon as I start the RECORD, it crashes our internet capability here at the remote location -- it sort of chokes, I guess.

I had to wait out the 1 hour that HDCapture was set to record and the internet works again here at the remote location. I tried it again and same problem.

Any ideas?
Old 04-18-2012, 09:42 PM
Advanced Member

Steve set me straight; I had the software set to too high of a bit rate in Video Encoding. I set it to the minimum 1000 rate.

Here is the workflow for others to experiment with (I had trouble even at the lower rate; probably the download speed of my host is too slow):

In Network Streaming, uncheck the first box and check the lower box. In the Destination IP window, add the "external" IP of where you will be to watch the content. IP Port use 1234. Set the initial times for 2 or 4 minutes, so that it will stop quickly if it is having a problem.

At the destination, open the router's software and open port 1234 to the computer that will run VLC; in my case 192.168.1.103.

In VLC, go to FILE to Open Network to Open RTP/UDP Stream. In IP Address enter your local computer IP such as 192.168.1.103 and in Port put 1234. Then OPEN and OPEN and see if it works for you!
Old 04-20-2012, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I am currently using EyeTV with an EyeTV HD recorder. A couple of years ago I had bought an HDPVR 1212 and the HDPVRCapture program. For whatever reason the hardware didn't suit us at the time and we bought the EyeTV HD which is similar. Everything is run off Mac Minis, all Intel and running Lion or SL. Here is the issue:

Our main interest is in commercial skipping. We moved to Fibe TV which is like AT&T Uverse and uses a Motorola VIP 1200 receiver and a VIP 1236 PVR. No matter what I do the IR Blaster is rarely accurate for anything with more than 3 digits. Can HDPVRCapture control the EyeTV HD? I don't mind buying the Hauppauge box if in fact the channel changing method can be made to work 99% of the time. IR Blasters just seem to be tricky with the Motorola vip1200 boxes. Is there no other way to change the channel?

The other issue is commercial skipping software. Can this be integrated with HDPVRCapture? The one I currently use is comskip which is pretty good but never 100% accurate.

In short, I am looking for an ideal setup to record HD via component, gets rid of commercials and works with the Motorola vip1200 and related pvr. I would rather stay with OSX but am willing to try anything.

Any help or tips would really be appreciated.

Philip

Edit: Unfortunately Bell Fibe TV cannot schedule a channel change for viewing, just for recording to its PVR.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:18 PM

So I have the Hauppauge HDPVR and I've become quite frustrated.

I've captured videos and converted using the HDPVR Capture for Mac program. Once they are mp4 I opened in Streamclip and edited a bit.

I tried using other software to convert to files for Apple TV/iPad, but when I try conversion the audio become out of sync.

So frustrating because I want to be able to use the videos other places and I no longer have the source files.

Any clues on what I can do to fix this or how I can export to AppleTV or iPad format without messing up the sync.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

I use Handbrake for conversion with quite a bit of success. And my recollection is that it will convert the m2ts file with no need to transmute the container to mp4 first.

It has presets for AppleTV, iPod, iPod Touch & iPhone, iPhone 4, iPad and the 2nd generation AppleTV.

Try it:

Link to Handbrake download page
Old 04-29-2012, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelLAX View Post

I use Handbrake for conversion with quite a bit of success. And my recollection is that it will convert the m2ts file with no need to transmute the container to mp4 first.

It has presets for AppleTV, iPod, iPod Touch & iPhone, iPhone 4, iPad and the 2nd generation AppleTV.

Try it:

Link to Handbrake download page

Handbrake knocks the video out of sync after editing in Streamclip...
Old 04-29-2012, 07:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomamon View Post

Handbrake knocks the video out of sync after editing in Streamclip...

Yes, that is correct!

Edit AFTER Handbrake...
Old 04-29-2012, 08:59 PM

Quote:

Yes, that is correct!

Edit AFTER Handbrake...

Serious? Oh crap! I have a bunch of MP4's that I already got rid of the MTS on Anything I can do with those?
Old 04-29-2012, 09:34 PM
Advanced Member

what is mts?
Old 04-29-2012, 10:02 PM

Quote:

what is mts?

Sorry, M2TS, the type of mpeg file it captures as.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:15 PM
Advanced Member

Use MediaInfo Mac to analyze the MP4 file and save a text copy of its results and email it to me at my nickname at America Online (AOL) dot com.

Do you have the legacy program: VisualHub?
Old 04-30-2012, 08:56 AM

Quote:

Use MediaInfo Mac to analyze the MP4 file and save a text copy of its results and email it to me at my nickname at America Online (AOL) dot com.

Do you have the legacy program: VisualHub?

No, I do not have that program.

E-Mailing now!
Old 07-15-2012, 09:55 AM

Hi can someone help me…

I am trying to record with my hdpvr and it records for about 3 seconds and then says "error, no audio or video! Check settings!" can someone please help
Old 07-15-2012, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

Unplug the power for for about 10 minutes and then plug the power back in.

Check your USB cable and replace if you have another, or at least unplug and replug.

Does your Mac's HD have enough available space?

Make sure your Source is left on continuously.

Try to give us more details.

Report back your results...
Old 08-16-2012, 08:50 AM

OLD and NEW.

I had a 2009 15" Mac Pro 10.6.8 that ran HDPVR, 2.12(?), successfully sometime ago.

I just switched to 10.7 and a SSD about a month ago successfully.

Yesterday I ran HDPVR on this setup and it updated to 2.14.1 and did a 4 minute record to the SSD. Converted to MP4. Success!

Next, attached external HDD and recorded a 3 minute clip to it. Converted to MP4. Success.

Now I set record duration to 1hr, 0 minutes/15minutes to external HDD and hit start. Progress bar went very quickly like the short clips and ended up about 180MB.

Repeated above except recorded only to SSD this time, but with identical result.

Is it Lion, the SSD, a combo or something else I need to fix?

Thanks
Old 08-18-2012, 04:57 AM

PS: Before doing anything I updated the firmware, and windows drivers, using win7 on a pc. oops?
Old 01-05-2013, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelLAX View Post

Unplug the power for for about 10 minutes and then plug the power back in.
Check your USB cable and replace if you have another, or at least unplug and replug.
Does your Mac's HD have enough available space?
Make sure your Source is left on continuously.
Try to give us more details.
Report back your results...

I had same issues as other guy I tried what you said still nothing.

I just moved my PVR from Ps3 to Xbox and now having issues never had issues prior I triple checked my connections and still cant figure it out. Help Please.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceXboX View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelLAX View Post

Try to give us more details...

I had same issues as other guy I tried what you said still nothing.

I just moved my PVR from Ps3 to Xbox and now having issues never had issues prior I triple checked my connections and still cant figure it out. Help Please.
Try harder...
Old 09-15-2013, 06:33 PM

Hello

I just bought the Hauppauge HD PVR 2 model 1512. I have been using HDPVRCapture for about a month but I can't seem to get smooth video playback when recording using the Insanely Good preset. The recorded video plays fine for the first 30-60, then becomes choppy. Has anyone else experienced this with the 1512 and do you have a solution? The lower presets seem to record fine. Obviously I could use those, but I should have the option to use either. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 01-04-2014, 11:10 AM

Typically a lot has changed in the long time since my last foray into getting previously recorded material off the Sky+HD box and I've largely forgotten the best way to do things on HDPVRC v2 let alone v3 that I'm now using. What I want to do is copy recordings from the Sky box onto the Mac, edit out the unrequired bits like intro, runout and commercials and then be able to play them on Mac, iPad and Apple TV v2 or v3. Seems simple doesn't it.

First of all, I've set the Sky box to output 720p as I believe iTunes will not accept interlaced. No biggie.

Then, encoding settings. I've found that 'Better' works OK and so I may experiment with higher quality settings, but audio is a problem. I want to take advantage of AC3 i.e. Dolby Digital where possible and most of the Sky output will be AC3. This works when played back on an TV3 through an AV amp that can utilise the AC3 audio. But when I try an TV2 to a stereo TV - no audio. I suspect this is because there is only AC3 audio and no 2 channel stereo that the TV can use (even though connected from TV by HDMI).

From this I deduce I need a hybrid audio that includes both 2 ch. and also AC3. I believe Handbrake can do this, but am I right in thinking HDPVRC cannot?

If not then that's a serious drawback as although I can post process each file in Handbrake, that makes the whole process a PIA. When HDPVRC does the conversion to MP4, it REALLY simplifies the workflow, but if it cannot do something sensible with the audio, then as I say, it's a real PIA.

Is there a solution to this or do I have to put up with this double processing and in which case should I throw the M2TS file at Handbrake, or have HDPVRC convert to Mp4 first. Which is better?

Then there's the editing. How best to top and tail the video and cut out the ads in the middle? Can iMovie do this, or is it better to use Streamclip and if so why? Any other solutions for this?

Finally, the beginning. How do others start the recording? I tried setting it up on pause at the start point I wanted, clicked record in HDPVRC and then Play on the Sky remote. This caused an audio glitch at the beginning and it never recovered. Either no sound at all on replay (in QuickTime) or after first clicking Play, there would be audio for a second or 2, then it would go silent. i think it was totally out of sync also, so not a good way to start recording then:-(

So I tried starting playback earlier and clicked Record in HDPVRC a bit before needed and it seems to get going OK, but I will need to edit the beginning to trim the rubbish which I was hoping to avoid. How does everyone else start a manual recording from playback of a previous recording on the STB? Is there a repeatable method that works?

--later--

Looking further into the audio problem, is there any way for HDPVRC to tell me beforehand what the audio is?

Having run a test I can now see that the original (on the Sky box) is actually 2 ch. AC3. In this case I should have selected the 2 Channel AAC codec which I think would then have played on the TV from the TV. But how can I know whether a particular recording on the Sky box is just 2 ch. AC3 or full 5.1 as that affects how I would want to set up HDPVRC, but I cannot see how to determine this prior to actually encoding it and I don't want to have to do everything twice.

However, my only option now appears to be either start again, or run the m2ts all through Handbrake to get the AAC audio, but what's the best video setting since Handbrake doesn't actually have to do anything with the video?

I then noticed that in HDPVRC there only appears to be AC3 or AAC codecs - BOTH 2 ch. only. Is there NO option to encode 5.1 audio? Or does that option only show up when it's currently receiving 5.1 audio? In which case, it would answer the first question.

Sorry, lots of questions.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:48 AM

Rather looks like no-one's bothering with this thread any more, but as there are users of MPEGStreamclip here, I thought I'd ask a question anyway.

Having used HDPVRC to 'record' and convert a file to MP4, with AC3 2 channel audio, I want to use MPEGStreamclip to trim it etc. The video plays correctly with sound in MPEGStreamclip, but the process of saving the file again loses the audio track. Really, if I look at the new file, there is NO audio track. This happens even if the file has not been modified by MPEGStreamclip, just open the video and use 'Save As' to a new file - no audio track.

But, if the original video has MPEG-4 audio, there's no problem.

Is anyone aware of a problem with MPEGStreamclip (1.9.3b8) in Mavericks (or other OS), trying to simply Save a video with AC3 audio?
Old 01-23-2014, 08:56 AM

I see that other people are suffering the exact same problem, so it's not just me and looks very much like it's an MPEGStreamclip problem.

But is there a fix?