Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1194 Old 11-16-2008, 10:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoth View Post

Interesting. I don't think my mac actually goes into sleep. I've never thought of testing this. Let me know how the testing goes (with energy savings off) and I'll put this on my todo list.

It might be as simple as the app refusing to go into sleep when the system requests. I'll look into this.

- Steve

I don't think it's a sleep thing. My Mini was already set to never sleep, but recording dies when it comes back from either a blank screen (Energy Saver > Put Display To Sleep) or from the actual Screen Saver (different Sys Pref). I've now turned both off, and trying again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1194 Old 11-16-2008, 10:24 AM

Quote:

If you start to isolate good combinations of bitrates and settings that work well on the AppleTV then I'd love to merge those settings into the app.

Is this what we're looking for (from:http://www.apple.com/appletv/specs.html ) ?

"Video formats supported
H.264 and protected H.264 (from iTunes Store): Up to 5 Mbps, Progressive Main Profile (CAVLC) with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps (maximum resolution: 1280 by 720 pixels at 24 fps, 960 by 540 pixels at 30 fps) in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats"
post #183 of 1194 Old 11-16-2008, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by strayduck View Post

Is this what we're looking for (from:http://www.apple.com/appletv/specs.html ) ?

"Video formats supported
H.264 and protected H.264 (from iTunes Store): Up to 5 Mbps, Progressive Main Profile (CAVLC) with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps (maximum resolution: 1280 by 720 pixels at 24 fps, 960 by 540 pixels at 30 fps) in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats"

Thanks for the URL.

Given that the HDPVR always outputs CABAC it wasn't clear to me how the HDPVR 720p at 59.94 fps would fit into the decoding processor envelope that maxes out at 720px24fps.

I know we can transcode the HDPVR content specifically into those 24fps spec (probably), but this is something that everyone wants to avoid.... So if any users have feedback on what HDPVR specs work well then I'm all ears.

If we make some rash assumptions about halving the max bitrate and ignoring the CABAC effect, then it might be possible to play HDPVR 720p @ 59.95 at around 2Mbps (ish), give or take with a little bit of tweaking, or set the max peak rate to 2 and see how well that works out.

- Steve
post #184 of 1194 Old 11-16-2008, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Collier View Post

I don't think it's a sleep thing. My Mini was already set to never sleep, but recording dies when it comes back from either a blank screen (Energy Saver > Put Display To Sleep) or from the actual Screen Saver (different Sys Pref). I've now turned both off, and trying again.

Hmm, I set my display sleep time to 1 minute then started a 3 minute recording. The screen went to sleep, and when I resume it 10-20 seconds later it was still recording correctly.

I'll dig deeper.
post #185 of 1194 Old 11-16-2008, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelLAX View Post

Steve:

Maybe it is the lower bitrates you use in the "letterman.ts" sample you gave me, but these MP4 and MOV conversions are the best I have seen played directly on my AppleTV -- just a slight flicker.

I've tried to get various files (with a mixture of bitrates) to playback on AppleTV via my iTunes movie library on another machine. I never see the .mov or .mp4 files listed under Shared Movies on the AppleTV.

You musty have some extra magic that I don't have. You have a regular unpatched AppleTV right, just using the stock Apple hardware?

- Steve
post #186 of 1194 Old 11-16-2008, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

...Given that the HDPVR always outputs CABAC it wasn't clear to me how the HDPVR 720p at 59.94 fps would fit into the decoding processor envelope that maxes out at 720px24fps...

You don't want to transcode 59.94 or 29.97 back down to 24fps unless you have a successful 3:2 pulldown method that actually works, and in any event this would only apply to content that was originally 24fps; i.e., filmed motion pictures or television. I attempted this in VisualHub (in Advanced Settings - framerate of "ntsc-film" per Tyler's suggestion) with results that were not satisfactory.

Quote:

I've tried to get various files (with a mixture of bitrates) to playback on AppleTV via my iTunes movie library on another machine. I never see the .mov or .mp4 files listed under Shared Movies on the AppleTV.

You musty have some extra magic that I don't have. You have a regular unpatched AppleTV right, just using the stock Apple hardware?

- Steve

A better result is to get the AppleTV to play 720p at framerates greater than 25fps (the Apple spec).

My experience is that it will do it with CALVC up to 9Mpbs, but with CABAC, we are open to experimentation.

The key is to get iTunes to sync this content over to the AppleTV so that you will find it in your My Movies folder. Follow this "fool iTunes" trick, mentioned in this post (which I have not tried with CABAC, but still should work):

http://forum.awkwardtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1986

fool itunes:

http://wiki.awkwardtv.org/wiki/How_t...ts_to_Apple_TV

Of course an unhacked AppleTV will not play CABAC; only one with Perian installed...
post #187 of 1194 Old 11-16-2008, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

The key is to get iTunes to sync this content over to the AppleTV so that you will find it in your My Movies folder. Follow this "fool iTunes" trick, mentioned in this post (which I have not tried with CABAC, but still should work):

http://forum.awkwardtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1986

fool itunes:

http://wiki.awkwardtv.org/wiki/How_t...ts_to_Apple_TV[/b]

Good info, thanks.

Then why shouldn't HDPVRCapture also create the reference movie on the fly and fully automate the process, and sync the movie to the AppleTV also if necessary? No more manual steps.

- Steve
post #188 of 1194 Old 11-16-2008, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Good info, thanks.

Then why shouldn't HDPVRCapture also create the reference movie on the fly and fully automate the process, and sync the movie to the AppleTV also if necessary? No more manual steps.

- Steve

Automation would be good, but the "fool itunes" trick does require QuickTime Pro.

I just added the afterthought that the AppleTV will require Perian to view CABAC.

Remember, I have only done limited testing on watching these MP4 files in AppleTV (30 seconds samples) and I am not convinced yet that they are acceptable from the point of view of stuttering; and my guess is that they will never be without transcoding (until the AppleTV 3.0 hardware updates to a more powerful CPU or internal H.264 decoding chip).
post #189 of 1194 Old 11-16-2008, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

Steve: a philosphical question:

In Windows with TME, in the default settings, I get .TS files with much larger bitrates than the command line examples you gave me to use (6,000 vs. 2100, etc.), which I then transcode to 4-6MPBS for the AppleTV.

My HDTV connected to my AppleTV is a lousy 32" LCD Emprex; my wife has her AppleTV connected to a 42" Panny Plasma, so I cannot see quality differences as easy as most.

Do you feel you get the proper visual quality at 2100kpbs vs 6000?
post #190 of 1194 Old 11-16-2008, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Automation would be good, but the "fool itunes" trick does require QuickTime Pro.

Same as -P4. That may actually be a feature of Quicktime and it's UI, not the basic QT frameworks that I'm using. If someone on a non-quicktime pro machine could try -P4 and see if it works, that would be good. I've been unable to verify this (without uninstalling final cut). If -P4 correctly creates the .mov on a non-quicktime-pro machine then I can also add the fool type mechanism. If the worst comes to the worst, and -P4 and a newly added AppleTV fool mechanism only needs quicktime pro, then some users will also be happy with this.[/quote]

Quote:

I just added the afterthought that the AppleTV will require Perian to view CABAC.

So that means installing the patchstick software I think.

Quote:

Remember, I have only done limited testing on watching these MP4 files in AppleTV (30 seconds samples) and I am not convinced yet that they are acceptable from the point of view of stuttering...

Yes. AppleTV is a great goal, getting to play the files to play correctly at all on Quitime/Frontrow has been the initial target.

Can you try CBR with 2mbps? I have a suspicious those might play OK. (with perian on the AppleTV)

- Steve
post #191 of 1194 Old 11-16-2008, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Same as -P4. That may actually be a feature of Quicktime and it's UI, not the basic QT frameworks that I'm using. If someone on a non-quicktime pro machine could try -P4 and see if it works, that would be good. I've been unable to verify this (without uninstalling final cut). If -P4 correctly creates the .mov on a non-quicktime-pro machine then I can also add the fool type mechanism. If the worst comes to the worst, and -P4 and a newly added AppleTV fool mechanism only needs quicktime pro, then some users will also be happy with this.

I'll turn off the PRO aspect of QT and try a -P4

So that means installing the patchstick software I think.

Yes

Yes. AppleTV is a great goal, getting to play the files to play correctly at all on Quitime/Frontrow has been the initial target.

Can you try CBR with 2mbps? I have a suspicious those might play OK. (with perian on the AppleTV)

Yes, do you mind giving me a command line to try, as I still have not had the time to study how they work. Use Channel 552 (HDNetMovies)
- Steve

I modified my last comment: "Remember, I have only done limited testing on watching these MP4 files in AppleTV (30 seconds samples) and I am not convinced yet that they are acceptable from the point of view of stuttering; and my guess is that they will never be without transcoding (until the AppleTV 3.0 hardware updates to a more powerful CPU or internal H.264 decoding chip)."
post #192 of 1194 Old 11-16-2008, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Steve: a philosphical question:

In Windows with TME, in the default settings, I get .TS files with much larger bitrates than the command line examples you gave me to use (6,000 vs. 2100, etc.), which I then transcode to 4-6MPBS for the AppleTV.

My HDTV connected to my AppleTV is a lousy 32" LCD Emprex; my wife has her AppleTV connected to a 42" Panny Plasma, so I cannot see quality differences as easy as most.

Do you feel you get the proper visual quality at 2100kpbs vs 6000?

You've miss-understood the defaults. The default bitrate is 5.5mbps and AVERAGING mode is enabled. That means it will only use 5.5mbps if it really has to, based on the amount of motion going through the encoder. (The usage page on HDPVRCapture shows this).

If you want to fix the output to 5.5mbps FIXED (and chew through disk space unnecessarily - which is what windows does) then use -B CBR. You can also increase the defaults for bitrates and peak bitrates.

Run HDPVRCapture without any args (or with -h) for a breakdown of the params.

For me, the defaults look great on ABC HD and great on crappy cable SD channels. The Average mode will rise to 5mbps (or higher - upto the peak setting of 20mbps) when the encoder needs it, and you'll burn through more disk when required but not by default.

Windows in my opinion isn't optimized properly. The default settings on the Max give you massive headroom to grow into (in AVG mode), but don't waste disk unnecessarily.

Again, the parameters are configurable - you can pick whatever settings you prefer.

- Steve
post #193 of 1194 Old 11-16-2008, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

ignore; repeated below:

1. I seem to randomly get failures. I originally thought I could solve it by moving all 3 new files out of my bin folder: tootsie.ts, tootsie.log, tootsie.mov, but not that is not always solving the problem:
post #194 of 1194 Old 11-16-2008, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I modified my last comment: "Remember, I have only done limited testing on watching these MP4 files in AppleTV (30 seconds samples) and I am not convinced yet that they are acceptable from the point of view of stuttering; and my guess is that they will never be without transcoding (until the AppleTV 3.0 hardware updates to a more powerful CPU or internal H.264 decoding chip)."

Commandline for a 2Mbps CBR recording is:

./HDPVRCapture -t 00:00:30 -V COMPONENT -A SPDIF -a AC3 -o hdpvr.ts -B CBR -b 2000000 -p 2000000 -P4
post #195 of 1194 Old 11-16-2008, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

1. I seem to randomly get failures. I originally thought I could solve it by moving all 3 new files out of my bin folder: tootsie.ts, tootsie.log, tootsie.mov, but not that is not always solving the problem:

I'm feeling dense today so I can't see the failure in your output. What exactly is the problem?
post #196 of 1194 Old 11-16-2008, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

I pasted the wrong attempt, sorry!

HDPVRCapture v1.1.0 (Nov 15 2008 @ 19:27:58)
Downloads are available from www.steventoth.net
Copyright 2008, Steven Toth.
License for: MichaelLAX@aol.com HDPVR:0xxxxxxx

Output filename: tootsie.ts
Duration: 00:00:30 (30 seconds)
Monitor via VLC: No (default)
Bitrate : 5500000 bps
Peak Bitrate: 20000000 bps
Device: 0 (default)
Audio Boost: Disabled (default)
Audio Encode: AAC
Audio Input Mux: SPDIF
Video Input Mux: COMPONENT
Bitrate Mode: AVG (default)
GOP Mode: SIMPLE (default)
Lights: OFF (default)
Ir Blaster:
Region: North America
Device: Satellite
Vendor: DirectTV
Codeset: 125
Channel#: 501
Min digits to send: 4
Needs Enter: No (default)
Post Processing with profile #4
Searching for HDPVR devices, vendor ID=0x2040 product ID=0x4900 or 0x4901

Found HDPVR, serial number = 00xxxxxx
Loading ir.xml
Booting IR Blaster
Sending channel change information
Captured: 180224 bytes, success.

Starting post processing for profile#4
Extracting Video
Extracting Audio
HDPVR1212: Failed, No such file or directory
Creating staging file
Creating .MP4
Converting .MP4 to .MOV
HDPVR1212: Failed, unable to locate any tracks in the .mp4,
Cleaning up
HDPVR1212: Failed to remove temporary file No such file or directory, tootsie.ts
HDPVR1212: Failed to remove temporary file No such file or directory, tootsie.ts
Adding content to iTunes
Post processing complete
post #197 of 1194 Old 11-16-2008, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Same as -P4. That may actually be a feature of Quicktime and it's UI, not the basic QT frameworks that I'm using. If someone on a non-quicktime pro machine could try -P4 and see if it works, that would be good. I've been unable to verify this (without uninstalling final cut). If -P4 correctly creates the .mov on a non-quicktime-pro machine then I can also add the fool type mechanism. If the worst comes to the worst, and -P4 and a newly added AppleTV fool mechanism only needs quicktime pro, then some users will also be happy with this.

It works in QuickTime "non-Pro".
post #198 of 1194 Old 11-16-2008, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

It works in QuickTime "non-Pro".

That's great news, thanks.

Download and run v1.2.0 and your random failures will go away - that was the bulk of my changes yesterday and today. If you still have random failures after this, let me know.
post #199 of 1194 Old 11-16-2008, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Commandline for a 2Mbps CBR recording is:

./HDPVRCapture -t 00:00:30 -V COMPONENT -A SPDIF -a AC3 -o hdpvr.ts -B CBR -b 2000000 -p 2000000 -P4

Initial observations (I now have to go to my Day Job and pay for this hobby, so I am done for today):

hdpvr.mov plays on my AppleTV; I did not try the fool itunes trick:

Visually: looks good, but remember on my crappy 32" LCD and my vision apparently is not as discriminating as my friends when it come to HDTV (maybe time to go to the opthomologist!?!).

Audio: I find that your AC3 audio when fed to my Panny home theater with TOSLINK: echo'y and unacceptable.

I have had this problem before.

However, when I transcode hdpvr.ts in VisualHub to AppleTV 5.1 + 2.0 (AC3/5.1 passthru with a compatible AAC/2.0 audio track added), the AC3 track plays perfectly thru my Panny.

Earlier I discussed this problem with Graham Booker (the principal author of Perian), but his responses were beyond my technical expertise. It may have something to do with the way Apple implemented AC3 in their upgrade to v2.x of the ATV software.

In any event, if you can just mimic the VisualHub process of adding the compatible AAC/2.0 audio track (which when viewed in QuickTime in Command-J mode, will show the AC3 track first, but unchecked and the AAC track next, but checked), this process seems to work on the AppleTV and provides an AAC track for those who listen to their AppleTVs on a non-surround sound system (their HDTVs for example).

I need to do another test however. The 30 seconds did not provide me a good clip of talking, so I could judge if the audio is in sync; my guess is that it is, so if you want to work on a profile for AppleTV post processing, I think you might be there (if you can fix the audio problem and add the fool itunes trick)...
post #200 of 1194 Old 11-16-2008, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

in the fool itunes trick:

in the nothing.mov file, using Command-J in QuickTime, change the aspect ratio to 1280x720 and do a SAVE.

This way there is no visual disruption in the first second, and since the file still thinks it is 1 second of 100x100, iTunes still syncs it.

I wonder, however, if the nothing.mov file should also have a 1 second AAC track, when used with combined AC3/AAC audio track HD-PVR captures.

Since the 5.1 driver is still relatively new, I have not done many captures that I later have enabled to fool itunes...
post #201 of 1194 Old 11-16-2008, 12:52 PM

Quote:

Hmm, I set my display sleep time to 1 minute then started a 3 minute recording. The screen went to sleep, and when I resume it 10-20 seconds later it was still recording correctly.

I'll dig deeper.

Well, this is just weird.

I restarted the recording, went and had lunch, raked the yard, came back downstairs and found the recording still going. I moved the mouse--about an inch--and the recording died.

Very weird. I'm trying a shorter program (1 hour) now.

UPDATE: Scratch that, I'll load 1.2 and try it instead. One hour record the first time, that doesn't do anything weird I'll keep working my way up.
post #202 of 1194 Old 11-16-2008, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

AC3 audio problem on AppleTV:

compare the audio tracks from the .TS file and the resulting .MOV file in MediaInfo Mac. You'll see some wierdness here...

After transcoded with VisualHub with the compliant AAC file, looking at this file in MediaInfo Mac shows the proper AC3/5.1 specs.

I guess I should try a VisualHub AppleTV 5.1 only transcode, but no time now...
post #203 of 1194 Old 11-16-2008, 01:04 PM

Steve, if I'd forgotten to put in the -a AC3 command (and I did), could that play into nuking a recording part of the way through? (Good move putting the error check in 1.2.)
post #204 of 1194 Old 11-16-2008, 01:23 PM

Hmm. Okay. Here's the latest.

With 1.2 installed, I fired up a one-hour record and took the dog outside. My Mini is hooked up to a Panasonic TH-50PHD8UK plasma screen via the VGA port. Thanks to the screen saver and such being deactivated, I turned off the TV power while recording unattended. Turning the TV power back ON kills a recording. Also, pausing or doing other weird things with the source box (DirecTV HR21-700) also kills a recording. I'm monitoring the source via p-in-p through HDMI on the TV, not through VLC.

So I'm not sure if I'm dealing with weirdness in my own setup (possible, given the power-on-TV-recording-go-bye-bye), or weirdness in the way the Hauppauge box talks to the Mac, or both, or what.

Appreciate it if somebody with a similar setup (i.e., Mac is hooked up to a TV, not a computer monitor) would run a test and see if they see the same thing.
post #205 of 1194 Old 11-16-2008, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

AC3 audio problem on AppleTV:

compare the audio tracks from the .TS file and the resulting .MOV file in MediaInfo Mac. You'll see some wierdness here...

After transcoded with VisualHub with the compliant AAC file, looking at this file in MediaInfo Mac shows the proper AC3/5.1 specs.

I guess I should try a VisualHub AppleTV 5.1 only transcode, but no time now...

I mentioned this on the thread yesterday, the fact that mediainfo doesn't understand the AC3 properly after Will's Quicktime pro edit trick. Yet, if you open the .mov in quicktime and look at the properties you'll see it's still AC3.

I don't know why this happens with mediainfo.

I do know that if I extract the raw ac3 from the .mov after conversion, it byte for byte matches the extracted AC3 from the original .ts recording. In other words, the audio has not changed at all - but mediainfo thinks it has. Maybe something is borked with how mediainfo parses .movs.

Try Will's trick by hand, using Quicktim-Pro, and you'll see what I mean. Create and save the mov, then check it with mediainfo, then open it up in quicktime and check the movie properties.

- Steve
post #206 of 1194 Old 11-16-2008, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hmm. Okay. Here's the latest.

With 1.2 installed, I fired up a one-hour record and took the dog outside. My Mini is hooked up to a Panasonic TH-50PHD8UK plasma screen via the VGA port. Thanks to the screen saver and such being deactivated, I turned off the TV power while recording unattended. Turning the TV power back ON kills a recording. Also, pausing or doing other weird things with the source box (DirecTV HR21-700) also kills a recording. I'm monitoring the source via p-in-p through HDMI on the TV, not through VLC.

So I'm not sure if I'm dealing with weirdness in my own setup (possible, given the power-on-TV-recording-go-bye-bye), or weirdness in the way the Hauppauge box talks to the Mac, or both, or what.

Appreciate it if somebody with a similar setup (i.e., Mac is hooked up to a TV, not a computer monitor) would run a test and see if they see the same thing.

I could believe the STB signal going away couple be an issue. If the encoder gets starved then anything could happen.

I wouldn't say you have a specific problem, but I can't repro it on a macpro.

Is your STB configured to output 720p regardless of the input signal? I've seen issues in the past (under windows) where the encoder gets sick if the resolution changes on the fly. Just a thought, you might want to double check that.
post #207 of 1194 Old 11-16-2008, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Steve, if I'd forgotten to put in the -a AC3 command (and I did), could that play into nuking a recording part of the way through? (Good move putting the error check in 1.2.)

I've never known that to be an issue, and I can't imagine it would be. Generally speaking once the encoder starts, providing nothing happens to the input signal it runs forever.

Check your STB, make sure it's set to fix the output to 720p and AC3.

The other thing, from purely a test point of view, try and isolate the STB from the equation. Hook up a SD dvd player with AC3, or 2 channel audio. Let it record for a long time... if energy savings are disabled - does the issue happen then? Change one variable at once and see if you can narrow it down.

- Steve
post #208 of 1194 Old 11-16-2008, 02:55 PM

Quote:

I could believe the STB signal going away couple be an issue. If the encoder gets starved then anything could happen.

I wouldn't say you have a specific problem, but I can't repro it on a macpro.

Is your STB configured to output 720p regardless of the input signal? I've seen issues in the past (under windows) where the encoder gets sick if the resolution changes on the fly. Just a thought, you might want to double check that.

Yeah, it's hard wired. Don't think that's it.

I'll try it with an HD-DVD player next. Probably be sometime tomorrow before I have a chance.
post #209 of 1194 Old 11-16-2008, 04:12 PM

Just an update:

HDPVRCapture works under the AppleTV provided the mach kernel is patched to bypass the USB device whitelist. The easiest way to do this is using NitoTV and including the 10.4.9 OSX update in ~/Documents. The kernel patch via NitoTV also installs several USB related kexts so at this time, I'm not sure if both the whitelist patch and the kexts are required.

As a bonus, the -P params also work and result in ts -> mp4 conversions.

Still have problems with capture of 480i, not with HDPVRCapture but nothing but current VLC can play them. Also analog audio input for -V SVIDEO seems to have changed (from 1.0 version) from front panel to back panel connectors.

Moved downstairs again to test 720p captures under the AppleTV OS.
post #210 of 1194 Old 11-16-2008, 04:27 PM

Okay, I figured it out. The problem is not the Mac or the app or the capture box, the problem is the DirecTV STB. I've been previously monitoring what's on the STB via its HDMI output, which goes through a switch box and then to the TV (I have the Mac desktop in one p-in-p window and the DTV HDMI output in another). Whenever the TV cycles power (or either of the p-in-p screens refreshes, as in the Mac coming out of screen saver), the STB is (I'm guessing) doing an HDCP handshake, and that's (guessing again) generating enough of a hiccup in the analog stream from the component outs to make the Hauppauge box stop recording. When I either disconnect the HDMI cable or turn off the HDMI switch box, I can switch the TV on and off to my heart's content, the 1212 keeps running and the app keeps recording.

So there's my work-around: start a recording, then turn off the HDMI switch if I'm going to leave it unattended with the TV off. Only problem is, this is going to make it pretty hard to tell what's going on with the SDB while a recording is in progress. Guess it's time I tried using the VLC monitor option.

UPDATE: The VLC monitor option works just fine, even on the Mini. Now all I need is a "preview" window to see what I'm doing before a recording begins.

Steve, this is not exactly your problem, but a minimum-size passthrough window just for monitoring purposes would be a very nice addition once we get to GUI-ness.
Reply HTPC - Mac Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page