post #31 of 222 Old 03-23-2009, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbfreq View Post

RS-232, as a control protocol for A/V gear, is far from obsolete. ...

I think we are talking past each other on this one. Of course I know that many AVRs and other components, including my Denons feature RS-232. So in the sense that it is in active use, RS-232 is certainly not obsolete.

However, my claim is that RS-232 as protocol for newly built equipment, has been obsolete for a quarter century, and any manufacturer that continues to use it is . At bare, bare minimum they should be using USB, but really they should be using WiFi or at least Ethernet. To be building equipment of any kind and sticking RS-232 ports on it in 2009 shows that HT component makers are totally out of touch, not to say morons. IMO, YMMV, you get the picture.

You don't need a diagram as to why this is so -- if they had WiFi, they could talk directly to your iPhone or laptop right now (given software). If they had Ethernet, you could connect them to your home network, which would easily feed via WiFi to your iPhone/laptop. With USB, at least you could plug it into any computer without having to buy some hardware adapter. But RS-232? All that is good for is connecting to other, equally retarded HT components.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 222 Old 03-23-2009, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubesys View Post

I have been working on a project doing exactly this. You can find the thread in the remote area of this forum....

Link to the thread in the remote area.

Please do come by here and let us know when it's finished, cubesys!
post #33 of 222 Old 03-23-2009, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Todorov View Post

However, my claim is that RS-232 as protocol for newly built equipment, has been obsolete for a quarter century, and any manufacturer that continues to use it is . At bare, bare minimum they should be using USB, but really they should be using WiFi or at least Ethernet. To be building equipment of any kind and sticking RS-232 ports on it in 2009 shows that HT component makers are totally out of touch, not to say morons. IMO, YMMV, you get the picture.
components.

I completely agree that while the RS232 protocol is found on many high end devices, it seems quite archaic in 2009. I would love to see more things be Ethernet enabled (wireless or wired is fine with me). I think as we move to a more connected home and as the lines between TV, movies and the internet become more blurred Ethernet is a great "glue" to keep it all connected.

Itai

Did I mention we are flat to 11?
post #34 of 222 Old 03-24-2009, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

However, my claim is that RS-232 as protocol for newly built equipment, has been obsolete for a quarter century, and any manufacturer that continues to use it is .

What protocol, exactly, should manufacturers have been using instead of RS-232 in the year 1984 (2009 minus "a quarter century")?
post #35 of 222 Old 03-24-2009, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Gremlin View Post

What protocol, exactly, should manufacturers have been using instead of RS-232 in the year 1984 (2009 minus "a quarter century")?

RS-422* It made relative marvels like AppleTalk possible. I'll grant you that I wouldn't be very happy if they were STILL using RS-422 in 2009, considering that it in turn was obsoleted in 1999 by a combination of Ethernet and USB.

Speaking of Ethernet, by 1986 it was available to ordinary mortals with PC/Macs (not standard, you need an expansion card), by 1991 it started becoming standard equipment on Macs.

*And in case you think R-422 was some mostly Apple concoction, in the late '80s and into the '90s much of the backbone of the Telerate network was running on RS-422.
post #36 of 222 Old 03-24-2009, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

RS-422

Ah, yes, I remember RS-422. I was designing with it back in the early '80s.

However, RS-232 was ubiquitous. Yes it used a disgustingly big 25-pin connector, and it did have some annoyances, e.g. male vs female, DCE vs DTE. Highly non-standard implementations. Etc. But still much more popular than anything else. I can't imagine the HT industry being willing or able to standardize on something like RS-422 in 1984.

That's what makes twisted pair Ethernet so interesting in 2009. Simple. Very cheap. Very fast. Very popular. And totally "plug and play" standard (e.g. auto-crossover and DHCP).

Ethernet is the real standard! USB and WiFi have many incompatible variations.

And of course this is so off-topic for this thread. Nobody wants a wired connection to use for remote control of their HT.
post #37 of 222 Old 03-25-2009, 03:40 AM

There is easy to use software and hardware to make the iphone touch in to universal remote control. Here is a link tinbert.com/iRed2/iRedTouch
post #38 of 222 Old 03-25-2009, 04:57 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
While I think Ethernet is the obvious choice today, I would probably be disappointed in any solution that would be around in 25 years. This is an industry that changes several times a year with new gear. I still don't understand why the back of a $2000 receiver has a ton of s-video and composite connections.

Itai

Did I mention we are flat to 11?
post #39 of 222 Old 04-08-2009, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

No longer vaporware:
iRedTouch
It includes a $189 (shipping from Europe included) piece of IR blaster/Ethernet hardware and a $29 remote from the iTunesApp store. Looking at the screenshots they do indeed grok the concept.

The question is whether it is worth the $218 -- a review from a trusted source would certainly help. The stuff on iTunes is the usual combination of one star reviews from people too stupid to understand that they need a hardware IR gizmo and five star review I don't trust because they don't mention a single bug or brands/types of HT equipment they are controlling.

Brave souls welcome -- I just blew my budget on a Mac Pro, so, for the moment, it won't be me.

I should add -- the $29 for the software is totally reasonable IMO -- but the $189 for the IR gizmo, when you can get an IR blaster like the Manta TR1 for $20 is bogus. Of course the kind folks selling the Manta don't have software enabling the IR blasting capability, so no go -- but whoever combines a the good iPhone software with a cheap ($20) IR blaster wins. In fairness, I should add that the Manta, a USB device, would require a computer, while the IR TRans Ethernet thing just needs a router hookup, but all that is overkill anyway. In that respect the vaporware people from Canada have the best plan because their device doesn't overkill -- I just connects directly to the iPhone.
post #40 of 222 Old 04-08-2009, 12:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Ted, have you tried Rowmote yet with your Mac Pro? It's a tolerable, down and dirty Apple remote substitute for a Mac without IR. For a buck.

http://rowmote.com/Rowmote.html
post #41 of 222 Old 04-08-2009, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefklc View Post

Ted, have you tried Rowmote yet with your Mac Pro? It's a tolerable, down and dirty Apple remote substitute for a Mac without IR. For a buck.

http://rowmote.com/Rowmote.html

No, the Pro isn't due until the beginning of next week. But I can obviously test this on the Mini in the mean time. Thanks, Chef!
post #42 of 222 Old 04-08-2009, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Rowmote is useless with EyeTV, unfortunately -- it does not successfully emulate the Apple Remote -- forward/backward skip, scrolling through options in fullscreen menu mode -- none of it works. All you can do is start/stop and adjust the volume.

Elgato has been VERY slow in coming out with their own iPhone remote.
post #43 of 222 Old 04-17-2009, 09:13 PM

I'm controlling my home theater and window shades using the Command Fusion iViewer iPhone app and the Global Cache controller. I am definitely impressed that I can control everything from my iPhone with the tiny GC100 box. I agree with other posts that in the future even these little boxes will be obsolete - everything will communicate by 802.11 wifi because those networks already exist in all homes. It will be nice when all home theater components, light switches, thermostats, etc are wifi-enabled. I posted some screenshots of my customized iViewer iPhone app at the bootom of the following thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=16089383
post #44 of 222 Old 05-01-2009, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Rowmote is useless with EyeTV, unfortunately -- it does not successfully emulate the Apple Remote -- forward/backward skip, scrolling through options in fullscreen menu mode -- none of it works. All you can do is start/stop and adjust the volume.

Should say that if you are interested in the other Apps Rowmote supports (like Front Row or Apple DVD player, but it is a very long list, I just used it with the two mentioned) -- it is extremely responsive and I highly recommend it. Also, it has "maintain connection" and "keep iPhone from sleeping" options, so if you are willing to sacrifice battery life, you have a 100% immediate response remote in your hands.
post #45 of 222 Old 05-12-2009, 04:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Elgato has been VERY slow in coming out with their own iPhone remote

Agreed, yet another example of El Gato losing focus and dropping the ball. Haven't tried it yet but just read that a new EyeTV remote app was released:

http://www.poke-eye.com/
post #46 of 222 Old 05-12-2009, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefklc View Post

Agreed, yet another example of El Gato losing focus and dropping the ball. Haven't tried it yet but just read that a new EyeTV remote app was released:

http://www.poke-eye.com/

Thanks, Chef, I'll try it out later.

Wish Rowmote would fix their EyeTV functionality. It is so perfect otherwise. Wife friendly, even.

So far as Elgato is concerned, they are a puzzle. I guess the most charitable thing to say is that they have very limited resources and prioritize in supporting new hardware because that's what produces the most income.
post #47 of 222 Old 05-12-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:

Thanks, Chef, I'll try it out later.

Wish Rowmote would fix their EyeTV functionality. It is so perfect otherwise. Wife friendly, even.

So far as Elgato is concerned, they are a puzzle. I guess the most charitable thing to say is that they have very limited resources and prioritize in supporting new hardware because that's what produces the most income.

Hi, I'm the author of Poke Eye, and welcome any feedback (good & bad) people might have. The easiest is maybe on Twitter (to PokeEye), or to email me directly. I consciously focused on getting the basics first, and to build on that with new features later.

There are currently a couple of bugs (should be just in the server component), but I'll try to smooth those ASAP. Mostly it seems that if you have not built a favourite channel list with EyeTV, and set it, then there are problems.

As for Elgato, I think that yes, they are focusing now on their core revenue and products. I was originally planning this remote control before last summer, but didn't start work on it after I heard Elgato might be coming out with their own remote. That, however, has not happened, so I commenced work on Poke Eye.
post #48 of 222 Old 05-12-2009, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Welcome Setok, I look forward to trying your remote. Good thing you mentioned the favorite channels thing -- I don't have it set up -- I almost never watch live TV.

I'm also glad you are choosing Twitter as a venue for support, as that leaves everything in the open -- always helpful and a good sign.
post #49 of 222 Old 05-12-2009, 05:06 PM

Just uploaded an update to the server component. It had a problem returning channels when no favourite channel list was selected on EyeTV. Additionally recording wasn't working. No updates required to the iPhone app. Apologies to anyone who had issues.

You can download the patched server component at the Poke Eye address (heh, can't post URLs with under 3 posts )

I also specified that it requires Leopard on the Mac. I actually have it running on Tiger as well, but the .app bundle is not happy on Tiger for some reason. If people need a Tiger version, let me know and I'll look into it.
post #50 of 222 Old 05-12-2009, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

for any using slingbox - just release is
a new iPhone/pod Touch remote app to control it (WiFi only no 3G)...

ken
post #51 of 222 Old 05-13-2009, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Purchased Poke Eye ($1.99 at the iTunes App Store) and extensively tested it.

It works. Indeed it is very responsive and well designed. For anyone in my boat (no native Apple Remote support), it is the best option for EyeTV control. In the future, with improvements, it can become the must have EyeTV remote for all users. I recommend it.

However it *is* in dire need of improvement:

1) It needs stay connected/keep device awake options a la Rowmote. This is by far the biggest issue -- if you are watching a commercial laden recording, you want to be able to skip through commercials immediately, not after you have unlocked your iPhone and reconnected Poke Eye. Yes, this can vampirize the battery, which is why it should be optional, but it is essential. As it will tend to be used at home, with a charger readily available, most people will gladly sacrifice the battery for performance.

2) Stability -- it did crash once during reconnection.

3) Episode names (please do keep the dates as well) for the recordings. One thing that would be great is an option to keep them ordered alphabetically by show, the way they are now, but oldest to newest by date within each show.

4) Support for EyeTVs full screen menus. You'd need a Menu Key, Up/Down arrows, Select.

5) FF/Rew keys.

6) (And this is strictly in the extra credit, v 2.0 territory) Ability to control the onscreen progress cursor, the way you could with a mouse, so you can find a specific place in a long recording. Telling us what's playing, a la the Apple Remote for iTunes.

7) (Again extra credit) Add Front Row/Apple DVD player support to make this the one stop Mac HTPC remote.
post #52 of 222 Old 05-13-2009, 08:32 AM

Quote:

1) It needs stay connected/keep device awake options a la Rowmote. This is by far the biggest issue -- if you are watching a commercial laden recording, you want to be able to skip through commercials immediately, not after you have unlocked your iPhone and reconnected Poke Eye. Yes, this can vampirize the battery, which is why it should be optional, but it is essential. As it will tend to be used at home, with a charger readily available, most people will gladly sacrifice the battery for performance.

Check the application settings on the iPhone. That is already there Perhaps I should make it more obvious somewhere.

It will still cut the connection after 30 minutes (I had to employ a bit of a hack even to get it working the way it does now). This, despite having the correct app option set, which should stop the iPhone OS from doing that. That's out of my control, but I'll see if I can find out why the option isn't working (or then it's an iPhone OS 2.2.1 thing).

Getting the display to stay on is something I've been thinking about, so glad you brought that up. One possibility would be to have it always work that way: to keep the display open (phone unlocked) when Poke Eye is running. So the display would only be turned off when the user explicitly does so. Alternatively I could have an option to control that.

As to the crash, did it give any error message or did it just crash, plain and simple? I'll see if I can discover any reason why it would do that.

I considered FF/RWD, but as I actually never use those myself (I always skip back and forwards), I decided to leave them out to reduce clutter (I left out volume controls for the same reason *I always adjust from the HiFi). If several people want/need them, I'll obviously put them in.

Thanks for your excellent review and very useful points. I'll definitely be looking at all of them and will do my best to make it better.
post #53 of 222 Old 05-13-2009, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setok View Post

Check the application settings on the iPhone. That is already there Perhaps I should make it more obvious somewhere.

D'oh! Should have looked. That is the number 1 inconsistency in iPhone apps -- you are actually doing it correctly. But so many apps stick preferences as a tab inside their app, that you forget to look where you are supposed to. 30 Minutes is fine -- if you don't touch it for 30 mins, clearly you are not watching something with commercials.
Quote:

Getting the display to stay on is something I've been thinking about, so glad you brought that up. One possibility would be to have it always work that way: to keep the display open (phone unlocked) when Poke Eye is running. So the display would only be turned off when the user explicitly does so. Alternatively I could have an option to control that.

Go for the separate option.
Quote:

As to the crash, did it give any error message or did it just crash, plain and simple? I'll see if I can discover any reason why it would do that.

Don't remember if there was an error or not before it quit. Do you get crash logs back when the iPhone gets synched to iTunes the next time, or are they strictly for Apple?

Quote:

I considered FF/RWD, but as I actually never use those myself (I always skip back and forwards), I decided to leave them out to reduce clutter (I left out volume controls for the same reason *I always adjust from the HiFi). If several people want/need them, I'll obviously put them in.

Agreed, reducing clutter should be your top priority. I rarely use FF/RW, almost always skip/back. They are good for sporting event recordings (too boring to watch the whole thing, but you can FF to the good parts). I definitely do not want volume. Having a volume key that can be hit by accident is annoying. You might want a separate "advanced" control screen, or a customizable one. It is also a question for the full screen menu controls -- how to have them without adding clutter.

Thanks for your programming effort and quick response!
post #54 of 222 Old 05-13-2009, 10:54 AM

Quote:

Don't remember if there was an error or not before it quit. Do you get crash logs back when the iPhone gets synched to iTunes the next time, or are they strictly for Apple?

I should get crash logs back (Apple has recently announced that possibility). Whether it'll be possible to decipher what is going on from them is another story. I'll look out at that when/if it appears.

Feel free to write your comments on AppStore as well. Not sure if the US store has any ratings yet...
post #55 of 222 Old 05-13-2009, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setok View Post

Feel free to write your comments on AppStore as well. Not sure if the US store has any ratings yet...

I did this morning. They get moderated first.
post #56 of 222 Old 05-14-2009, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

OK, after using Poke Eye -- maybe it needs a less violent name -- again last night with the "Stay Connected" option turned on, I have disconnected the Twisted Mellon IR receiver and put away the white Apple Remotes. Between Poke Eye, Rowmote and Remote (Apple's iTunes app.) I have a far, far better setup than I ever did with the Apple & EyeTV hardware remotes. Yes, things will get even better in the future, but we are at a high level of usability already. I found myself resorting to the mouse so I could delete EyeTV shows I had just watched, but I'm sure that will be addressed with Poke Eye updates. (The one remaining test -- I haven't used Rowmote since the Poke Eye install -- I should go back and try it to make sure there is no conflict).

With the stay connected option on Poke Eye, I found that setting the iPhone to never autolock wasn't all that necessary -- the gain in speed of not having to unlock it was offset by light from the iPhone being a distraction to the viewing experience. In any event the two settings should definitely be kept separate.
post #57 of 222 Old 05-14-2009, 10:31 AM

I downloaded it, good app.

You need to enable support for more than 1 Mac without having to authenticate each time (Rowmote does this).

Display channel numbers along with channel names

give an option for up channel and down channel.
post #58 of 222 Old 05-14-2009, 03:35 PM

Quote:

I found myself resorting to the mouse so I could delete EyeTV shows I had just watched, but I'm sure that will be addressed with Poke Eye updates. (The one remaining test -- I haven't used Rowmote since the Poke Eye install -- I should go back and try it to make sure there is no conflict).

My goal is definitely to eradicate the use of a mouse, as far as possible, so yes, this goes on the TODO list.

Quote:

With the stay connected option on Poke Eye, I found that setting the iPhone to never autolock wasn't all that necessary -- the gain in speed of not having to unlock it was offset by light from the iPhone being a distraction to the viewing experience. In any event the two settings should definitely be kept separate.

Thanks for letting me know. The light factor is a good point. Although if that setting is turned on, you can always manually switch the screen off. So it offers a level of manual control some might prefer. I think you're right, though, that a separate setting is the best.
post #59 of 222 Old 05-14-2009, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodean View Post

I downloaded it, good app.

Cheers. Working towards making it better still

Quote:

You need to enable support for more than 1 Mac without having to authenticate each time (Rowmote does this).

You shouldn't have to authenticate each time, once you've done it once for each instance of the Poke Eye server app. At least I switch between using the app with my test environment and my actual EyeTV installation without having to enter the code. So if you're needing to do that, there's possibly a bug somewhere.

However you are right that it does not properly support more than 1 Mac in the sense that it connects to whatever it finds first, instead of listing all the Macs on the network. This was one of those things I wanted to discover: do many people run a multi-EyeTV setup at home (I certainly don't). If so, I'll need to deal with that
[/quote]

Quote:

Display channel numbers along with channel names

Really? Why? I only ask because I originally had them, then took them away, and after a while I stopped missing them. Channel numbers to me seem only relevant if you're using a clunky number pad remote, instead of having the actual list of channels directly under your finger tip.

Quote:

give an option for up channel and down channel.

This is possibly an option I do need to add (although when designing Poke Eye I reckoned it wouldn't be necessary). People like to channel surf lazily. You do learn how to do it half blindly with the channel list, but up/down could still be nice. Good point.
post #60 of 222 Old 05-14-2009, 04:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

This was one of those things I wanted to discover: do many people run a multi-EyeTV setup at home (I certainly don't). If so, I'll need to deal with that

Yes.

Here's why--the digital audio kernel panic that El Gato has never properly addressed with transparency. Many of us have moved to multiple tuners on multiple Macs because that's the only way to guarantee you'll actually get the recordings you want.
Reply HTPC - Mac Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page