iPhone/iPod Touch Remote Apps - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 222 Old 05-14-2009, 05:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Also you have your HDHomerun users who use multiple Macs (myself included).

Yes, it would be helpful to have either channel numbers or for the over air channels the network (ABC, NBC, CBS etc), just the station's call numbers don't tell me enough to know which channel I'm looking for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 222 Old 05-15-2009, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodean View Post

Also you have your HDHomerun users who use multiple Macs (myself included).

Yes, it would be helpful to have either channel numbers or for the over air channels the network (ABC, NBC, CBS etc), just the station's call numbers don't tell me enough to know which channel I'm looking for.

How are channels named over there in the US? I mean, what do they appear like with Poke Eye right now? Over here in Finland they get listed with names such as: Yle 1, Yle 2, BBC World, Discovery Channel, Animal Planet, Eurosport etc. These are completely unambiguous and descriptive names. However, I understand things may be different in the US.
post #63 of 222 Old 05-15-2009, 01:39 PM

Moving discussion of Poke Eye to this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post16468520
post #64 of 222 Old 05-18-2009, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

what's the latest experience on best Universal WiFi to IR remote app for control of all devices? Is the IRedTouch app with USB IRTrans still the best around? Anybody using this one or another than can share their experience?

thx in advance...

ken
post #65 of 222 Old 05-19-2009, 05:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenliles View Post

what's the latest experience on best Universal WiFi to IR remote app for control of all devices? Is the IRedTouch app with USB IRTrans still the best around? Anybody using this one or another than can share their experience?

So far as I know, it is the only one in existence right now. There is the Canadian vaporware UIRemote but they haven't updated in months -- either the project is dead or they have decided to wait for iPhone 3.0, which has API support for external hardware, so waiting may be a good idea.

If you decide to try iRedTouch, please report
post #66 of 222 Old 05-19-2009, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

thanks much Ted-
If someone doesn't come along with something soon, I may go Big-Red,
and I'll post up the results...

ken
post #67 of 222 Old 05-21-2009, 09:41 AM

Currently I have been playing with snatch, $5.99 in the app store

particularly the eyetv and Plex remotes, but it also has a good trackpad and keyboard functions, along with an application launcher

h~p://hoofien.com/Snatch/remotes.html

h~p://wiki.plexapp.com/index.php/IPhone_Remote

I can't post links yet

The idea of custom screens seems appealling. I know several other remote apps do this, but with both plex and eyetv done(and working well) snatch has been my choice
post #68 of 222 Old 05-21-2009, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Rowmote is now offering a "Pro" version which also does "mouse" and horizontal keyboard ($5, I think).

I would have bought it, but now I'm curious to try the Snatch thing as it promises EyeTV support as well. (EyeTV is still broken on the latest non-pro Rowmote).

Snatch seems to be more capable than Rowmote, but it is also potentially way more (way too?) complicated.
The Snatch user manual
Screenshots of their remotes. IF the EyeTV stuff pictured does work, it would cover everything in full screen mode.

The dam is starting to fill up. I predict that a year from now we will have more remotes, universal and otherwise than we know what to do with.
post #69 of 222 Old 05-22-2009, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

OK, I bought and tested Snatch last night. (There is a free version, but it has no remote capabilities). Impressions:

1) The convoluted installation process confirmed my fears -- ease of use is a very, very weak point here, and indeed if there was another product with all the capabilities of Snatch, I'd say a fatal flaw. I had to read the instructions over and over before I finally figured it out. The remote templates get loaded separately. I can see why -- you are allowed to edit them yourself and save the new templates back to your Mac, but it would have been much better if they preloaded the vanilla versions in the app. Plus the loading program hung the first time I tried.

2) Capability: The very strong point. I tested the EyeTV remote and it does everything I could want it to, including full, smooth support of EyeTVs full screen menus, which I found to be a more more convenient way of finding and launching recordings than the list Poke Eye provides. Snatch also has "mouse" capabilities so you can use the slider to move around a recording.

3) Stability/bugs: Aside from the hang during and pain of install, after about 45 minutes of use Snatch said that it had "lost connection to the server" and stopped working. I was too tired to troubleshoot, so I launched Poke Eye and it connected and worked just fine.

Verdict: Snatch is by far the most powerful/full featured EyeTV capable remote out there right now, but it is far from a smooth experience (the way Poke Eye is). It is up to you whether you wish to accept the tradeoff. The other question is what will happen first: Poke Eye will become as full featured, or Snatch will fix its current problems.
post #70 of 222 Old 05-22-2009, 10:21 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I tested Snatch, too, Ted, and I suspect I'm a little more impressed with it than you...once you figure out how to load those EyeTV and Front Row remote packages, and yes, I had to open the help file and be walked through the process of loading and saving screens, actual use becomes a lot more fluid and intuitive. After playing with it for a few hours, I think it just might be an essential purchase for anyone planning to use an iPhone/touch in the HT.

Quote:

I tested the EyeTV remote and it does everything I could want it to, including full, smooth support of EyeTVs full screen menus, which I found to be a more more convenient way of finding and launching recordings than the list Poke Eye provides.

Apple's free Remote app, Poke Eye ($1.99) and Snatch ($5.99) are a good combo to have--all apps and servers seem to co-exist well so far--I still prefer Poke Eye for simple, straightforward EyeTV use, but if you think you might need scroll, click, drag or keyboard functionality, then you also need something like Snatch. Its landscape keyboard is very nice, I love how easy it is to switch from the "Front Row remote" screen to the "EyeTV remote" screen, and, well, with about 6 or 7 taps in Snatch you can switch EyeTV audio out from system sound to digital, unlike with Poke Eye. I didn't experience any connection or re-connection problems.

It seems the odd man out in my remote toolbox will be Rowmote, which I never really embraced--at this point I'd only recommend it as the simplest and cheapest ($1) way to get Front Row/Apple remote functionality when you don't otherwise have an Apple remote. Much beyond that, though, was frustrating or too limited.
post #71 of 222 Old 05-23-2009, 02:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greedo View Post

I've been using Air Mouse (from the iTunes Store) for about a week. It's not too bad for controlling my mini HTPC. It connects to the mini via WiFi and is pretty responsive.

I picked up Air Mouse a couple weeks ago and like it. I had been using an RF keyboard and mouse for HT use but the Air Mouse allowed me t get rid of those. I like the trackpad function, the landscape and keyboard modes as well as the media player and Web navigation functions.
post #72 of 222 Old 05-24-2009, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefklc View Post

...It seems the odd man out in my remote toolbox will be Rowmote, which I never really embraced--at this point I'd only recommend it as the simplest and cheapest ($1) way to get Front Row/Apple remote functionality when you don't otherwise have an Apple remote. Much beyond that, though, was frustrating or too limited.

I gave Snatch an extensive workout and have to agree, it really is quite good. Still some defects: the Snatch iPhone App crashed on me a few times. Also, there doesn't seem to be a way to add Front Row to their Launchpad, which is a problem because pressing Menu on the Front Row remote while in EyeTV does not bring up Front Row.

In that respect Rowmote is still useful -- it reliably fires up Front Row, no matter what.
post #73 of 222 Old 05-25-2009, 01:44 PM

I use Plex in place of FrontRow.

I tried to use the Understudy FrontRow plugin, but found the hulu component buggy. Just one of the reasons I prefer Plex for my HT front end.

I followed the snatch tutorial on the Plex wiki (see above) and found install to be very straight forward. I have been playing with making my own remote screens(primarily by modifying those already created) and agree it is technically intensive. The plex remotes are very useful when combined with the keyboard maps. I too have had the occasional loss of communication with the server, but only for brief periods.

Here is the link to the understudy project.

h~p://code.google.com/p/understudy/
post #74 of 222 Old 08-09-2009, 01:44 PM

I've tried a few different remote apps, Remote Buddy has just upgraded with excellent EyeTV support, I've uninstalled all of the others in favor of it, its the best I've tried yet.

http://www.iospirit.com/products/rem...dy/ajaxremote/
post #75 of 222 Old 08-09-2009, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've tried a few different remote apps, Remote Buddy has just upgraded with excellent EyeTV support, I've uninstalled all of the others in favor of it, its the best I've tried yet.

http://www.iospirit.com/products/rem...dy/ajaxremote/

I can't beleive they *still* don't have a native iPhone App. Maybe the web based stuff is good enough, but call me prejudiced, I don't believe it. Can key press response really be instant in a webapp as it is in a good native app? (Snatch works very well, for instance).

Edit: Fixed spelling and added last sentence.
post #76 of 222 Old 08-11-2009, 08:38 AM

You guys really need to keep watching cubesys' iPhone remote project here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1124844

Read that whole thread and you'll be hooked! But, the waiting is the hardest part...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #77 of 222 Old 08-13-2009, 06:14 AM

I have been using RowMote and have been very happy with that. It works with several programs and the Pro version also has mouse and keyboard build-in, in case I need them. However, iPod Touch still has not replaced my Logitech MX Air Mouse which I have been extremely happy past 2 years. The thing with iPod as a controller is that it simply is not always accessible (you need to turn it on, slide lock open, open the remote app if not on, wait for authentication.
post #78 of 222 Old 08-13-2009, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tukom View Post

The thing with iPod as a controller is that it simply is not always accessible (you need to turn it on, slide lock open, open the remote app if not on, wait for authentication.

Didn't Rowmote have a stay connected option? Snatch does, and it works fine -- no waiting. I've set my old iPhone's autolock to "never" -- so once I start using it as a remote, it stay on and connected and every bit as instant as a "real" remote. Currently my "retired" iPhone servers as alarm clock/cooking timer(Big StopWatch) and HT Remote. Very handy around the house.
post #79 of 222 Old 08-13-2009, 12:03 PM

RemoteBuddy has much better EyeTV support than Rowmote (in my opinion)
post #80 of 222 Old 08-13-2009, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

RemoteBuddy has much better EyeTV support than Rowmote (in my opinion)

I didn't think Rowmote supported EyeTV at all. Did you try Snatch and PokeEye? I mostly use Snatch for EyeTV and find it quite good.
post #81 of 222 Old 08-13-2009, 01:21 PM

Yes, tried both, Remote Buddy's new (as of this week) EyeTV support is superior.

Free trial, give it a shot (Mac only)

http://www.iospirit.com/products/remotebuddy/
post #82 of 222 Old 08-15-2009, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Todorov View Post

Didn't Rowmote have a stay connected option? Snatch does, and it works fine -- no waiting. I've set my old iPhone's autolock to "never" -- so once I start using it as a remote, it stay on and connected and every bit as instant as a "real" remote. Currently my "retired" iPhone servers as alarm clock/cooking timer(Big StopWatch) and HT Remote. Very handy around the house.

Yes Rowmote has a prevent sleepmode, but I still don't find it very practical. You still need to go through the "initialization" steps when you need the remote for the first time and surprisingly often you find your self grabbing a mouse or real remote control instead of iPod Touch.
post #83 of 222 Old 08-15-2009, 08:10 AM

I tried the remote buddy and I think it has a lot of potential, especially as it makes reading text easier from the sofa. It has a menu system how you control it. However, it did not support my Logitech MX Air Mouse, so it was not a perfect fit for me. For people using remote control as control device, I think it is quite useful application.
post #84 of 222 Old 09-22-2009, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Another iPhone universal IR remote that hasn't been mentioned here before -- RedEye. RedEye vendor's website.
That iPhone app is available now, free from iTunes; the hardware is still in beta (they are promising a November release), for $188.

If anyone can add any info on this product, please do!
post #85 of 222 Old 09-22-2009, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

this is good news - I've used Red Eye products in the past and liked them; Looks like a well integrated system, albeit unimaginative use interface...

thanks for posting Ted

ken
post #86 of 222 Old 11-19-2009, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Voomote: new, gesture based iPhone remote for EyeTV/Front Row/DVD Player/Boxee/Hulu. Voomote's website $4.99 on iTunes. The no button remote: something that Steve Jobs would surely love

Currently I am using Snatch -- Mac OS X 10.6.2 seems to have eliminated the connectivity issues it was having.
post #87 of 222 Old 11-20-2009, 01:18 AM
AVS Special Member

If you'd like a little extra eye candy and you don't mind freeware (currently), take a look at Mood Mouse.
post #88 of 222 Old 12-02-2009, 12:35 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Another iPhone universal IR remote that hasn't been mentioned here before -- RedEye. RedEye vendor's website.
That iPhone app is available now, free from iTunes; the hardware is still in beta (they are promising a November release), for $188.

If anyone can add any info on this product, please do!

i too would appreciate any first hand accounts re redeye.

just saw the plug over at engadget.

i'm interested in finding out whether the app can be used to control xbmc/boxee running on mac.
post #89 of 222 Old 12-02-2009, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Looks like RedEye is out of beta and shipping. One HUGE frustration with their website -- there is no list of supported devices (wild guess, because it is small). I would buy this thing instantly if I knew it supports my Denon AVRs out of the box.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleitry View Post

i'm interested in finding out whether the app can be used to control xbmc/boxee running on mac

??? Presumably some of the software only iPhone remotes out there already do -- why in the world would you want an IR remote to control Mac software?
post #90 of 222 Old 12-02-2009, 07:17 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Looks like RedEye is out of beta and shipping. One HUGE frustration with their website -- there is no list of supported devices (wild guess, because it is small). I would buy this thing instantly if I knew it supports my Denon AVRs out of the box.
??? Presumably some of the software only iPhone remotes out there already do -- why in the world would you want an IR remote to control Mac software?

fair question. i use XBMC Vmote or the Boxee app to control the related app on my mbp via wifi. with the mbp connected to my lcd via hdmi, I can sit in the living room and pretty much already use my 3gs to control the content on my tv.

the only reason i touch my logitech 1000 is to turn the lcd on and adjust the volume. based on my reading of redeye's site, redeye would replace my logitech. the question in my mind then is: could I use redeye (since it is supposed to run on a local wifi network) to also control my media centers on the mbp? if it could do that, i would most likely plunk down the change redeye is charging for their hardware/app.

to be fair, i'm not certain that redeye would care that much for xbmc. but maybe they would for boxee. either way, it would be cool to have a true all-in-one solution.
Reply HTPC - Mac Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page