AVS Forum banner

iPhone/iPod Touch Remote Apps

67K views 221 replies 55 participants last post by  Ruxl 
#1 ·
I think it's time to have a dedicated thread on this subject.

First some news I haven't seen here: there is a Remote app for MythTV called MyMote. Don't use MythTV, so I have no comment, but it's free so any Myth user out there should try it.

There is also a Front Row/DVD Player app. called DVDmote. I will try it next week and report. Screenshot looks ugly.

Others -- should search through iTunes over the weekend. All in all though, I was expecting, much, much more at this stage of the game. I still think it will happen, for sure in the next 6 to 12 months if not sooner, but this is what is missing:

-- Any kind of universal A/V component remote using a WiFi to IR repeater (this, done right, is the Holly Grail, as the current universal remotes out there are absurdly non-user friendly to program and expensive). This IMO is the kind of App the iPhone was made for.

-- Native app for Remote Buddy (The blog on iospirit.com says that they are working on it).

-- EyeTV remote from Elgato (they too are supposedly working on it).

-- Apple's remote upgraded to control Front Row, the Apple DVD Player and AppleTV.

See less See more
#77 ·
I have been using RowMote and have been very happy with that. It works with several programs and the Pro version also has mouse and keyboard build-in, in case I need them. However, iPod Touch still has not replaced my Logitech MX Air Mouse which I have been extremely happy past 2 years. The thing with iPod as a controller is that it simply is not always accessible (you need to turn it on, slide lock open, open the remote app if not on, wait for authentication.

#78 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tukom /forum/post/16992655

The thing with iPod as a controller is that it simply is not always accessible (you need to turn it on, slide lock open, open the remote app if not on, wait for authentication.

Didn't Rowmote have a stay connected option? Snatch does, and it works fine -- no waiting. I've set my old iPhone's autolock to "never" -- so once I start using it as a remote, it stay on and connected and every bit as instant as a "real" remote. Currently my "retired" iPhone servers as alarm clock/cooking timer(Big StopWatch) and HT Remote. Very handy around the house.

#82 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Todorov /forum/post/16994383

Didn't Rowmote have a stay connected option? Snatch does, and it works fine -- no waiting. I've set my old iPhone's autolock to "never" -- so once I start using it as a remote, it stay on and connected and every bit as instant as a "real" remote. Currently my "retired" iPhone servers as alarm clock/cooking timer(Big StopWatch) and HT Remote. Very handy around the house.

Yes Rowmote has a prevent sleepmode, but I still don't find it very practical. You still need to go through the "initialization" steps when you need the remote for the first time and surprisingly often you find your self grabbing a mouse or real remote control instead of iPod Touch.

#83 ·
I tried the remote buddy and I think it has a lot of potential, especially as it makes reading text easier from the sofa. It has a menu system how you control it. However, it did not support my Logitech MX Air Mouse, so it was not a perfect fit for me. For people using remote control as control device, I think it is quite useful application.

#88 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Todorov /forum/post/17224242

Another iPhone universal IR remote that hasn't been mentioned here before -- RedEye. RedEye vendor's website.

That iPhone app is available now, free from iTunes; the hardware is still in beta (they are promising a November release), for $188.

If anyone can add any info on this product, please do!

i too would appreciate any first hand accounts re redeye.

just saw the plug over at engadget.

i'm interested in finding out whether the app can be used to control xbmc/boxee running on mac.

#89 ·
Looks like RedEye is out of beta and shipping. One HUGE frustration with their website -- there is no list of supported devices (wild guess, because it is small). I would buy this thing instantly if I knew it supports my Denon AVRs out of the box.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleitry /forum/post/0

i'm interested in finding out whether the app can be used to control xbmc/boxee running on mac

??? Presumably some of the software only iPhone remotes out there already do -- why in the world would you want an IR remote to control Mac software?

#90 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Todorov /forum/post/17643106

Looks like RedEye is out of beta and shipping. One HUGE frustration with their website -- there is no list of supported devices (wild guess, because it is small). I would buy this thing instantly if I knew it supports my Denon AVRs out of the box.

??? Presumably some of the software only iPhone remotes out there already do -- why in the world would you want an IR remote to control Mac software?

fair question. i use XBMC Vmote or the Boxee app to control the related app on my mbp via wifi. with the mbp connected to my lcd via hdmi, I can sit in the living room and pretty much already use my 3gs to control the content on my tv.

the only reason i touch my logitech 1000 is to turn the lcd on and adjust the volume. based on my reading of redeye's site, redeye would replace my logitech. the question in my mind then is: could I use redeye (since it is supposed to run on a local wifi network) to also control my media centers on the mbp? if it could do that, i would most likely plunk down the change redeye is charging for their hardware/app.

to be fair, i'm not certain that redeye would care that much for xbmc. but maybe they would for boxee. either way, it would be cool to have a true all-in-one solution.

#91 ·
My advice would be to use one of the Mac specific remotes like Snatch or Rowmote -- whichever one works with XMBC/Boxee best, and the switch to the RedEye for your non-mac equipment -- just put all your remotes on the same screen, it is quick and easy to switch between apps.

#93 ·
Posted on this over in the Remotes forum, I guess here is a good place to discuss as well.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/...ersal-remotes/

https://thinkflood.com/products/redeye/what-is-redeye/

Has anyone played with this yet? I know the hardware just started shipping, but the software has been around a bit, from what I'm reading.

It says it supports "Virtually all home entertainment devices with infrared capabilities"... I wonder if it's learning, or if they plan to build a device database like Harmony?

EDIT: Interesting, from the release notes on their site:

Quote:
What’s New in This Version

1. Online database of infrared codes. Beginning with this release, RedEye customers can download infrared codes for a wide variety of devices, including TVs, cable and satellite set-top boxes, A/V receivers, and DVD players. Because these codes are stored online, to access them your RedEye must be on a home network with a live Internet connection. Initially the database has many devices from the most popular brands, but over the next several weeks we will continue to add new codes until we have a comprehensive database including even obscure products.

#94 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalani /forum/post/17651505

EDIT: Interesting, from the release notes on their site: "Initially the database has many devices from the most popular brands, but over the next several weeks we will continue to add new codes until we have a comprehensive database including even obscure products."

My point above was, can we please have a way of looking at the device list without first spending $188? Yes, I did download & install the free app and from a cursory glance it does nothing until detects (in this case doesn't) the $188 hardware.

#95 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Todorov /forum/post/17656198

My point above was, can we please have a way of looking at the device list without first spending $188?

yeah - Ted I agree; Wish they would allow a database device browse before purchase. In this demo video they show how easy that would be for them to allow - in the device section they show him browsing those devices - looks reasonably healthy... they also show a little of the 'learning' process;

the second video shows some cool control motions using the accelerometer in the iPhone...

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/...ersal-remotes/

ken

#96 ·
By the way - I decided to order one of these today and try it out; I'll post here what I find -

I use a Mini and AppleTV, have LG plasma display, Meridian audio, Lumagen video processing, Elite(Pioneer) disk-spinner, and a Comcast HD box -

I would be using one of the original iPhones for the remote on a 802.11g network via Time Capsule... that's the setup I'll test in a week or so when it arrives and report here...

ken

#99 ·
Brief update - Received the RedEye a couple of days ago; Started to do some setup... but looks like it's defective, so they are overnighting a new one...

Support is pretty decent - they took me through the steps to fix it - It keeps dropping network connection... A couple of quick things I noticed getting as far as I did - To read the on-line database of codes you have to be internet connected of course. That means your iPhone/Touch must use a 802.11g connection, so you'll want to insure that doesn't drop your 802.11n network speed (use a separate network connection);

For those wondering about size of database - It presented me with something well over 500 Manufacturers including all of mine Elite, LG, comcast cable box, Meridian; There's no Lumagen, so I'll teach that on...

So far setup looks reasonably straight forward but I didn't get very far yet...

It comes initially setup as a RedEye Wifi network that's open, so you'll want to use your own; The order is a bit tricky initially - you have to use the RedEye network first to tell it about your own; Once it connects, then you have to reset your iPhone back to your own. I was concerned the RedEye open network would remain, but they appropriately disable that one once you have your own in place - so no security holes in your network. You do give it the password though, so if you ever give the RedEye receiver away, make sure you reset it...

Otherwise nothing else yet to report - hopefully the replacement will be fine and I can get setup over the weekend; It's a Christmas present for the wife who hates using the multiple remotes...

more later...

ken

#101 ·
will do Ted - It's easy to check the manufacturer - the model numbers don't come up as they present you with a list of trials to see which set of codes to use for your particular model of that manufacturer; But I asked them on the phone today while I was there for tech support- they said once the mfg is in the database, virtually all model numbers are supported because they tend to use the same codes across devices... When you select a device, they require you to select the device type (TV, REceiver, etc.); That must be how they narrow the code groups sufficiently. When I did my LG TV for example, they only had 2 test trials to get it

I'll check mfg for you, but based on what I saw, the odds of your Denon being there are high and the Toshiba too; I'll check Oppo as well - I know the 83 is the new BD player, but they likely use the same codes as their other players... - stay tuned

I probably won't receive the replacement until Monday (maybe tomorrow); We discovered the problem though. From the factory the unit needs a software upgrade which is done automatically from the redEye app (assuming you are attached to internet); But during this update if your phone switches out of WiFi to 3G/Edge it screws it up and there's no way to recover; That's what mine did; They tell you to switch to Airplane mode to prevent this, but I didn't follow that direction; Once updated, you can operate without Airplane mode...

If anybody gets one - make sure on first turn Airplane mode on, then turn WiFi on; Once you update, you can just turn Airplane mode off again...

later...

ken

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.