Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 222 Old 03-22-2011, 02:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by slybacon View Post

redeye's wifi approach would seem to solve my requirement, yet I'm nervous about ken's report of bugginess and lack of updates

Another update, this time from Thinkflood. I wrote to ask why no recent updates (and even why the blog on their site hasn't been updated for ages).

They replied to say they're working on an iPad version.

So that's encouraging. Like Ken, I'm keen for iPad to play a role in house automation. Perhaps they'll fix some bugs too?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 222 Old 04-20-2011, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

I did some checking on the upcoming Beacon unit-
- Still scheduled for May release;
- An iDevice can control only 1 Beacon blaster at a time so no multi-room on first release); But you can copy your configuration to as many iDevices as you wish (so multi-room could be done if you're willing to have an iDevice in each room controlling it's Beacon unit);
- Blutooth Class is 2 (10 meters)- and that's the same as Apple iDevices use; Fine for single room, not beyond that;

This design works for me and I'll be getting one for evaluation and posting my results- but I don't think it should be viewed as a viable multi-room solution (outside of one per room with it's own iDevice)

ken

- by the way- caveat the above info with my reading between the lines of questions I've been posing on range etc. Nothing absolutely definitive, but these facts are based on responses from Griffin, not rumor; albeit my reading into some of the responses... just sayin'
post #183 of 222 Old 04-21-2011, 02:13 AM

thanks for the update, ken - I await your results with interest!

the multi-room scenario is still important for me though, so if the beacon is 10m only, I'm still wondering whether the redeye could work, especially if the base station comms can be improved....
post #184 of 222 Old 05-03-2011, 07:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Is any other remote app in the same league as CommandFusion?

If you have the skill, no reason to mess with lesser apps.

St Louis, MO - Lutron certified

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #185 of 222 Old 05-04-2011, 03:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Are you using CommandFusion without Windows running somewhere on your network? Because if not, that might be a very good reason...
post #186 of 222 Old 05-04-2011, 06:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefklc View Post

Are you using CommandFusion without Windows running somewhere on your network? Because if not, that might be a very good reason...

I do have a PC running XBMC and eventghost for control of devices with complex rs232 protocols. However, commandfusion now supports full scripting via JavaScript so am phasing the PC out of the loop for controlling those devices.

St Louis, MO - Lutron certified

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #187 of 222 Old 05-10-2011, 04:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maskdesigner View Post

I suggest you .peel.com/dl"]download the app. (this thing won't let me add a link, sorry)

It's a little raw but I saw a demo of it using the DVR functions of a Dish network box. It even had a neat gesture interface for common commands.

It's going to be really cool and I'm going to create a thread about peel and how it works for me.

So far I really like the app, it was great at a new years party, the TV was tuned to something lame and I was able to find a better program without using the cable box guide. peel is great if that's the only thing it will do, once you add the remote control feature it's going to be a great low budget alternative to high end remote systems.

Any more feedback on the Peel remote control app? Did you ever start a thread? Searching the forums lead me here.

I'm really interested in the Peel. I've been waiting for a dongle-less solution and a set up from some past Apple employees has some a-Peel.
post #188 of 222 Old 05-13-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OconRecon View Post

Any more feedback on the Peel remote control app? Did you ever start a thread? Searching the forums lead me here.

I'm really interested in the Peel. I've been waiting for a dongle-less solution and a set up from some past Apple employees has some a-Peel.

I purchased the peel.

I like the looks, it works very well, was simple to setup (with a caveat), does what it claims and I think with some tweaks might have a very bright future.....

With that said, I quit using it on a regular basis after about a week, the wife stopped using it in a day.

Why? The UI is nice, but you don't have a channel up and down or numbers way of changing channels. When I am bored and just surfing, sometimes I want to go channel to channel and not by category of TV shows. Another issue is when you know you want to watch something but am not sure what the category is so you spend 5 minutes trying to hunt for the show in the peel app. My brain has been set-up to do everything by channel numbers, not by genre. It can get annoying. I do still use it, but only when I don't know what I want to watch or am looking for something new and interesting.

The only other issue I have with it is the caveat mentioned above concerning setup. It sets up very easily, the problem is that since the info is saved on your iphone/ipad instead of a central location, each iOS device has to be setup to work with it instead of just getting a configuration from a central location. There are plusses such as only showing your favorite genres of shows, but setting up the basic equipment for each device gets to be a bore when there is probably a simple solution around it.

Also don't expect a ton of advanced functions. This is no PRONTO, for basic media watching the app is great.

What I personally want to see in the future:

1. Channel Up and Down and Channel Numbers
2. A central place to save your basic configurations so each iOS device can be quickly setup.
3. Maybe more advanced sub-menu remote options, but then again how often do we really use those and alot of advanced universal remotes don't do a great job with advanced functions.

Michael
post #189 of 222 Old 06-14-2011, 06:21 PM

yes! I received an email from griffin, stating that beacon is finally available

however, their store shows 'out of stock' and refers you to apple retail stores, who don't have it either..... the wait continues
post #190 of 222 Old 06-17-2011, 05:02 PM

got this today and already having issues. It wont learn any of my onkyo remote functions. It also wont power on my dvr when i hit watch tv activity. Also wont switch channel when i hit watch in the guide section of app.
post #191 of 222 Old 06-19-2011, 03:37 PM

Got my Beacon this weekend and set it up. Some minor glitches since I usually don't read the instructions. Turns on my dvr, tv and receiver. Sets the receiver to the correct input (this was a little difficult since it just labels inputs by number and I had to use trial and error to find out which input is which. Not logical. The inputs on my Denon are 1 2 3 but the input on the Dijit were 9 and 12 for my BD and DVR.)

BluRay plays fine.

Volume controls with gesture moves works finally when I set it up right.

Now if they would just come with a iPad version with a larger guide and landscape view.
post #192 of 222 Old 06-30-2011, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quick review. Finally received Beacon and configured. Infinitely more stability in software than the Red Eye. Had no problems setting up. Strong blasting. Fairly directional independent. Blutooth works well. Very solid operation compared to Red Eye (my Red Eye comparison is with the blaster not the dongle). AppleTV control works well. Easy setup and big library of devices; Niven looking device and small.

My biggest disappointments are
1) Although multiple iOS devices can be configured only one can be 'connected' to blutooth at a time. However they make reconnect fairly easy, I would prefer to have multiple concurrent connections. In this same vein, no way to save a configuration for download to another device, so each has to be configured via Dijit software. I assume this will eventually be added to the functionality

2) No color screen (I would guess this to be future as well)

3) No iPad specific version yet. Also a temporary situation I presume

Bottom line. This one is a keeper for me. Swapping out the Red Eye

ken
post #193 of 222 Old 07-11-2011, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

I got the Beacon/Dijit setup today too. Some learning curve, but once I got the hang of it pretty easy to set up. I agree with all that has been said here.

Ken - you only have to set up software on one iDevice. Once that's done, you can save the configuration to your Dijit online account. Then, when you start the app on another iDevice, you can log into that same account and it will give you the option to restore your online configuration. This is a huge timesaver if you have a few iPhones/iPads.

Few gripes:

1. No real macros for anything besides system on/off.

2. No way to enter discrete codes for direct access to inputs, etc. e.g. My Panny Plasma's remote doesn't have direct access to inputs. I'll have to find another way to get the remote to "learn" the discrete code.

3. No favorite channels! This is a big deal for my wife, who loves to hit a single button to get to favorite channels. It's hard to believe something so universally basic would be left out. Hopefully it will be included in a future Dijit update.

There! I've run circles of logic around you!
post #194 of 222 Old 07-14-2011, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

the account save works well- thanks for the tip;
I agree with the lack of macro beyond power commands- hoping that will change along with the favorite channels;
Otherwise, continues to perform well for me, including learning mode etc.

ken
post #195 of 222 Old 07-23-2011, 01:28 PM

Hi guys does anyone know if the Griffin Beacon and Dijit software has codes for a Windows Media Center remote? I have a HTPC integrated into my setup that I would like to control. How are you guys liking it thus far? On par with a harmony as far as IR accuracy and speed? I am debating if I should get a new harmony (or wait for refresh before buying) or go iOS with an iTouch or iPad...

PS - Drew64 any luck with your Onkyo yet? I've got an Onkyo AVR also.
post #196 of 222 Old 07-24-2011, 12:00 AM

I apologize for turning this thread 180° around, but would anybody know of a small remote able to control an iPod touch / iPhone through Bluetooth, just as the Apple Remote does when plugging them into a Apple Universal Dock, but only through infrared ?
I use an iPhone as music player in my car and would like to be able to control it from the top of the steering wheel.
And although I spent a considerable time searching the Internet for such a product, I found nothing.
BTW, such a Bluetooth substitute to the Apple Remote would also be quite useful for controlling a Mac Mini, when not directly in line of sight.
post #197 of 222 Old 08-15-2011, 02:41 PM

I'm currently using iRule, which works fairly well, but I have several concerns, including how long will it take for Android, and the fact that they do not intend to integrate with Web browsers.

The browser connection is a big one for me. I spend a lot of time at my computer. If I want to control something, a web browser is only a click away. Or, I can grab my iPhone out of my pocket, turn it on. Select the app. Wait for it to sync. Flip through all the tiny pages, and ... oh, hell, I'll just get up and do it.

So I played around with OpenRemote and I'm impressed. It's a bit thin on documentation, but I was able to get it working on my iPhone, and on a web page! I can pop open a web page from any computer in the house and turn the lights on or off. Pretty cool.

Richard
post #198 of 222 Old 08-26-2011, 12:01 PM

I have a spare 1st gen 16GB iPod Touch lying around, what better use than a HT remote, no?

My goal is to control:
- Onkyo TX-SR608
- Mac Mini
- EyeTV
- LG Blu-Ray player
- PS3
- Mitsubishi HC6800 Projector
- Maybe eventually IR-controlled dimmers

Total Control could be cool, but their website is terrible and their external links to required hardware are vague (don't make me dig through someone else's terrible website only to not find pricing...). Either way from what I can find it looks more expensive than the iRule.

The Peel is no good, I need to control many different devices.

I don't have Bluetooth so the Beacon is out for me.

I've been going through my options and it looks like this is going to be a minimum $145 endeavor, no? The iRule hardware is $95 plus the builder is $50.

Redeye is a possibility, but it's $199 and I've heard rumblings from kenliles of frequent network disconnections making it cumbersome. If it isn't Wife-friendly it's not a valid possibility.

It appears from the iRule hardware page that the standard ethernet device includes three outputs and comes with three emitters and one blaster. All of my components minus the projector (and the light dimmers) will be in a closed, hidden equipment cabinet with an opaque door. What would be the best way to get a signal to everything? Put a reflective coating on the back of the door and aim a blaster at it? Run an emitter through the soffits and connect it to the projector?

Are there any other worthwhile control solutions that I'm missing?

post #199 of 222 Old 08-29-2011, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

yes- I finally gave up on the Red-Eye. Although I like the WiFi design- just couldn't get enough reliability out of it;
Moved to the beacon and pretty happy with it. BT connects fast and it's a reliable blaster with a wide dispersion. Downsides (outside your gen1 iPod no BT of course) are lack of flexible Activity macros (power on-off stuff only), no iPad HD implementation, batteries fade pretty fast in the blaster.

I like it for now, but looking at the iRule solution possibly...

no experience with Total Control- sorry;

ken
post #200 of 222 Old 08-29-2011, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Richard-
which iRule gateway are you using?

ken
post #201 of 222 Old 08-29-2011, 05:01 PM

kenliles-

Thanks for the insight.

post #202 of 222 Old 08-31-2011, 11:00 PM

finally got my beacon

for some reason, I can't get the IR learning working... have tried to get beacon to learn commands from 3 different remotes from 3 different suppliers (denon, samsung, and an NZ set-top box that isn't in the list of known devices)

for the known devices (the denon and samsung), the known commands work fine - my experiment was to try and add a mute button for the denon and it wouldn't work, no matter how many times I retried...

when attempting the learning, I tried a range of distances etc - I can see when the beacon grabs the signal from the remote ok, as the flashing blue light on the unit turns to solid blue - but it never gets to the next screen and seems to eventually time out

reading about others with problem with the learning function, I did update to the latest firmware for beacon and the latest version of the dijit app, but no change...

of course, if there were a data entry function to add codes manually, that could suffice, but there isn't...

any ideas? anyone else suffering from this?
post #203 of 222 Old 09-01-2011, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

sly- I'll relay my experience as I had to do a fair amount of learning early on.

1) I initially had trouble getting the angle and position right. It seemed to want the remote angled up and fairly close (pointed at the blue light of course).
2) The process for me showed the blu light flashing when ready to learn, blue light OFF when learned. In the Device learning screen, the blue light would briefly go off on LEARNED, then move immediately to the next button so you could learn a whole device rapidly- works great actually
--------
3) This may be the problem actually- My previously learned commands work fine, but I just tried it again on a new device (this after I downloaded the new firmware a week ago or so) - the process seems to work, but the learned buttons don't seem to blast the command; so maybe the new firmware has a bug or something...

ken
post #204 of 222 Old 09-12-2011, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenliles
sly- I'll relay my experience as I had to do a fair amount of learning early on.

1) I initially had trouble getting the angle and position right. It seemed to want the remote angled up and fairly close (pointed at the blue light of course).
2) The process for me showed the blu light flashing when ready to learn, blue light OFF when learned. In the Device learning screen, the blue light would briefly go off on LEARNED, then move immediately to the next button so you could learn a whole device rapidly- works great actually
--------
3) This may be the problem actually- My previously learned commands work fine, but I just tried it again on a new device (this after I downloaded the new firmware a week ago or so) - the process seems to work, but the learned buttons don't seem to blast the command; so maybe the new firmware has a bug or something...

ken
Thanks for your advice, Ken.
Sadly, I still can't seem to get the learning mode to the 'next' screen... Does seem to read ok, the blue
Iight goes solid (rather than off), but no further. Tried releasing the button on the remote, repressing, keeping it held the whole time. Tried different angles and reflashed the firmware again but to no avail.... Very close to returning it. Frustrated.
post #205 of 222 Old 09-12-2011, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

damn- I can see why that would be frustrating. i wonder if the unit is defective;
the blue light action you're describing is a bit different than mine I think;
Let's see if we are on the same page: I assume the following:

1) You have an existing Device screen for whatever device you are learning
2) Go to that Device screen as if you are ready to use it
3) Hit the 'edit' button top right
4) Hit the 'Learn Existing Buttons' button
5) Takes you to a info screen explaining the learning process- which has an orange 'Start Learning' button to begin the actual learning
6) Pressing that button causes the Beacon unit's blue receiving light to flash rapidly and it takes you back to the device's page with one of the controls already selected (blue highlighted)
7) Press the device's remote corresponding button while pointing at the Beacon unit's flashing blue light
8) Beacon blue flashing light goes solid VERY briefly then the next device command button is auto selected on the device's page and the blue light goes back to flashing rapidly while waiting to learn the new command
9) Press Done when done

how does that compare to your situation?

ken
post #206 of 222 Old 09-13-2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenliles View Post

8) Beacon blue flashing light goes solid VERY briefly then the next device command button is auto selected on the device's page and the blue light goes back to flashing rapidly while waiting to learn the new command

for me, it never moves to the next button... just eventually seems to time out - I can wobble the remote about so that the blue light switches between flashing and solid (connection made), but there's never any progress

I get the same symptom when trying to adding and learning an individual button

I'm starting to wonder if there are differences in codes between US devices and european ones... though I'm puzzled that the 'standard' buttons on the dijit remote for my denon and samsung devices work fine - it's just the learning...
post #207 of 222 Old 09-13-2011, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Shoot. That sounds like a software issue alright. Other than checking for latest version of software and firmware (there was a firmware update not too long ago I believe) I got nothin' other than defective unit.

If I see or hear anything I'll sure pass it on

In general I've had good robust operation....

ken
post #208 of 222 Old 09-15-2011, 05:45 PM

many thanks for all your help, ken

unless some fine new firmware update arrives very soon, I think I must return it while I can....
post #209 of 222 Old 09-15-2011, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slybacon View Post

many thanks for all your help, ken

unless some fine new firmware update arrives very soon, I think I must return it while I can....

yeah, it does sound firmware-ish I agree;

ken
--anything for a Zealander good buddy-- kiwi or otherwise
post #210 of 222 Old 09-20-2011, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

By Lisa Johnston -- TWICE, 9/20/2011

Fremont, Calif. - Logitech has introduced Harmony Link, a device that when coupled with an app turns an iPad, iPhone or Android smartphone into a universal remote control.

The Harmony Link, which operates via Wi-Fi, is a puck-sized device designed to fit next to a TV. When set up with the Harmony Link app, the two enable users to browse a personalized schedule of their favorite shows, channels and genres while turning on the correct devices needed for the activity.

For example, if users select "Watch a movie," the DVD player and TV will turn on, or whatever combination of A/V equipment the user has predetermined. Up to eight devices can be controlled. An IR mini-blaster accessory is included, so devices inside closed furniture can be used.

It will be available in October for a $99.99 suggested retail.

More than one iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch or Android smartphone can be used at a time, Logitech said, each customized with the user's favorite channels.

The manufacturer said it has teamed with Rovi to provide program information for the Harmony Link app, including show synopses, movie overviews and images.

Source: TWICE

Seems kinda like the Red-Eye, in some ways. I don't get why Harmony keeps wanting to add program guide material to their devices (thinking of the early models here, perhaps)... my DVR does just fine in that regard.
Reply HTPC - Mac Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page