iPhone/iPod Touch Remote Apps - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 222 Old 09-21-2011, 10:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
so I got very excited when a new version of the firmware turned up (4.14), whose release notes mentioned fixes for the learning function! maybe my troubles with this device would soon be behind me?

so I fired everything up and whipped dijit around some remotes, learning buttons - and it was great to see the learning apparently working... I was able to get to the 'next' button when learning a pallet of existing buttons and one-offs worked too...

however, it's still not working properly: most of the time, the soft buttons do not work when used - actually, some work and some do not, with no obvious pattern to it, except to note that some (but not all) buttons from my set-top DVR box cannot be made to work at all, no matter how many times I repeat the learning exercise.... which is just extraordinary

I have contacted griffin support about it and will let you know what they say - I am, once again, close to returning the beacon

maybe the logitech unit will be better? I like that it uses wifi instead of bluetooth, for inter-room control, as I've mentioned previously
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 222 Old 09-22-2011, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

thanks for the update sly- sounds like they do have problems with learning; I did have to repeat learning sometimes, although the only specific one I couldn't eventually get was the repeating (hold till release) on the AppleTV mini-remote; It actually works, but does not repeat- otherwise I was able to get Comcast, Meridian, Pioneer, Lumagen, LG all working.

Although the new Blu-Tooth spec looks great, I agree about preferring a good WiFi solution... (Per the logitech solution Kalani posted about);

ken
post #213 of 222 Old 10-08-2011, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

not sure if anybody picked up on it, so I'll post it here. You guys notice the new iPhone 4Steve is the first to use the new low power Bluetooth 4 implementation (longer range, can automatically intimate wake ups, etc. etc) and coupled with the new Personal Assistant AI (SIRI) would make an incredible basis for remote control App... just saying'....

ken
post #214 of 222 Old 10-09-2011, 02:36 PM

very interesting, ken!
bluetooth4 might make for better reliability
and the siri might make voice control of our HTs a fun possibility

meanwhile, I'm going through a returns process for the griffin....
post #215 of 222 Old 10-12-2011, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Wow, I was just reading the iPhone 4S reviews (go to Macrumors for a good index, and Daring Fireball has a good review as well) and Siri does sound like it has amazing potential for HT -- imagine a new AppleTV with full Siri integration -- just tell it what you want it to play...

Indeed if there is a hook to the mythical Apple HDTV, a full time Siri interface just might be the ticket or I should say differentiator. Let's face it -- people hate remotes (I do). Telling your TV what to do might be a killer app.
post #216 of 222 Old 10-12-2011, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Todorov View Post

Wow, I was just reading the iPhone 4S reviews (go to Macrumors for a good index, and Daring Fireball has a good review as well) and Siri does sound like it has amazing potential for HT -- imagine a new AppleTV with full Siri integration -- just tell it what you want it to play...

Indeed if there is a hook to the mythical Apple HDTV, a full time Siri interface just might be the ticket or I should say differentiator. Let's face it -- people hate remotes (I do). Telling your TV what to do might be a killer app.

If it's extensible, then yes, it could be really cool. Of course, it would still need a decent back-end to tie into... I'm not sure that the perfect iPhone-iPad-based system is here just yet.

And I have to say, while it would certainly be cool, sometimes, to use a voice interface to your TV, other times it's less hassle to just stab at a button. Having to hold your phone up to your mouth to issue remote commands (or wear a headset all the time just to watch TV?) would be weird, too, and you'd need to, else someone on TV telling their teen to turn down the stereo would... turn down the stereo! LOL (And you can imagine an argument with your wife? "Her: Turn it down" "Me: No! Dangit! Siri, turn it back up!"

Lots of potential, regardless...
post #217 of 222 Old 11-15-2011, 05:35 AM

Quote:

30 Rock tried that, with hilarious results.
post #218 of 222 Old 01-26-2012, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Apple files for universal remote patent
Probably meaningless, but hope springs eternal.
post #219 of 222 Old 01-30-2012, 09:28 AM

Quote:

Apple files for universal remote patent
Probably meaningless, but hope springs eternal.

Woz must be pissed.
post #220 of 222 Old 04-16-2012, 01:48 PM

Is anyone here using the L5 Remote? I searched and found a couple threads but nobody mentioned whether or not it actually works.

I have a spare 1st gen iPod Touch. No bluetooth=no Beacon.

I can sell my 16GB for just about what I can buy a 2nd gen 8GB for, so I can do that if the Beacon is still my best bet.

But if the L5 works well enough, then no need.
post #221 of 222 Old 01-23-2013, 03:12 AM

I'm also curious about the L5/Roomie system. In both my primary zones my equipment is in other rooms, i've found manufacture remote apps are pretty slow and flakey.

Any opinions on the L5 or alternatives?

For Sale:

Salamander Synergy Triple 20 walnut/black aluminum. Like new.
B&W HTM62 Wenge
Rotel RSX-1057

Local only. Photo's up in gallery, PM for additional info.
post #222 of 222 Old 01-23-2013, 12:09 PM

I use irule with a global cache iTach with success. It works great but you have to be very DIY and willing to create all of your screens & button functions. My setup is easily usable by my parents, or a babysitter, etc.

irule = $100 for full version including feedback, $50 if you don't care about feedback or some advanced features
itach = ~$80 for wired, $100 for wireless

That will give you an IP to IR gateway that can support ~12 devices via IR.
Reply HTPC - Mac Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page