Firefly server a way to share iTunes with non-iTunes? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 01-16-2009, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Per http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital...ccess_Protocol, starting with iTunes 7, non iTunes players can't use the shared iTunes library.
Quote:

As of November 2008, the iTunes 7.0 DAAP authentication still hasn't been reverse engineered, so no third party application can stream from iTunes 7.0 servers.

I wanted to use my G4 as my iTunes server, but have been hamstrung by this.. I'm wondering if Firefly (http://www.fireflymediaserver.org/) can essentially run in place of iTunes and access my _existing_ iTunes library (playlists, album art) (despite the front page saying OS X support "coming soon", they have details on Mac downloads/installs, so I guess the front page is out of date.

Their web page sort of suggests that it is able to access iTunes Library files, but seems a little thin on details.. just wondering if anyone was using it.

This would be similar (I hope) to having 2 versions of iTunes.. the newest (for iPod, etc) and a pre-7 version (for streaming to non-iTunes clients in the house) (but from what I've found you can't really install 2 versions concurrently?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-16-2009, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
I'm curious: why would you need the newest iTunes for iPod? I don't remember exactly when iPod support was integrated into iTunes, but it must be at least several years (versions) ago.
post #3 of 15 Old 01-16-2009, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Further View Post

I'm curious: why would you need the newest iTunes for iPod? I don't remember exactly when iPod support was integrated into iTunes, but it must be at least several years (versions) ago.

iPod Mini 3G
Quote:

System Requirements
Mac
* USB 2.0 port
* Mac OS X v10.4.8 or later
* iTunes 7.4 or later

post #4 of 15 Old 01-16-2009, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

That's too bad. I assume you've checked with an older version of iTunes and it didn't work.

I don't know if it's possible for you, but if you've got a hard drive that is partitioned, you could put a system on each partition and boot up in the partition you need for the version of iTunes you need.
post #5 of 15 Old 01-16-2009, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Further View Post

That's too bad. I assume you've checked with an older version of iTunes and it didn't work.

I don't know if it's possible for you, but if you've got a hard drive that is partitioned, you could put a system on each partition and boot up in the partition you need for the version of iTunes you need.

I don't need music sharing _that_ badly

I'm simply checking to see if anyone is already running Firefly and can comment on it (to save myself time in case it does not accomplish what I want).. if I don't find anyone running it, I'll try it myself in a few days (busy weekend) and report back.
post #6 of 15 Old 01-16-2009, 11:29 AM

I use Firefly to share music from my iTunes on my Mac Pro, to my Mac HTPC. I can also easily share files with windows machines, and XBMC/Plex/Boxee (via daap) also direct IP address and XML is possibly. I never use iTunes shared libraries anymore since it allows me to share my FLAC files and anything else I throw at it. All in all it's a great program and for me it's been very stable.
post #7 of 15 Old 01-16-2009, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by strangedaze39 View Post

I use Firefly to share music from my iTunes on my Mac Pro, to my Mac HTPC. I can also easily share files with windows machines, and XBMC/Plex/Boxee (via daap) also direct IP address and XML is possibly. I never use iTunes shared libraries anymore since it allows me to share my FLAC files and anything else I throw at it. All in all it's a great program and for me it's been very stable.

Cool. Will it use/import and share my existing iTunes Library database (ie. so I get my playlists and ratings) ? ie. it'd be nice to have a single "source" library, and I'm more than fine with it being my iTunes lib.
post #8 of 15 Old 01-16-2009, 11:56 AM

zim: Depends what your importing it to, firefly takes advantage or ID3 tags and all the iTunes features, the only potential roadblock lies with the receiving software. As for XBMC I haven't figure out how to retain my playlist that are on my main machine but it doesn't take long to make a few new playlist. Everything else is perfect though.

It does seem pretty promising for absolute support though as far as XMBC/Plex(my fav.)/Boxee goes. Full support to iTunes libraries is solid.

If you do some testing, I'd love to hear results.
-Good Luck
post #9 of 15 Old 01-16-2009, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Had time for a quick test.. downloaded the DMG file and installed. Launched server on my G4 and launched iTunes on my work laptop (not my real goal for a client, but was the quick/dirty test).

Songs were there, ratings were there, playlists were there, artwork was there.

Hope to try with some linux clients later on the weekend.

So far this looks promising.
post #10 of 15 Old 01-20-2009, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Firefly seems to be a good replacement for iTunes music sharing, and does so without the encryption added in versions >= 7.0, so you can DAAP share to non-Itunes clients.

So far I've tested several clients on Linux and Windows, and depending on the client can see my playlists and artwork, tho other than iTunes itself, Songbird appears to be the only client that will use the Ratings info from Firefly. (have to install the DAAP client Add-on in Songbird)
post #11 of 15 Old 01-20-2009, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I don't use a sharing app. I just use whatever music app I want and point it to where I have my music saved. Everything plays just fine. itunes uses the same library, WMP uses the same library, VMC uses the same library.

I guess I just don't get this "sharing" thing.

HTPC: Intel e6300 2.8ghz, Intel DG45ID, 2gb DDR2, Radeon 5570, MCE IR receiver, Yamaha RX-V663 receiver via HDMI, panasonic ax100u, 145" S-I-L-V-E-R painted screen, 2x Roku 3's, chromecast, Amazon Fire TV, Vizio M602i-B3
post #12 of 15 Old 01-20-2009, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer75 View Post

I don't use a sharing app. I just use whatever music app I want and point it to where I have my music saved. Everything plays just fine. itunes uses the same library, WMP uses the same library, VMC uses the same library.

I guess I just don't get this "sharing" thing.

What about your playlists and song ratings? how do you point all of those client to the SAME info, or do you have to regenerate it in each client? That is the advantage of sharing.. only *1* central data/playlist/rating file.
post #13 of 15 Old 01-20-2009, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by zim2dive View Post

What about your playlists and song ratings? how do you point all of those client to the SAME info, or do you have to regenerate it in each client? That is the advantage of sharing.. only *1* central data/playlist/rating file.

Those wouldn't work in other players anyways and I only sync my ipod on one computer so I don't care about any of that. I just need those playlists and ratings on the one computer where I sync my ipod. The songs themselves can be played anywhere in my house or I can log in remotely and play them.

HTPC: Intel e6300 2.8ghz, Intel DG45ID, 2gb DDR2, Radeon 5570, MCE IR receiver, Yamaha RX-V663 receiver via HDMI, panasonic ax100u, 145" S-I-L-V-E-R painted screen, 2x Roku 3's, chromecast, Amazon Fire TV, Vizio M602i-B3
post #14 of 15 Old 01-20-2009, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer75 View Post

Those wouldn't work in other players anyways and I only sync my ipod on one computer so I don't care about any of that. I just need those playlists and ratings on the one computer where I sync my ipod. The songs themselves can be played anywhere in my house or I can log in remotely and play them.

Then until your needs change, I guess (library) sharing won't be meaningful to you I want my ratings and playlists to be available to (at least) 2 machines in the house.

I can get some of the features by direct file system sharing (ie. Songbird can import my iTunes lib, and possibly even run from it all the time?, but doesn't handle the smart playlists)... DAAP sharing gets me the smart playlists and ratings (with Songbird) but then I don't get album art (art only seems to work with local files, so far as I can tell, but I'm following up with the Add-on's authors)
post #15 of 15 Old 01-25-2009, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok, an update. I have yet to find a player under Linux, used as a DAAP client that will

a) get the ratings from DAAP
b) get the playlists (including the SMART playlists)
c) either get artwork from Firefly server (Firefly client is the only one) OR
d) be willing to artwork fetch for music playing via DAAP (NONE found) (all the other ones will only fetch artwork for local library music)

The closest I can come is either

a) Firefly Client (http://sourceforge.net/projects/fireflyclient/) which seems to have everything but the rating.
b) Songbird (seems to have everything but artwork)

Artwork may not be part of DAAP (not clear), but both Firefly client and iTunes (as a client) display artwork from my Firefly server.

Optimistic about Firefly client. Source is available too.. never been a Java guy, but maybe a reason to learn my 10th language

The nice thing about Firefly Client is that its Java so it should be very portable. Coupled with Firefly server, this would make a very flexible setup for anyone wanting to share their iTunes library with any non-iTunes client in the house.

Songbird is also available as a client for multiple platforms and looks promising.
Reply HTPC - Mac Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page