Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 123 Old 01-29-2009, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

"Steve, if it helps, I have been successful using avccap, & irecord on a motorola dct 6420 and avccap and firerecord on a motorola dct 3416"

Just so we're clear, do any of these apps channel change correctly for either of your STB's? If so, how does that compare to AVCNoodle?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 123 Old 01-29-2009, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoth View Post

Just so we're clear, do any of these apps channel change correctly for either of your STB's? If so, how does that compare to AVCNoodle?

All the apps I mentioned including AVCNoodle are able to change the channel on a timed record.

--Sheldon.

--sdm

visit my photo-retouching website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 123 Old 01-29-2009, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

sheldonmclean: Thanks for confirming.
post #34 of 123 Old 01-29-2009, 07:45 PM

Quote:

I'd have to go back a re-read this thread again but, if anyone here who has reported channel changing issues knows of another firewire application that DOES change their channels correctly - meaning an AVCNoodle deficiency, then I want to hear about that application.
- Steve

I can use AVCBrowser that came with the latest FireWire SDK from Apple to change channels on both the Scientific Atlanta 8300HD and Pace DC551PF, neither would work with AVCNoodle. AVCBrowser even comes with source code.
post #35 of 123 Old 01-30-2009, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Onazuka: That's good to know. I'll compare techniques and see what I'm missing. Thanks.
post #36 of 123 Old 02-01-2009, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I've posted beta1 of the v1.0.0 release, download details are on the original post on page #1.

I haven't added any new channel change support. I have cleaned up a lot internally, fixed a lot of bugs, reworked and shrunk the UI. Added a detailed view, right click menu with some shortcuts for previewing the recording etc.

Multiple STB support and scheduling is working via Titan. (no other EPG support yet).

Everything is working for me but I'd love to hear your feedback. I need to add some graphics to represent different STB's, so if you see a large '?' graphic then it's because I need to match your STB with a graphic.

I plan to update the blog (www.steventoth.net) over the next few days so I'll be able to provide some basic screenshots, a product overview, a FAQ and a payment mechanism.

If you plan to test this then:

1. Thank you.
2. Completely remove/delete any previous version from your system, if you have any odd startup issues try removing the ~/Library/Preferences/net.steventoth.AVCNoodle.plist file.

I'm all ears, great feedback so far.

- Steve
post #37 of 123 Old 02-05-2009, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

A basic product page along with a feature list is now available at http://steventoth.net/blog/avc-noodle/about/
post #38 of 123 Old 02-08-2009, 08:23 AM

I really want to buy and like this app and use it to time shift all HD channels to my Apple TV, but before I buy it I will still need some of these features/fixes:

1) Record and playback all HD Channels
HD Network/local channels seem to record and playback fine but other HD channels that I record (ESPN, HBO, etc) have some stuttering when I play them back in MPEG Streamclip. All say Copy Freely in the detailed view.
I tried Apple's AVCVideoCap and it does the same thing, OK for network/local and stutter for other HD Channels, but it says that network channels are Copy Freely and all other HD channels are Copy Once, this contradicts what AVVCNoodle says. Maybe I can't record the Copy Once channels ?

2) Channel changing for one of my 2 Comcast HD boxes
Apple's AVCBrowser can change the channel on all my boxes. (I know you are working on this)

3) Display real time video
VLC can't play any files that AVCNoodle records on my 2 Comcast HDboxes. MPEG Streamclip can play everything.

4) Automatic Export to iTunes and Apple TV
I can probably to this via scripts or my own app, but it would be nice to have built in.
post #39 of 123 Old 02-08-2009, 08:59 AM

Hmmm, I was jut playing around and I went to Comcast OnDemand and started playing an HD movie. I then started AVCNoodle recording. The resulting HD file plays fine in VLC, this is the only file I have gotten to play in VLC.
post #40 of 123 Old 02-08-2009, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Onazuka: Didn't you get my PM asking you for those two sample files that you'd mention? Another fireiwire guy is having similar issues with the 8300 with HBO content, and I think it's fixable.

Please respond.
post #41 of 123 Old 02-08-2009, 09:30 AM

Quote:

Onazuka: Didn't you get my PM asking you for those two sample files that you'd mention? Another fireiwire guy is having similar issues with the 8300 with HBO content, and I think it's fixable.

Please respond.

No, I never got your PM. I just checked again. I had the files all ready to go and I still have them. I just figured that you got busy or had enough information.

You probably know a lot more about this than I do but here's what I found today. AVCNoodle lists all my HD channels as Copy Freely in the details view when I try to record them. With Apple's AVCVideoCap it shows local/network and OnDemand as Copy Freely and all my other HD Channels (ESPN, HBO, etc.) as Copy One. There is a direct correlation for me to be able to record and play back HD channels if they are listed as Copy Freely in AVCVideoCap and not being able to play the HD channels if they are listed as Copy Once in AVCVideoCap. I don't know much about these copy protection issues but if you can fix the playback that would be great. I am definitely not trying to illegally copy anything, I just want to time shift HD to my AppleTV.
post #42 of 123 Old 02-08-2009, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Onazuka: PM resent.
post #43 of 123 Old 02-08-2009, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Onazuka: PM resent.

Thanks.

Can you send me another dump of ESPN? Either the current dump is completely managed, encrypted or something else. I'm double checking but a second dump would be good to have.

The other dumps look like I can repair them.

Thanks again.

- Steve
post #44 of 123 Old 02-08-2009, 01:53 PM

Quote:

Thanks.

Can you send me another dump of ESPN? Either the current dump is completely managed, encrypted or something else. I'm double checking but a second dump would be good to have.

The other dumps look like I can repair them.

Thanks again.

- Steve

I can send another ESPN file but the log in and password that you sent me for your ftp server doesn't work anymore.

I was out the past few hours and I used Apple's AVCVideoCap to record a movie of OnDemand. I can play this fine and strange that it works in VLC which to date had not been able to play anything. The even stranger thing is that I just did two test recordings with AVCNoodle, one on ESPN and another on HBO and both played in VLC! I can even watch it while AVCNoodle is recording. Hmmm... Could AVCVideoCap have changed some settings in the Pace box?

Anyway, the new ESPN recording looks fine now. The HBO still has the stutters in MPEG Steamclip, show blocking in VLC.
post #45 of 123 Old 02-08-2009, 01:56 PM

I have one other feature request if it's possible. It is to be able to watch a channel using VLC without recording it to disk. Now that VLC has miraculously started working for me, I thought that it would be good to be able to watch ESPN in a window while I work on the computer without setting up an arbitrary recording time and remembering to delete a large file later.
post #46 of 123 Old 02-08-2009, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onazuka View Post

I can send another ESPN file but the log in and password that you sent me for your ftp server doesn't work anymore.

Nothing has changed at my end, same ftp details are working for me.
post #47 of 123 Old 02-08-2009, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Onazuka:

What is the history of this file:

20090127_100744 DisneyHD225.m2ts

Was is recorded Live or was it a recording on your DVR that you played back?

- Steve
post #48 of 123 Old 02-28-2009, 08:23 PM

Quote:

I'd have to go back a re-read this thread again but, if anyone here who has reported channel changing issues knows of another firewire application that DOES change their channels correctly - meaning an AVCNoodle deficiency, then I want to hear about that application.

- Steve

Steve,
Whereas both AVCapture and FireRecord will properly change the channel on my Motorola DCH-3416 (Comcast), AVNoodle will not. It does record good mt2 files (viewable/streamable by VLC) on whatever channel it happens to be tuned to, though.

I'd love to have AVNoodle working on my setup - let me know if I can help test anything for you.
Freddy B.
post #49 of 123 Old 03-02-2009, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy B. View Post

Steve,
Whereas both AVCapture and FireRecord will properly change the channel on my Motorola DCH-3416 (Comcast), AVNoodle will not. It does record good mt2 files (viewable/streamable by VLC) on whatever channel it happens to be tuned to, though.

I'd love to have AVNoodle working on my setup - let me know if I can help test anything for you.
Freddy B.

Thanks Freddy, good feedback.

I need to find a way to debug this. I'll be in touch.

- Steve
post #50 of 123 Old 04-20-2009, 02:46 PM

My firewire just arrived today and wanted to test out the app.

I have a DCT-6200, and AVCNoodle detects it, but when it starts to record, nothing appears to be getting streamed.

Is this to do with my STB?
post #51 of 123 Old 04-20-2009, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0FlipZ0o View Post

My firewire just arrived today and wanted to test out the app.

I have a DCT-6200, and AVCNoodle detects it, but when it starts to record, nothing appears to be getting streamed.

Is this to do with my STB?

It could be.

Switch to ABC then try recording. What happens?

- Steve
post #52 of 123 Old 04-26-2009, 02:49 PM

I am getting an error and have no idea what it is about:

"Unable to display schedule error. The variable eventchannel is not defined".

Everything seems to work but I get this message. TitanTv has added my channels; I am able to have the program change channels; scheduled recordings occur. Any ideas?
post #53 of 123 Old 04-26-2009, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebly View Post

I am getting an error and have no idea what it is about:

"Unable to display schedule error. The variable eventchannel is not defined".

Everything seems to work but I get this message. TitanTv has added my channels; I am able to have the program change channels; scheduled recordings occur. Any ideas?

Odd. If you can, delete the AVCNoodle Recordings calendar and slowly add each schedule back until the problem shows itself. If you can identify the particular TVPI that causes the issues I'll be able to repro it here and bug fix.

- Steve
post #54 of 123 Old 04-27-2009, 05:36 PM

I went into iCal and deleted old scheduled recordings from when I was playing with the demo awhile back. That fixed it. Thanks.

Just to let you know, I purchased the license key yesterday. I am very happy with AVCNoodle. I am hoping to upgrade the mini to a new one soon. The 1.5 GHz PPC doesn't playback the HD recordings. Thanks again.
post #55 of 123 Old 04-27-2009, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I went into iCal and deleted old scheduled recordings from when I was playing with the demo awhile back. That fixed it. Thanks.

Just to let you know, I purchased the license key yesterday. I am very happy with AVCNoodle. I am hoping to upgrade the mini to a new one soon. The 1.5 GHz PPC doesn't playback the HD recordings. Thanks again.

Great news, good to know, welcome aboard!

- Steve
post #56 of 123 Old 05-25-2009, 11:43 PM

hello has anyone confirmed to use this software with a motorola sa 8300hd STB? I downloaded the beta demo and got a protection one status on a specific channel. thanks
post #57 of 123 Old 05-27-2009, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by almanzarj View Post

hello has anyone confirmed to use this software with a motorola sa 8300hd STB? I downloaded the beta demo and got a protection one status on a specific channel. thanks

Not that I'm aware of. Generally when I see that a user is having success with a specific model, or they mention it here then I update the list of STB's on the first post in this thread.

Regards,

- Steve
post #58 of 123 Old 05-28-2009, 06:14 PM

I have set up AVCNoodle to make some recordings on a weekly schedule. The upcoming shows are present in iCal, but only the first one or two show up in the iCal Scheduled Recordings of AVCNoodle. Any ideas on what to check?
post #59 of 123 Old 05-29-2009, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have set up AVCNoodle to make some recordings on a weekly schedule. The upcoming shows are present in iCal, but only the first one or two show up in the iCal Scheduled Recordings of AVCNoodle. Any ideas on what to check?

AVCNoodle looks at your iCal AVCNoodle Recordings calendar specifically, when it populates it's list. Assuming that the recordings were added to that calendar (and not any other) then they should all appear.

Double check to make sure they haven't been moved to a different calendar.

- Steve
post #60 of 123 Old 05-29-2009, 06:46 PM

So I unchecked the Home and Work calendars in iCal. The only calendar that is checked is the AVCNoodle iCal calendar. I created a new weekly recording that shows up in the AVCNoodle iCal calendar at the proper time every week from this point forward. But when I click the iCal Scheduled Recordings tab in AVCNoodle, only the first occurrence appears. I have missed some scheduled recordings because of this.

Does AVCNoodle only look so far ahead in iCal? Does it periodically refresh itself?
Reply HTPC - Mac Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page