AVCNoodle - STB Recording via Firewire - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 123 Old 09-29-2009, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
@gugy, your STB will appear in the UI list. Right click on it, select record.

Regards,

- Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 123 Old 09-29-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoth View Post

@gugy, your STB will appear in the UI list. Right click on it, select record.

Regards,

- Steve

Thanks, I will try that.
post #93 of 123 Old 10-08-2009, 05:28 AM

I'm now having a consistent problem with my recordings getting overwritten by the next recording. What makes this worse, is the second recording will still be tuned to the previous recording's channel, so the second recording does not work correctly either.

When will the next version be released that fixes this issue? Since I tend to record multiple programs over night, I can't move a file once it's done recording so that it isn't overwritten.

I can't use this software anymore until this is fixed. I realize this is beta software, but incorrectly-overwriting existing files is a fatal problem that should be addressed quickly.
post #94 of 123 Old 10-08-2009, 06:00 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

I can't use this software anymore until this is fixed. I realize this is beta software, but incorrectly-overwriting existing files is a fatal problem that should be addressed quickly

Which STB model are you using, is it on Steve's list supporting channel changing and, if not, how are you changing channels?

You say that this is a consistent problem for you now--does that mean at some point previously AVCNoodle was working properly for you?
post #95 of 123 Old 10-08-2009, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I have a newer dev build with this issue resolved. Contact me privately if you'd like an early preview build which should resolve your issues.
post #96 of 123 Old 10-08-2009, 10:45 AM

It's a motorola box that is on the list (I'm not at home and I don't remember the model number 6200 maybe?). I've been using FireRecord for a couple years with this box and channel changing has never been an issue.

When I first bought the AVCNoodle software it worked great. Then I started having overwriting issues and I trashed the prefs, cleared out iCal and basically started fresh. It worked well for a few days, but then it has happened every time I try to record something since. I've only had the software about 3 weeks.

Last night I recorded a show and double checked to make sure it was recording. It stopped and completed successfully. I scheduled 2 more items to record overnight, one on the same channel, and one on a different channel. When I checked this morning, I had ONE file on my hard drive. It was recorded at the time of the last scheduled recording, but was on the original channel.
post #97 of 123 Old 10-08-2009, 10:49 AM

I've contacted the Dev to get an updated version of the software. One thing I'm happy to report is the developer's support is great!
post #98 of 123 Old 10-08-2009, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks larsonian.

I should be able to get you the latest beta very shortly, it fixes this issue for sure.
post #99 of 123 Old 10-10-2009, 02:37 PM

stoth,

I made it work. Thanks for the right click tip.

One more question. During the 1 minute recording, I notice quite a few garbage and pixel issues during playback, is that normal? If I purchase the full version, is that going to disappear?
My stb is SA 8300 from Time Warner.

Thanks
post #100 of 123 Old 10-11-2009, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Garbage is not normal and not something a fully paid version will fix.
post #101 of 123 Old 10-11-2009, 10:24 AM

so what do you think is the reason this is happening?
I have a MacBook Pro with Snow Leopard and like I mentioned a SA 8300 STB.

Here are couple stills from the moments I get garbage pixels.
Thanks
LL
LL
post #102 of 123 Old 10-11-2009, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

It's probably the STB dropping packets or generating bad packets. It wouldn't be the first time we've seen this happen. I've looked at custom streams a number of times (From AVCNoodle and other apps), in all cases the STB wasn't generating the packets correctly (or Apple's firewire driver was trashing them).

- Steve
post #103 of 123 Old 10-11-2009, 11:50 AM

OK,
So I guess is something I just have to live with. I believe I have the latest firmware for firewire.
I am wondering what I could do to make this happening less frequently. It is not like is very bad but in 1 minute clip it happened 4 times.
Thanks
post #104 of 123 Old 10-15-2009, 09:28 AM
dcj

Before I report the problems, I'll note that I have a Motorola DCT 3416 I PVR connected to an iMac running 10.5.8 via a 10 meter Firewire cable (actually two 5 meter cables, one of which has a built-in repeater).

I started using AVCNoodle this morning, having just received the license key. Recording of SD channels happens correctly with a VLC display. However, HD channels cannot be understood by either VLC or MPEG Streamclip. VLC reports the following:

main error: no suitable decoder module for fourcc `undf'.
VLC probably does not support this sound or video format.

Channel changing works correctly.

As a comparison, AVCVideoCap recorded identical streams, i.e. same channels and identical length, that could be understood and displayed correctly by VLC and MPEG Streamclip.
post #105 of 123 Old 10-15-2009, 09:36 AM
dcj

I thought I would post a separate message for features wanted to keep the thread distinct from problems.

Before I report the problems, I'll note that I have a Motorola DCT 3416 I PVR connected to an iMac running 10.5.8 via a 10 meter Firewire cable (actually two 5 meter cables, one of which has a built-in repeater).

1. I cannot find a way to record the stream from the PVR when it is replaying something it has recorded. Is that on a particular channel? This is important for me because I would like to edit and preserve certain recordings on my iMac while using the PVR for the original recording.

2. I would also like a way to begin recording immediately rather than have to set up a scheduled recording a minute or so in the future.
post #106 of 123 Old 10-23-2009, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcj View Post

I thought I would post a separate message for features wanted to keep the thread distinct from problems.

1. I cannot find a way to record the stream from the PVR when it is replaying something it has recorded. Is that on a particular channel? This is important for me because I would like to edit and preserve certain recordings on my iMac while using the PVR for the original recording.

2. I would also like a way to begin recording immediately rather than have to set up a scheduled recording a minute or so in the future.

I'm also not able to record off of the PVR on my 3416. I'm attempting to record to a MB Pro 10.6.1... and when I try to record from the PVR, data seems to be coming in, but all I get is a black screen when replaying the file in VLC. Would like to purchase AVCNoodle to get this data off of my PVR, but need to get past this hurdle. Thanks!
post #107 of 123 Old 10-23-2009, 11:14 AM

stoth,

I have a question, when you buy the AVC Noodle software I understand the license is tied to a specific STB.
Once you upgrade the STB or change service to a new cable provider, do I have to buy again AVC or just switch the serial of the STB on the software to make it work?
Thanks
post #108 of 123 Old 10-28-2009, 05:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

dcj: Can you send me a sample of the recording from AVCNoodle via ftp? If yes I'll PM you the ftp server details. This isn't something I've seen before so I'd like to investigate this.
post #109 of 123 Old 10-28-2009, 05:29 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Tigidal: Does AVCNoodle show the channel as Copy Freely? If not, it's possible that the STB is refusing to decrypt it. You could also try this with a regular 'network' channel and see if the same behavior exists.
post #110 of 123 Old 02-08-2010, 01:28 PM

Using a Moto DCT-6200 - many - but not all - of the HD channels look like they're recording - but files will not playback either in VLC or Plex (or anything I've tried). Yet, the same channels recorded using AVCapture DO record and playback. Not sure what to try next. Using version 1.0.0-b1
post #111 of 123 Old 02-09-2010, 04:25 AM

I recently purchased AVCNoodle and am having a hard time with the scheduling. I use titantv, and when I open the tvpi file, AVCNoodle tells me it could not be opened. If I open the file a few times in a row it eventually works. Then the show will come up in the scheduled recordings, but the time is always 00:00 so nothing records.

I'm using a 2.53 GHz Core 2 Duo Mac Mini running Snow Leopard with a Motorola DCT 6416. Channel changing seems to work ok with it.
post #112 of 123 Old 02-17-2010, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionD View Post

I recently purchased AVCNoodle and am having a hard time with the scheduling. I use titantv, and when I open the tvpi file, AVCNoodle tells me it could not be opened. If I open the file a few times in a row it eventually works. Then the show will come up in the scheduled recordings, but the time is always 00:00 so nothing records.

I'm using a 2.53 GHz Core 2 Duo Mac Mini running Snow Leopard with a Motorola DCT 6416. Channel changing seems to work ok with it.

Just wanted to follow up on a solution to my problem. I think it had something to do with OSX short time or whatever it's called and the time TitanTV was giving. Got them both on 24 hour time and it schedules fine. Still have the issue with the tvpi files not opening on the first try though.
post #113 of 123 Old 02-18-2010, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionD View Post

Just wanted to follow up on a solution to my problem. I think it had something to do with OSX short time or whatever it's called and the time TitanTV was giving. Got them both on 24 hour time and it schedules fine. Still have the issue with the tvpi files not opening on the first try though.

Can you PM me the tvpi file?

Thx

- Steve
post #114 of 123 Old 03-08-2010, 08:40 AM

delete this
post #115 of 123 Old 03-09-2010, 08:24 PM

I am still having issues with AVCNoodle not adding scheduled recordings to iCal and would like to try a fresh install. What do I need to remove in order to accomplish this? Do I need to remove anything iCal wise?

I noticed references to a updated version awhile back. What is it's status?

It's good to see that AVCNoodle is working for some, so I hope it is just something messed up on my computer.

My current status is that I can't record immediate or scheduled recordings. AVCNoodle sees the Motorola DCT-6200 STB. I am running 10.6.2 on a 2 GHz Core 2 Duo Mini.

I am able to still use AVCVideoCapture but can't really schedule recordings because it's calendar doesn't extend past 2008.

FireRecord doesn't appear to like Snow Leopard.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
post #116 of 123 Old 03-09-2010, 08:26 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebly View Post

FireRecord doesn't appear to like Snow Leopard.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I haven't had any trouble with FireRecord and Snow Leopard on my Mac Pro (Early 2008).
post #117 of 123 Old 03-09-2010, 08:43 PM

That's interesting. It doesn't find my STB. It seems strange that AVCVideoCapture always works. It may be what ever issue I am having with AVCNoodle is also affecting FireRecord. Thanks for the info.
post #118 of 123 Old 03-11-2010, 07:40 PM

Silly and useless info about what cable companies can and can't do to data being output from a fw port removed. As the author of this post I am formally requesting that it not be reproduced without my written consent.
post #119 of 123 Old 03-12-2010, 05:20 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Dave, if I could make a request as a fellow user in the forum, this thread is about AVCNoodle--and only AVCNoodle--and we're lucky that the developer drops in and out of here to help troubleshoot his software. Let's not turn this into another general recording over firewire thread. We already have one of those.
post #120 of 123 Old 03-12-2010, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefklc View Post

Dave, if I could make a request as a fellow user in the forum, this thread is about AVCNoodle--and only AVCNoodle--and we're lucky that the developer drops in and out of here to help troubleshoot his software. Let's not turn this into another general recording over firewire thread. We already have one of those.

This is an odd request since on the face of it this thread seems to be more often then not dealing with problems recording from a users FW port on their cable box and the information I provided showed some potentially valuable information about the things cable franchices can and cant do..

I'll bow to your best judgement and keep the information off the forums and further ask that it not be restored without my consent.

Have a good day!
Reply HTPC - Mac Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page