post #31 of 37 Old 08-21-2009, 08:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Further View Post

Are you aware that VLC was updated several weeks ago (version 1.0.1) with many new HD codecs? If you haven't upgraded yet, it might be worth trying it again.

Yes. I have it notify me automatically. No joy.

If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 Old 08-23-2009, 10:38 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancinbear View Post

I'd recommend checking their wiki, or posting your question in the Plex forums. It's a great community and their very helpful (just like AVS!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubavs View Post

Thanks. I did post there (after searching their forums for subtitles and trying all the suggestions available) prior to posting here. Their answer was to do what I'd already tried, so it appears even though MakeMKV says it has ripped the subtitles, either Plex cannot access them or MakeMKV actually never ripped them.

OK. Finally found out (thanks to the very helpful folks over in the MakeMKV (Mac) forum):

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuyenvo View Post

That's correct. Plex and VLC cannot play PGS subtitles. These are the subtitles you rip using the MakeMKV software. Check out this thread on another forum:

http://www.videohelp.com/forum/archi...e-t368209.html

I appreciate you folks' input, BTW!

If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world.

post #33 of 37 Old 08-24-2009, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have tried the last two builds of Plex. In all honesty, it's not for me. Scraping issue after scraping issue. Just when I get it running ok, all of a sudden it's forgotten which tv episodes or movies I had.

The navigation is nuts. I really tried hard to sell my wife on this. Let's face it guys, if the wife's not happy....ain't nobody happy. It was just too much work for her to learn it all and then have it break down or have a plugin go on the fritz. It's just gotta work...all the time, not sometimes.

Plex was fun to play around with and a great tinker toy for the Man Cave, but it's nowhere near ready for prime time.

Sorry Plex developers. I think you're on the right road, but this family has gotta flush it.
post #34 of 37 Old 08-26-2009, 09:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longranger View Post

I have tried the last two builds of Plex. In all honesty, it's not for me. Scraping issue after scraping issue. Just when I get it running ok, all of a sudden it's forgotten which tv episodes or movies I had.

The navigation is nuts. I really tried hard to sell my wife on this. Let's face it guys, if the wife's not happy....ain't nobody happy. It was just too much work for her to learn it all and then have it break down or have a plugin go on the fritz. It's just gotta work...all the time, not sometimes.

Plex was fun to play around with and a great tinker toy for the Man Cave, but it's nowhere near ready for prime time.

Sorry Plex developers. I think you're on the right road, but this family has gotta flush it.

Did you try out the plex-friendly Aeon skin? It is 10 times better than MediaStream, which is the default skin. I think your family would like Aeon a lot more.
post #35 of 37 Old 10-28-2009, 08:04 AM
AVS Club Gold

0.8.3 is out and it addresses some of the SL issues-- particularly the audio issue. Apparently it also fixed the IMDB scraper uselessness under Leopard and SL. Yay!

PSN: KyFriedNate | XBL: KyFriedNate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #36 of 37 Old 10-30-2009, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodean View Post

I tried several media center front end apps last year and decided I liked Boxee the best on my Mac, could someone that has tried both Plex and Boxee explain why they prefer Plex?

The manner in which Boxee scrapes audio, in particular, was extremely frustrating for me. It constantly gave wrong information on various audio tracks, and there was no way to change it. Also, I wasn't necessarily a big fan of the social integration of Boxee. If there was a way to turn that off, it might be better. Also, no way to change the skin, you are stuck with what they give you.

With the addition of the app store in Plex, it's just about perfect. There are still some scraping issues with TV Shows in particular, but it's very usable for my entire family, and nearly all necessary features are mapped into my Harmony One remote.

The biggest problem I have with both of these programs is the overall "clunkiness" of the online content. I don't want to view by provider, I want to view by program, or even type, similar to the EPG on a cable or satellite box. If I'm looking for "Chuck", I just want to select it and watch, not figure out which plugin it's a part of.

I'm not sure how anyone is planning to bridge that issue, but it will be welcomed by me when it's solved.
post #37 of 37 Old 10-31-2009, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan_R View Post

0.8.3 is out and it addresses some of the SL issues-- particularly the audio issue. Apparently it also fixed the IMDB scraper uselessness under Leopard and SL. Yay!

I wonder if this means that they will carry 2 versions into 9 (with the database changes) or just proceed with with the SL version. I did not want to upgrade to SL so I hope they will support both since at this time I really do not want to switch to SL.

One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.
~Bob Marley~
Reply HTPC - Mac Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page