No recording w/ AVCVideoCap - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 10-19-2009, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've seen this topic posted several times, but with no solid resolution... so here goes one more time...

I've been trying to use AVCVideoCap to get some college basketball games off my Moto 3416 DVR to my Macbook Pro. So far, the images being recorded are perfect, but there is no sound. I've seen a few posts about plugging/unplugging and turning on the DVR and AVCVideoCap program in certain sequences to get things to work... but so far nothing has helped.

Does anyone have a sure-fire way to get sound transferred? Is there another program I can use other than AVCVideoCap that will get it to work? I'm open to any suggestion.

Many thanks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-19-2009, 10:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Try FireRecord or AVCNoodle.
post #3 of 7 Old 10-20-2009, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefklc View Post

Try FireRecord or AVCNoodle.

Tried FireRecord and it actually worked the first test try but then couldn't even locate the box on the second try. Tried all the restarts and unplugging, but nothing has worked to get it going again. Super-frustrating. Are there any secrets I'm missing???
post #4 of 7 Old 10-21-2009, 12:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

You may find some tips in the 5 year old "recording over firewire" thread, and if you buy AVCNoodle from Steve Toth, you'll get great support and hand-holding from him in his thread here.

I don't have any of the problems you're experiencing with FireRecord--I never have to plug/unplug/restart anything--but then I'm not using a Motorola box or an Intel Mac. I record all my EyeTV (firewire and USB) and firewire captures with a dual G4 MDD in 10.5.8--if I have any "secret" to share about my DVR/PVR back end it's this: I don't let it sleep, everything stays connected and runs 24/7 recording and serving up files around the house. So for me, "FireRecord" never loses contact with my SA 3250--but since I have multiple firewire devices connected to the MDD I do have to go into Preferences > Devices before each and every recording and just make sure the 3250 is selected as my tuner unit. I select it, I get the green checkmark, and I'm good to start my recording.

It doesn't bother me that this is a very manual process with FireRecord because 1) it works, it has always been one of the big advantages of going Mac/OS X versus PC, yes, I still find it amazing that Comcast has been so accommodating all these years and 2) because I rely on EyeTV for the bulk of the HD that I record--I only need firewire for the special things that aren't in the clear, which for me is at most 2-3 shows per week and the occasional HD On Demand movie.

The second secret or tip I might share with you is a general one about Mac home theater: it's a whole lot less frustrating, things will usually work out better, and you'll enjoy your experience more, if once you set a Mac up in the HT, you leave it set up on the network, leave it connected to externals and don't disconnect it, don't dock it and then remove it, and reconnect later, etc. That may or may not be what you're doing with the MBP, but that's just a word to the wise (from someone who has used Mac laptops in the HT for 4 of the past 5 years...leave them in place.)

If you still can't get it to work after all that, try Steve's firewire capture program, and/or consider the Hauppauge HD PVR--both would probably prove more reliable.
post #5 of 7 Old 10-22-2009, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

You may find some tips in the 5 year old "recording over firewire" thread, and if you buy AVCNoodle from Steve Toth, you'll get great support and hand-holding from him in his thread here.

I don't have any of the problems you're experiencing with FireRecord--I never have to plug/unplug/restart anything--but then I'm not using a Motorola box or an Intel Mac. I record all my EyeTV (firewire and USB) and firewire captures with a dual G4 MDD in 10.5.8--if I have any "secret" to share about my DVR/PVR back end it's this: I don't let it sleep, everything stays connected and runs 24/7 recording and serving up files around the house. So for me, "FireRecord" never loses contact with my SA 3250--but since I have multiple firewire devices connected to the MDD I do have to go into Preferences > Devices before each and every recording and just make sure the 3250 is selected as my tuner unit. I select it, I get the green checkmark, and I'm good to start my recording.

It doesn't bother me that this is a very manual process with FireRecord because 1) it works, it has always been one of the big advantages of going Mac/OS X versus PC, yes, I still find it amazing that Comcast has been so accommodating all these years and 2) because I rely on EyeTV for the bulk of the HD that I record--I only need firewire for the special things that aren't in the clear, which for me is at most 2-3 shows per week and the occasional HD On Demand movie.

The second secret or tip I might share with you is a general one about Mac home theater: it's a whole lot less frustrating, things will usually work out better, and you'll enjoy your experience more, if once you set a Mac up in the HT, you leave it set up on the network, leave it connected to externals and don't disconnect it, don't dock it and then remove it, and reconnect later, etc. That may or may not be what you're doing with the MBP, but that's just a word to the wise (from someone who has used Mac laptops in the HT for 4 of the past 5 years...leave them in place.)

If you still can't get it to work after all that, try Steve's firewire capture program, and/or consider the Hauppauge HD PVR--both would probably prove more reliable.

Thanks for the reply and the ideas... I'm going to give it another attempt this weekend, and will post the results.
post #6 of 7 Old 11-02-2009, 08:58 AM

Quote:

...I only need firewire for the special things that aren't in the clear, which for me is at most 2-3 shows per week and the occasional HD On Demand movie.

wait... what?
How are you using the Firewire route to capture On Demand and "things that aren't in the clear" (which I would guess means they're flagged as copy once or copy none)? I'm looking into getting the Hauppauge HDPVR for archiving that sort of thing, but if you know of a way to circumvent the broadcast flags over FW, please spill the beans, chefklc!
post #7 of 7 Old 11-02-2009, 12:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

How are you using the Firewire route to capture On Demand and "things that aren't in the clear" (which I would guess means they're flagged as copy once or copy none)?

I'm not sure there are any beans to spill...

My EyeTV tuners record HD QAM that's "in the clear," which in my area with Comcast basically means just PBS and the national broadcast networks ABC, NBC, Fox and CBS. Everything else is encrypted by Comcast and can't be recorded over the basic cable coax line because EyeTV can't "see" them.

Then, I also have an SA 3250 STB (not a DVR) from Comcast, and yes, over firewire I can record any HD channel that's included in the digital tier--that means any "free" movie or TV show offered in the Comcast HD On Demand channel and anything on the individual HD channels themselves--so in my case that's things like Sons of Anarchy, Mad Men, Burn Notice, Battlestar Galactica etc. I've never had to check how any channel or show is flagged because everything I've wanted has always just worked for me over firewire. (And once something is recorded, I've always been able to move it around freely from Mac to Mac, transcode it, copy it, archive it, etc. I don't subscribe to any "premium" HD channels like HBO or Showtime, I presume I wouldn't be able to record those over firewire, but that's where the Hauppauge might help.)
Reply HTPC - Mac Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page